Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Sooooo . . . . I have fatback in my freezer. It's a big, flat piece of stuff, skin on, minimal meat on. It comes to me thanks to our meat CSA (so, local humane pig) and will probably be delicious if I do something with it. Trouble is, I have no idea what to do with it. The two times I have failed to take skin off of pork (both times with braising pork shoulder) it has wound up edible but weird in texture. Those instances had meat attached that made it okay. This is mostly skin and fat. I've googled extensively and the best idea I've gotten so far is to try out cracklings, but I can't help but feel like there's got to be some obvious, amazing, crazy work-intensive GWStastic thing I can do with this stuff. I have a meat grinder and a bunch of other appliances, and I'm not averse to work or long projects at all, so: if anyone has any ideas, hit me? I want to do this big weird flat pig justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

cereal eater posted:

Haha I should've made it more clear; I'm a noob, and literally wondering what to do with all this bacon grease. How to store it, what sort of vessel. But I also need some ideas on what to do with it, and those sound delicious, how do I use it for cornbread?

How and when do I use it in general?

As long as you let it cool, you can toss it in the fridge or freezer in a tupperware and it'll keep for a good long time. Bacon fat never sticks around in my kitchen longer than two weeks so I don't know how long it'll keep in the fridge, and in the freezer rendered fat keeps basically forever. I would recommend straining it or just waiting until it settles if you see that you're getting little black or meaty bits in your storage container, as that burned flavor is not what you're going for. Whenever you want to use it, just replace any fat source, like butter and / or oil, in a recipe (like a cornbread recipe, or a buttermilk biscuit recipe) with bacon fat that you've melted until it's just warm in the microwave.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I picked up a huge bunch of golden beets at the farmer's market today. I think I know what I'm doing with the beets themselves, but it seems a waste to pitch the huge amount of greens attached. But I have no idea what they taste like or how to cook them. The guy at the farmer's market said to remove the ribs and cook them more like spinach or kale than chard or collard greens. My instinct with every unknown green is some variation on this recipe, but if someone has a more unique recipe I'd love to hear it. (Can they be chip-ified like kale?)

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a place to start when it comes to cooking for yourself? Like, a foolproof Idiot's Guide to cooking? I can fry an egg, I can boil water and pasta, and I can put pesto sauce, penne and chicken together and come up with a thing to eat, but cooking itself... I really do not have any natural talent for it. :v:

Do I just pick up a sandwich recipe or something, or...?

Pasta is a great place to start, though the pasta can overcook so you will encounter the timing issues that pretty much every cook runs into. Making sure everything finishes at the same time is one of the hardest parts of cooking. Try making the pesto for yourself next time, or try making meatballs in sauce on your own, or picatta, or scampi, or any other dish that appeals to you--most sauces can be made well in advance, and that will allow you to focus on the other stuff. When you're ready, step it up to carbonara and more difficult technique-driven stuff. (I will say that most red sauce recipes make a fuckton of sauce, and you should probably halve or quarter those recipes, because if they don't come out great you'll be forced to eat it again and again and you will be filled with spite for your mediocre sauce. Definitely speaking from experience on that one.) Once you've got a sauce down that you love, try making the pasta from scratch. Or find a dessert that you love and add that to your repertoire. Think about what you like to eat at a restaurant, look at the recipe and read it all the way through, and if it feels manageable, give it a shot.

I also like to recommend that people who think they have no talent for cooking start with salads, particularly if you're like me and you don't like following recipes exactly. A vinaigrette is both quite easy to put together and forgiving to experimentation. You can put almost anything on a salad. You can cook all sorts of stuff to throw in it and not have to worry about the rest of the dish getting overcooked or drying out or getting cold, and if some portion of it comes out awful or oversalted or weird, guess what? You don't have to put it on the salad. It also will help you think about flavor pairings. However, it does require a real love for salads and a willingness to explore weird and flavorful oils and vinegars and other weird stuff to put in dressings.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 16, 2013

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

uberwekkness posted:

So, I grabbed a swai fillet from the store, and I'm thinking of coating it in breadcrumbs with some Italian seasoning or something, and frying it a little in the pan. Maybe squeezing some lemon on it after. Am I missing a step? Do I need to coat it in something before the breadcrumbs? I rarely cook fish (husband hates it, so I only even think about making it when he's out of town), so any suggestions on heat, or length of time to cook it? Help!

Generally speaking, when you're breading something, you want to put some kind of wet thing on first to make the breadcrumbs stick; with nothing to adhere them, they'll just crumble away in the pan. Typically you use egg, or buttermilk, or some other viscous liquid. If you want something super easy (and don't want to crack an egg for just one fish filet) you could always season up your filet, put seasoned breadcrumbs and a bit of butter on top, and bake (or broil, if the filet is thin enough) for crispy topping and tasty filet without the hassle of the pan / making a full-on breading station.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Ron Jeremy posted:

Will it kill me? Whole chicken, three days past expiration date. I don't think I'll eat it, but stock maybe? I hate to throw poo poo away.

Expirations are generally pretty conservative. If it smells fine and doesn't look weird, you can (and probably should) eat it. If you're worried, make chicken soup and boil the crap out of it.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Re: salt; Ruhlman's Twenty has a technique for eating zucchini raw that just involves julienning or mandolining, and then salting the zucchini down and letting it sit for 15 minutes or so. Doing that makes it flexible and amazing and delicious after you give it a bit of a rinse; maybe that's a way to use a fancy or herbed salts?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Kalenden posted:

I have a request for a suggestion for Recipe Management software or a website. It has to to be able to import recipes from websites, able to have some form of organization (such that recipes containing X can easily be found), able to be used from multiple computers by multiple people and also not to be too hard to do. Also for free if possible.

It's for easily exchanging and organizing recipes between my mom and myself. We get a lot of inspiration from online recipes and currently use Google Docs with links to the recipes. That has some downsides, it is hard to quickly find recipes containing X or Z and is dependent on the recipes staying online. It is a great and fast way to share something though.

So any suggestions?

I really like Evernote, and apparently they have a cooking / food-specific version called Evernote Food (though I haven't tried that personally). There's also a browser extension called Evernote Web Clipper that grabs articles from websites. Tags and notebooks keep my stuff organized, and you can search within Evernote to find stuff as well. I'm a fan. Only downside is that, while you can share notebooks with the free version of evernote, you can only allow other people to edit those shared notebooks with evernote premium, which is a paid service.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Kalenden posted:

Thanks, this is pretty much perfect!
Do you think account sharing would be a problem? If I just share an account with my mother we could both from different devices edit and modify to our hearts desire correct?

@Jyrraeth, thanks for the suggestion. If Evernote doesn't pan out, I'll be certain to try your suggestion.

I think so! I mean, I use it for all sorts of different stuff, but if you're only using it for cooking, sharing an account is a great workaround.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I just discovered that I am a raging idiot who has not been making weekly stops at the Asian grocer less than half a mile from me. (To be fair, it looked more like restaurant supply, since the windows were full of serving dishes and knives and rice cookers.) But now I apparently have easy access to pretty much everything I have longed to have easy access to, and for cheap.

I think the shop focuses on Korean ingredients (the signs appear to be in Korean and they have a huge wall of what I assume is house-made kim chi or something that looks a lot like it) but they carry stuff I can’t find anywhere else; galangal, fresh taro and lotus root and shiso, dried chiles, fresh chiles, every noodle you could possibly want, plus a fish and meat counter with all kinds of seafood, bulgogi meat, and I think they actually carry squid as well. (No palm sugar, I asked.) I went in to get a steamer basket and sticky rice for coconut mango sticky rice, and came out with hearts in my eyes.

I really want to explore more of the awesome amazing stuff I can find in this store. My brain immediately went to making super authentic pad thai, or bulgogi, but I'd love other suggestions & recipes. Is there a Korean food thread in the archives? Besides bulgogi and kim chi jigae, what should I make? I am super excited but don't know even what to look for or what to make next. Help me spend all my money, please.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

I bought some pork chops yesterday and when I opened the package today they were grey around the edges. They didn't smell bad, and if this were beef I wouldn't think twice about eating it, but I'm not used to it with pork. Is this normal?

It's totally fine.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Erik Shawn-Bohner posted:

My advice is never to use all recipes. If you're looking for a good one, at least toss in a famous tv chef name. That's more likely to get you a standardized recipe for something. Then compare a couple. If you notice that the chef recipe has some weird poo poo that isn't in other recipes, leave that out. They also like to have "hallmark" recipes which sometimes means lovely.

Agreed, allrecipes is a user-curated nightmare with all sorts of terrible terrible crap. I use epicurious as my main web resource for recipes, and food network isn't bad either. For basic stuff, I have a copy of joy of cooking that I picked up for 5 bucks used.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I asked for some kind of dried fruit for salads when my partner stopped by the store, and he got freeze dried mango. The stuff is delicious but it has the texture of a Lucky Charms marshmallow and is no good for anything but snacking as-is. Is it a terrible idea to try rehydrating it, maybe with coconut milk for some kind of mango coconut curry / sticky rice / dessert? Or will it disintegrate?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

404notfound posted:

I got a slow cooker and have made some curry and chili recipes in it, but it always comes out really watery, even if I don't add the additional water that the recipes call for. How do I thicken it up without overcooking it?

What recipes are you following? It's hard to fix a recipe without seeing it.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

SubG posted:

When you've done something else with the kernels, brown the husks and make stock with them. Use the cobs to make jelly.

I am very very interested in the method for making and use of corn husk stock and cob jelly. Just cover with water and boil the crap out of them both separately, I assume? But what do you do with the product?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

turing_test posted:

Does anyone have any experience with IKEA pots and pans? I just bought a POLERAD stainless steel frying pan for $15 and so far it seems pretty awesome.

I have a little baby $3 Ikea nonstick pan that I use almost exclusively for eggs, and never throw in the dishwasher or scrub with the scrubby side of the scrubber. It's held up beautifully for about 4 years, though the screws attaching the handle to the pan are officially coming loose at this point. So, if you treat it like that and don't burn the gently caress out of the teflon, it's reasonably durable.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

frenchnewwave posted:

Two small questions/recipe requests.

I have some Serrano ham in the fridge. Apart from just chowing down on it, is there a quick and easy appetizer or tapas kind of thing I can make with it?

Also, I have a couple apricots coming my way. Not enough for jam or baking. I was thinking of making an apricot salsa. Any other ideas? Perhaps a way to work it into a dinner one night?

Apricot, Serrano ham, some greens, and cojita or feta or some other salty tart cheese sounds like a really killer sandwich or salad to me. I've done it without the ham and it's great. Apricot plus salty tart cheese is a great pairing.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

SERPUS posted:

I bought some expensive ($55 for two links) dried sausage for a party and it was left out overnight and most of the next day. I wrapped it back in paper and put it in the fridge for a few days and just dug it back out. It has become seriously dried out now. Is there anything I can do to reinvigorate it? A cursory google says I can soak it in red wine, but I really don't want any wine flavors in this delicious half-pound of meat. Any suggestions?

If it's a dried sausage, should this have even affected it? I've only done some super-easy charcuterie in the past (nothing on the level of dried sausage or pancetta) but I feel like if the sausage was already dried, it's fine.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Michael Ruhlman's method for making zucchini "noodles" is definitely my favorite. Lots of recipes will have you blanching zucchini or cooking it in the sauce, which can quickly turn it to mush if you're not careful. Ruhlman just suggest julienning (with a mandolin) and then tossing with copious salt in a colander and allowing that to drain into your sink for 5-15 minutes (depending on the size of your julienne), similar to the way you do for eggplant. This turns the zucchini into something pliable and excellent and ready for pretty much any sauce, after you rinse off the excess salt.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

CloseFriend posted:

I'm trying to break out of recipe slavery and get into really making up my own dishes. I've read The Flavor Bible and Rulhman's Ratio—both of which I use constantly to this day—but I don't know of any other books that'll help me step up my game. What do you guys recommend?

Secondarily, I teach math for a living and I love Ratio so much I'm considering doing a talk at an upcoming conference about using cooking to reify math instruction in the classroom. Are there any books specifically along these lines, perhaps some that fit in my former question as well? So far I plan to talk about some of Ruhlman's book (I got his permission) and food densities in the teaching of variation. I'd love to see any other topics for which there exist published works.

If you like "Ratio," you should really, really get Ruhlman's "Twenty." It's got twenty different techniques / ingredients that can be used in all sorts of different ways; for example, poach has techniques for oil poaching, butter poaching, and stock poaching. The egg chapter has a souffle, a bread pudding, and a scrambled egg so good it rocks my universe. The onion chapter explains what onion does and its role in mirepoix, and how different heats and lengths of cooking affect it. He takes the time to break down how stuff works and why, so if you're scientifically inclined it extrapolates very, very easily. All of the recipes are super basic, without too many defining spices or herbs, which means they are extremely versatile and can kind of go with anything. Highly recommended. I loved it so much I bought it for both my stepdad and my dad, and they both love it too.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I want to make kale / beet green chips tonight, and none of my go-to recipe blogs have a recipe. I've found a few with the googles but I'd love it if any goons have a favorite recipe to throw in the mix, particularly ones with spiciness or cheesiness or "sour cream and chive" flavors involved. I have nutritive yeast and cashews for vegan cheesy flavors but I'm not a vegan myself so I'm open to pretty much any goon-confirmed deliciousness.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

Where can I buy plain white dinnerware at a reasonable price? Everything on Amazon seems to have gaudy designs, be made of plastic, or cost $20 per plate.

Restaurant supply stores? Alternatively, thrift stores.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I had a bowl of black beans and kidney beans out to soak for vegan chili, but I went downstairs just now and looked in on them and all the kidney beans were totally gnarly, all dark brown and wrinkly and splitting open.

So I fished them out, but I don't want to just have black beans in the chili. I have fava beans, yellow split peas, brown lentils and chickpeas that I know are fresh and not old and nasty like every other bean in the house. Could I put those in the chili? I've literally never made chili before, so I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Someone else might know better than me (those kidney beans might be fine but I am no bean expert) but I think your best bet is chickpeas. Lentils and peas will cook too fast compared to your black beans. Not sure about favas.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I have a big ol' box of gochujang because I remember seeing raves about the awesome things you can do with it in here. But now I can't seem to find the threads that had those recipes. I've cooked everything in the wiki under korean food already, and bibimbap is also already in my mind as well. I have lots of Korean staples to work with--rice, rice noodles of various sizes, fish sauce, vinegars, mirin, and most importantly a fearless partner in eating. Give me your Korean / gochujang-containing recipe suggestions, please? I want to go on an adventure!

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Renzuko posted:

Hey, my mom bought a huge bag of frozen tail on shrimp so we could make some pasta with that philly cooking cream, now we have a huge bag of shrimp that's still 90% full and we're trying to think of things(that aren't shrimp cocktail) to do with them.

Help?

Are they raw or pre-cooked? If they're raw, I have an awesome recipe for butter-poached shrimp and grits from Ruhlman's Twenty I can type up and share. If they're pre-cooked, I'd say try to use them in cold applications, like salad, or tossing them thawed into something warm just to heat them up. Fried rice or lo mein or pad thai all call for / would do well with shrimp, though you'd have to skip re-cooking the pre-cooked shrimp in order to avoid overcooking.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

nwin posted:

HALP!

I'm making this for my wife's Bday dinner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cAFkYm3u1Q

Anyways, two questions. He says his vinagrette consists of 'olive oil, water, lemon juice, salt/pepper.' Any idea on the ratios/how to prepare?

Second question: For the roasted tomatoes, he puts them in the oven with the pilot light on overnight, and then seasons them. I don't have a gas stove, only electric. What can I do to emulate this?

Thanks!

For the vinaigrette: I have no idea why he has water in there. It might help to reduce the acidity of the dressing, I guess, but the point of a lemon vinaigrette is the acidity. Since you're dressing potatoes and salmon and not greens, I would say the ratio is probably something like 1 tbsp of lemon juice to a quarter cup of oil and salt and pepper to taste, but since it's a dressing you can adjust it til it's to your liking, just like any other sauce. Prep it by whisking it in a bowl or shaking it in a container and dunk a piece of potato in it. If it's too acidic, add more oil (or water, if you really want). If it's not acidic enough, add more lemon juice. If it needs salt and pepper, add salt and pepper.

His tomato method I don't understand at all, but I guess that works if you're using cherry tomatoes. Here's a recipe for oven-roasted tomatoes that works with larger ones which might be a good starting place? Cherry tomatoes will definitely take less time than plum tomatoes, though.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

twoot posted:

I need a recipe. We were going to eat out for a birthday meal but the timings just didn't work out, but they did for a meal at home. Unfortunately my family is a mess of picky eaters.

I'd like to have something for once which isn't just meat and starch, something a bit more imaginative/exciting. It would be for 8 people.

It can't involve;

Fish
Venison
Lamb
Cheese
Visibly sized Red Pepper
Visibly sized Onion

Most things I can think of (and really enjoy) involve one or more of these. Any help would be appreciated.

I made some really good braised short ribs with sticky rice recently, but I'm on a huge sticky rice kick and think everyone should make it. If you don't have time to braise short ribs (in coconut milk) then you could also make bulgogi to go with the sticky rice instead. But if your eaters are too picky to like Korean food, that might not work.

Is the cheese thing an allergy thing or a texture thing or something else? I only ask because risotto is a great and easy way to feed 8, won't offend picky eaters with unfamiliar flavors--you can throw in basically any flavors you want--but the parmesan is kind of essential. You could maybe replace it with nutritive yeast but I haven't tried that. Risotto doesn't have the texture of cheese or a huge amount of cheese flavor, though, so if it's just a texture / flavor thing that might work out? Might not be worth it, though.

What about making dumplings with various fillings? You could produce all sorts of different dumplings (pork and cabbage dumplings, edamame dumplings, vegetable dumplings, spring rolls which are not dumplings but are similar) and make a bunch of different dipping sauces so your family has a selection of different things to try. If someone doesn't like one dumpling, there's four other things for them to try, and you can put basically anything inside of a dumpling wrapper. But the issue there is that it's a lot of work for you.

You could also make something super-simple and vegetable-based like ratatouille, or eggplant parm, or even just homemade pasta with some kind of exciting sauce.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 3, 2013

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Are some oils better than others when it comes to frying? I tried making fried chicken a couple times recently and the batch I made with vegetable oil tasted better than the one where I used olive oil. I'm not sure if I fouled up the breading, or if I had higher quality chicken on the veg oil night, or if the type of oil makes that much of a difference.

Definitely yes. Olive oil has a fairly strong flavor, and if it isn't "light" it's not great for deep-frying, due to its smoke point. The gold standard for deep fat frying is peanut oil, I believe, though vegetable oil is more common. I really hate the flavor of vegetable oil (particularly when it's not super fresh, it takes on all sorts of weird gross flavors very quickly in my opinion) so I go for corn oil instead.

I don't know about this website is a whole but the shortlist of deep-frying oils is pretty solid and has some details for you.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 4, 2013

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
If your problem is that your smoothies aren't filling enough, I find some nut butters do a great job of making it stick to your ribs for quite a bit longer. I use peanut butter because I like the flavor, but almond butter (or any other nut butter) will probably take over the flavor less than peanut. Just a spoonful really helps.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

FishBulb posted:

So stick blender mayo is easy and I make it all the time and when I was making some yesterday I realized that I'm really not great at sauces. I mean I can deglaze a pan and make a roux and all that but I don't think I've ever even made hollandaise or a vinegarette.

Is there a good resource on the mother sauces and derivatives I can dive into?

I don't own it but I've seen this cookbook recommended all over GWS, so I'll regurgitate that recommendation for you for whatever that's worth. (Probably not much.)

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Interstitial Abs posted:

Was going to make some baked Mac and cheese for a potluck. I also have two ripe avocados lying around. Should I dice em and throw them into the mix, hopefully adding some nice non dairy creaminess?

Is this a terrible idea or genius? I can usually picture a culinary result (or at least close to the outcome) but this, not so much...

Avocados tend to get brown and gross-looking when they are cooked, in my experience, so I wouldn't recommend that just from a visual angle. Plus, if you're dicing them and throwing them in expecting them to kind of "melt" and become part of the cheese sauce, that's not going to happen. They might disintegrate a little if they're nice and ripe and you stir quite a bit, but they'll be creamy lumps in creamy sauce and man, I love both of those things but putting them together sounds really texturally gross to me.

That said, if you like the idea, feel free to try it and report back on how well it works! But maybe not to bring to a potluck.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Liar posted:

Well gently caress, because just drinking it is what I do. I guess I should have taken it as a hint when EVERY review site of flavors talks about how it tastes in coffee, tea, or in baking. Do Soy or Rice milk taste more like actual milk then?

If you want sugary pop and you're drinking diet, you're gonna be sad. If you want beef and you're eating a boca burger, you're gonna be sad. I think the thing about drinking any nut milk (soy, rice, hemp, almond) is that you kind of should stop looking at it and thinking "milk." It's a different beverage that's been around just as long as milk itself, and wanting it to be milk will just make it disappoint you. None of them are really going to taste like milk to you because you like milk, and you wish you were drinking that.

If you want to make a more neutral-tasting beverage for a milk-drinker, I find that combining milks (soy and rice and almond, for example) can neutralize the stronger flavors in soy and also boost the creaminess of the rice and almond. Or, if you just want to hide the almond from yourself, buy the chocolate almond milk. Even my milk-chugging partner loves that stuff. That, and the So Delicious boxed coconut milks.

All of that said, if you're only going for health benefits, why not just eat a handful of almonds and drink a glass of water instead? All the benefits, no added sugar, and probably cheaper too.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Pookah posted:

I'd sear it all over in a hot pan before putting it in the pot plus add some finely minced mushrooms, thyme, a bay leaf, red wine, minced fried smoked bacon...yeah, I'd basically turn it into beef bourguignon but that's probably just me ;)

Definitely not just you, that sounds amazing.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Girlfriend bought a vegetable platter for a presentation at work, and most of it didn't get eaten so now we have lots of "finger food" vegetables (baby carrots, grape tomatoes, celery, squash slices, radish slices, and cauliflower bits). I'm cutting up half of them to try and make some kind of crockpot chicken veggie soup tomorrow, but could I make a good vegetable stock from the other half? Should I? How would I even do that- simmer the veggies in water for X amount of time, then collect the liquid?

If you want a really good vegetable stock, don't just boil the vegetables--you should brown them first in some butter. (Or any neutral oil, if you're vegan.) Celery, carrots, onion, probably squash and grape tomatoes could all benefit from a good long sit in a saute pan with a bunch of butter to make them brown and tasty, then deglaze the pan with a bunch of water (and even some white wine if you're feeling ambitious), boil boil boil, puree, and pass it through a strainer. The resulting liquid should be a tasty, rich stock thanks to the malliard reaction.

Also; I don't know how much of that stuff that you have, but if you have maybe a cup of each vegetable, use maybe a quart of water and a cup of wine. If it's too rich, you can always thin it with more water, but creating a more concentrated stock requires boiling down what you have, and that's a pain. Better to make it more concentrated at first and thin it if it's too much.

Also also, if you're thinking of a specific use for the stock, don't be afraid to flavor it further in advance. If you're thinking veggie noodle, throw in a bay leaf and sage. If you're thinking asian soups, throw in ginger slices and lemongrass.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 30, 2013

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Pick posted:

Is there a good place to buy weird, exotic fruit online? I sort of want a "let's eat weird food"-themed birthday party.

This is from a bit ago, but: you could always do a Miracle Berry flavor tripping thing and then drink vinegar and lemons and stuff? I know it's tragically 2008 to do "flavor tripping" but I still want to do it, and doing the miracle berry thing will probably be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying exotic fruit.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I have a giant tub of fresh homemade applesauce. It's really good, but I have no idea what to do with it, because I don't really dig sweet bakery type stuff. I already made apple pancakes. What savory applications can this stuff go into? I'm thinking maybe in some kind of braise thing, but what else?

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 28, 2013

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Drifter posted:

Holy poo poo man,
  • you can make meatloaf with it,
  • A topping (mix applesauce with sourcream) for potato pancakes.
  • you can make Salsa using it as the base instead of tomato, add some chilis it's so loving good,
  • A friend made something like this applesauce rice - it was pretty good, actually, this is just a random internet recipe I don't know if it's the exactly the same.

Whoa, meatloaf? I actually have some ground beef, too. Do you have a recipe kicking around? (A quick google turned up a lot of stuff on food.about and cooks.com and I don't really trust either of those sources.)

Either way, DEFINITELY making potato pancakes and salsa, thank you!

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I made broccoli soup according to the recipe Gordon Ramsay did in like that DVD special, it turned out with broccoli bits in it when it was supposed to be velvety smooth. I made it out of one whole head instead of the three - four he used. I think though that I used too much water, but thats not the question I have. (I didn't use the walnuts or goat cheese either)

I tried being clever and put the cheddar cheese I used on the bottom of the bowl, and tried to mix it in that way, but it didn't seem to combine that well, should I have blended it in with the soup? If not, besides making a cheese sauce, how would I combine it in?
(this is the recipe: Gordon Ramsay Makes Broccoli Soup)

My first instinct is to say that if your soup ends up with bits in it and it's supposed to be velvety smooth, you need to blend it longer. If you think you used too much water and still didn't come out with a smooth soup, you definitely didn't blend long enough--water helps smooth things out super fast. Blend for minutes. Editing makes it look like it takes WAY less time than it takes.

Also, cheddar cheese is fairly firm and is not going to melt in the same way that goat cheese is going to. Goat cheese is a super-soft cheese and will do the dissolve / thicken / enrich thing in a hot soup that he's talking about. Cheddar is too firm for that. Even if you added it into the blender, it'd come out a grainy mess. It's just too firm without making a roux or some other emulsification to encourage it to marry with the water.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 6, 2013

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Well thanks, goat cheese around here is exorbitantly expensive and this area and I can't raise goats myself, is there a good cow alternative (besides the obvious cream cheese)

Everyone else has said making it is a good option, and I agree, but if you want the lower-effort version that doesn't require goat milk, you could always just make a cheese sauce? It won't contribute any texture to the soup, which is a downside and might mean you want to add more of those walnuts, but it's super easy and you can probably make it with what you've got on hand right now. Just make a tiny bit of your standard butter-and-flour roux, let it toast slightly, add scalded milk and allow to thicken, then add your cheese and heat until thickened and the cheese is melted. Put a dollop of that on your soup before serving and swirl it throughout as you eat.

Another potentially cheaper option could be just throwing a slice or some crumbled blue cheese on there, or a nice runny brie, or any other soft and flavorful cheese. But if goat cheese is expensive where you live, I fear those others might be super expensive as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Will the people you're cooking for mind a bit of heat? I find that sweet potatoes take chile really, really well, so I might throw some chipotle powder or habanero jelly or something in there. That's not really a new recipe, though.