Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Any good taco recipes? I'm off tomorrow and would like to make some delicious tacos for my life partner. She is from Texas so keep that in mind - she won't be fooled by any lovely yankee tacos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What happened to the slow cooking thread? There was a chicken stew recipe I wanted to try in there.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I have some uh, I think they're eye of round? Steaks that I bought and cooked like I would a regular steak, and I regretted it because they were kinda tough and i don't want to eat the two I have left. What can I do with them? Was thinking of throwing them in the slow cooker with some mushrooms and onions, bit of water, garlic, whatever. Is there any way I can tenderize then and like, throw them in a sandwich or somethign? To clarify, these two steaks are already cooked, threw em on a cast iron thing with salt and pepper

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

geetee posted:

Yeah, eye round is a pretty sad cut. I would chop it up and make nachos.

Huh, don't have any chips but I have tortillas, cilantro, and some sour cream, might make a couple tacos. Should've thought of that myself, thanks.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Don't sous vide. poo poo is a good way to get botulism.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Chemmy posted:

Your other posts in here are looking for how to use a slow cooker and what to do with a piece of beef you don't know how to cook.

Maybe take it easy dishing out advice like "don't sous vide".

You should probably read my posts if you're going to be a weirdo and search for them. The beef was cooked already. Don't sous vide, it isn't worth the difficulty or food borne illnesses.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
When I make homefries the ones in the center of my pan cook the fastest and end up burnt. How do I cook my home fries more evenly is what I'm asking. I don't do anything special to them, I just throw oil and potatoes into the pan.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Jan posted:

...stir them?

My dad taught me not to stir home fries.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Jan posted:

Unless you happen to have enough oil for the oil itself to convect your fries (in which case you're actually making french fries), you'll inevitably have to stir them a bit. You could even outright stir fry them and probably get better results than not stirring at all.

Also, parboiling them beforehand will help a lot for cooking them more evenly. Just 3-5 minutes, depending on the size of your cuts.

I'll try that next time. I cut em tiny.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Eeyo posted:

What kind of pan do you use? If it's a very thin nonstick pan then that may worsen hot-spots. Getting a bigger pan well pre-heated should help out the evenness a bit.

I've made them with a cast iron skillet and a cheap non stick one, the same thing happens either way. I'll try preheating my cast iron.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Wait, Darth Windu, are you putting the potatoes into a cold pan?

H*ck no.

Senior Scarybagels posted:

My first attempt at making a homemade breakfast bar ended up not so good, things I needed to do different: use a smaller pan (ended up too thin), don't forget the mashed cherries this time (I had planned to use the cherries to replace alot of the sugar in the recipe I thought up, it's a basic quick bread recipe with some additions and modifications)

Have a recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Squashy Nipples posted:

I used to only keep AP flour around the house, but with the GF's influence, I now stock bread flour and cake flour.

Does it make a difference which one I use for a roux?
Is the extra protein a good thing or a bad thing for sauces?

It really doesn't matter for a roux. You should always be watching roux as it cooks anyway.

No idea about the sauce question.