Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
so I just bought my first slow cooker and was looking for a thread for it but there doesn't seem to be any?
Any recipes recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Any recommendations for website with all sorts of recipes? I usually have a couple blogs but those are very specific things and I'm always out of ideas of what to cook.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Thanks for the tips guys

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I finally received my slow cooker (I got this one which had great reviews on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00888X55S/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
I'm going to start using it but I was wondering something. One of my problem is that I'm having long days leaving home at 7am and returning at like 8:30pm.
Can I leave my stew cook for all this time or will it become a mush?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Hey I'm an Eurogoon wanting to try for the first time pulled pork in my slow cooker.
Any recipe recommendation for the authentic :911: experience ?

Le0 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 28, 2014

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
oops wrong thread...

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Risotto chat is boring.

Re: Pans. So in Europe most homes aren't equipped with gas stoves everything is electric. In our flat we have a vitroceramic stove and I was wondering if a cast iron could be used on that surface? It probably does not change much but I'm wondering. Also since I've been cooking which has only been for a few years I solely used non-stick pans because apparently we European swear by that. Have I been poisoning us for years? Should we be seeing signs of cancers or something? All this toxic teflon poo poo talk has me a bit worried? :ohdear:

Anyway I'm going to look into buying a stainless pan to get the hang of this technique.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

franco posted:

The hell? That's not true at all :psyduck:. Unless, I suppose, I just mistakenly thought I had been living in Europe all these years... I see just as many gas hobs as I do electric ones around these parts; it's solely a matter of choice. gas 4eva

Well I ment in Switzerland mainly. We hardly have any gas here for some reason?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Several years ago I bought one of these awesome Victorinox Grand Maître, however I haven't used it for a long while and I just found it now at the bottom of a drawer under a pile of poo poo. It is very sad and cannot cut even garlic.
I used one of these things, which I have no clue how it is called:

The thing in question is older than me and maybe I'm a total tool and don't know how to use it but it didn't improve the cutting condition of said knife at all.
Being a software engineer I have no clue what to do with this poor knife and I'd like to rekindle its life.

What is the best course of actions I should take to improve the current state of things?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Thank you! I will search a place to do that

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Is there any cast iron thread? I searched but couldn't find anything? Any advice on seasoning, use, wash etc...?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Are there any websites where I could enter my own recipes and keep an handy lists ?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
We have all teflon pans at home and I've been looking for a stainless steel pan for some time now. Apparently in Switzerland we are strongly against stainless steel because the only pans that I find are very expensive, something like 150$.
Are stainless steel pan very expensive in the US as well?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

paraquat posted:

Not from America, but I've been hunting for stainless steel pans over here (the Netherlands) as well in the past, and discovered that it was pretty much impossible for less than 100 euro (or something like that).

Now, I gave up on the search and had no room for another pan anyway, but I recently ran into some at Ikea
So, I do not own one, and have no idea how good they are, but in my experience, other cookware from Ikea is pretty good.

Here's an example, maybe the Swiss Ikea sells them as well?

http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/90207336/

edit:
oh look, they do http://www.ikea.com/ch/de/catalog/products/90207336/

Thanks for that, I'll definitely check Ikea

Boris Galerkin posted:

All Clad pans are pretty expensive here. The 12" is north of $100 definitely, maybe even $150, I'm not sure. It's expensive though because it's three layers (steel, alumini, steel) all around for better heat retention and conduction and I'm sure being made in America contributes to the price as well. There are cheaper brands of course (I think Cephalon is All Clad's made in China brand?) but they vary in quality and whether or not it's fully layered vs just the base.

So 150 CHF for a 3-ply stainless steel pan for a country as expensive as yours seems about on par if not "cheaper."

Oh okay guess I will check Ikea and otherwise I'll try to find a very nice expensive pan

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

HondaCivet posted:

I really love murgh makhani (Indian butter chicken) and I've tried a couple times to make it at home but it keeps turning out wrong. I tried this recipe and another one that was pretty similar. The sauce keeps turning out way too acidic and tomato-y, or at least much more acidic and tomato-y than any butter chicken I've had from an Indian restaurant. Any ideas/tips? I'm a lousy cook and have no experience making Indian food so there are probably lots of things I could have done wrong.

What a coincidence, I just made butter chicken yesterday. I know roughly how it is supposed to taste but we don't have many Indian restaurant over here so maybe it won't be to your taste. Anyway the recipe I used was very tasty from here: http://ekantcookcurry.com/murgh-makhani/
I think it is a simplified recipe so bare with me.

As for your curry turning too acidic, I think it must come from the tomatoes. Where they not ripe enough maybe?

He has all the other common curries on there as well.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Bob Morales posted:

That recipe doesn't even have fenugreek! That is like the one thing that makes butter chicken taste like butter chicken. Doesn't look terrible though. Be sure to add copious amounts of hot peppers.

It also seems to be missing ghee. The best butter chicken dishes I've had always have been a big greasy mess.

I hate ordering butter chicken at a place and getting chicken tikka instead.

Hehe ok, I'm no expert at this. If you find a good recipe not too complicated I'd love to give it a try. :)

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I have a tin of royal crab or something. Any idea what I could do with it? I bought that a few month ago for way too much and I'm scared to gently caress it up!

Also anyone have good/simple dips for veggie platter style stuff?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I ate halloumi the other day and it was very good indeed.

Suggestions for toppings for pizza party?

Currently we have:

- Shrooms
- Ham
- Chorizo
- Olives
- Mozarella
- Parmesan

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'd like to make shrimp quesadilla and I need a tomato sauce. The recipes calls for Mexican Red sauce but I have a feeling I can do something easily myself.
I was going to start with a can of tomatoes and add spices. Any suggestions?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I have a can of royal crab that has been laying around forever.
Any recipe recommendations?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I made the Pad Thai on the wiki : http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Pad_Thai_by_Schpyder
It was quite good but I have some tamarind in the fridge and was wondering if I could put that in the sauce as well in place of squeezing the limes at the end maybe?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Breaky posted:

When I've made it the tamarind / tamarind paste went into the sauce with the sugar and everything else.

mich posted:

You should use the tamarind instead of vinegar in the sauce, then still squeeze on lime at the end.

If you'd like to try a more in depth pad thai recipe next time try this:

http://shesimmers.com/2011/11/pad-thai-recipe-part-five-making-pad.html

Thanks guys

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Jan posted:

Stir frying chicken breasts pretty much always yields a bunch of chicken protein juices. I normally take this out as soon as I can otherwise I end up with boiled chicken, not stir fried. But I've been wondering if there's anything I can do with this liquid? Is it worth tossing it into whatever sauce I'm making as well?

I had this exact same problem yesterday when I stir fried some chicken breast. Basically solution is to put less chicken at a time yes?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
My mom gave me a bottle of preserved lemon. She did some Moroccan stew with it which was awesome.
Are there any other recipes that would be good with that?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I found for the first time fresh Jalapeno in Switzerland!!
I have 10 of them, what would you do ?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

totalnewbie posted:

I have 1 oz of truffles. What should I do with it this weekend?

A nice risotto with some truffle over is really delicious.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm thinking about doing the cousous on the wiki: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Moroccan_Chicken_and_Couscous
I have some preserved lemons on hand, think I could add some in that also?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm going to make Pork Tenderloin and was wondering how much I need for 4 persons? Would 500g do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Thanks guys, I'll take more then.