Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
I searched through this thread and didn't find any mention of it and I didn't think it deserved it's own thread, so I figured I'd ask here:

Recently, I've developed an allergy to dairy. Is there any good sites that list recipes/substitutions for dairy products? Googling it brings up nothing but vegan websites, but I don't want to substitute everything, and I'm not a big fan of most of their recipes. Any suggestions? Just plain recipes would be nice as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Mister Macys posted:

Lately, I've found good extra virgin olive oil to be an excellent substitute for butter (despite being completely different in flavour).

And, depending on what you're allergic to in dairy foods, you might be able to eat ricotta.

Oh, awesome. I never knew that it was made that way. I'm pretty sure it's the casein that I'm allergic too, since I don't have issues with any other foods that contain whey. How different is it from other cheese? Also, is there a pasta sauce that isn't marinera, and doesn't include a ton of cheese products that a restaurant would serve? Mr. Lullabee is set on italian for Valentine's Day and I don't want to be sick the rest of the night afterwards. Sorry, I know I'm asking a ton of questions, but googling isn't much help when your palate doesn't like most food tastes. (Not a meat and cheese only type person, just certain foods don't taste good to me.) :smith:

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 31, 2012

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Thanks for all the help earlier guys.
Last weekend I got a big bundle of broccoli from the farmer's market. I can't seem to find a good recipe to cook it in, what do you guys suggest? I was thinking something to do with chicken.

On that note: I have a bag of uncooked brown rice that also needs to be cooked. I don't have a rice cooker or the funds to get one. How do you guys cook your rice on the stove? I followed the directions and it still came out bad.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
We picked up two fresh artichokes on our way to Monterrey Bay today, and I'm completely lost as to what to make with them. I know there's the normal artichoke and spinach dip that everyone does, but I was hoping for maybe a side dish/main dish recipe I could use it in. Any suggestions?

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
What's a good substitution for ricotta/cottage cheese? I have neither, yet want to make a baked pasta dish.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
So, I have two avocados and a jar of premade artichoke & lemon pesto. Would it taste okay to put both of those in the food processor to make a pesto or would it taste weird/bad? I don't have much practice with pairing food that tastes well. And if so, any suggestions on how to do it? I was thinking it mixed with pasta (spaghetti? Unless something else would be better?) and some lightly seasoned chicken.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Turkeybone posted:

The avocados in there would be weird, I think.

If you want suggestions on how learning how to pair food... a lot of it comes from practice and experience, but if you're interested there are resources available.

http://www.foodpairing.com/ This is some website I recently found (from SA I think) and while I having poked around much, it seems to be okay.

The go-to resource I would say is The Flavor Bible. It's pretty intense so I might not say go out and buy it right away, but if you can find it in a store or find some chance to peruse it, definitely do so and see what you think. I've used it in a professional setting and it just takes one step out of the brainstorming process.

I didn't think so. Thanks for the suggestions. Definitely going to check them out.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
I probably won't receive an answer in time, but I figured I'd ask anyways:

I bought rolled oats at the grocery store to make oatmeal in the crock pot, not realizing that I needed steel cut. Is there anyway to make it in the crock pot with them, or should I just say screw it and cook them on the stove? Mr. Lullabee wants it in the morning, and I'm scrambling to find a way to do it.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Taft Punk posted:

Do you have a crock pot on a timer, or an automatic power timer (like the light timers people use while on vacation? You could set it to start automatically in the morning?

It doesn't have a timer. Or a light... It's a small one, and was given to me, so I'm not complaining. I put in 2 cups of the oats, 1 cup of almond milk, and 5 cups of water. I don't think I'll be sleeping soon, so I should be able to watch/stir it occasionally. I googled it and most of the recipes say you can use either or, so I just followed the basic recipe I found in the crock pot thread. I'm hoping it'll turn out ok. If its too runny, is it ok to add more oats and cook a while longer? Or will it thicken up as it cools?

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
I'm on my phone, so I can't really search for it, but is there a thread/website for recipes of vegetables as sides? I'm sick of the generic corn, green beans, etc that we always end up getting because I have no clue how to cook anything else.

Also, besides the 'Go Dairy Free' website/book, is there any good websites/cook books that are non vegan non dairy recipes? I have a dairy allergy, and most websites for dairy free are vegan. Which is fine and all, but Mr. Lullabee has pretty much said he cant quit eating meat. Or rather, doesn't want too. Thanks for the help.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Going to the local farmers market this weekend to pick up some fresh fruit/veggies. Besides the obvious corn/potatoes/green beans, what are some vegetables that are fairly forgiving to a new cook and relatively easy to make? I'm in northern Cali, if you need a general idea of what's grown around me.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Got a block of feta because we love it on salads. How do you guys suggest storing an open container of it? How long does it last in the fridge?

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
I picked up some asparagus this weekend and I want to make it to go with dinner tonight. The recipe I have is just simple olive oil, garlic, basil, S&P and lemon juice, roasted in the oven. Is this the best way to cook them? I just want to make sure. This is the first time I'm cooking them.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
What's the best way to cook corn still in the husk? I don't have a grill/a way of grilling it, so I figured I'd ask you guys. Also, I don't want to boil it. Thanks

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Casu Marzu posted:

Steam it or toss it in the oven

That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure. Just gonna throw it in, husk and all. Here's to hoping it doesn't suck.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

RazorBunny posted:

Peel back the husk partway and remove all the silk beforehand, it's a pain in the rear end to take out once it's cooked.
Wish I knew this before I cooked it, haha. Though, it wasn't too bad. I'll have to remember it next time.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
So how bad is it that I accidentally left the neck in the whole chicken I put in the crock pot? I took it out after about four hours when I remembered I hadn't. It's got another two hours or so in there, and Mr. Lullabee was all grossed out, but I think it should be okay. Right?

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Chemmy posted:

Why did you put an entire chicken in a crock pot?
because my ovens thermostat stopped working weeks ago, and I'm waiting on the landlord to fix it. So, a crock pot is my really only option when it comes to something that really matters about cooking all the way through. I can throw something like frozen pizza or corn dogs in the oven no problem - they just end up extra crispy.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Besides feta, what are some good cheeses to put on just generic side salads? I've gotten my allergy under control, so I can have a little bit. Plus, I'm trying to teach Mr. Lullabee that healthy food can be just as good as fast food (he's a fast food junkie), so any tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Is there any reasonable substitute for eggs in a breading recipe? Our eggs expired a week ago, but I would like to make a breaded chicken to go with our sauce and pasta tonight. If there's not, what's a good chicken recipe to go with vodka sauce and linguine?

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
It wasn't me who made the decision that we're not eating expired eggs. Mr. Lullabee is paranoid about putting stuff like that in my body, since we're in the early stages of pregnancy and doesn't want to risk it. So, that's why I asked for substitutions/recipe ideas.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Randomity posted:

Bleh my husband was like that with my first pregnancy and I eventually just had to tell him to cool it. It WILL drive you crazy by the end there if he doesn't reign it in soon.

My son is allergic to eggs so we use plain buttermilk to bread things now.

I'm working on it, but yeah. I'll use the buttermilk, since I can make a faux buttermilk with my almond milk. Thanks for the tip.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Went to a birthday party yesterday and the guys mom had made these delicious pesto chicken sandwiches. She said the pesto was just a simple olive oil pesto, out of a jar. It looked like some kind of spices mixed with the olive oil. It was just a loaf of bread, olive oil pesto and mayo mix, chicken with provolone cheese. My question is - what is a good simple pesto olive oil?

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Dogfish posted:

Your question is a little unclear.

If you're asking what kind of olive oil works best for pesto, I would say extra-virgin olive oil.

If you're asking what you put in that oil in order to turn it into pesto, basil pesto traditionally has basil, garlic, pine nuts, and pecorino romano cheese. The basil, garlic, and pine nuts are very finely chopped, the cheese is grated, and the oil is then mixed in.
Sorry. It was the second one. Does the amount matter or does the generic one I can find googling it work?

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Safeway never seems to stock bosten butts. What's another place I could get one in Northern California?

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
So I've been put on bed rest for a few days, and Mr. Lullabee is a horrid cook. What are some simple easy recipes he can cook rather quickly, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and is simple enough that someone who can only cook bacon/scrambled eggs make?

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Sorry, I didn't see it. Thank you.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
I have some meat that has a use/freeze by date of 6/17. I froze it wayyy before that. So is it okay to eat? I'm guessing so. I want to use it for meatloaf for dinner.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
I picked up some turkey breasts yesterday that said use/freeze by today's date (9/23). I was going to cook one last night, after freezing the other, so I put it in the fridge to marinate for a few hours. However, plans changed, so now it's been in there over night and was planning on cooking it tonight for dinner.

Given it's been cold over night, it should be fine, right? This is my first experience with nonground turkey and it's all.. pale now. I'm sure it is, but I just needed the reaffirmation that it won't give me food poisoning.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Okay so, I'm going to my first ever thanksgiving dinner where I'm expected to cook and bring something. I signed up for candied yams, because looking the recipe up online showed it should be fairly simple. I plan on making two pans, just slightly different than each other.

From what I'm understanding, the base is just yams, peeled and cubed/sliced up and cooked in water until almost done/done. Is that right or the best way to cook them? I'm a very novice cook, so I don't know jack.

Then, I was planning on taking half and mashing them with butter, cinnamon and brown sugar, before putting them in a pan and adding marshmallows. The other half I'm at a loss - the person who's house I'm going to says they normally do canned with butter and brown sugar just roasted in a pan. So does that mean I can just substitute the canned ones for the boiled ones I'm making? Or will the taste be off?

Please don't kill me for the marshmallow one - I'm going to basically a house full of goons who, if I don't make one with marshmallows, will more than likely bitch about how it's 'not made right'. I know it can be considered a 'travesty' but yeah.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
So, because google doesn't really tell me much - I bought some hamburger meat probably last week (sell by date of 12/31). It was frozen well before then. I took it out this morning (probably 10am ish), and just opened it to make hamburgers (it's 6:30 pm here). No strong odors, but the inside is brown/gray. Google says something about oxygen and that it should be good, however the government website said that it could be starting to go bad. I'm sure I'm just paranoid, but it's still good to eat, correct?

ETA: It's about 50 something here, and the heat isn't on, so it's been cool enough to not have to worry about cooking/heating up.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 7, 2013

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

tarepanda posted:

It's fine. Most meat is unnaturally red anyway.

Figured, thank you! :)

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
I'm making chicken enchilada soup for dinner, what are some good sides? I was thinking cornbread and a salad, but this is my first time making this stuff so I'm lost.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
So, we hit up the apple orchids here and picked up some homemade apple butter - I got it mainly for my fiancé to try (he's never had it before).

However, I highly doubt well eat it all just like that (on toast and such), so I'm looking for recipes that I can use it in. Any suggestions?

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Leftover roast - what do you do with it? I like making it, since it's easy and filling (cheap too), but even the small 2-3 lbers are too much for me and my fiancé to eat in one or two settings. I'm making barbecue tonight with it but I still have quite a bit leftover (as well as the vegetables).

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
What's the best recipe for loaded potato soup? I know it's basically just potatoes, cream, broth (maybe?), salt & pepper, mixed together and topped with whatever toppings you'd like, but do I bake the potatoes? Or boil? There seems to be a million ways to make such a simple soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
What is a very simple, easy, basic strip steak recipe? I was able to use coupons and grab 4 10oz steaks yesterday for like $3.xx/a piece, but I've never cooked steak in my life.

I don't have fancy tools or exotic ingredients. I would normally Google it, but it seems like something that could get complicated really quick, and I don't have much time. Thanks :)