Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
I want to roast a duck for Thanksgiving. I've done chicken and turkey before, but never cooked a duck myself. What's the best way to get delicious, crispy skin?

I've tried looking at a few recipes and each has a different technique to render the fat, so I'm kind of confused on which way I should go. So far I've read to score the breast and roast, one said to poke holes all over and pour boiling water over it before roasting, another dunks the bird into a stock pot of boiling water (yeah, no thanks), another does absolutely nothing to it (pretty sure I won't be doing that either).

Also, are the frozen ducks at the local mega-mart usually decent or should I order a fresh one from the local specialty store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Doh004 posted:

I bought a pork shoulder on Saturday to make braised carnitas; however, I discovered I need to clean my oven first. Being the lazy rear end in a top hat that I am, I haven't done that yet.

How long will the raw shoulder stay good in my fridge? Should I throw it in the freezer? Realistically I'd like to cook it within the next day or two but who knows when I'll get off my lazy rear end to clean the oven.

You generally want to use meat within 3-5 days, I usually assume that whatever I bought has been sitting out for at least a day or two so I err closer to three days than five. Check the meat, if its tacky and smells kind of like a maxi-pad its already off. If its fine though, cook it tonight, otherwise it should probably go in the freezer.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm genuinely curious as to what defitions this fits into http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cbt

:stare:

Eat the kale, or else.:black101:

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

I dry it well and rub the skin with salt and pepper. Then stick it in the oven at 450. I roast for 30 minutes, flip and roast another 15, flip back and another 15. It's usually about done by then, if not just let it go longer. The flipping's mostly for the skin, this way the skin on the bottom isn't too soggy--still not nice and crisp like on top but better. If you have a real oven and a rack you probably don't need to bother.

Do you find that you need to bother with poking and scoring to help render the fat or is it overkill?

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
How do you feel about liverwurst? A venison based braunschweiger sounds amazing. Unfortunately I don't have a recipe for you.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Hey would one of these work as a cheapo roasting pan?

http://i.imgur.com/nUJuF.jpg

If it fits in the oven and can physically contain the thing you're trying to roast, you can use it as a roasting pan. That pan probably won't hold up long term, but it will mostly get the job done with the exception that you won't be able to deglaze and make pan sauces with it. If you're willing to spend a little work seasoning the pan, for the same price you can pick up a cast iron skillet from Goodwill that you can use on the burner and in the oven.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. Why wouldn't it be able to make sauce?

(I already have a nice roasting pan, but I'm looking to see if there are cheaper alternatives for friends)

There's no way a five dollar tin plated, cake pan is going to hold up to being taken out of 425 degree oven, put on a heating element, and having a several cups of red wine reduce in it. Its meant to be used in the oven with radiant heat, not have fire (or an electric heating element) directly applied to it. Whatever you're cooking will burn and the pan will warp.

Ask: me about the time my college roommate tried to use a sheet pan over two gas burners as a pancake griddle.

edit: Also, the bottom isn't level either, which would be terrible for roux. For roasting vegetables and smaller cuts of meat it would do just fine, you just can't use it on the stove top.

Robo Boogie Bot fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 10, 2013

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Robo Boogie Bot, tell me about the time your college roommate tried to use a sheet pan over two gas burners as a pancake griddle

She burned the poo poo out of them, ruined the pan, and made the apartment smell bad. :toot:

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Mix your tuna with smooshed white beans, finely diced shallot, lemon zest, and diced parsley. Then make a vinaigrette with the juice of the lemon you zested and then toss your tuna mixture with it.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Arkham Angel posted:

This sounds yum. Are the shallots raw?

I usually go with raw, but you could saute them before tossing them in.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Is it normal for homemade ginger ale to look perfectly clear with some yellow-brown stuff precipitated on the bottom of the bottle after the first day fermenting?
Perfectly normal, its just spent yeast.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
I made browned butter sugar cookies , which I have made before and were scrumptious, but the ones I made this afternoon and they have a weird scrambled egg flavor. What would cause this? I was pretty cautious about adding the eggs to the butter and sugar and definitely did not see any cooked egg bits, but maybe I could have still scrambled the eggs without having little bits of egg whites peppered throughout the dough?

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
I picked up some beef heart at the store today. Once I clean up the squishy bits is there anything else I should do with it besides salt and pepper, then searing it? Is it safe to cook it to medium rare? Something about it being an organ makes me think it should be cooked through, the other half hates to ruin beef in such a manner.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

geetee posted:

I have a bunch of tomatillos and want to make some green salsa. Has anyone used this recipe? http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Fire-Roasted_Tomatillo_Salsa

Open to other recipes or entirely different uses too.

That's a pretty standard recipe, though I like to add some garlic and freshly toasted and ground cumin to mine. I also just throw everything under the broiler instead of lighting charcoal.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Refried black beans should freeze and reheat well, right? My mom just had surgery so I'm making some freezer meals for my parents.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

So I'm peeling crawfish. That orange stuff at the front of the tail, do I want to keep it in or not?

You want to devour that orange stuff and hoard all of it for yourself.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

A while ago, like quite a few months ago, I picked up a 4lb bag of pre-frozen chicken breasts. I guess I forgot they were in there, and now that my roommate is moving out I was doing some cleaning and found it. I've looked the package over a few times and can't seem to find an expiration date; how do I know if these things are still good? The seal on the bag was never broken if that matters at all.

They're good. After a few months the texture begins to suffer, but they are perfectly safe to eat.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Schiavona posted:

Can I substitute bacon for ham hocks in this recipe for slow cooker collard greens, and how would I do so? My local grocery store ran out of hocks and said they won't have any for another few days.

Bacon won't be quite the same, do they have any other smoked meat? Smoked pork neck bones are great, you can also used smoked turkey (though go with dark meat instead of breast).

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's a bullshit marketing tag for people who are scared of nitrites. Pretty much any meat that would get an "uncured" label is, in fact, cured.

The answer to every question about health a buzzword is "because people are stupid."

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
I'm making mulled wine for a Christmas party, but the recipe calls for a half cup of brandy. I don't have any on hand, but I do have some random bottle of cherry brandy (kirschwasser) at the back of the pantry. Will it do, or should I just go buy some Korbel?

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Any tricks that you guys know of for cleaning electric range coils as well as the trays that go underneath them? Last time I had to clean them I just soaked the trays in warm soapy water and wiped down the coils with a similar solution, but I don't think that worked as well as it could have.

Soap and water is fine, once they get real gnarley though just replace them. The drip trays are super cheap, less than 5 dollars for a new set at a hardware store.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Good ventilation, washing the dishes right away, and taking out the garbage add well.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Valex posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking to learn how to cook but I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing (as in, can barely operate a stove-level no idea what I'm doing)
Are there any good resources for someone who is pretty much toddler-level at this? Recipes, cookbooks, websites, etc.

Get thee to foodwishes.com. Anything Chef John makes is both delicious and completely approachable for a beginner.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yeah I just wondered if there was anything fancy I could do with it. My only real thoughts are beef vs chicken broth :eng101:

I would honestly skip the broth and just cook your beans in water with a hunk of smoked meat. Ham hocks are the most popular around here, but my favorite is smoked pork neck bones or smoked turkey thighs.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Not 5-7.5 cups plus the water. I don't have a very well stocked kitchen. I also have rolled oats. The closest store didn't have steel cut. I'll see if the food co-op or Sprouts has steel-cut oats once I go through this in a couple weeks.

Rolled oats only take 5 minutes on the stovetop, or 2 in the microwave. Is a large batch really necessary?

Robo Boogie Bot fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 18, 2015

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

MasterFugu posted:

he was trying to make it easier in the mornings, not harder.

Compared to going through the effort of making a big batch then reheating a portion in the microwave every morning, it would actually be less effort skip that big batch and just cook a single portion in the microwave each morning. Especially in a kitchen without a pot big enough for a big batch.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
I want to make tamales, what is the one true recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Jan posted:

So far, the answer seems to be "not very well". Especially finding out that the boneless-looking roast is actually quite boneful and having to debone an unfamiliar cut... :suicide:

When I first made the recipe using pork shoulder, it resulted in terrific, tender meat that just pulled apart by itself. This time around, I actually chucked in a mix of shoulder and roast meat, since I had quite a bit more liquid than expected... But I'm up to 3 hours of stewing (1 last night, 2 this morning) and it doesn't seem to be getting tender. Is it because I basically interrupted cooking to dump it in the fridge? Should I leave it to stew some more?

e: welp, to answer my own question, an extra hour of stewing did the trick. The roast isn't as tender as the shoulder, and honestly doesn't taste that good in this recipe, so I'll stick to shoulder next time and keep roast for a braise or something else.

Pork loin really isn't a slow cooking till it falls apart kind of cut. It's got that fat cap on top, but overall is pretty lean. I usually score the fat cap and sear it all around, making sure it's extra crispy and brown on top. Then roast it at high heat until a hair before 140°, let it rest, then slice.