Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
So in general what's the difference between the dough for ravioli and the dough for pierogies? I'm curious about trying out filled pasta/dumplings, especially since I had some frozen store-bought pierogies that were so disgusting that they're provoking me to make some homemade just so that's not the note I leave that dish on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Window shopping for induction cooktops, how fragile are they? Do I have to be worried about using my cast iron in it like I would with an electric cooktop or is it more durable than that? Anybody actually have one, and how's it working out for you if so?

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
I'm considering cooking sous vide chicken breasts tomorrow and I'm wondering what exactly to do after they come out of the bag. How long should I sear the skin side, and do I sear the other side as well? First time cooking doing chicken in a dish that isn't "put chicken in baking dish, cover with sauce, bake until done" so I'm pretty unsure how I should approach this.

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Anybody have tips for cooking a lasagna in aluminum pans? I have seen some stuff like cook it lower longer, or double up on pans, but I wasn't sure what to believe. First time making a casserole, let alone in disposable pans that can throw off the cooking.

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
I've got a couple of friends who are doing the low-carb thing right now, and I don't really want to sabotage their plans. However, I don't really know what the principles of eating low carb are beyond the basics (meat eggs and bacon mmmm), much less how to cook really good low carb food and put together a menu that would work for both those guys and everybody else. Anybody know of any good resources aimed at someone trying to cook low carb without it getting repetitive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Hey folks!

Just tried the Serious Eats double-fried chicken wing recipe a couple of days ago and while delicious, I've got some serious concerns before I try it again. I overcooked them a little and lost a couple of wings to the dutch oven during the first fry - that's okay, I just need to be better about keeping them moving and willing to get them out sooner - and the real issue was that after an hour rest at room temperature, the wings that went into the non-stick wok very quickly clumped together and stuck something fierce. Trying to lower them down and keep them separated with the spider didn't work because they instead fused to the metal. Getting them separated took a lot of time, irreparably destroyed some of the skin and meat and also caused me quite a few shallow burns. Any suggestions on how to keep chicken wings from fusing up would be appreciated.