Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Thanks! Gonna try to figure out things to do with it later.

Make marmalade!

e: ^ you bastard! ^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Junior G-man posted:

How do I prevent my nonstick pans from 'popping' in the middle; forming a well or a hill in the middle? I know you don't put them from the flame straight into the water, but it still happens.

Do I need to heat them slowly slowly the first time to "temper" them or what am I doing wrong :(

And make sure that your burner and pan size correspond sortakinda. Best way to warp a pan besides going from redhot to icy water is heating a large pan on a small burner/coil (generally not an issue cooking on gas).

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
More chili questions: I have a ton of habaneros on my plants now, way more than I can eat, and I don't have much time to do stuff with them. Will they freeze well if I just cut them and bag them?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Thanks guys, I'm running around like a headless chicken these days, so with my luck I'd burn all the chiles if I tried my hand at drying them out. So freezer it is. Just pop em in whole, or de-stem and -seed first?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Ravingsockmonkey posted:

I realized the other day that the only way I've ever had beets is the canned variety which were in turn boiled and slathered in margarine. I'm wanting to experience fresh beets, but wanted a few good ideas on how to try them. Does anyone have a good recipe or two?

Bring to a boil & flash chill the beets, then you can skin them like you would an almond.

Beet carpaccio - thinly sliced beets with arugula, parmesan and olive or avocado oil.

Greek style beet salad - with capers, kalamatas, green beans in a mustard/sherry vinaigrette

Grated raw in a salad with raisins, parsley, hazelnuts, dressed with a good oil & lemonjuice

Toss with oil & thyme, bake for half an hour at 200c, serve with feta (or another crumbly goat's or sheep's cheese) and all the fresh herbs you can find (chervil and tarragon go really well with beets)

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Jose posted:

A meat cleaver. I looked at santoku knives but he's definitely after a meat cleaver

F. Dick makes a nice one. I think mine weighs in at around 2 1/2 lbs. If you want to go nuts, get him the double edged one from here: http://www.dick.de/en/tools-for-chefs-and-butchers/knives-and-ancillary-items-for-butchers/ancillary-items-for-butchers/cleavers/

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

dis astranagant posted:

I need some ideas for something easy that uses a ton of eggs and freezes well. I just came into possession of 4 dozen eggs dated 2 weeks from now and I'm leaving town for most of the week.

Spanish tortilla de papas freezes reasonably well, and is an easy reheater.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

dis astranagant posted:

To make sure I'm not utterly retarded: I cut up some taters, fried them over low heat til they were soft, covered them with beaten egg and turned up the heat, shaking the pan so it wouldn't stick and turning it over when I started to smell something burnt cuz I don't know the timing yet. That sound about right?

That's pretty much it, yeah. The difficulty is usually in flipping it.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
In our CSA boxes these weeks we're getting a lot of sunchokes/jerusalem artichokes, and I'm thoroughly uninspired. I don't really know how to get them to shine, they've never really appealed to me and have been relegated to random_filler_veg in soups etc.

Any suggestions for what I can do with them that'll make me and them happy?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Darval posted:

Thanks for the advice/penis jokes. I can't really decide if it should be the G-20 or G-21 (http://www.global-knife.com/products/global_g.html), but I'm thinking the G-21 would be easier to use with the thinner blade probably being more flexible.

I don't know any of the places you suggested, but I'll probably find something like it here in Denmark.

https://www.kunstogkokkentoj.dk are usually really good about letting you test stuff. https://www.hwl.dk a little less so, but they'll at least let you play with the stuff in store.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Sunchoke puree with a poached egg and cured pork is the actual best thing in the entire world.

Tell me more!

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm pretty sure you puree a sunchoke, then poach an egg, then maybe fry up some cured pork on the side.

Really? Wow.

e: thanks, ICR.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Nicol Bolas posted:

Sooooo . . . . I have fatback in my freezer. It's a big, flat piece of stuff, skin on, minimal meat on. It comes to me thanks to our meat CSA (so, local humane pig) and will probably be delicious if I do something with it. Trouble is, I have no idea what to do with it. The two times I have failed to take skin off of pork (both times with braising pork shoulder) it has wound up edible but weird in texture. Those instances had meat attached that made it okay. This is mostly skin and fat. I've googled extensively and the best idea I've gotten so far is to try out cracklings, but I can't help but feel like there's got to be some obvious, amazing, crazy work-intensive GWStastic thing I can do with this stuff. I have a meat grinder and a bunch of other appliances, and I'm not averse to work or long projects at all, so: if anyone has any ideas, hit me? I want to do this big weird flat pig justice.

Check out my liver pate recipe in the "Vetinarian's Midnight Snack" thread.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I'm making Thomas Keller's braised short ribs, but am a bit stumped. The original recipe calls for 'boneless chuck short ribs', and I'm unable to find out exactly what this cut is. Danish primal cuts are apparently a bit different than US ones, and I've been unable to find a proper description of where, exactly, this cut comes from. Mostly there's just a picture of the whole chuck and an arrow, which doesn't really do much.

Anyone able to help?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

SubG posted:

Imgur is down, and I apparently don't know how to do attachments. Anyway, the chuck is the front shoulder region. If you're looking at a side of beef, it's the part that's closest to the front and top of the former cow. If you cut a section through the cow to separate the front from the back, and you cut it just after the fifth rib (I think five is the correct number) then the front section would contain the chuck primal on top, and the fore shank and brisket underneath. Divide these, and the bottom third or so of the chuck primal is the chuck short ribs, which would be divided/portioned for retail sale.

Regular old short ribs are further back on the animal. If you took another section off the animal now and made the cut just after I think it's the twelfth rib, then you'd have the rib primal (containing the rib eyes, rib roasts, and so on) on top and the short plate on bottom. The top edge of the short plate is where short ribs come from, and the rest is usally used for ground beef or those pre-cut cubes on styrofoam that you see sold as stewing beef.

So the chuck short ribs would be - roughly - the front part of what's called "TVÆRREB" on this poster? http://www.lettenordiske.dk/OpskriftKategorier/Tips%20og%20tricks/~/media/Images/LetteNordiske/Tips/A4_Okse_LF.ashx

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Thanks, SubG. Now I know! A little worried that I'd have to pay too much though, if it interferes with their regular cuts. Ah well, we'll see.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Beef Wellington: How long in advance can I prep it? I'm thinking that I'd be fine leaving the beef-fungi-parm roll it in the fridge overnight and then doing the puff pastry on the day - any issues with that?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Mother in law accidentally defrosted a venison roast and pushed it on me, but it's hot as hell, and I don't feel like doing anything like a traditional game roast. Any suggestions?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

FooGoo posted:

Is there not a knife/kitchen utility thread or am I blind?

What's a good knife that will hold up with regular kitchen use? I'm done with the cheap crap but I don't need to shell out $1000 for a knife handmade by Japanese gnomes either. How is the quality of Henckels? What would you recommend? Thanks.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381440

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I feel like baking a cake, but am utterly uninspired - even after looking through my books.

I've got eggs, butter, sugar, flour, chocolate, a couple of lemons, can probably scrounge up a pear or two. No cream or milk in the house. Any suggestions?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Casu Marzu posted:

If you have a bottle of cheap red wine, make this

Good call, that's an excuse to drink the rest of the bottle.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

SubG posted:

Buy whatever other fish happens to be fresh and on sale or cheaper. Tilapia is pretty much dumpster-tier as far as fish goes; it has become popular precisely because it is relatively flavourless (and therefore can be dressed up with all kinds of mango chutney and crusted with walnuts or whatever the gently caress and'll end up tasting like whatever's been done to it instead of like a fish) and it's easy to farm. Since the popularity (it's now one of the couple most-consumed forms of seafood in the US) has driven the price up, there's almost literally no reason to pick it over whatever else your fishmonger might have handy unless it happens to be on sale that day.

I mean if you dig tilapia more power to ya. Seriously I don't care. I'm just throwing this out there as a sort of PSA because some people seem to have this weird impression that tilapia is `fancy' or something, when absolutely the opposite is true.

Edit: And don't get hung up on `fresh' versus `frozen'. Unless you caught it yourself, any fish you eat has almost certainly been frozen at some point. The overwhelming majority of fish go straight from the see to ice. And specifically if you're eating tilapia---most commercially-sold tilapia are farmed in China. You have almost certainly never eaten a tilapia that was not previously frozen.

Farmed tilapia is also one of the shittier fish as far as heavy metals and pesticides etc. They're largely fed using fishfood processed from the discards of fish fairly high in the food chain (salmon, cod)- the dried fishmeal and the superprocessed fishoil which has such lovely additives as ethoxyquin.

In general, farmed fish tend to be much more contaminated than non-farmed. (I SAID IN GENERAL, NOT ALWAYS)

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Give me your best recipe for fudgy, deliciously unhealthy brownies!

e: please?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I doubt that particular box will be available here in Daneland. I looked at Keller's recipe and at Alton Browns as well, I'll look a bit more and then return with a trip report!

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Jan posted:

Can I just sub all purpose flour in that thing? I barely ever bake so stocking on three different types of flour is kind of a pain.

I've only ever used AP flour and I've made these a bunch of times.

The only thing I'd suggest is going darker on the chocolate. THe dough IS quite sweet, so the bitterness from the choc provides a nice counterpoint.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Ripeness is everything with avocados. If you've only had the slightly underripe or vacuum ripened ones, I don't blame you for not enjoying them. They're inspid, tasteless things.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It's important to scald milk before using it in any dough - to do so, heat it up over low heat until steam just starts to rise, then let it cool to room temperature. This destroys a protein in milk that prevents gluten from forming.

I'd never heard about this before, so I was rather skeptical. Apparently you're right, whey can inhibit the formation of gluten. I would stress that the importance of doing this can't be that great, though - I've baked quite a bit of bread and cake with milk as the liquid, and I've never had problems with the crumb - and I've never seen a recipe that called for it.

I'm thinking maybe the (slight?) inhibiting effect of the whey has been conflated with the old scald-before-you-use-milk-more-than-a-day-old of the days before mandatory pasteurization to make it seem even more important?

Dane fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 21, 2014

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Steve Yun posted:

There's a restaurant industry thread, which covers careers.

I'm almost certain they'll tell you to stay away from cooking because 1 your sense of smell but also 2 it will probably not pay as well 3 will be more stressful on your body 4 will be more stressful, period. The ongoing joke there is that succeeding in the restaurant business is usually getting out of it.

I have a weak sense of taste/smell and I'm constantly having to ask people to taste things for me to double check. I make a fool of myself once in a while because I can't identify a flavor or identify a missing flavor. I get by in cooking as a hobby because I follow recipes pretty well and I think I'm pretty good on the technical aspects, but because of my weak sense of taste I don't feel as much freedom to experiment and create new ingredient combinations as other people do. I think the people who eat my food appreciate its flavors more than I do. I couldn't imagine relying on my palate for a living.

I have a friend with severely impaired sense of taste (apparently the last remnants of a brain injury following a car crash, can that be true?) who thinks he's got the world's best intuition as far as food goes.

He might. Except because of his lovely tastebuds he can't really test if his imaginary dish holds up. And if he dreams up something that has a touch of cinnamon, well, to him it might be a touch but to the rest of us it's like being choked to death in a sack of the stuff. He's not allowed to cook for others any more - at least not without supervision a helping hand with the spices in the kitchen.

Oddly enough he makes really awesome fruit wines.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Eleeleth posted:

So I spent $2 and got this:

Now that I'm home and the 'holy poo poo I got the best deal' is wearing off, I'm not sure what to do with all these.

I obviously must make hot sauce, but I'm kind of at a loss as to what I can use this amount for in a short time without making something ungodly hot.

Freeze the remains. THey keep for a really long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I just scrolled through the last fifty posts and it read like dialogue from The Smurfs with "smurf" substituted by "tofu".