Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Chard posted:

What's the lowest proof a liqueur can be before I have to worry about spoilage? I'm trying to stock a home bar but I don't want to drop a bunch of cash on fancy drinks if it turns out I have to empty the whole bottle once it's open.

40%/volume (most of your hard liquors) will last until the apocalypse.

I've read on other boards that someone had a 25 year old bottle of Kahlua he found that was still fine when he opened it. Old Kahlua was 26.5%/volume, recently they switched to 20% which should still be fine, I have 3 year old bottles that are still good.

Below that, I'm not sure.

edit: Bailey's for sure goes bad a few months after it's opened (manufacturer says 30 months if unopened), it's 17%/volume but you also have to consider that it contains dairy. I think vermouth (17%) goes bad a few months after opening as well.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Other things to try at a legit Korean place:

Bokkeum bap, it's like bibimbap but cooked in a stone or cast iron bowl so the rice gets a little crispy

Soon tofu is boiling tofu soup, awesome stuff

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
At my first job I drank a dozen cokes a day at least, and gained 30 lbs over the course of a few months.

One day I was running to my friend's car to go get lunch, and all of a sudden manboobs that I didn't know were there before started whipping up and down like I was in the opening of Baywatch. I had to grab my own boobs while running to keep it from hurting.

Switched to diet coke, lost 20 lbs in one month.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 14, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

The stone pot stuff is dolsot bibimbap, bokkeumbap is fried rice.
Oops yeah, you're right, I got them mixed up

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey, so my oven seems to leak a lot of heat through the top. I looked inside the oven and noticed there's a square hole in the roof of the inside of the oven, venting all this heat out. Is this normal?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Mach420 posted:

What the hell? Did someone steal your broiler element or something?

Naw, mine's the old kind where the broiler is on the bottom

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Ovens generally vent heat/moisture out the top. Sometimes it is vented more or less directly on the back burners of the range.

Thanks. This can't be for all ovens though, can it? I think some of my friends have ovens that emit barely any heat

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 22, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
4 x 4 inch hole in roof of oven, vents out of a slit beneath the console

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Knockknees posted:

Speaking of spices, I tried to make the pumpkin dal recipe posted earlier in this thread and I feel like I failed somehow. The texture came out just right, but the spice/flavor was just, ugh. It was slightly bitter and tasted very chalky to me. I felt like it was missing warm comfort food taste I associate with dal. If there's a next time, maybe I should cut back on the tumeric and cardamom? Is there anything I can add to it to give it that missing umph?

The other two people I fed it to seemed to like it though, so maybe I was just being little miss sensitive palette or something.

What kind of pumpkins are you using? If they're a jack-o-lantern variety, they're pretty bland

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 28, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

eightysixed posted:

Does anyone have a link to Alton Brown's (I think it was his..) meatloaf recipe? All I can find is the Good Eats one with croutons and cayenne pepper and whatnot.

This one was similar to that (with the almost pureed veggies), but I can't seem to find it anymore, and someone was asking me about it. Thanks :)

There are several fan-made variations on the internet

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-...iw=994&bih=1031

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

razz posted:

Can I freeze stuff in glass jars?
I'd recommend against water (it's somewhat unique in that it expands when frozen), but it seems some people freeze their chicken stock in glass jars and compensate for the expansion by leaving some room at the top

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You could probably go almost full and leave an inch at the the top

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

This is somewhat last minute but my dad wants a cleaver for his birthday. I've found various things within my price range but can anyone recommend what I should go for in terms of weight etc? He wants a wood handle I know that much. Unfortunately it has to come from online.

Just for veggies or are we talking about a meat cleaver? Cause I think asian veggie cleavers are thinner and meat cleavers are heavier

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

windwaker posted:

So, I enjoy getting steaks whenever I go to a fairly nice restaurant, but I've never cooked them myself. I'm pretty confident in my ability to season and pan fry a steak (rare), but do you guys have any pointers about how I should pick out a steak in the first place? I'm planning on going to QFC/Safeway/Whole Foods but I don't really know what to look for.

Do you know what cuts you like for your steak? NY Strip? Ribeye?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

windwaker posted:

I am literally so naïve about steak that I really couldn't tell any cuts apart. I suppose the answer to this is just, "buy random steaks until you find one you like?"
Yeah, just buy a bunch of different things on sale. These will be steaks that have been sitting there a few days and the manager wants to clear them out before they go bad. They are perfectly fine if you eat them in the next day or two.

Look up some steak charts on the internet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak#Types_of_beef_steaks
http://www.chigourmetsteaks.com/steak_guide.php

Once you identify a cut that you like, then pay a few more bucks and try out the USDA Select grade of that steak. Once you get a handle on those, you can try out USDA Choice grade steaks.

Myself, I don't have a favorite cut, I just get different ones every time I go shopping

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

QuentinCompson posted:

I'm making food for this next Thursday. I'd like to make a dessert that my father can partake of according to his doctor's advice- so nothing with sugar or excessive oil/fat. Something fruit-based would be best. Any ideas?
#1 Fruit in yogurt

#2 If you put frozen bananas in a blender you get something close to ice cream

#3 If honey is okay for your dad you can also make this fruit compote topping for the "banana ice cream" http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/dried-pear-and-fig-compote-recipe/index.html

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Nov 16, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It's from the Natural Harvest cookbook, isn't it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If you wanna try it undiluted for fun, dip a toothpick in it and scrape the toothpick on your tortilla chips.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 17, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It sounds like they all might be right.

Turkey does have a tendency to turn dry when cooked, it's huge and round, and the top (usually the breast) will get dryer than other parts of the bird because #1 it's white meat and #2 it's exposed to more heat than the rest of the turkey.

Brining introduces salt into the meat, which holds onto the water and keeps it from evaporating off as quickly.

One extra thing you can do is put the turkey in an oven bag, this is a plastic bag that can withstand up to 400° and keeps all the moisture from escaping.

As for temps, I dunno, I'd just do 350 because 250 will probably take forever.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, a tablespoon of flour

Dunno how it affects cooking time, I just followed the recommended cooking time on the bag

http://www.reynoldsovenbags.com/turkey-central.aspx

Hmm, I guess they also recommend having a meat thermometer to make sure the internal temp is correct

edit: VVVVV Yes, you won't get a crispy skin but it wasn't gross or soggy and the bag didn't melt or anything like that, what did you do!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 18, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anyone dealt with grass-fed steak? My local grocery started carrying them. I love the flavor, but good lord it's tough as shoe leather. I'm reading that grass fed has lower fat and water content, so it cooks faster so you have to cook it slower and at lower temps. The inside seems fine, but the outside is still tough. Should I give up on searing it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Cowcatcher posted:

Any comments on a KitchenAid 700W KFPW760ER 12-Cup Food Processor?

I have one in another color, works great, you can even chop almonds fine enough to make french macarons with it.

Although I don't use it that often, just for big jobs, because there's a bunch of parts to clean and I always have to decide between cleaning a knife and cutting board or disassembling and cleaning five parts.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 22, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Ktb posted:

I recently ate some sort of beef and pear stew thing. It was absolutely delicious and I want to make it myself. However google is giving me a ton of recipes and none of them sound like the right thing. The girl that brought it in said that it was Korean. I'm pretty sure it had garlic, ginger, some chilli and soy sauce but beyond that I have no idea. Does anyone know what this dish is called or have a recipe for it?

Did it look like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoPeVS03A3A&feature=player_detailpage#t=505s

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Gentlemen, gentlemen, please. If you are looking for mandoline slicer, there is only one option that can be taken seriously

http://www.amazon.com/Bron-Original-Stainless-Mandolin-Slicer/dp/B0001BMZ38/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322036209&sr=8-1

Okay so it's $177. My french cooking instructor had one and showed me how to make waffle potato chips on it (his was older and didn't come with a hand guard). This thing is an absolute monster.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 23, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

2508084 posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, so apologies in advance. I bought a Wusthof 7" Santoku sometime last year. I love it to death, but its lost some of its sharpness. Do I sharpen it myself or take it to someone local to be sharpened? If I can sharpen it myself, what should I use? I've never owned a good quality knife before, so I'm not really certain on how to sharpen it properly beyond what I saw family do with their cheap knives (and I doubt it was correct). I love my knife and want to make sure it gets proper treatment :shobon:
Take it to a knife sharpening shop or a key duplicator (they often have knife sharpening equipment). Should be something like $6-7. Do this once a year. It's an absolute crime that almost everyone I know doesn't bother getting their knives sharpened and continue to cut with dull poo poo.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 25, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'm hosting Christmas for my extended family this year. If not turkey, what else would be a good main course?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If you have a Sur La Table near you, they let you try out their knives. Try a few boners in different sizes and see what feels good in your hand

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Have you looked at the G-30? It appears to have the shape, width and length that you're looking for.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
When I'm browning butter, is it normal for it to form brown particles in a yellow liquid, or is the liquid part supposed to get brown with no solid particles forming?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'm at Sur La Table and they're having a 1/3 off sale on Staub Dutch ovens. Which one should I get? 5 qt round, 5 qt oval or 7 qt round? Will a 5 qt hold an average grocery chicken?

Edit: ended up with the 5 quart Round

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 10, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

dms666 posted:

Is this a decent macaron recipe? Never made them before and have a few filling ideas, just need a recipe for the cookie part. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2007/10/how-to-make-macarons-recipe.html

Dunno, but here's the recipe me and Kathandrion used successfully for comparison:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437879&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post397441951

edit: I would guess that although they have different ratios, either one will probably work fine

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 13, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I like turtles posted:

I've gotten to really like places like TJMaxx and Tuesday Morning and stuff, since they'll often get, like, Le Creuset overstock and sell it for 40% of the retail price.

I dunno why, but all the discount stores have been filling up with lots of Le Creuset lately

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Shredded cheese usually has cellulose added to keep the shreds from sticking to each other. This cellulose prevents it from melting properly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Cake normally doesn't ship well but the frosting shells should help it keep. How far away are we talking?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
People have varying opinions on white. Its very common in Asian cooking and smells slightly pungent to me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay guys I'm going to do the crown toast for christmas dinner, it looks bad rear end and sounds like it's relatively little work. My question is... is making a bread stuffing in the middle of the crown roast a bad idea?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey, so about this crown roast I'm planning to do... I looked up a bunch of recipes and it seems half of them say to just pop it in the oven and others say to do a marinade/rub/whatever. Anyone wanna recommend one way or the other?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

Good meat doesn't deserve a marinade. Do you have good meat?

Vacuum sealed pork racks from Costco most likely

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ok, so last question about crown roast... brine? Or unnecessary?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ugh looks like I'm going to have to anyways. Costco ran out of pork racks and no grocer in my immediate area had any racks so I ended up buying a pre-made crown roast. It has slits to help it bend.

And I was really looking forward to making it from scratch :(

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Don't the slits mean it loses more moisture?