Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I just tried my hand at making beef stock and I find it very flavorless. I used:

5 lbs roasted cut marrow bones
2 large carrots
1 huge white onion
3 celery stalks
2 bay leafs
20ish peppercorns
tablespoon of thyme
water to cover the mix

Typical simmer for 6 hours with the cover on.

Yield: a little less than 4 litres of stock.

I guess I'll need to reduce to get the flavor I'm looking for but that seems like a lot of work for 3 liters of stock. Did I not use enough bones or aromatics?

Finally, what happens if you leave stock simmering for a long time, like 16 hours? It was midnight last night when it was finished and I was tempted to just leave it simmering and go to bed instead of dealing with the filtering and cooling at that hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Hmm.. I should try warming up a few tablespoons worth and salting it before reducing it more. Thanks for the replies.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Even salted my stock doesn't taste good. I decided to reduce it by 2/3 since it didn't gel at all when in the fridge and it has more flavour now but it's not a good flavour. Kind of bitter and not much beef at all.

I didn't burn the bones when I browned them. I just don't know were the flavour went. The stock did boil for a few minutes at the start and it never generated much foam while simmering.

Any suggestions?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I browned the bones for 60 minutes at 400 w/convection in a dark pan. I did deglaze however there was a lot of fat and not much crispy stuff to deglaze.

I cooked the veggies for about 15 minutes in the stock pot before adding the water. The onions were starting to brown when I stopped. The veggies didn't burn as far as I know.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

slavedaeva posted:

An hour roast seems a bit long, but if you were flipping and watching for char then it may not be the culprit of the bitter. From the sound you did everything expected to get a proper stock.

Good to know. I'll try again sometime soon. Thanks.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Quickie question. I have to cook for 15 guys so I picked up 4 boneless sirloin top roasts, two around 3.5 lbs and two around 2.5 lbs.

I need to cook these in one oven. I was planning on 450 for 20 min then down to 325 and pulling out at around 125 on the bigger ones, which should give me around medium-well done on the smaller two (not by my choice).

For a single roast I'm looking at around 18 min / lb, right? How much will having four roasts, three in one pan and one in the other, affect this timing?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
How do I get a nice dark rich gravy with a beef stew? Mine always comes out light.

Color and richness has to come from browning the meat, right? My normal method is to coat the beef cubes in flour and brown with oil then deglaze with red wine after the final batch is done. I imagine my problem is that I'm not browning my meat enough.

How do you brown multiple batches of cubes without the previous fond burning? Deglaze after each batch or is there a simpler trick?

For stock I use an instant beef stock from a beef base paste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Is it a big deal that a pressure cooker maxes out at 13 psi instead of the US standard of 15 psi? How much of a difference will it make? Should I hold out for a 15 PSI unit?