Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
This might not be an easily answered question:

I've never been able to stand fish. I love sushi and such, where it's small raw bits with lots of rice and other ingredients, but just normal fish fillet meals like salmon or tilapia have always made my stomach turn.

As trashy as it sounds, though, I do like fried fish sandwiches, like you get at a fast food place. So about once a month, I get some frozen flounder fillets, sprinkle liberally with Old Bay, and bread with egg and panko. Fry, and make a sandwich with lettuce, tomato, onion and a quick remoulade that I make in a food processor: capers, anchovies, dijon, tarragon, lemon, and sriracha, stirred into mayo. At least I think that's a version of remoulade. Without the remoulade, it's too fishy tasting to me.

Anyway, my partner loves fish of all types, and I'd like to find some common ground, that I can stomach eating and he'll love. He's not picky and doesn't cook.

Based on what I like and don't like, any recipe suggestions or other general fish suggestions that I might like? I have no problem trying something and not liking it, because he'll still love it and I can fill up on sides.

I know the obvious answer is "bread a piece of fish and fry it", but I'd like something a bit more interesting than a bun-less fish sandwich. I'm a pretty competent cook, and have no problem trying extensive or complicated dishes, so long as they're something with no real experience cooking fish pull off.

I do love shellfish of all types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

GrAviTy84 posted:

I do think it's kind of funny that you complain about fishy tasting fish, but your remoulade has anchovies in it.

I have made seared raw tuna and really liked it, and I guess I had forgotten all about it. I'll try some of your other suggestions, too, thank you.

As far as the anchovies go, I'm still pretty horrified about them. But a year ago I finally realized what a wonderful, rich addition they add to lots of different sauces, without adding an outright fish taste to them, just a richness.

So, like a giant puss, I hold my breath (the smell is awful, in my opinion), and dump the can right into the food processor or pot I'm cooking sauce in, and try to look at it from the corner of my eye so as not to actually look at them. I know, I'm ridiculously grossed out by fish.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Since I live in an incredibly rural area, I hate to admit that I haven't managed to eat at a Japanese place in probably 6 or 7 years. I've had a lifelong hardon for Udon soup, though.

So, in my rural hillbilly ways, I've become addicted to instant Udon, Annie Chungs, I think. It's a little bland, but if you add a dollop of soy sauce and stir in a little fish sauce, it's pretty good.

This weekend I'm going to be about 40 minute away, in a part of the closest town that supposedly has a pretty nice Japanese grocery, at least according to google reviews. http://tensukemarket.com/ if anyone has heard of it.

Anyway, I wanted to learn how to make a nice Udon. Has anyone had any luck with a specific recipe? Any other advice? I was thinking of adding something to it, to make it a bit more meaty, like maybe shrimp? I'd love suggestions, because I don't know much about Japanese cuisine. If I did add shrimp, what would be the best way to prepare them?

Also, any suggestion as to something on the side to make it a complete meal? I'm not a huge fish guy so I'd like something a bit different.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

scuz posted:

1.) How awesome is https://www.cookmarked.com anyway?

2.) Some external enamel paint on my cast-iron dutch oven flaked/chipped off. What should I repair this with? "Nothing" is an option I suppose.

It wasn't by chance that god-awful Paula Deen poo poo, is it?

I was at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago, and couldn't believe how cheap it was for enameled cast iron, so I grabbed a stockpot. I have a nice reliable all-clad setup at home, but it was only like 25 bucks so I couldn't resist. Just sliding around in the cart, enamel started to chip off, so I returned it to the shelf before I made it to the checkout.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
The instant crap I've been downing is in a light broth, with more noodles than broth. Then tiny chunks of freeze dried tofu, mushroom and I think scallions. And the occasional spicy bit, but I don't know what that is.

Several of the recipes that I looked up strongly suggested that you never use dried noodles, as Hawkgirl recommended. The instant stuff I buy has a sealed packet of "fresh" noodles.

Anyone have experience with either? I really love the noodles, big and thick and gummy. I'd be disappointed if I bought dried and they didn't have the same texture.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

GrAviTy84 posted:

I usually just eyeball it. Hondashi, soy sauce, and mirin in some water. You can fortify with some chicken or beef stock and with some thinly sliced chicken or beef. My favorite udon is Nabeyaki udon and has shrimp tempura on it. You can also poach an egg in the broth. Top the whole shpeal with fish cake slices, scallion slivers, and a light drizzle of toasted sesame oil.

When I told my partner about making udon this weekend, and wanting to put something on top to make it meatier, he suggested my shrimp tempura, but I figured that it would get all soggy sitting atop damp, steaming noodles.

Are you saying it doesn't? I've only made shrimp tempura a few times, but he's in love with it (he had never had tempura).

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I haven't bought any sort of non-canned food at Wal-Mart in a long time, but I keep seeing commercials and constant product placement on MasterChef about new steaks they have that you can get your money back on if they aren't fantastic.

I'm very skeptical, but has anyone tried them?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
That's been my assumption, but just wondered since they talked them up so much on MasterChef. I know that's all product placement, but if they were really terrible it seems like one of the three chefs that were talking them up would have put their foot down.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I've only ever eaten duck once, and never cooked with it. The farm behind me raises them, and apparently had extras (or are just extra nice), because they sent their tiny kid over with several ducks ready for cooking.

They're whole, of course, and giant. Any tips for cooking them or recipe recommendations?

Also, they sent him over at 6:45am. I love having so many great farms around, but hate their schedule!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Anyone have a good method of heating up leftover takeout fried rice? It's always dry or hard when I just microwave it. I've put a splash of water over it (just heating it up in the takeout box), which helps a bit as it seems to sort of steam it, but I'd still like it to be better.

If it makes a difference, it's my local places "house special" fried rice, which has shrimp, chicken and pork in it, too.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Like a bowl, or would you suggest spreading it out over a plate? It's a mostly full one quart box. I'm not clear on how this works well, though, because in my microwave the steam goes up, but it's a pretty cheap model.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Dumb question, I know, but I can't think of anywhere else to ask it.

We all know what "edible" means, but is there a similar word, but pertaining to beverages? I've been wondering that for quite some time.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
That's perfect, thanks!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I have two very close friends who are a couple, and pretty soon I'm going to be spending a weekend at their house. I want to make a mind-blowing meal for them, because they've been very kind to me, and being that they're from the south, have made me some pretty amazing comfort food in the past. They even taught me to embrace and love okra, and the one of their parents has a farm in MS that grows okra and butter beans, so I have a constant supply of it these days.

I live near a lamb farm, so I have access to some wonderful fresh lamb, and they're requesting a lamb meal, because neither of them have ever cooked it before.

A year or so ago I (stupidly, I know) made an ossu bucco recipe from... aghast... Rachel Ray, because it had great reviews. It was OK, but nothing I'd make again.

I just want something really mind-blowing, over the top, involving lamb, and I'm not very creative when it comes to cooking so I wouldn't mind a whole-meal suggestion, meaning sides and such. Any ideas? I'm very open and, when given a recipe, pretty drat sufficient in the kitchen.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Tomorrow is my partner's birthday. It's been a rough year and I want to give him a nice, special meal. His request is beef wellington, something neither of us has ever eaten, and I've never cooked. He cooks like Sandra Lee, so this one is all on me. He was born and raised in Sicily, and his idea of homemade tomato pasta sauce is Ragu and sugar, for God's sake.

Anyone have any recipes they've had success with, or just general recommendations for the recipe? The recipes I've found all seem relatively simple, but having never made or tasted wellington, I'm just dying for help.

Thanks!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Kenning posted:

How does someone that goes by the handle "Grand Fromage" not have access to cheesecloth?

I go by criscodisco, and have never once used Crisco. I just thought it was a funny rhyme.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Got quite drunk last night, and made some very sloppy mashed potatoes (among other things), that you'll probably all laugh at me for.

Boiled little red potatoes (with skin) in water and the fluid from rehydrating dried morel mushrooms. Then mashed them in a hot mixture of sour cream, heavy cream and butter, plus salt and pepper.

Anyway, any ideas for turning the leftover potatoes into something different? I've never done anything with leftover mashed potatoes other than warm them and eat them... what are my options?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Oh, and I forgot, shredded jarlsberg, too, in case that makes a difference.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Drink and Fight posted:

Stuffed mushrooms! Just clean out the mushroom cap, glob in some potatoes, and bake for about 20 minutes. If you use big portobellos, you can make a little well in the top and crack an egg in. Also crumbled bacon or pancetta.

Now that sounds like a plan! Have a pound of mushrooms in the fridge just waiting to get eaten, plus some sausage I can mix in. Would topping with a little bread crumbs or panko be a good or bad idea?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Drink and Fight posted:

Stuffed mushrooms! Just clean out the mushroom cap, glob in some potatoes, and bake for about 20 minutes. If you use big portobellos, you can make a little well in the top and crack an egg in. Also crumbled bacon or pancetta.

These were awesome! Had a carton (a pound, I think) of plain white mushrooms that happened to be jumbo, so fried up some ground sausage, then drained the grease and mixed in the mashed potatoes, and shoved a healthy dollop into each shroom, with a nice mound atop each one.

Topped with grated jarlsberg, and then

Tendales posted:

Melt a little butter, stir it into the panko, and mash it right on top.

and did that, and baked for about 15 minutes, and then broiled for about 3 minutes to really crisp up the panko and give it some texture. I basically attacked them like I've been on Survivor for 4 years.

Thanks for the help!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I have a habit of buying cooking supplies on a whim. Recently, I did this with a giant block of Himalayan pink salt, the kind you use to cook on or chill and serve on. I bought it only because I had remembered reading on here about them years ago.

Any good ideas or resources for what to do with this thing? I think they're mainly used for seafood applications, and all I have in the fridge is some yellowfin and singer Argentine red shrimp.

Thanks for any help!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I have a question about meat tenderizer. I've never used it, and honestly never thought I had any use for such a thing.

Going through my meat freezer, I discovered that I have a good number of "eye of round" steaks that I genuinely don't remember buying. I tried pan searing a couple and they were very tough.

I was gonna make a few more when my partner gets home in the morning, and planned on a slow oven cook to tenderize it. However, on a whim I grabbed a jar of meat tenderizer at the grocery. It's just cornstarch and painan.

The instructions call for wetting the meat, dusting with the tenderizer and by no means use any salt at all. I typically use a coffee rub, but now I'm scared to use salt.

I'm all for not using this tenderizer at all, if y'all have any better ideas for tenderizing this irredeemable meat. If not, anyone have experience with meat tenderizer?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Wow, that looks fantastic. Looks like I've found a recipe for the morning. Thank you so much!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Agreed. When she started using the electric pepper mill I panicked because I thought the dog was making that sound.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

This was easy and excellent. Thanks again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
As did mine, and I've made them a handful of times as an adult. Serve then with remoulade.