Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Generalisimo Halal posted:

Not to my knowledge if you want to eat them raw. Shucking is a bit tough, it takes some practice (and if you're like me, oyster shell embedded in your hand)

The first several dozen oysters that I shucked was hit and missed. It looked like an oyster massacre in my kitchen with destroyed and chipped shells. It was not pretty!

BUT...once I got the procedure down, its so easy. I rarely chip the shells or end up with chunks of shell. Occasionally you will get one...I just chalk it up to them having not as strong shells as the others or I didn't apply pressure quite right.

You will do fine. It really is a matter of practice. Once you learn where the hinge is and the right way to do it, the little buggers will open and give their sweet sweet briny goodness up to you. Best advice I can give you is to hold them on the counter wrapped in a towel in case the shucker slips as well as giving you stability, and to wiggle the shucker in (you will know when it is in it just feels right! God that sounds dirty but oh well). Make sure the oyster shells are flat side up and curved side down!! It makes it easier to open that way and keeps the oyster juice inside the shell mostly. Once its in give a good turn to the side to release the pressure. I can hear a actual pop most of the time when its good.

Just practice, its not an easy skill but I am amazed how many people don't have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I love Indian food, and would like to be brave and attempt to start cooking it on my own.

Anyone have a good cookbook recommendation for the basics? I prefer to learn the basics first then branch off into the fancier versions if at all possible.

If it helps any, my husband loves chicken vindaloo, and I am a lamb korma/rogan josh fan. I have been looking online, but I don't really know if the ones I am looking at are good for beginners or not.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Thank you all for the advice on those books...I put in an order for them thru Amazon so should have them in my hands shortly.

Appreciate all the help!

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Ok I am making the leap into making some Indian cuisine this weekend. However, at the Indian places we go to...they all seem to have a tamarind sauce. It's not chunky, but rather smooth with a bit of pulp in it.

It is sweet with a strong tangy/sour/slightly spicy flavor to it and I adore it. Question I have tho, is that the tamarind chutney? I was under the impression that it should be more chunky if it were a chutney.

Any ideas on how I could replicate this? Whenever I ask at the restaurants what it is they just say it is tamarind sauce that they make there daily and that's all the info I get out of them.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 27, 2012

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Wow...it looks really close to it! :) Thanks!

I'm heading out to get stuff to make lamb rogan josh, so I can pick up these ingredients as well. Appreciate the help!

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I also snagged some flash frozen shark and mahi mahi.

Found this list for shark, wondering if anything is good:
http://www.ranker.com/list/the-7-most-delicious-shark-recipes/joanne

Definitely looking for personal recommendations though.

I love to eat shark. I tend to broil/bake the steaks like I do my swordfish, very simply. I line a pan with foil, grease it with some non-stick spray and then set the fish on the pan. I then throw some herbs on it, (usually something like tarragon/parsley etc), sprinkle some sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Dot with some butter and cook away...usually about 10 mins per inch seems to be right (for baking). I think its about 375 or 400 that I baked it at. It's simple and good, and you get the taste of the shark shining through. After its out of the oven, my husband likes to put a bit of lemon on it. I don't care for lemon that much tho, I like it just plain and simple because its such a good tasting fish.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

How does everybody like to cook theirs? I usually go with a crock pot full of beer. I simmered it in water the first time I made it from scratch and it turned out okay, but a lot less interesting than stout-simmered.

I posted this in the other thread but hey...here you go again :P Its for a baked corned beef with mustard, cloves and brown sugar, and sauteed cabbage/onion/garlic. Its a favorite at our house.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/corned_beef_and_cabbage/

If you need to use the pre-made corned beef this is a nice variation on it. I have been using it a while and its fantastic. I bet it would be even better with a homemade corned beef too.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 17, 2012

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Anybody have some good bbq sauce recipes to share? The wiki really doesn't have a ton. Bonus points for Memphis or Kansas City styles.

Not a recipe per se, but my SIL makes a really good thrown together sauce with vinegar, tomato sauce, molasses, red peppers etc. The odd thing is then she adds a couple of spoonfuls of jam or fruit preserves (according to what flavors she is looking for).

Haven't had anything like that before...but it was so unusual to have that subtly different sweetness with cherry or of huckleberry undertones beneath the main taste and bite of the sauce.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Little late for the doner kebeb chat...but this is our recipe if it can still be used.

This is the closest we have been able to find to the stuff my husband grew up on in England. He says that they are REALLY close taste-wise to what he used to get in the chippy shops, and they aren't cooked like the elephant legs are.

Basically, take:

1 lb ground lean lamb (you do want some fat! They tend to add tail fat in England to theirs from what I was told.)
2 cloves crushed garlic
1.5 tsp ground oregano
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Add 1-2 tsp marjoram (to taste) and 1-2 tsp mint (to taste)

Mix them all together well in a medium bowl, and then let sit covered in the fridge for 12-24 hours. The trick is to let them marinate like sausages to get the maximum flavor. Shape into patties about 1/2 thick, then broil 8-10 mins till no longer pink. Slice thinly and then serve with pita bread, sliced tomatoes, thinly sliced onion and cucumber-garlic sauce (tzatziki).

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

If I liked white wine, maybe. The only reason I got this was to cook with, It's not even that good wine. I'm looking more for food recipes, I generally drink red sangria etc.

I make a chicken and leek pie (like a pot pie, double crusted) that uses white wine in the sauce. You could probably do something similar to that...white wine goes great with chicken dishes in my experience.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
So I was at my local garden shop which sadly closed doors as of last weekend. I picked up a few of their jarred goods they had...like some apple butter, and some fantastic huckleberry jam.

They had one bottle of something I have never heard of before, Sweet Potato Pecan Butter. It is freakin one of the best things I have EVER tasted and I want more. Since they closed down, there isn't a way for me to contact them, and the little farm they got it from seems to be out of business as well.

So I am seeking desperately a way to make this yummy stuff because I am almost out and I need more. Yes, NEED.

I assume that its probably along the same lines as apple butter, but I have never made that either. I do have access to a large slow cooker or I can do on stove if needed.

Anyone have any recipes or ideas on how I can make this?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Slifter posted:

I've made butter from squash and it was pretty amazing. I imagine you can do the same thing with sweet potatoes and add pecans afterwards. What was the texture of it? was it completely smooth or were there chunks of nuts in it?

It has chunks of pecans in it, and the flavor is very much like a fantastic sweet potato pie. Smooth, but with bits of crushed pecans interspersed throughout.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Just wanted to pat myself on the back here for a minute.

I had a bunch of chicken feet and bones stored in the freezer, and I finally decided I was going to make stock, and make it right. Threw it in the crock pot with cold water, added some carrots, celery and onion and some apple cider vinegar and 17 hours later on low, then I strained it and put it in the fridge and I found just now that:

I have meat jello! It's so good! I am so proud of myself! And it was so easy. I was so worried it was going to be hard and I would mess it up but I know what I am doing next weekend :) Making that crock pot work!

Cannot remember what thread I got this from but this is so yummy! You all are such an influence on me...I can't go back to premade stock/broth. This was too drat good.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Thanksgiving is right around the corner for us here in the States, and I cannot find the recipe I used last year for a cold cranberry relish/sauce. I am kicking myself at the moment since I have about 6 people asking for the recipe to be made again this year :(

Anyone have a recipe for it that they think is amazing and that they want to share please?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

New Weave Wendy posted:

One bag of frozen cranberries, one cup of sugar, and the zest and juice of your choice of citrus. Add to saucepan and cook over medium low heat until the berries start to burst. You can serve it warm or chilled.

Thank you :)

Trying it tonight to see how it goes...appreciate the help!

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Slifter posted:

This is good as a base recipe, I like to add some toasted pecans, cinnamon, and rum on top of it. Also I do sugar by taste, I like my cranberries significantly less sweet than it is often served, though if you do this remember it will be a little less sweet if it's served cold so you may need to overshoot a little.

I just recall I had made it with orange zest and orange juice, sugar, cranberries, chopped apples, pecans and a few other ingredients. It turned out so good and everyone absolutely loved it. I will have to fiddle around with that base and see if I can get close to it. I am seriously kicking myself atm for misplacing the recipe that I used.

Appreciate all the help...I will try the suggestions and see what I can get.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Balsamic vinegar is incredibly good. Used as dipping or as a glaze of sorts. I have fallen in love with it as a dip for chicken on its own.

Apple cider vinegar is great for making stock (at least how I make it) and its good to add to your pet chicken's water too apparently.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

Loco moco. Steamed rice topped with a hamburger patty and a sunny side up egg smothered in gravy. I'm salivating just typing that.

You and me both baby.

That is one of my favorite things ever. When we went to Hawaii I think I had it every day :) I was in heaven....

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

kinmik posted:

What's your favorite thing to put on pizza? Just want some ideas before we go shopping.

I have always loved my family's seafood pizza. It's a bit unusual but I love it. Bacically, its a pizza with an olive garlic oil base instead of the sauce, and then you put on the cheese, and add scallops, bay shrimp, crab and sometimes langostinos or smoked salmon. I also tend to add spinach, a bit of shredded coconut and some pineapple or almonds when I am in the mood for them. I then just cook the pizza as usual. Easy but so good.

It's different, but I really like it. I have converted several people to liking it after they all went "EWWWW that sounds awful!!" Afterwards though, most went "Wow...that's actually really good!"

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Well, overall dinner did great. Turkey was amazing, and I will be spatchcocking it again from now on.

My pumpkin pies, per always, turned out great. My experimental pecan pie (which I have never made before) tasted wonderful but was so syrupy in the middle.

This is the recipe, I followed it as written. Can someone tell me what I did wrong to make it so syrupy in the center? I left it in the oven for an hour, maybe it needed longer. It didn't jiggle much when I shook it, so I am a little at a loss.

https://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/4912-old-fashioned-pecan-pie

Old-Fashioned Pecan Pie
From Cook's Country | October/November 2009

Why this recipe works:

The overly sweet, artificial-tasting pecan pies of today bare little resemblance to their 19th-century inspiration. Could we recreate a traditional pecan pie without using modern day, processed corn syrup?

We tried a host of traditional syrups (cane, sorghum) to replicate the flavors in a traditional pecan pie. While many produced great pies, we couldn't find them at our local supermarket and had to mail away for them. After exhaustive testing, we discovered that combining maple syrup with brown sugar and molasses replicated the old-fashioned pies almost as well as the mail-ordered syrups, and certainly much better than corn syrup ever could.

To ensure the bottom crust was crisp and golden brown, we started the pie at a high temperature and then dropped it down to finish cooking. Our crust was perfect, but the filling left something to be desired. A last-minute addition of cream yielded a welcome custardy transformation to the filling. This also made the filling looser; a problem easily solved by adding extra egg yolks.

To finish off our Pecan Pie recipe, we found toasting the nuts before they went into the pie gave them enough crunch and flavor to hold their own in the filling.

Serves 8 to 10

Regular or mild molasses tastes best in this pie. Use your favorite pie dough or our Single Crust Pie Dough recipe.
Ingredients

1 cup maple syrup
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon molasses
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon Salt
6 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups toasted and chopped pecans
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell (see note), chilled in pie plate for 30 minutes

Instructions

1. Make Filling: Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Heat sugar, syrup, cream, and molasses in saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes. Whisk butter and salt into syrup mixture until combined. Whisk in egg yolks until incorporated.

2. Bake Pie: Scatter pecans in pie shell. Carefully pour filling over. Place pie in hot oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Bake until filling is set and center jiggles slightly when pie is gently shaken, 45 to 60 minutes. Cool pie on rack for 1 hour, then refrigerate until set, about 3 hours and up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Hawkgirl posted:

Did you do this part? Because your post in the pie or die thread leads me to believe that you took it out of the oven and dug in. If so, that is your problem!

Yup, left it on the counter for an hour, then it lived in the fridge until that evening.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

If you HAVE to make a meat loaf out of fatty beef, you can make it free-form on a cookie sheet (with a piece of parchment under it). This will let the fat render out a drain away from the loaf.

This is what I have done, but I have a small flat roasting rack that I set the smallish piece of parchment paper on, then set the loaf on it. This way the fat runs off and into the pan under, and not all over the meat itself. I tend to use leaner meat, and also egg, oatmeal, mustard etc so it is usually very dense to begin with. I almost never have issues with it falling apart.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Sjurygg posted:

Chicken soup is method, not really recipe. Cut up some suitable veggies - carrots, onions, leek, garlic, celeriac, fennel, celery and parsley are all good, bring to boil with carcass, turn down heat and simmer for a couple of hours. Seasonings that are good include bay leaf, thyme, black pepper and clove spikes or allspice berries (go easy!). Like dumplings in there? Stir together some flour, salt, eggs and maybe baking powder to an almost fluid but just firm dough and place gently with wet spoons on top of simmering soup. Toss in noodles of choice as applicable. Check for seasoning. If it's "missing" something, try a few drops of vinegar or lemon juice.

I usually do my stock in my crockpot...nothing fancy or anything, just 4 celery stalks with leaves, 3 carrots, a fuckton of chicken bones and feet, 2-3 tbsps apple cider vinegar, and onions. (I get chicken feet from the Asian market near us. They are marketed as chicken paws!!! Makes me laugh every time!) Then I add maybe about 3-3.5 qts of water then let it cook for 12-24 hours on low, and add any salt needed. Then strain out the solids, then you portion it, and freeze. I get a lovely bowl of chicken jello goodness and its so fantastic! Better than anything I can get at the store :)

And according to what my grandma told me years ago...the vinegar in the water helps leach out the calcium and minerals etc from the bones of the bird so that its in the liquid, and therefore much better for us to absorb. Who am I to argue with her?

The question I have is the bay leaves, allspice berries etc...I assume they are for after cooking the stock? Or, are they for adding to the stock while it is being made? I love the idea of the allspice, or star anise etc...just not sure when I would add them.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I just inherited a relatively new (2-3 years old maybe, hardly used) Cuisinart electric pressure cooker. It has the little instruction booklet etc, but other than that I am a complete newbie at this and have not the faintest idea what to do with it. Personally, I have never even used one before.

This seems to be the same model, or at least pretty close... http://smile.amazon.com/Cuisinart-C...and+Matte+Black

I was told it was bought from Costco if that helps any.

Any recommendations on good trusted cookbooks or websites to get info on learning to make the most of it? I did some preliminary searching, but seems a lot of the recipes out there are for the standard stove top one and not electric.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

You know...I did a search and must have passed right over it. Thank you for the link!

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Goddamn now I want baked apples.

Same here...I will probably make some this weekend since I have a craving for them now.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Found an airtight jar filled with what is labeled as buttermilk powder in my mom's fridge. No idea how old it is either. When I asked her she said she doesn't remember buying it, but my dad said its been in the fridge for at least a couple of years. No signs of mold or anything like that are visible, and it doesn't seem to be caked or clumped.

Now that she saw it, she wants to use it in making buttermilk bread "so it doesn't get wasted"

Is the powder still good? Or should I just dispose of it and not bother trying to let her use it in some baking recipes?

EDIT: NM...I went ahead and made her dump it out and I will get her fresh stuff tomorrow. Better safe than sorry imho.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 9, 2014

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Welp, went to doctor today and due to some nice new health concerns, I am on a low carb type diet starting tomorrow.

Makes me want to go ugh. But anyway, I digress. I stopped off today and got a bunch of groceries,medications, as well as a bunch of different greens to cook up over the next few days. I saw there was a good selection of dark leafy greens and other veg at the market so I picked up a variety of them to try. I am sorry to say that I have never eaten kale or a lot of the leafy greens like that other than in a salad or like kale chips.

Any tips on cooking them and any special ways to make them yummy? I am sitting here looking at it and it is not very forthcoming with help.

Low carb or not I don't care...I can always improvise with what ideas you have.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Thanks for the ideas...yeah that last one not low carb but I can change it out for celeriac probably I would think.

They both sound great thank you :)

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

geetee posted:

Where can I get pork that looks like this?

Almost positive I saw some looking rather close to that at our Costco.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I am in the process of working our way through the freezer, and I came across a 4-5 lb beef pot roast. It was vacuum-sealed and still looks good, so I was going to cook it up for us.

Any good recipes for making one? I'm looking for something tried and true from you goons...so any ideas would be good.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Leper Residue posted:

Cabbage was like 39 cents a pound and I impulse bought a head of it for like a dollar. I have no idea what to do with this stuff. I was thinking of making Miso soup, and one recipe has chard in it. Would cabbage be an ok substitute?

If not, what the hell do I do with this cabbage that isn't cole slaw, since mayonnaise is freaking disgusting, and mayo plus sugar is even grosser.

God I am soooo late on reply here, so sorry but what I love to do with my cabbage is shred it, then saute it with onions and garlic in coconut oil or bacon grease, add a pinch of salt/pepper/dried parsley to taste and cook it till tender. It cooks down fast, and is filling, and tastes great. You can even go a little healthy if you want by subbing it for noodles for spaghetti.

This is basically what I do for St Paddy Day to go with my corned beef... I bake a clove-studded corned beef with a mustard/brown sugar glaze and serve it with the sauteed cabbage/onion on the side. Its really tasty, and its easy to boot.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 16, 2014

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

reflex posted:

Chicken salad with a chopped apple in it is awesome. Would chicken salad with a chopped apple and a couple chopped hard boiled eggs also be awesome? It seems like a weird combo to me and I don't know if it would work out.

I like dried cranberries or golden raisins in mine....its great!

And eggs would be good too I think :) You could just make your salad and pull a little out with some egg just to try it too. That way you don't kill the whole thing if its not what you were hoping for.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 18, 2014

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Carrots are a heckuvalot better if they're a good variety instead of bulkbag market carrots. They're sweeter and not as woody/fibrous.

A lot of veg is really good just lightly steamed or blanched. Broccoli for one. I don't care for it raw but a quick blanch and it's delicious. Just a touch of salt. So good. Sugar snap peas and snow peas from the market are sad but if you get a chance to try some fresh off the vine its an eye opener. Same with tomatoes.

Agreed. Also, roasted is good. I have not really found a veg yet that has not been devoured by my veggie hating relatives once it was roasted with coconut oil and a little salt and pepper. Amazing....so yummy!!

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I can't find the post atm, but over the weekend or Monday I saw someone recommending Alton Brown's dry brine for the turkey. I was a bit dubious but tried it, since I usually wet brine it. I like AB though, and figured he hasn't led me wrong before, and if you all like doing it this way there must be something to it.

I spatchcocked the bird, and saved the backbone, and then used the dry brine on Monday. I took it out on Thursday. My god, was that the best turkey we have ever had. We had a heritage turkey, and with that dry brine it was amazing.

This is now my new go-to turkey recipe. Thank you GBS :)

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
So, quick question for you all regarding ham and split peas in a slow cooker.

The recipe I have used forever is really good, at least we like it. You put in the split peas (dry), then the smoked ham hocks/hambones etc, carrots and celery, onion, then add chicken stock, and bay leaves. I don't add salt because there is more than enough in the ham bits. Put it on low for 6-8 hours till the peas are soft, then take out the ham bones and take any meat left on them off, and throw back in the pot with the peas, then squash them up a little to thicken it.

This recipe here http://www.closetcooking.com/2008/01/split-pea-soup.html is pretty close to what we do in my family.

Now the question I have is why does it look so brown when I make it? It is so yummy tasting but looks awful to the eye. Is there a different way I should do this to keep it from getting that color? It's never a nice looking color, and I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

posh spaz posted:

It does make a nice gold color in stock though.

That's what I was told by my grandma when it came to making stock. Onions are for flavor, onion skins are for color.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Got a pie question.

I made an apple pie , actually, made them about 7 times now. The issue I seem to have is with the crust. Its a double crust (non latticed) pie, and when I take it out of the oven, the apples dropped down, and there seems to be a rather large air pocket between the filling and the crust. Mind you, the pie tastes great, its just I am trying to figure out why this happens and how to make it not happen.

For the sake of trying, each pie I did something different to see if it would fix this. I adjusted the size of the pie slits on the top, and even added more apple, and then tried to press the crust down before cooking so it was really flat on the filling.

Any hints for a piemaker in training?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Your crust is setting before the apples are fully softened. There's a couple of ways you could attack it. I cook my apples a bit in a pan to soften them before they go in the pie. That eliminates the air pockets and consequently it doesn't really settle at all, just reduces slightly from loss of moisture. Alternatively, you could probably lower the temperature you bake it at so the crust doesn't set as quickly, allowing it to fall as the apples settle.

edit: I assume your top crust has cut outs or lots of slits so steam can escape and not just puff up the crust. If not, then do that.

Thank you for the help...I will make another one probably next week and try doing it this way and see if that helps, Sounds like you may have hit on the issue though!! As for the slits in the top crust, yes, there were large ones per the book I used http://smile.amazon.com/Pastry-Bibl...+and+cake+bible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
My husband and in-laws are all British.

Mushy peas, when we have had them there are different than minty peas. Mushy peas are marrow peas, and you can find it usually in a tin. It's not hard to make them from scratch, but most people I know over there just open a tin of mushy peas and there you go. Its similar to refried beans in texture but the color is green. I rather like them myself.

Minty peas however, in my experience, have been fresh cooked peas with either fresh or dried mint sprinkled over them, or mint sauce sprinkled liberally. The stuff I have had with them there is really good...I love the minty peas and prefer them to the mushy. Mushy peas do go well with certain items however, like pies.

I had a lot of minty peas served with typical Sunday dinners....lamb roasts and beef roasts.