Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

internet celebrity posted:

Hey guys, looking for some advice. I'm moving to another state this weekend and I have three carboys full of delicious sour beer. What do you think is the best way to move them? I know they're going to be shaken up a bit, there's really nothing I can do about that. I'm thinking about getting solid stoppers for all of them to prevent any chance of air getting sucked in. Good idea? Other thoughts?

I moved a few weeks ago, and I used a solid stopper and I did tape it down. It was fine. If you go that route, just poke at it every few days to release any pressure that may have built up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Bear in mind that if it's in a passenger area, you've technically got a mighty big open container violation going on. Drive careful.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 27, 2014

Vykuza
Jul 19, 2005

... like a lizard drinking.

McSpergin posted:

You're shittin' me!! Will do. I was actually just today thinking about putting a new order through for some of your Yeast Bay blends and a couple WLP vials for the next few brews!

I'll put him through Monday, so that we avoid potentially having those poor little yeasts sitting in transit over the weekend.

The last lot got in within 3 days which was good, they're very healthy!

I poo poo you not! Got your order thanks. I spoke with Anthony about a discount code for your brew club, I don't know if that got through. I'll email it to you so you can use it on your next order (and share with your brew club!)

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Hey guys, looking for some advice. I'm moving to another state this weekend and I have three carboys full of delicious sour beer. What do you think is the best way to move them? I know they're going to be shaken up a bit, there's really nothing I can do about that. I'm thinking about getting solid stoppers for all of them to prevent any chance of air getting sucked in. Good idea? Other thoughts?

iirc milk crates fit around glass and plastic carboys.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

A few months ago, I transferred some sours from friend's house over to mine. We flushed some kegs with CO2, racked into them, then pressurized them. Once we got to my house, we racked into new containers. We didn't have any problem with them.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Why can't you move with a regular 3-piece airlock in there?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I actually try to use a solid stopper any time I move my carboys. Suckback is annoying.

eviltastic posted:

Bear in mind that if it's in a passenger area, you've technically got a mighty big open container violation going on. Drive careful.

This is a good point - I kept mine in the trunk (of a hatchback), but I was also moving about 3 blocks. I was also glad to have one of those carboy handles:

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

ChickenArise posted:

I actually try to use a solid stopper any time I move my carboys. Suckback is annoying.

This is a good point - I kept mine in the trunk (of a hatchback), but I was also moving about 3 blocks. I was also glad to have one of those carboy handles:

it should be said: those are NOT for carrying the load, but for balance, you are supposed to hold it from the bottom.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jacobey000 posted:

it should be said: those are NOT for carrying the load, but for balance, you are supposed to hold it from the bottom.

Yeah if you picked up a full carboy using one of those and the neck didn't snap off then you got very lucky.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up getting some solid universal bungs and cutting a small slit with a razor so off- gassing wouldn't be an issue. I taped them in place too for good measure.

They'll be traveling in my girlfriends car but I seriously doubt there would be an issue with breaking open container laws. None of the places that fill growler around here seal them. I mean, I know technically a dick cop could say something but the risk seems extremely low.

Edit :

Glottis posted:

Why can't you move with a regular 3-piece airlock in there?

I just worry about something bumping into it and knocking it out or temp changes or something causing air to get sucked in. Probably overkill but these beers are about to hit the one year mark so I want to prevent as many possible incidents as I can.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 28, 2014

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Oh, sorry officer, this isn't beer. It's the first step in my home business of making artisanal malt vinegars.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Oh, sorry officer, this isn't beer. It's the first step in my home business of making artisanal malt vinegars.

Yeast samples my darling... Yeast samples.

EDIT: About to go shopping for an ESB, thoughts on 3 gal batch?
5.5# MO
1.25# Rye MAlt
.5# Flaked Rye
.25# Chocolate (color and maybe a bit of roasty)

1oz Northern brewer @ 60
.5 oz Amarillo @5
.5 oz Amarillo @1

US-05

Double Edit: Shopping in a couple hours so timely responses please. :v:

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 28, 2014

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Quick check: is this an infection, or just weird hop oils and bubbles or whatever?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Noxville posted:

Quick check: is this an infection, or just weird hop oils and bubbles or whatever?

Looks fine. Does it smell like rancid garbage?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

ChickenArise posted:

Looks fine. Does it smell like rancid garbage?

Thankfully not. My last-but-one batch got infected and smelled awful so I was hoping this wasn't going the same way. It's in secondary now anyway so I guess I'll just wait and see.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Looks like yeast rafts to me.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Too early to tell if it's an infection. More than likely just yeast rafts.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Noxville posted:

lookin good, most of my beers finish looking like that

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Vykuza posted:

I poo poo you not! Got your order thanks. I spoke with Anthony about a discount code for your brew club, I don't know if that got through. I'll email it to you so you can use it on your next order (and share with your brew club!)

Hahah rad. Yeah, he got pissed at me for posting a direct link to the store in our local Facebook page, he had mentioned something about trying to sort it out weeks ago but until the other day I didn't realise he did. Hahaha. All good now though, but yeah it's good to know. I run a 3d printing business so mainly I'll be buying from you direct if I have paypal money spare, haha. But thanks for delaying the postage too. Last thing I want is for them to sit all weekend!

Any recommendations on the Beersel Brett blend? I am thinking just something like a lambic but all bretted up, and dumping any sour beer dregs into it to really make things happen with it and yeah. Super bug-ify one fermenter permanently.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

So I did 1 week dryhop, and was going to bottle tomorrow so dryhopped my triple/double IPA today aswell to give it a fresh hop boost. Discovered its at 1.020 when I took a sample :negative: So I've thrown in some more yeast because I think my yeast starter wasn't strong enough. Those last 10poiints though, think if I leave it another week, take sample first to see if its gone down any more then dry hop the day before again if its got where I want it and stopped fermenting for a triple dry hop it will be ok? It tastes pretty great but drat its sweet and I really don't ever want a bottle bomb again. I worry a bit the yeast / ferment may completely gently caress up the aroma so a third dry hop should fix that?

For reference it was brewed on 2nd August (20 days ago), OG was 1.085 yeast strain was White Lab San Diego Super Yeast and a 1liter starter for 5 gallon batch (I really need to get my hand on a 3-5liter flask sometime).

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

Check again in a couple days, see if it's moved at all. 1.020 from 1.085 isn't that bad, honestly. Which program said it'd be 1.010?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Jacobey000 posted:

Check again in a couple days, see if it's moved at all. 1.020 from 1.085 isn't that bad, honestly. Which program said it'd be 1.010?

Beersmith2, since I did a 66c (150.8f) 90 minute mash and added 1kg of sugar (for 40liters [10.56 US gallon], OG 1.100 @ 75% but I ended up with 49liters with OG 1.085 so 77.8% effiency). I split them in half and fermented one with Whitelab San Diego Super Yeast (which had a starter made, only 1 liter though, my 2liter flask broke :smith:), other half Wyeast Thames Valley + Yeast Bay Brussels Brettanomyces. Yeah I'll check on it on Monday to see if it budged. :)

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Fluo posted:

Beersmith2, since I did a 66c (150.8f) 90 minute mash and added 1kg of sugar (for 40liters [10.56 US gallon], OG 1.100 @ 75% but I ended up with 49liters with OG 1.085 so 77.8% effiency). I split them in half and fermented one with Whitelab San Diego Super Yeast (which had a starter made, only 1 liter though, my 2liter flask broke :smith:), other half Wyeast Thames Valley + Yeast Bay Brussels Brettanomyces. Yeah I'll check on it on Monday to see if it budged. :)

Unfortunately I doubt it'll budge much if at all. You only pitched 50% of the yeast you needed going by the brewers friend yeast calculator, and pitching extra won't do much. You have to realise that your beer is now a hostile environment to yeast - high in alcohol and devoid of nutrients, it's a bit much to expect any sach yeast you throw in there to do much of anything.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Is there a preferred program for building and sharing recipes? I was messing around with brewersfiend and brewtoad and the same exact recipe came out with different OG and FG values. And when I brewed it the wort ended up being about .005 higher than the highest estimate. I'd prefer to work with something that's going to give me as close to real as possible.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Is there a preferred program for building and sharing recipes? I was messing around with brewersfiend and brewtoad and the same exact recipe came out with different OG and FG values. And when I brewed it the wort ended up being about .005 higher than the highest estimate. I'd prefer to work with something that's going to give me as close to real as possible.

I like beersmith because it has the cloud feature - maybe there's somewhere to create a goon brewers recipe database?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Seems to me that its 100% impossible to ever calculate the precise, exact result you'll get (at least as a home brewer) because we are dealing with agricultural products and variation is going to happen.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HatfulOfHollow posted:

In the last page or so we're starting to realize that the Brewtoad FG values are likely not being calculated correctly, at least when it comes to beers with lactose. I might just plop down and pay for Beersmith 2.

Also an update on my toasted oatmeal milk stout that was stuck at 1.030. I checked it again last night before moving to the secondary and it barely movied. Maybe 1.029 now. I moved it over and started the cold crash. I'll let it sit there for a couple days to settle out then keg it. It's a touch sweet, but not to a ridiculous amount. I think all of the toasted notes in it help balance that out a bit. I'm glad I upped the bitter hops a bit too, I think the original 30 IBU's I had would have been a problem with this high of an FG.

1.020 on a high OG IPA is not bad though. Unless it's cloyingly sweet, I'd just call it done and move forward.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

rockcity posted:

In the last page or so we're starting to realize that the Brewtoad FG values are likely not being calculated correctly, at least when it comes to beers with lactose.

FWIW, the same issue occurred at some point in the past with BeerSmith, based on what I have seen around the Web. It's probably been fixed by now, though.

BTW, I turned in a bug report on the lactose thing in Brewtoad. We'll see if they get back to me on it.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 29, 2014

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

rockcity posted:

Also an update on my toasted oatmeal milk stout that was stuck at 1.030. I checked it again last night before moving to the secondary and it barely movied. Maybe 1.029 now. I moved it over and started the cold crash. I'll let it sit there for a couple days to settle out then keg it. It's a touch sweet, but not to a ridiculous amount. I think all of the toasted notes in it help balance that out a bit. I'm glad I upped the bitter hops a bit too, I think the original 30 IBU's I had would have been a problem with this high of an FG.

When I made Internet Celebs Russian stout, It finished at 1.032 and all the roasted barley and hops made it taste more liek a 1.012 beer. It's crazy how relative all those final numbers are to the actual recipe.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

rockcity posted:

1.020 on a high OG IPA is not bad though. Unless it's cloyingly sweet, I'd just call it done and move forward.

Yeah I agree with this. Once it's carbed up and dry hopped it'll be totally fine.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Jo3sh posted:

BTW, I turned in a bug report on the lactose thing in Brewtoad. We'll see if they get back to me on it.

Well, that's disappointing:

quote:

As it turns out, this is a known issue. Brewtoad doesn't take into account the fermentability of any ingredient, not just lactose. The problem is that, unlike gravity, fermentability can't be as precisely measured. How a malt is mashed and what yeast is being used affects fermentability. Lactose is a bit of an exception, because it is, generally, unfermentable under normal circumstances and that exception isn't reflected in the code. It would be nice to tackle fermentability someday, but it will be a significant feature to develop.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Jo3sh posted:

So they don't consider the difference between, say, malt sugars and simple sugars? So it's going to calculate a 1.050 OG "wort" of only table sugar to attenuate down to 1.012 or so, and not sub-1?

That's terrible.

edit: seems Brewer's Friend does the same thing. 6 lbs of dextrose at 1.050, it predicts 1.013 FG. Awful.

I can understand not taking into account mash temps (maybe just go for an average based on a 152-ish mash or something), but not accounting for the relative fermentability of ingredients seems really silly.

edit2: seems BeerSmith does handle this right. Same 6 lbs of dextrose at 1.050, 0.998 FG (and a warning that it's low for an American Amber Ale)

more falafel please fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 29, 2014

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

Seriously? It would be like two lines of code to make it calculate no fermentation for lactose. That's ridiculous. Guess I'll be moving to something else. Anyone have any other recommendations aside from Beersmith 2?

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

rockcity posted:

Seriously? It would be like two lines of code to make it calculate no fermentation for lactose. That's ridiculous. Guess I'll be moving to something else. Anyone have any other recommendations aside from Beersmith 2?

Beersmith is where it's at.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Jo3sh posted:

FWIW, the same issue occurred at some point in the past with BeerSmith, based on what I have seen around the Web. It's probably been fixed by now, though.

I pulled up a Stout in Beersmith 2. (OG/FG predicted)
With No Lactose: 1.068/1.018
With 1lb Lactose: 1.074/1.016
If I change the 'type' of the 1lb lactose to 'adjunct' (leaving 'yield' alone): 1.073/1.019
If I change the 'type' to 'sugar' and toggle the box for 'not fermentable': 1.074/1.024

I don't like milk stouts, but it would be interesting for someone to brew a few batches and see what the optimal settings are.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

wildfire1 posted:

Beersmith is where it's at.

Is the UI less terrible? And how easy is it to keep and share recipes online? I thought that there was a "cloud" feature, but that it was pretty limited without additional cost (5 recipes or something).

ChickenArise posted:

If I change the 'type' to 'sugar' and toggle the box for 'not fermentable': 1.074/1.024

I think that's the right one, based on my noodling around.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 29, 2014

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Jo3sh posted:

Is the UI less terrible? And how easy is it to keep and share recipes online? I thought that there was a "cloud" feature, but that it was pretty limited without additional cost (5 recipes or something).

It's not really less terrible and you are correct about the 'cloud' iirc, but we could probably make some sort of plugin or dump something onto a dropbox.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

So I'm using cacao nibs in a recipe--used 1oz in the mash, 1oz in the boil, and plan on aging on some as well.

My samples didn't really have any cocoa flavor that I was looking for, but most of my reading suggests that you get near 100% utilization in the mash and boil. Are my amounts super low or what?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I just saw the question I submitted pop up in a Q&A with Dr. White of White Labs, over on Homebrewfinds:

quote:

Q 14. You sell ~100 billion cells per package. These packages include instructions indicating they are directly pitchable into 5 gallons of wort up to ~1.060. However, every brewer of any experience seems to accept as gospel that yeast starters are required for nearly any batch – Jamil Z.’s online calculator claims that 100 billion cells are barely enough for 5 gallons at 1.034, for example. Why, then, has White Labs not marketed a package of 200 or 250 billion cells for homebrew use? This would allow homebrewers to brew beers in the meat of the homebrewing space – say 1.050 – 1.075 – without the trouble of making starters for every batch.

A. We are actually increasing the number of cells per package to 2.5 to 3 billion cells per ml. And laboratory grown yeast won’t necessarily follow the pitching rate guidelines since they are very healthy. The pitching rate recommendations traditionally refer to re-pitched yeast. Also, you are not getting a lot of growth from a starter unless it is an adequate size.

Is it just me, or did he just say that Jamil's online calculator is wrong for homebrew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Jo3sh posted:

I just saw the question I submitted pop up in a Q&A with Dr. White of White Labs, over on Homebrewfinds:

Is it just me, or did he just say that Jamil's online calculator is wrong for homebrew?

My takeaway from that was Chris saying "his calculator doesn't address freshly-purchased, viable yeast that's never been pitched." And, it's been a while since I've used Jamil's calculator, but IIRC there's a variable in there for estimated viability of your supplied yeast factoring into your starter size. Chris is stating that for WL yeast packages, the calculator's not going to be accurate.

I'll still use a starter & servomyces, but it's awesome they're addressing that issue.