Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I've never had a problem pitching White Labs vials without a starter and almost all of my brews are above 1.050. I only ever really made starters for the Belgians or yeast that I've harvested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I didn't realize until I read it in this thread that the real problem with under pitching isn't that it won't ferment but that the yeast will stress out and throw esters. I've never had a problem with single wyeast/white labs pitches really, but in retrospect there's been minor but still undesirable flavors that I've always attributed to high fermentation temperature, but likely was just underpitched yeast.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
For contrast, overpitching can make bland beer.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I personally do a starter for every beer I do if I'm using liquid yeasts. I'm pretty fussy though too lol. I had a belgian that needed something like 600 billion cells, so I had to do a 2 stage for it. It's hot as poo poo at the moment, really alcoholic but should hopefully die down in the next few weeks.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Jo3sh posted:

*immediately regrets pitching a full wpl vial into a gallon test batch*

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Jo3sh posted:

It's one reason I stopped using yeast starter calculators . The times I used it, I would get 0 esters in any of my British yeast strains and it kind of pissed me off haha. :(
Just felt like I was always over pitching and generally you get a feel for what you want anyway it was just a matter of literally not having anything bigger than 1liter flask - the 2liter was used for the other half of the batch and my second one broke. :(

I have however ordered a 5liter and a 3 liter one on amazon! :toot:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 30, 2014

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Seems to me that its 100% impossible to ever calculate the precise, exact result you'll get (at least as a home brewer) because we are dealing with agricultural products and variation is going to happen.

As long as you know your equipment and use the software properly you can get really close. I'm within .04 of my target OG on pretty much every batch and hit within .02 probably 90% of the time. This is using brewtoad. I think the problems most people have are not knowing their actual efficiency and not ending with the correct volume of wort. If your final volume is off your OG will obviously be different.

There's a lot of variables for sure but they're all within your realm of control if you want them to be. I crush my own grain, I have all my vessels marked at the volumes I need, I grow appropriate amounts of yeast and I have a repeatable process when I brew. Don't halfass things, stay sober enough to know what you're doing and you shouldn't have a problem hitting your numbers.

Vykuza
Jul 19, 2005

... like a lizard drinking.

McSpergin posted:

Hahah rad. Yeah, he got pissed at me for posting a direct link to the store in our local Facebook page, he had mentioned something about trying to sort it out weeks ago but until the other day I didn't realise he did. Hahaha. All good now though, but yeah it's good to know. I run a 3d printing business so mainly I'll be buying from you direct if I have paypal money spare, haha. But thanks for delaying the postage too. Last thing I want is for them to sit all weekend!

Any recommendations on the Beersel Brett blend? I am thinking just something like a lambic but all bretted up, and dumping any sour beer dregs into it to really make things happen with it and yeah. Super bug-ify one fermenter permanently.

I've got a beersel beer going in the back of the warehouse at the moment. I did a basic rye ale, 85% voyager schooner malt, 10% rye and 5% sugar. Fermented it with WLP001 for a neutral base then pitch the beersel as a secondary. Smells great, but I'll be giving it another month or so before I start tasting it to consider kegging or bottling.

If you want to go trad lambic style, grab the brussels blend, some lacto delbrueckii and some pedio and leave it for a year throwing in dregs of whatever you can find. Should be a killer.

Or even perk up WLP670 American Farmhouse with the brussels blend (my next project).

So many brews, so little fermenter space.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Vykuza posted:

I've got a beersel beer going in the back of the warehouse at the moment. I did a basic rye ale, 85% voyager schooner malt, 10% rye and 5% sugar. Fermented it with WLP001 for a neutral base then pitch the beersel as a secondary. Smells great, but I'll be giving it another month or so before I start tasting it to consider kegging or bottling.

If you want to go trad lambic style, grab the brussels blend, some lacto delbrueckii and some pedio and leave it for a year throwing in dregs of whatever you can find. Should be a killer.

Or even perk up WLP670 American Farmhouse with the brussels blend (my next project).

So many brews, so little fermenter space.

I can't remember which Lacto I grabbed off you, but it's going into my berliner weisse. 1 week just on lacto, a week on WY1007 the german ale yeast, and then brett brux for a few months. Basically once the brett takes over, it'll go aside into a cooler part of the house and just sit and do its' thing. Temp control only for the actual yeast.

I have a plan with the brett mix though, I'm thinking a flanders red or the like with it

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Anyone have any advice for other grains?
We have about 2kg of spelt malt, and can get torrified buckwheat, job's tears, millet, barley, black rice, wheat, and i might be able to ask the old guys at the market to pop some amaranth or quinoa for me.

The buckwheat and spelt seem most promising. Would be looking at saisons now for them.

Working on a BIAB dubbel or quad, would maybe use cascara or dried hawthorn in one of them. Or omija/schizandra berries. I have access to all the 'mysteries of the Orient' but trying not to get too crazy.

Possibly to brew a dubbed from second runnings of a quad? Our last BIAB 'partigyle' was weird but we also didn't do our unmalted wheat well.

DontAskKant fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 31, 2014

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

First brewday in way too long today. Things went nicely, and boy, am I looking forward to drinking the beer. It's my house pale ale recipe, with the hops goosed up a bit. It should be good and quaffable. I'll turn this around into kegs in a week and a half or so, and brew again around the second week of September (classwork load permitting).

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I'm about to put on a monster Conan starter for my next Heady Topper clone brew. Based around the Reddit clone recipe I found, regardless of whether it's close or not it's a fuckin good beer.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So I brewed my first batch of beer today and only now did it occur to me that SA would probably have a home brew thread. Workmate of mine gifted me all his brewing stuff a while back and I'm finally getting around to using it. A buddy of mine who does a lot of home brewing was staying with us this weekend so our wives took the kids to a movie today while we made beer. It's nothing cosmic, I picked up a Brewer's Best kit yesterday from my local store, Irish Stout to be exact. Everything went pretty smoothly today so I'm excited to taste this in a few weeks.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Hrm, just kegged the rest of my Belgian Amber I was raving about a few pages back, and noticed some foamy funk on top in the carboy. Kegged it anyway and there's a distinct vinegar flavor. :smith:

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Jo3sh posted:

First brewday in way too long today. Things went nicely, and boy, am I looking forward to drinking the beer. It's my house pale ale recipe, with the hops goosed up a bit. It should be good and quaffable. I'll turn this around into kegs in a week and a half or so, and brew again around the second week of September (classwork load permitting).

Brew partner was doing he boil by himself last time - we are ending up with a session ipa instead. I kind of like the little changes that make for something wholly new.

Reminds me of how my yeast selection for the second solera: homebrew guy "we dont have 670" me: "well, gently caress it - whateagot?" Ended up with oud bruin and lambic blends b/c gently caress it, this whole thing is an adventure anyway.

dis

also: you have a pretty interesting forced creativity - in that your beers will almost always have a tilt to the absurd, sounds like real adventure brewing.

Josh Wow posted:

know your equipment... Don't halfass things, stay sober enough to know what you're doing

this should be in large bold font in the op

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure that every innovation in the field of brewing in the last 10,000 years happened because someone was brewing while drunk.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Jacobey000 posted:

also: you have a pretty interesting forced creativity - in that your beers will almost always have a tilt to the absurd, sounds like real adventure brewing.

We can get a lot of stuff in Korea now, we order our bulk base malts sort of grey market and then just spend the $5 or 6 for 500g of specialty malt. We did a lot of malt focused beers last year because hops are expensive here. Though I found a way to get cheap hops (sales and reshippers) and now I have maybe 20lbs of hops.

It's frustrating actually because we can only really bottle in 1L plastic bottles and my brew partner and I live like an hour apart by public transit so tiny brews feel like a waste of time. And we are spoiled for choice of new weird stuff, but there's little documentation of it, guess that's what I should be doing.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

withak posted:

I'm pretty sure that every innovation in the field of brewing in the last 10,000 years happened because someone was brewing while drunk.

that's how my raging bitch clone turned into a session belgian IPA.

Got into the beers, didn't realise my grain mill was half closed, broke it :( it was only a cheap corona though.

My new rig is a proper malt muncher :getin:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

vulturesrow posted:

So I brewed my first batch of beer today and only now did it occur to me that SA would probably have a home brew thread. Workmate of mine gifted me all his brewing stuff a while back and I'm finally getting around to using it. A buddy of mine who does a lot of home brewing was staying with us this weekend so our wives took the kids to a movie today while we made beer. It's nothing cosmic, I picked up a Brewer's Best kit yesterday from my local store, Irish Stout to be exact. Everything went pretty smoothly today so I'm excited to taste this in a few weeks.

Please tell me you guys also like to smell the gas coming out of the bubbler. That's normal, right? In all seriousness it does smell really good and I can't wait to taste it.

Question, what process do you guys use to repurpose bottles? I have 21 fliptop style bottles but obviously don't have enough for an entire 5gal batch. I am currently working my through a 12 pack sampler that my buddy brought to me from Lazy Magnolia brewery and their bottles are nice, solid brown bottles. So I need to clean and "de-label" those bottles, whats the best way of doing so?

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Soak 'em in OxiClean. Some labels will just fall off, some will peel off, and some you will have to scrub and will leave you with a mess of soggy gluey paper. Rinse well.

Good luck. "How easily will I be able to re-use this bottle" has become a factor in my beer-buying decisions.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Please tell me you guys also like to smell the gas coming out of the bubbler. That's normal, right?

One of the things I love is when I go out to the garage and can faintly smell the ferment, even though it's closed in a refrigerator. Then I open the door to check on the fermneters, and a wave of yeasty, hoppy, malty aroma rolls out.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Heating my sparge water starting at 7pm. The quest...Pitch by 10:30 (stove top 3 gallon batch, no wort chiller).

Haven't made beer in like 3 months and i'm pumped about making this brown ale.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

Please tell me you guys also like to smell the gas coming out of the bubbler. That's normal, right? In all seriousness it does smell really good and I can't wait to taste it.

Question, what process do you guys use to repurpose bottles? I have 21 fliptop style bottles but obviously don't have enough for an entire 5gal batch. I am currently working my through a 12 pack sampler that my buddy brought to me from Lazy Magnolia brewery and their bottles are nice, solid brown bottles. So I need to clean and "de-label" those bottles, whats the best way of doing so?

Only when it's an ale. Lager/wheat yeasts I've used have a tendency to throw off sulfur, even when slightly overpitched. The biggest culprit IMO was the Forbidden Fruit yeast from Wyeast, close second to the Pilsner Urquell. I love the sour fermentation smell like brett with a bit of pedio or lacto thrown in

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

McSpergin posted:

Only when it's an ale. Lager/wheat yeasts I've used have a tendency to throw off sulfur, even when slightly overpitched. The biggest culprit IMO was the Forbidden Fruit yeast from Wyeast, close second to the Pilsner Urquell. I love the sour fermentation smell like brett with a bit of pedio or lacto thrown in

My Hoegaarden clone currently smells like lemons, so we'll see where that goes I guess...

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

vulturesrow posted:

A nice long soak in PBW/Oxiclean Free will cause most labels to just fall right off. Or if you want to do a bit of collecting I recommend the bottles from Deschutes brewery because (1) They are filled with awesome beer, (2) They are nice heavyweight longnecks, (3) The labels will peel right off in just a hot water soak.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Has anyone tried using Super Yeast X-press before to make a super big brew?

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

AAB posted:

Has anyone tried using Super Yeast X-press before to make a super big brew?

It's distillers yeast, it's not going to make a nice tasting beer.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Eh, may break into doing a 1 gal test batch and trying it out anyways with like some s-33 dry yeast + the super yeast. It's gonna get over pitched but its proof of concept now.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

toe knee hand posted:

My Hoegaarden clone currently smells like lemons, so we'll see where that goes I guess...

mine smelt just like sulfur for weeks, then it settled down and smelt really honey-ish. Turned out to be a decent beer. Nothing worth writing home about.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I can safely carbonate a beer in a growler, right?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I can safely carbonate a beer in a growler, right?
A typical growler can withstand 2.5 volumes of CO2 but I still wouldn't carb in a glass one. You can get bottles that are meant to be pressure vessels in nearly any size.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

A friendly reminder of what happens if you don't sanitize (not mine but a friend linked me it).

http://imgur.com/a/cQA5o

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
gross.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think if you have a big crack in your lid then it doesn't matter how well you sanitized.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Oh god, I saw that thread earlier. The dude was actually debating drinking it and "racking around the bugs" to salvage it...

Thankfully someone was a voice of reason:

quote:

But for gently caress's sake. Don't just dump it down the drain. Take the whole goddamn fermenter, lid (however lovely the lid must be), everything and throw it in the trash.
Now go look yourself in the mirror. Say "Self, do I have a drinking problem? I was just considering drinking beer that is a veritable nursery for maggots, what life decisions lead me to this place. This dark, dark place."

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Really! This rivals the hot dog beer thread on hbt. :barf:

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

How about the "wife's ashes" beer thread?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
:stare:

that is loving disgusting if it is an actual thing

Fluo
May 25, 2007

withak posted:

I think if you have a big crack in your lid then it doesn't matter how well you sanitized.

Yeah pretty much. But god drat. :barf:

Jo3sh posted:

:wtc: Go on...... :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

I didn't hear about that one, but it honestly doesn't surprise me. There was an episode of the TV show "My Strange Addiction" where a woman was eating her dead husband's ashes. She'd lick her fingers and dip them in the ashes and then lick the ashes off. The only reason she was contemplating stopping was because she was almost out.