Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I've always added the caraway seeds and juniper berries to my kraut when I pack the salted cabbage into the crock. I mix it with the salt. Not sure how it would affect the flavor of your kraut if you add the caraway after fermenting. Kraut continues to ferment in the fridge, just at a much slower rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Maybe put the caraway in a little muslin pouch while you ferment? You should get the flavor that way, without the chance of biting into a stray seed.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Maybe put the caraway in a little muslin pouch while you ferment? You should get the flavor that way, without the chance of biting into a stray seed.

I'm not sure if it's the seeds themselves or the flavor that bothers her. Or why it's ok in some things but not others. I think I'm just gonna do most of it plain, and ferment a jar or 2 with seeds. Hopefully I'll be able to convert her. I did finally teach her to enjoy hoppy beers (to a point), so who knows?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Caraway is like cilantro - you don't learn to like it. It's always unwelcome, even when you know it's necessary.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

coyo7e posted:

Caraway is like cilantro - you don't learn to like it. It's always unwelcome, even when you know it's necessary.

I agree that caraway is like cilantro, because they're both amazing pretty much everywhere you can use them. The more, the better.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I agree that caraway is like cilantro, because they're both amazing pretty much everywhere you can use them. The more, the better.
I feel the same about garlic, doesn't mean you're right.

For real though if you put the carway in a pouch it'll probably work fine because the biting into the seeds is the flavor explosion that is :psypop: :barf:. I'm mystified how one could like rye bread and hate caraway but then again rye bread is such a clusterfuck of overlapping flavors it's probably just being subsumed.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Has anyone tried using recipes from the Ball Blue Book Guide To Preserving?

I tried the plum preserve recipe from it and it wound up way too sweet for me. I made pepper jelly from the back of the Ball 4oz jar box, and I'm wondering if I should expect it to be way too sweet as well. Does everything from Ball wind up crazy-sweet?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

That Old Ganon posted:

Has anyone tried using recipes from the Ball Blue Book Guide To Preserving?

I tried the plum preserve recipe from it and it wound up way too sweet for me. I made pepper jelly from the back of the Ball 4oz jar box, and I'm wondering if I should expect it to be way too sweet as well. Does everything from Ball wind up crazy-sweet?

Most of the Blue Book recipes are classic jams, meaning they use a shitton of sugar for preservation. There is a range you can safely be in, but it varies by fruit (and also if you're using pectin). Just search for low sugar recipes next time if that's your personal preference. I know Ball has low sugar recipes too. If you're using pectin, try some of the low/no sugar stuff and corresponding recipes.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
my pickled garlic turned blue. Is it deadly, or will I survive? (I ate it anyways). TIA.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Ranter posted:

my pickled garlic turned blue. Is it deadly, or will I survive? (I ate it anyways). TIA.

Acid causes anthocyanin in garlic to turn blue. It's harmless, just a bit unpleasant looking.

e: also, the sulfate compounds in garlic apparently will react to trace amounts of copper to turn turquoise! Something I learned while trying to confirm how to spell "anthocyanin."

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yes I am still alive.

Also, I don't know how I came up with this notion but I thought pickling chilies would tame their heat. I was very very wrong on this. My pickled Thai birdseyes are still extremely potent.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Ranter posted:

Yes I am still alive.

Also, I don't know how I came up with this notion but I thought pickling chilies would tame their heat. I was very very wrong on this. My pickled Thai birdseyes are still extremely potent.

The pickling liquid is awesome for dressings / seasoning / marinades.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ranter posted:

Did you use de-iodized salt? Distilled water and pickling or kosher salt ought to help with that I believe. It could be copper in the water, or in the garlic depending on the soil.

It won't hurt anything, it's kind of like using alum to maintain crispness, it's nice sometimes but usually not much of a difference that matters.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

coyo7e posted:

Did you use de-iodized salt? Distilled water and pickling or kosher salt ought to help with that I believe. It could be copper in the water, or in the garlic depending on the soil.

It won't hurt anything, it's kind of like using alum to maintain crispness, it's nice sometimes but usually not much of a difference that matters.

I used pickling salt.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Ranter posted:

I used pickling salt.

I've had the blue garlic happen in some of my pickles, using tap water and pickling salt. It doesn't affect anything, just looks weird.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Holy poo poo, home made dill pickles are loving amazing. So crunchy, so much tastier than store bought. I just did a lazy refrigerator pickle in 1cup:1cup:2tbsp water:vinegar:salt brine and threw in a bunch of fresh dill.

Lazy fridge pickling is awesome.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Joe Friday, I would like to try two of your recipes, but I have a couple questions before starting.

For the corn cob jelly, how long would I process if I wanted to put it in pint-sized jars? The same question applies to the satsuma whiskey marmalade you posted on the second page.

Additionally, how many jars will the satsuma whiskey marmalade yield?

Joe Friday
Oct 16, 2007

Just the facts, ma'am.

That Old Ganon posted:

Joe Friday, I would like to try two of your recipes, but I have a couple questions before starting.

For the corn cob jelly, how long would I process if I wanted to put it in pint-sized jars? The same question applies to the satsuma whiskey marmalade you posted on the second page.

Additionally, how many jars will the satsuma whiskey marmalade yield?

Sorry about my late reply to this. I have been traveling.

You can process the jars for the same amount of time for both cup and pint for both those recipes. If I remember correctly, the whiskey satsuma marmalade is really low yield, and you can expect 2 pint jars or 4 cup jars as a result, give or take a jar. The recipe doesn't use water and is very dense with peel, but so good! I would also make sure to test the softness of the peels after one boiling session. I've had rind that required 2-3 boilings to get it soft enough.

--------------------

As a note, I have long neglected this thread. The OP needs some serious updating and users in these pages have given me corrections and updates I have not folded into the main post. Would it be best to close this thread and start a new one? Is it useful to have a canning megathread or are specific projects like jelly, or pickles, or whatnot better for users?

Deep 13
Sep 6, 2007
"Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's WORK OUT"
I like the megathread form, thanks for your work maintaining it.

Content: I'm a week into making a gallon of sauerkraut now and the fermentation is going great. My first batch was a quart, I want to get a giant crock for next time.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Joe Friday posted:

You can process the jars for the same amount of time for both cup and pint for both those recipes. If I remember correctly, the whiskey satsuma marmalade is really low yield, and you can expect 2 pint jars or 4 cup jars as a result, give or take a jar. The recipe doesn't use water and is very dense with peel, but so good! I would also make sure to test the softness of the peels after one boiling session. I've had rind that required 2-3 boilings to get it soft enough.

--------------------

As a note, I have long neglected this thread. The OP needs some serious updating and users in these pages have given me corrections and updates I have not folded into the main post. Would it be best to close this thread and start a new one? Is it useful to have a canning megathread or are specific projects like jelly, or pickles, or whatnot better for users?

Megathreads like this one are cool, but can be a bit intimidating when they're super long with thousands of replies, especially for newbies. I'd recommend updating the OP and folding in all corrections and whatnot you've received thus far, and creating a new thread.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
This thread is only 17 pages. Leave it open. If it was line 50 pages I could see a need to consolidate but not at 17.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

coyo7e posted:

Disagree, I learned to like both but not until I was 40.

Ranter posted:

Yes I am still alive.

They will get tamer over the course of the next year.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Joe Friday posted:

Thanks!

I went ahead and made it, but haven't actually tried it, yet. It looks like it set despite a mishap with the pectin. I also made the corn cob jelly, but didn't take into account the sweetness of the corn. I used white instead of yellow, and I think it would've benefited from less sugar.

Speaking of pectin, does anyone have any brand preferences? I've been using Ball, and tried out Pomona recently. The latter led to some shenanigans with the pectin clumping because I missed the part where it said to THOROUGHLY mix the pectin with the sugar.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I have deer heart in brine, hopefully ready to eat by Christmas. This weekend I am going to make venison summer sausage.

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
Anyone know of recipes for canned pickled beets that don't end up with them being sweet, ie having tons of sugar? I'd love to find one that incorporated Indian spices, my farmers market has a stand that has masala pickled beets.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Time Trial posted:

Anyone know of recipes for canned pickled beets that don't end up with them being sweet, ie having tons of sugar? I'd love to find one that incorporated Indian spices, my farmers market has a stand that has masala pickled beets.

Here's an option with traditional pickling spices & no added sugar: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/pickled-golden-beets-recipe.html Perhaps you could sub a garam masala blend in for the pickling spice blend.

Or spicy beets? http://www.puttingupwitherin.com/2014/01/14/kickin-pickled-beets/

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Say, I wanted to make some onion confit to gift with foie gras terrine and duck rillettes. I settled for this one, and while it doesn't specifically mention anything about canning, I opted to can the results. I processed it for a little over 10 minutes as per this recipe. The seals all formed properly.

But I'm a bit concerned -- I've only ever canned fruit jams and chutneys before. This onion jam, in comparison, ended up with very little liquid -- not enough to form a uniform blob of onion and liquid. There are some gaps in the jam, basically the same texture as in the recipe's picture. I wonder if these are air bubbles or could potentially be dangerous? Should I treat this as having a much shorter shelf life than pectin and sugar heavy fruit jams?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The pickled deer heart was a hit at a party over the weekend. So much so I was offered two more deer hearts sitting in my stepmom's freezer.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Has anyone in this thread tried making a fermented pepper mash, or fermented hot peppers in general? Trying to make some as a precursor to hot sauce, but after being sealed up in a jar since Saturday I've noticed zero fermentation and a nice little ring of white residue along the top of the liquid. Recipe said it should have started to fizz after a day or two (and that any mold should be harmless but gently caress taking that risk) and as I've never intentionally fermented anything before I'm at a loss as to what went wrong.

To get to this stage, I aged some fresno peppers for a couple of days by leaving them sitting out, stemmed them and cut them in half, then partially mashed them with 1/4 cup pickling salt. Said peppers then went into a jar with 1 cup water, which I boiled and cooled beforehand to sanitize it. They said to initially seal the jar loosely so the initial gases could escape, but should I just seal it tightly from the get-go? The recipe also said to age the peppers by sitting them out in the sun for a day or two until they got soft and wrinkly, but that's not an option for where I live so I just heated them a couple times a day at the lowest temp my over could manage until they got soft and wrinkly.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
A bloke did a write up for seriouseats, experimenting with different ingredients for making his own sriracha which is fermented. Top Google result for home made sriracha.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
If you boil the jar, you kill the microbes that cause fermentation. You don't need to boil it, fermentation out competes the bad stuff.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ranter posted:

A bloke did a write up for seriouseats, experimenting with different ingredients for making his own sriracha which is fermented. Top Google result for home made sriracha.

That's similar to the recipe I have in mind but I'm going for more of a neutral fermented mash, as I want to use this in some other stuff besides sriacha. The author also said that he had tried fermenting with stuff like garlic but that it left weird off-notes after a while. Also he had been advised to ferment/pickle them whole and then mash them to cut down on mold but this ended up moldy anyway so ???

taqueso posted:

If you boil the jar, you kill the microbes that cause fermentation. You don't need to boil it, fermentation out competes the bad stuff.

I didn't do this, but I did rinse the jar with hot water and a bit of vinegar in an effort to sanitize it. TBH I wanted to get a brand new jar to try this but couldn't find anyone selling jars with two-piece lids. Any idea where I can get them?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

C-Euro posted:

I didn't do this, but I did rinse the jar with hot water and a bit of vinegar in an effort to sanitize it. TBH I wanted to get a brand new jar to try this but couldn't find anyone selling jars with two-piece lids. Any idea where I can get them?
Any canning jars should have two-piece lids. You can get them from Amazon, for instance.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

C-Euro posted:

Oh ok, I misread and thought you boiled the whole thing not just the water. I've only fermented a couple times, but it went nice and easy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Pepper mash update: Poured out the chiles and brine, seeded it and blended it all up and it doesn't look or taste terrible? Kind of looks like that sriacha you posted Ranter. There was a thin white residue at the top of water level in the jar that came off in a single wipe, I think I'll let the mash sit in the fridge for a few days to make sure it doesn't come back before using it (the recipe claims it should keep for several months due to fermentation, but since I never noticed any fermentation)

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Any canning jars should have two-piece lids. You can get them from Amazon, for instance.

I was more hoping to just buy one or two to make sure I could get this to work, if I like it enough then I'd buy jars in bulk. Are there any brick & mortar retailers that sell these anymore?

E: Or just the two-piece lids? The glass jar itself is OK but the rubber seal on the lid did look kind of thin, maybe that's why it never fermented?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 8, 2016

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

C-Euro posted:

I was more hoping to just buy one or two to make sure I could get this to work, if I like it enough then I'd buy jars in bulk. Are there any brick & mortar retailers that sell these anymore?
Many local grocery stores sell them, around me at least (Vons has them for instance).

C-Euro posted:

E: Or just the two-piece lids? The glass jar itself is OK but the rubber seal on the lid did look kind of thin, maybe that's why it never fermented?
If you know what size jar you have you can typically find the lids for sale, on the Internet if not in real life. Just Google it. You shouldn't need the jar to be airtight for it to ferment, though (I think).

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
If you're going to ferment something in a totally air-tight container, you at least want some sort of airlock, or burp the jar a few times a day (unless you want exploding jars of hot pepper mash). Air tightness isn't required for fermentation (thought it cuts down on the possibility of spoilage or oxidation or whatever), but having fermentables that haven't been irradiated would probably help more, if your peppers were zapped on the way to the store you bought them from.

C-Euro I'm not sure where you're posting from, but at least in the US, unless it's labelled organic or grown in the US, it's most likely been irradiated and most of the bugs that do the fermentation have been killed on the way to get the produce to the store (not to mention it's not pepper season for most of the US as far as I'm aware). No amount of pseudo-prep to match what the book told you about will help if the bugs that do the work were toast to begin with. If you had some other lacto-fermented brine you could spike it with (kraut, kimchi, pickles, etc) that would probably get it going. If you're somewhere else and peppers are in season try to get something you know hasn't been shipped in a manner that would irradiate the produce, or go with something from a local farmer's market or something.

ETA: Wherever you are, if you can get some veggie that you know was grown locally or organically, you can probably chop it up and throw it in a 3-4% salt:water brine (by weight) and see how the lacto-fermentation process works over several days to a week (or more). It's also somewhat light sensitive - either wrap a towel around the jar or put it in a dark place. Room temp also plays a factor, warmer temps are generally more active than cooler.

dedian fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 8, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Many local grocery stores sell them, around me at least (Vons has them for instance).

As does mine apparently, I was just looking in the wrong aisle.

dedian posted:

If you're going to ferment something in a totally air-tight container, you at least want some sort of airlock, or burp the jar a few times a day (unless you want exploding jars of hot pepper mash). Air tightness isn't required for fermentation (thought it cuts down on the possibility of spoilage or oxidation or whatever), but having fermentables that haven't been irradiated would probably help more, if your peppers were zapped on the way to the store you bought them from.

C-Euro I'm not sure where you're posting from, but at least in the US, unless it's labelled organic or grown in the US, it's most likely been irradiated and most of the bugs that do the fermentation have been killed on the way to get the produce to the store (not to mention it's not pepper season for most of the US as far as I'm aware). No amount of pseudo-prep to match what the book told you about will help if the bugs that do the work were toast to begin with. If you had some other lacto-fermented brine you could spike it with (kraut, kimchi, pickles, etc) that would probably get it going. If you're somewhere else and peppers are in season try to get something you know hasn't been shipped in a manner that would irradiate the produce, or go with something from a local farmer's market or something.

Hm, makes sense. The recipe said to re-open the jar every so often to add water to keep the peppers submerged but yes I'm pretty sure the peppers I used were from outside the country. I really wanted red jalapenos and later recalled that I had seen them once at a farmer's market in town, I'll have to make an effort to go back and track them down.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

C-Euro posted:

As does mine apparently, I was just looking in the wrong aisle.

Hm, makes sense. The recipe said to re-open the jar every so often to add water to keep the peppers submerged but yes I'm pretty sure the peppers I used were from outside the country. I really wanted red jalapenos and later recalled that I had seen them once at a farmer's market in town, I'll have to make an effort to go back and track them down.

Not to sure if you would want to do this as it could throw off your solution percentage. Depending on the size of the jar you are using you could fill a ziplock bag with some water to weigh down the peppers and keep them submerged. Someone in here or the Hot Sauce thread recommended that. Worked pretty well the last time I tried it. Just waiting on all my peppers to start producing this year so I can get some more going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Quick question about the canning jar lids--I've used the jars for general storage before but never done longterm canning with them. Do I need to get new lids or should the seal still work ok?