Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Crazyeyes posted:

So my blueberry jam never set anyway. I am starting to think it is not meant to be :(

Shakes, sundaes, pancake topping, cheesecake topping... Really I find more uses for blueberry liquidy jam than set jam I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Peach jam that didn't set became peach ice cream topping or peach yogurt really quick. If you want, you can add some gelatin to your blueberry jam, or just save it for pancakes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
To be honest, most of my jam is destined to be used as yoghurt flavoring anyway. Lime curd also works amazingly well for that.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I scored on probably $50 worth of lemons for $3. yassssss

Gonna do the Ball strawberry lemonade concentrate recipe for sure I think, because why not. Anyone have any favorite ways of preserving a million lemons?

edit: oh look at that, my photo is giant and sideways somehow. Uhh sorry

Definitely make salt-preserved lemons. Super easy to make, super delicious, and they can go in basically any dish.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Fill the thing with water and put it on the stove on high. Does it cycle on and off once it's boiling? If not then you're fine. Also, the pot should have a completely flat bottom.

All electric stoves cycle. Coil stoves cycle too. It's allowed to cycle. The question is if it reaches and holds a boil (which everything but really lovely slumlord-grade electric stoves should).

A good stove will be designed such that the burner maintains a relatively even temperature across cycles. A lovely stove will boil, stop, boil, stop. Or, if we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel, never boil to begin with.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

What about cyclic pressure cookers?

I mean the manufacturer says no, but how much of that is liability vs reality?

Instant Pot posted:

Instant Pot can be used for boiling-water canning. However, Instant Pot has not been tested for food safety in pressure canning by USDA. Due to the fact that programs in Instant Pot IP-CSG, IP-LUX and IP-DUO series are regulated by a pressure sensor instead of a thermometer, the elevation of your location may affect the actual cooking temperature.

Why doesn’t Instant Pot operate at 15psi?

The choice of a lower working pressure in Instant Pot is a trade-off of function and cost. The pressure cooker industry safety standard ANSI/UL-136 has a stress test case which requires no leaking at 5 times the working pressure. For 15psi cookers, this is 75psi; for 11.6psi Instant Pot, this is 58psi. The differences in material and construction are huge. We could build an Instant Pot that operates at 15psi, but not at under $150 level. It would be more like $300~500 level and our research indicates that most people are not willing to buy in that price range.

On the other hand, operating at 10.15~11.6 psi only results in 7~15% increase in cooking time, i.e. about 3 more minutes in a 30 minute cooking. With the set-and-forget convenience, the extra cooking is more than tolerable. Furthermore, thanks to the air-insulated housing, maintaining pressure for the extra time consumes very little electricity. Our study shows that Instant Pot uses less than half of electricity comparing with a stove-top on a electric range, taking the same length of time.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Dogfish posted:

Definitely make salt-preserved lemons. Super easy to make, super delicious, and they can go in basically any dish.

I just made these!

I am a total newbie to pickling but I did cucumber, lemon, eggplant with garlic and mint, okra, and fennel with orange tonight.

PICKLED ALL THE THINGS. I am particularly excited about the lemons.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
So was in my pantry and found this

Note the discoloration at the top of the sauce. The seal appears fine and I can't see any growth or anything inside. Anyone seen this before? I'm assuming spoiled but want to confirm.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Crazyeyes posted:

So was in my pantry and found this

Note the discoloration at the top of the sauce. The seal appears fine and I can't see any growth or anything inside. Anyone seen this before? I'm assuming spoiled but want to confirm.

Probably just oxidation; I've seen that happen in jams before. Residual oxygen will work its way to the headspace of the jar and eventually discolor the contents. The large headspace in that jar means there's lots of leftover atmosphere after the canning process (after all, the canning process doesn't remove all the gas), which exacerbates this. In itself it shouldn't make the food unsafe to eat.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For sauerkraut, is it ok as long as the cabbage is in an anaerobic environment? I made a home-made airlocked fermenter with a mason jar lid and a rubber stopper. It seems to seal pretty well, but I made the mistake of putting a bit too much cabbage in. The cabbage bulked up quite a bit from gasses and pushed some liquid up the central airlock tube (3-piece airlock) so now the cabbage isn't really immersed in liquid. Should it be fine to keep it how it is since it's air-free?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
as long as it's not moldy it should be fine. I'll probably mold though unless you weight it down.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just want to tell everyone about the green tomato pickles I've been fermenting for the last couple weeks. I decided they were firm enough today and started eating them Absolutely wonderful!
Just slice up some green tomatoes, crack a couple pieces of garlic, a couple bay leaves, and a couple cloves to go in the jar. Massage some (non-iodized) salt in with your tomatoes and fill up the jar with dechlorinated water. I love these so much!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Ah, I neglected my nukadoko pickling bed and have to start fresh. Did anyone in here ever try it based on the guide I posted... what was that, last year? I still super recommend it, it's awesome. If you keep your house around upper 60s in the winter, you can get a good one going right now. (Just like sourdough and other ferments, though, it'll either be a slow start or none at all if your house is very cold.)

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Just brined what will be some delicious deer heart.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Just brined what will be some delicious deer heart.

:swoon:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I took home an enormous amount of grapefruit from my parents since they have a tree, but I don't really like eating the stuff and don't think I'll be able to find people to give away all of these to (two full plastic grocery bags of fruit, probably at least 30 of them). Is grapefruit jam something that can be done? The closest thing to it I've ever made was apple butter but I didn't can any of that, so I'm not very familiar with the process

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Fullhouse posted:

I took home an enormous amount of grapefruit from my parents since they have a tree, but I don't really like eating the stuff and don't think I'll be able to find people to give away all of these to (two full plastic grocery bags of fruit, probably at least 30 of them). Is grapefruit jam something that can be done? The closest thing to it I've ever made was apple butter but I didn't can any of that, so I'm not very familiar with the process

Grapefruit marmalade is more likely, which is very tasty. You can also combine it with lemon and orange for three-fruit marmalade, the Paddington classic. Kumquat season is coming up, and that also makes a wonderful marmalade that I suspect would be delicious with grapefruits.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

You can also combine it with lemon and orange for three-fruit marmalade, the Paddington classic.

I did also get a few lemons while I was there, so maybe I'll try this, it sounds tasty

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Anybody have a good recipe for pickleback brine that doesn't require making actual pickles?

I keep coming up close, but so far they all taste too much like cheap vinegar.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

porkface posted:

Anybody have a good recipe for pickleback brine that doesn't require making actual pickles?

I keep coming up close, but so far they all taste too much like cheap vinegar.

Just follow a recipe for garlic dills and omit the cukes. The big difference though is that pickles generally sit for months before eating, during which time the brine mellows out.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah I've always felt that a key part of brine being good, is that it was actually used to brine something, which in turn imparted some flavor back.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The cucumbers would also be diluting the brine a little with their water, correct?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ranter posted:

The cucumbers would also be diluting the brine a little with their water, correct?

You usually soak the cukes in a separate, salt-saturated brine prior to jarring them, to remove as much water from them as possible.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I don't think there was enough water in the jars...

Are these beans still edible?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I probably wouldn't. :gonk:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I probably wouldn't. :gonk:

Guess I'm having a lot of red beans and rice in the near future...

used two cans for some chili tonight. They were fine. Pressure canner doesn't mess around. I just don't know how well they will keep long-term without liquid.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hey folks. This seems like the most appropriate thread for it. Any recommendations for good websites for buying seeds? Got a nice old greenhouse that I'm just finishing up with the repairs and I'd might as well use the drat thing. :v:

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I have always had good luck with Seedsavers.com - huge variety of things, and I find it helpful they point out the potential strengths/uses of things. (Sauce tomatoes, good bean for soups, etc).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Bogart posted:

Hey folks. This seems like the most appropriate thread for it. Any recommendations for good websites for buying seeds? Got a nice old greenhouse that I'm just finishing up with the repairs and I'd might as well use the drat thing. :v:

You might have better luck asking about seeds in the gardening thread in DIY/Hobbies rather than the cooking/pickling thread..... https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Bogart posted:

Seconding seed savers. Johnny's selected seeds is also good. are you looking for anything in particular?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

anybody here grow their own pickling cucumbers? I'm totally lost what kinda seeds i should buy but i get the impression i should probably be planting them in a month or two. i make fermented pickles in halves and quarters, depending on their size, if that makes a difference.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Make sure to check your planting zone before planting them. Frost will kill the plants.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Ah, I neglected my nukadoko pickling bed and have to start fresh. Did anyone in here ever try it based on the guide I posted... what was that, last year? I still super recommend it, it's awesome. If you keep your house around upper 60s in the winter, you can get a good one going right now. (Just like sourdough and other ferments, though, it'll either be a slow start or none at all if your house is very cold.)

So this is from forever ago, but yes, I just started one a few days ago! Indoor temps have been pretty steadily in the lower 70s (F) for the last couple weeks, and our local farmers market just started up again this month. Every Friday morning I just take a stroll around the corner, and I'm right there. Gonna buy so many veggies this summer and pickle them all. :cool:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Bees on Wheat posted:

So this is from forever ago, but yes, I just started one a few days ago! Indoor temps have been pretty steadily in the lower 70s (F) for the last couple weeks, and our local farmers market just started up again this month. Every Friday morning I just take a stroll around the corner, and I'm right there. Gonna buy so many veggies this summer and pickle them all. :cool:

Yay! I'm glad of it. :3:

Japansuper.com sells nuka starter and rice bran now. I've ordered from them in the past and they seem alright.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Yeah, I just ordered some rice bran off Amazon. I tried a few different stores around here and none of them had anything, which was surprising for yuppie central. I guess if I had gone to the real Safeway (and not the tiny "neighborhood market" down the street) I might have found some. Or Nijiya, but I wasn't going to Japantown just for this. Besides, this Prime poo poo has got to pay for itself eventually..

Right now for starter veggies I have some carrots, daikon, and cabbage going, all from the farmer's market. I even threw the daikon greens in there just for the hell of it. :3:

Every time I change out the veggies I try a little bite to see if the flavor has changed at all, and every time the goddamn carrots get me. The first nibble is like hey, this isn't so bad. Still too salty and not really pickled, but it's OH GOD WAIT THERE'S THE SALT :barf:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, while I'm waiting for the right flavor to develop in the nukamiso, I usually use veggie scraps and trimmings. Nothing wilted or spoiled, just things like broccoli leaves and collard stems and carrot ends. That way I don't feel annoyed when a tasty looking veg tricks me with the ole salt gotcha.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Unfortunately I didn't have anything on hand to toss in there because it had been a while since I bought fresh produce. The stuff I picked up at the farmer's market was cheap enough that I didn't mind using it to start the nukamiso, and I figured maybe local produce will have some nice local germs on it to really get this thing going. People get real serious about sourdough starters here, I don't see why I can't do the same for my pickles.

Good news, though! After two weeks things are actually starting to taste like pickles. Still too salty to eat straight out of the crock, but there's a nice tangy flavor to everything. Soaking the proto-pickles in a bowl of cold, clean water helps reduce the salt enough to make things palatable, though. I think I'm going to get some noodles and make stir-fry.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
You can always add a bit more bran and water if need be. Don't be afraid to make adjustments. Stirfried pickled greens are awesome by the way! Radish and turnip tops take pretty well to it.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I think tomorrow I'll have a good chance to make my first market visit of the year; my expectation will be that strawberries will be the best jamming candidate I'll see but I'm excited just to see what there is. I'm hoping to make a lot more jam this summer than last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

I tried to make blueberry and orange jam but it just didn't set at all. Only thing I can think is that I boiled it too hot, is that a thing? Instead of small bubbles and scum I got big bubbles. I jarred it anyway and stuck it in the fridge, but i'm not holding out much hope. Has anyone had much success reboiling jam with liquid pectin?