Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Visiting family in rural Tennessee, making apple butter in a century old brass kettle over a wood fire.

The canning bit comes later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Bet that tastes amazing.

It depends on how much micromanaging my one cousin (er, 1st cousin once removed I think?) does.

He is diabetic, so he protests if we add "too much" sugar, and he also does this weird poo poo with the cinnamon where he takes whole cinnamon sticks and crushes them into little pieces and puts them in.

Cinnamon doesn't soften at all, so you end up with these sharp chunks. Nobody knows why he does it, but he brooks no argument.

So it ends up being more of a social activity and a chance to see family I rarely get to spend time with, and the actual apple butter is secondary.

But sometimes it turns out well!

E:

Jarring time!

Annath fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 30, 2021

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
It's that time of year again!

Fresh, locally sourced apples, ready to go for homemade apple butter!

I think I've posted a few pics in prior years, but we're doing it again!

Annath fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 29, 2022

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
On my way to Old Appalachia (well, technically west of the mountains, but just as rural) for the yearly apple butter event.

Looking at about 7 bushels of apples, aiming for 1.5 gallons per bushel.

Maybe this year we can convince my great uncle not to ruin it with his absurd policy on cinnamon. He takes whole cinnamon sticks, smashes them with a hammer into chunks, and tosses them into the vat.

He also refuses to put enough sugar in, insisting that "the apples' natural sugar is plenty", which results in way less caramelization, so the apple butter is basically somewhat darker applesauce lmao.

But it's more about visiting the last bit of family I have left out there anyway.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Soul Dentist posted:

Jammin' - My great uncle's absurd cinnamon policy

:perfect: