Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Thanks for this. I guess I need to invest in a thermometer or at least try the cold plate/spoon method. Thankfully it does make a really nice pancake topping.

If it doesn't work well for pancakes, I had a blood orange marm that came out kind of soft, using that poo poo as a base with some white wine to braise a piece of pork is godly. Just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Loose jams are also great in cocktails :eng101:

That is genius!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

I have never done anything like this before but I am super tempted right now :D does it have to be a slow cooker or could you do it in the oven, maybe in a roasting tin?

I sear my meat first and cover it about halfway in a stock pot with my braising liquid. Set it on low and let it go for like 6 hours.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Thanks! I'm pretty new to cooking at a non basic level, this seems like a fun thing to do for sunday lunch.

You're totally welcome! Just remember to flip the meat every couple of hours!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

The ones I remember from childhood were bizarrely great. They had cloves and other spices that I can't quite recall now.

Eventually I'll give up on finding a recipe and I will destroy many pounds of peaches before finding a way to recreate this fading memory.

They were hella good on ice cream.

Have you thought about doing them as refrigerator pickles? I'd think they'd work fine as long as you used a variety that is generally good for canning (flame crest or another hard-when-ripe peach)

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Crusty Nutsack posted:

There's a ton of results when you google "pickled peach canning"???? Here's the third result, which seems reputable: http://gapeaches.org/recipes/preparing-pickled-peaches/

Read this url as "gape aches." Almost peed from laughing.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Gonna be picking pounds upon pounds of cherries this week. I have two recipes for spirited cherries in which it seems the only difference is the use of Kirsch or Brandy. Has anybody played around with these? Is one superior to the other for spiriting cherries?

E: I will take that as a no.

I might try both and let you guys know.

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 20, 2017

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Just canned up some candied jalepenos. Have to wait two weeks for the flavor to mellow before I can try them. It's been a day and I'm already sweating and glancing in the direction of my pantry every 5 seconds.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I like to count how many jars of jam I have. I'm currently at nearly 30, which I'm hoping will be enough to last the winter. :v:

How many folks eating it? It's just me and my wife and we found that two dozen half-pints get us through until winter. Then we start making marmalade to get us through until summer.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
If anyone is interested I also have a cherry conserve recipe that uses cocoa!

E: Well, gently caress it. Here it is anyway. This is a freaking delicious recipe.

Ingredients:
4 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3 1/2 cup chopped sweet cherries
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 pouches liquid pectin (3oz pouches)
1/3 cup flaked coconut
4 tbsp cherry brandy

Stuff you have to do
1.Get all your stuff prepped and sterile
2.In a medium bowl combine the sugar and cocoa powder
3.In a big saucepan combine the cherries, lemon juice and cocoa/sugar mix. Over high heat, stirring constantly, bring to a hard boil. Stir in the pectin. Keep boiling hard and stirring for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add coconut and booze. Mix well them scoop of the foam.
4. Ladle it into jars with 1/4" headspace.
5. Process 10 minutes

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 11, 2017

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

mobby_6kl posted:

Recipe? I was just about to try to can my jalapenos for the first time so it'd be great to start with a goon-proven method!

So this is the recipe I used:
http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/09/candied-jalapenos-cowboy-candy/

The only bit of extra advice I can offer is this; It is really hard to get ringed jalapeņos to pack tightly into a jar. Godspeed, goon.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
So I opened my first jar of those candied jalapeņos. Oh sweet MECHA-GOD they are delicious! The wife and I ate a whole can with some crackers and goat cheese. I think I am in love. These are going to be a yearly recipe for us.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Looks lovely! Is that one of the pickl-it jars?

Merry Christmas picklers and jammers!

I believe the phrase is "Have a Jammin' Get it? X-mas."

But only if you're an insufferable douche.

Like me.

HAVE A JAMMIN' CHRISTMAS!!!!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Ranter posted:

Brining chicken.

Listen to this poster. Pro-tier.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Does anyone know of any resources that get into the science of canning and exactly what prevents the food from going bad? My understanding is basically that the hot water bath kills off most of the things that would normally grow in the food -- it's not quite sterile, but near enough. And then the food itself is made acidic and hygroscopic enough that botulinum spores can't grow, with the latter being done by boiling away excess moisture, and by adding sugar. I assume someone's done the research on exactly how acidity and quantity of sugar correlate with count of remaining botulinum spores, and I'd love to see the data.

The practical application of this is that I'd rather have tart, over-acidic jam than jam that has five freakin' pounds of sugar added to it, if such could be done safely. None of the recipes I see online ever call for what I'd consider to be a sane amount of sweetener in terms of flavor, but I don't know if that's because that's what's required to make the food safe, or if it's because they're targeting the average American palate.

If you have any friends with a food science and technology degree those would be the folks to ask.

Maybe look into a textbook.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I know this isn't specifically what you were talking about but maybe this would be a good start:

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/sites/default/files/documents/8836/sp50464analyzingpicklerecipes.pdf

Here in Oregon we have the OSU extension offices that have a bunch of this information and classes and such. Do you have any resources around you like that? Most agriculture schools have some kind of programs for home preserving and food science.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Thanks for the suggestion, seems worth checking out. The main takeaway from that PDF is they recommend at most as much water as there is vinegar, using at least 5% acid vinegar. In other words, you can't have a less than 2.5% acidic solution, for pickles. What that means in terms of pH I don't know.

Unfortunately, I'm in the SF Bay Area; I'm pretty sure there aren't any conveniently nearby ag schools. It's nothing but cities, suburbia, and water for an hour's drive in any direction.

OSU is pretty online-y as far as things go. I'd check out and see if they offer any of their food sci and tech extension courses online. They are an incredible school for this kind of poo poo and are seriously responsible for like 60% of the varietals grown in the PNW. Pretty cool joint for this stuff. Warning though, this is the kind of thing that would typically involve lab classes so online might be out in general.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

AnonSpore posted:

Okay, my second attempt didn't go as smoothly as the first. How soon do I have to reprocess these? Does reprocessing hurt the quality considering I'm exposing the insides to prolonged heat again?

Reprocessing is fine and they can sit for a about a week in the fridge before you reprocess. Quality wise you shouldn't have to worry since you're really not getting them much above 212F. Make sure you heat the mixture back up before you go to reprocess them. In the future consider using a candy thermometer on jams and jellies and such. It takes out a lot of the guess work for final consistency.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

AnonSpore posted:

Thanks for the tips. It wasn't the consistency, more that I neglected to wipe the rims of the jars so I thought they didn't seal properly. They did eventually seal though, just took a lot longer, and I'm hoping that was enough to do it.

They can take a while. The consistency thing was just because I noticed in another post you were talking about potentially over cooking your fruit so I figured I'd throw it out there. The thermometer is my dear and special friend.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Like Clockwork posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for pepper jelly recipes? I've read the thread but I'd like some goon-tested recipes before I go internet trawling when I don't know much about what the end result should look like.

This is the one we use, it's pretty dang good. Perhaps just a little on the sweet side but I mean, it is basically pure sugar so....

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
$1.14/# for strawberries at the market yesterday. Time to can up some jam!!! We've already eaten through all the cans we put up in June. Like 8 cans in a month. It's so freakin' good.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

drat, that's an amazing price. They're $10 for 3 baskets (maybe a couple pounds) here.

:stonklol:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Slanderer posted:

Does anyone have a good recipe that adds calcium chloride to the pickle brine for crisper pickles? I bought a bulk bag of food grade stuff last year, but I had to wing it, since there was competing info out there about the amount needed. The results came out pretty good, but I lost the marked up recipe printout that had the amount I used, so I have to start over lol

From The Ball book of Preservation:

3/4 tsp to a pint jar
1 1/2 tsp to a quart jar

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Always happy to help. So long as it only requires as much effort as opening a book that lives on my kitchen counter.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

When water bath canning, should the jars be submerged during either boiling step? Most recipes say to "cover in 1-2 inches of boiling water" before the food is added and after you put on the lids. Does this mean only put 1-2 inches of water in the pot or to actually fill the pot until the water line is 1-2 inches above the tops of the jars?

Above the top of the jars :)

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Apples are ready and the canning has begun. Also pulled out that currant juice and made up some jelly:

New apple sauce recipe this year and sweet god it's delicious.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
:boom:MORE APPLES PUT UP:boom:

Apple preserves with lemon and nutmeg!!!

The wife is currently making up a danish pastry dough. Breakfast is going to be double-super-boss.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Went out to the farm and picked up 40 lbs of romas:

The garden went nuts and I got pounds upon pounds of beans that I couldn't keep up with:

And so, I have been a little busy:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Friend posted:

I made my first pickles! They came out crunchy and pickled, but unfortunately I used this Serious eats recipe and they all taste like apple cider vinegar. Not overwhelmingly, but enough that I don't love them and I feel tricked.

Apple cider vinegar for pickles?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I have just always used the same recipe, like I think a lot of us do once we find one we like, so when I saw apple cider vinegar I was just baffled. I have only ever used white. But now I'm sitting here thinking I might try a new recipe next year.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

MockingQuantum posted:

I got my partner some fermentation lids for Christmas, the kind that just fit standard wide-mouth mason jars. She likes them a lot, and has been going pickle crazy, but she's kind of getting frustrated with the recipes she's finding and I'm wondering if someone in here could help with a few questions.

Namely, the recipes seem very "loose", as in, some just tell you to "submerge in brine" while others specify an amount of water and an amount of salt, some others specify salt but then just say "cover with water" but depending on whether or not she has to split the recipe between multiple jars, the amount of water required would change, which would change the proportions all around. So, how much does it matter? Is there a good rule of thumb for ratio of water/salt/ingredients, or does it vary by the ingredient?

And is there a good way to know when you should do a brine vs a dry salt pickling? And how does lactofermentation differ from brine pickling? She's got some recipes for each in the book that came with the lids but it doesn't at all explain the difference.

Basically I think she wants some reference info or a cheat sheet or a recipe book that gives her a little better base of knowledge, so she's able to just make up pickling recipes and at least be confident that it's going to taste reasonably good and not kill anybody.

It may be more simple than you're looking for but you can always check what the extension offices of your state's ag schools have. Here is the one from OSU: https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/sites/catalog/files/project/pdf/pnw355.pdf

Check out ones from other universities they might have more granular information!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Tom Smykowski posted:

I've been into fermenting things for awhile but quarantine boredom got me to finally try vinegar pickling and suddenly I have a million jars of pickles and picked jalapenos

Awwwwww yeah. SANDWICH PARTY AT TOM'S!!!!!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Marketmore cucumbers are a good choice for canning and they get sold in a lot of retail settings so they can be pretty easy to come by. But for cucumber pickles the real trick for texture is just buckling and using some pickle crisp. Brining first helps too but the pickle crisp is freakin' amazing.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Radish green pesto. Like, uh, maybe hazlenut and salty salty parm? That's usually how we put up all the leftover greens we have after pulling our plants at the end of the season. Just make a shitload of pesto and freeze it in useful increments.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

bengy81 posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but whatever, no mods no masters.

I have a few jars of blueberry "jam" that didn't really set up all the way, so they are thicker than a syrup but not thick enough to be a jam.
It still tastes pretty good, so I don't want to dump it, anybody have ideas on how use it?

My first thought was ice cream, would it be better as a late addition before freezinf (like a swirl) or mixed into the base?

My favorite thing to do with loose batches of jam is to use them in braising. Blueberry may be a little strange but I bet you could make a freakin' slammin' bbq sauce with it to do braised pork in.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

My go-to uses for loose jams like that are mixed into plain yogurt, and as a topping on pancakes / French toast, instead of using syrup.

:stare:

Oh HELLS YEAH!!!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Made some foraged red clover mint jelly:

(Only the clover was foraged, the mint is from my garden.)

I feel like the recipe used too much sugar (called for 4 cups for 2.5 cups of liquid), it's extremely sweet...like, even for a jelly. If I ever do it again, I'll try to go down to like 3 cups sugar, and hopefully it sets. It is VERY firm so I don't think a little less sugar would do much. I guess I could always add more pectin (?) but I don't think that would be needed.

:stare:

I grow red clover as a cover crop and feel like an f'n fool for never thinking of doing this.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I did not think to check facebook... That's a good idea.
Chasing down friends asking them to return jars is just not worth it. I usually say, bring me back an empty one and I'll give you a full one, but even then I still wind up giving out way more jars than I'll ever get back.

e; nevermind facebook was a terrible idea. People want more than what the grocery store charges. what?

Not sure where you're at, country-wise, but resale stores can kick-rear end for jars. Places like the Goodwill, St. Vincent De Paul, those kinds of stores. If you're in the northwest US GO TO BIMART!!!!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
On the same note as the poster above me has anyone canned salal berries??? Can I just use a blueberry recipe????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Salal help? Anyone?? I really can't find any reputable recipes and they are RIPE!! RIGHT NOW!!!! THEY MUST BE PICKED!!#!!!