Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
How about making syrups? I just picked a ton of blackberries and I think it's going to be way more jam that I'll ever need, even after giving away a bunch. These are Himalayan variety which grow like crazy all over the PNW and are on the seedy side. Can I just strain out the solids, and boil it with sugar? I don't want it to set at all, but I don't want it to be water like either, do you still use pectin? Looking on google, the recipes are all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
alright, cool. I think I will attempt to make some syrup then. Don't really think I'm going to add the spices though except maybe for the lemon.

I just tried my first ever batch of jam, wild blackberry, and it wasn't too great. At first there's a big hit of sourish blackberry flavor and then a really cane sugar taste. Like sucking on a sugar packet. Not sure what went wrong, maybe too much sugar? I used the low sugar recipe though. Maybe that container of berries just wasn't very ripe. I picked a ton and I'm sure some were sour still, so it could happen.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
so storing them upside down for a bit won't gently caress with the seal at all? My pickles are all floating too.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Haerc posted:

This is kind of late, but I made a bunch of blackberry jam this year the way I usually do it (strain the seeds from half the berries) and it seemed abnormally seedy. Anyone else?

I didn't strain the seeds on one of my batches and I'm regretting it. Way way too seedy, it's like crunchy jam. Don't really even like eating it. Next year I am definitely straining at least 75% for blackberries. They just have more seeds than most berries, and very hearty, woody seeds at that.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Joe Friday posted:

I made some whiskey satsuma marmalade and some meyer lemon marmalade tonight. It was great. I love winter canning so much!

Can you post the Whiskey Satsuma recipe?

also, what is some other stuff good for canning in the winter?

hbf fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
How long should opened, refrigerated jam last?

My blackberry and raspberry jam does not seem to be lasting a long time once opened. One, I opened in early october and last used maybe end of nov (got stuck behind something) and today I opened it and it was growing white mold. Another I have been using since October but a few weeks ago it started to smell like alcohol (fermenting?) so I discarded it. I thought it was a fluke but some jam I sent to my parents is doing the same thing.

They all had good seals when opened. Did I just not process long enough to kill everything?