Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Just fermented some garlic scapes. Had them out in a pint and a half mason jar with an airlock with some serrano peppers and a bit of red pepper flake. Brine still tastes a slightly salty but the pH is down to 3 so I moved them into the fridge. I'll see how they taste in another week. Nevermind, didn't even make it to the end of the post, pretty happy with my first try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Depends on where you live. For a couple weeks a year they sell the whole plant in some places.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

You want to use the plastic lids for freezing anyway. They aren't air tight for that reason.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I have about 1 in 50 uses crack like that from thermal shock. But I'm using them for freezing or fermenting only.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So I've been having good luck with fermentation, several batches of cucumber pickles and kraut have turned out good. I've been experimenting with adding a starter and not. I end up with that uniform kosher dill taste when I use a starter (I just used some liquid from a Britt's jar of pickles). With the starter sucess rates are 100%. Without the starter the final product is far less acidic, mild even, and the liquid much less cloudy. The taste corresponding to a PH diffence too on the test strips Sucessfully rates are about 50% without the starter, they're much more likely to get moldy. All the cukes have the same source a local farm csa. I'm inclined to just always go with the starter, it gives me the taste I'm looking for anyway.

Also if one is on the fence about fermentation, "submerge in brine you'll be fine" is really about it, it's not hard at all. Just get a good weight and a primary follower.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pickled green tomatoes are really good and are a good burger topping.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Something I just learned. If it's too hot like 78 or 80+, the brine can turn slimey. If you let it keep fermenting it'll thin back out. It also will thin back out in the fridge transfered from crock to jar. As long as the vegetables aren't slimey, then it's spoiled.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I don't think I'll ever want to do more than 10 lbs of cabbage into kraut. I just filled my crock. Hopefully it finishes before the pickling cukes I wasn't expecting to get go bad. I'll think they'll make it a week.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I buggered up the spices on my green tomatoes :( I made a poor substitution choice.

Going to ferment some spicy peppers next to blend up as a pepper sauce.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Got a number 1 crock for Christmas. Finally trying making some pepper sauce. Brine was 3/4 cup salt to one gallon water. Garlic, onions, and a mix of peppers (jalepinos, habeneros, bell, poblanos). When the ferment is over i'm going to put it all into the blender and I'm planning to sort of eyeball the amount of brine to pour in. Hoping to get something tabasco like in consistancy at the end.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

What I’ve been having good luck with doing lactofermentation is finding a good salt to water ratio from a recipe appropriate to what I’m making then making more than I need. Then making sure I have a good follower and weights, then really submerging everything inch or two above the top of the follower and weights. “Fermented Vegetables” was a really good book that helped me get started. I’ve also had better luck using a starter often the whey from yogurt and a bit of brine from a previously fermented good batch.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 28, 2020

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

My fermented pepper sauce finished. I ran the peppers through the blender after pulling them out of the crock with some brine. I was shooting for near Tabasco. Ended up tasting like a good giardiniera.

I’ll take it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I really want to do kimchi next year. The CSA cabbage I get is so good. I’m sad that I’m down to my last half gallon jar of kraut.

Edit: also 3.5 months wow I’m going to have to let mine go a lot longer next time.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 30, 2020

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I didn’t have luck with jars and lids like 50% success rate. Crocks seen to work every time for me.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

You’ll never look back once you start. I’m going to do a big batch of fermented garlic paste next.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Finally got three pounds of garlic cloves into a crock. Now the whole house smells like garlic while we are trapped inside for weeks.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I save chicken carcasses that I roasted after they are eaten in the freezer for that. Slow cooker or a big instant pot, with the veggie trimming bag.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The pickling cukes are the best way to go but usually one can only get them seasonally.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So I just pulled my garlic out and it turned out good. Gentle blue on about half the cloves but I thought that would happen between the minerals in the salt and my hard water. I was going to blend some into a paste... but after starting a garlic ferment just before a shelter in place, I’m pretty sure I’d better hold off and just let the condo not stink of garlic for a while. I mean I want to stay married.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I made about a gallon last summer and am just running out now, kinda sad to see it go.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pb and kraut sandwiches, sausages and hot dogs, slightly heated as a side with crumbled bacon...

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Just put in some giardinara to ferment. Will take some pictures when it’s done.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mongoose posted:

kahm issues.

i always get a bit of kahm on top. And same never in kraut for some reason. Instead of skimming it all the time. I just got deeper with my brine like inch and a half to two or even three inches in the crock. I skim off any other mold, but just leave the kahm until the end. The one book I use says to just leave kahm because it’ll just come back quickly and worse.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pulled my giardiniera out. Bit cloudier than I’d like, some veg sank and some rose to the top. In the past I’ve been able to not disturb everything that sank to the bottom of the crock. To get everything out I couldn’t do that this time. I’d expect it’ll clarify in the fridge. Taste is real good.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think there is something with the fermentation not quite done when they are cloudy. I’m going to dig out my book. All I know is about two weeks in the fridge has been cleaning it up.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Found the book answer. Leave it alone. Elsewhere it says use more brine, if it’s deep enough under won’t affect the quality.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah I was tempted to make a Kale ferment, but everything I read said it would be kinda gross. I’ve ended up doing greens sauces to get rid of the mountains of greens at the beginning of the season. Boil em, then blend em with mushrooms and Parma, and seasonings. Use as a topping for steak or as a pasta sauce like a pesto. Freezes well. If I can dig up the recipe I’ll post it.

Another way to use them is to make things similar to palak paneer in an Indian dish .

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Didn’t find the greens sauce but these are good ways to use up assorted greens...

and they freeze well

For the paneer just sub what green you have. I wouldn’t go more than 30% kale though.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Thinking about greens again. You can freeze them (the tougher ones like kale , collards, etc) too. Not even cooked. Just wash the leaves whole and put them in a plastic gallon bag in the freezer. I don’t even blanch them. When you goto use them they will be brittle. You can just hold the stem and pull down and they fall apart off the stem. They’re only good for cooked applications this way, like to add to soups or that green paneer dish. But for that application it’s handy. And one doesn’t even have to cut them up because they break apart. I make quick soups for lunch a lot and just being able to sprinkle frozen greens into them ups my consumption of greens a lot.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They may get spicier over time, I’ve had that happen with dried chilies. Like two months in before it got spicy. I think it was because they were old, like 2014 dried.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So how does one long term store ferments out of refrigeration?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I figured I could do that with the crock and then just skim weekly. I wonder if it it’s viable if I transfer to mason jars. I’d probably need to top up the brine and make a follower.

In the fridge I just throw a plastic lid on the half gallons I transfer into, then they clarify nicely in about two weeks and keep forever we’ll ( like 6 months) . I’m thinking I’d get scum and mold in the tops if I did the same out of refrigeration after a transfer.

Maybe I should just get more crocks.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Don’t worry about kham yeast too much just skim it off at the end.

You can and should skim other types of mold off the top every couple days.

Crocks seem to get much better results than jars for me at least.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Here’s a picture of what I’ve been using for weights and followers and and idea of water depth above the veggies. I cut a flexible cutting board down. Cabbage leaves work well too depending on the size of the crock.

Fermenting Vegetables is a good book. I tend to like to add a little bit of the liquid from plain yogurt, like a table spoon, to my veggies before I put salt water follower weights and lid on.

Edit: for cleaning just soap and water. It’s not like making beer.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 29, 2020

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Captkirk

Here how things normally look for me after another couple days. If I left the crock for another day or two those mold spot might be dime to nickle sized. One just gently scoops them out with a spoon. Anything that floats to the surface past the follower will get moldy. In my picture those are mostly red pepper flakes that have floated up and gotten moldy. At this point when I remove the lid it smells pickled, like vinegar. If this is what you were seeing this is pretty normal.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yes but I got into fermenting to try to get my gut bacteria back in a good way.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 9, 2020

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Depending of how you preserve them the rinds might be the best part?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Made some fridge pickles carrots and radishes.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So I did a green tomato, onion, and pepper ferment that I just pulled out of the crock and all my end of season green tomatoes ripened during the ferment. When it clarifies and looks pretty I’ll post a pic right now it’s still cloudy after the transfer to the half gallon ball jars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Just make sure you leave space.
Use the plastic lids for freezing they aren’t air tight.
When you heat them do so at 50 or 70 % in the microwave.
And when they do crack you’ll see it just throw them out.
Don’t use your freezing jars for canning ever.