Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

this cracks me up. CCD, kalita wave entice the coffee masses away from V60 promising less finnicky extraction, more foolproof. Hario retorts with an even finnickier extraction method. they're all like "whatchu got scrub?" :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

JDM3 posted:

Is there an issue with the plastic $5.99 Melitta cones?

no, just people like having options and romanticizing the notion of crafting a cup vs the utility of brewing. I still love my little melitta. Tom at sweet marias actually got the most consistently perfect extraction (tested via refractometer) using melitta compared to their own CCD, Chemex, and V60.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Has anyone tried making coffee with beans that weren't degassed to see for themselves what difference it makes?

I make coffee all the time without degassing (often still warm from the roast) because I'm really bad at remembering to roast coffee when I run out. I just allow an extra long bloom time. It's not optimal but it is still good.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

withak posted:

How often do you need 8 cups of coffee?

Every morning amirite?! :catdrugs:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

A jargogle posted:

Hey goons I need some advice on how to best make use of this machine I got bought for Christmas (No I cannot return it, for social reasons).

Now according to the OP and my petty personal experience, these machines and the one-drink capsules they take are pieces of poo poo, but I more or less have to be seen to be using this for at least ~6 months (again, social reasons).

As a result I'm wondering, is it possible to make some kind of re-usable version of these capsules that I fill with my own ground coffee? Does anyone know how the mechanism on these machines work, and whether that would be possible?

If anyone has any other suggestions as to how to salvage this that would be nice too as I'm basically just trying to salvage some value out of this thing since it *is* a gift and I'd hate to a) buy more overpriced capsules or b) not use it at all.

fwiw, bed bath and beyond will take returns for store credit without a receipt.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Google Butt posted:

I just got a preciso refurb, haven't tried it with my ccd yet, just trying to get a decent shot. Might keep my infinity for ccd duty.

My infinity was relegated to office coffee duty when I got my Rocky

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

as if we all didn't hate Keurig enough: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140227/06521826371/keurig-will-use-drm-new-coffee-maker-to-lock-out-refill-market.shtml

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

going from homeroasted Kenya AA brewed in an Aeropress for first cup, to lovely folgers control room coffee in second cup is an assault to my senses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Casull posted:

Does anyone have the Yama Cold Brew Tower or something similar? I'm tempted to get it but I assume it makes the exact same coffee as the Toddy, but a million times more displayable.

Bob_McBob does. I don't know the science of why, but I prefer the taste of drip extracted cold brew vs full immersion. Bob has significantly more objective data on the subject though.