Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I bought a really non-nondescript bag of green jasmine tea at a local Chinese supermarket, and when I poured it into a container one of those little bags of moisture-absorbing balls you get in shoes and stuff fell out. I've never seen that before. Is this common? Can I still drink the tea?

Yes, you can still drink the tea. The dessicant packet was there to keep the leaves dry.

If the packet broke open and dumped little balls of silica gel everywhere, you'd obviously want to remove them first, but otherwise it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

particle409 posted:

I used to drink Tazo (Starbucks brand) black tea called "Awake" at school, and wanted to switch back to tea from coffee. I tried it again, and now it just tastes mediocre.

Did you normally drink it from a Starbucks and try it again at home? For whatever stupid reason, Starbucks stores use full-leaf Tazo bags while the stuff they push out to mass market is lovely fannings bags (and packaged in paper and cardboard at that).

Personally, I love Zen, and have started a thousand workdays with it, but it's completely undrinkable when purchased as teabags.

They do sell the good stuff in-store and online if there's a Tazo flavor you can't do without.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
In the interest of science, I just made a cup of 20 minute gunpowder. It is drinkable. There's not much nuance left to it but it's drinkable.

I'm not sure what the point is, though, since I believe studies found the catechin content of brewed tea (which is what Dr. Oz is after) peaks around normal brewing times. You could have something much better-tasting with roughly equal antioxidant levels. And without waiting 20 minutes for it.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
If anybody else is interested, Verdant Tea's currently running a 5 for $5 special for new customers.

Five bucks gets you 10 gram samples of their Laoshan Black, Laoshan Green, Hand Picked Tieguanyin, Yunnan White Jasmine, and Shui Jin Gui Wuyi Oolong. USPS shipping and a $5 coupon are included in the price.

I've been receiving their newsletter for about a year but never bought anything because I couldn't make a decision (or it sold out before i did). Five teas for no dollars and no choices to make was an easy sell.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
The Contigo mug is fabulous, but sadly the Contigo infuser is so small as to be nearly useless.

It'll work if you're drinking something like fannings or Lipton looseleaf, but there's no room for 8 ounces worth of something nicer to unfurl (nevermind room for enough tea for 20 ounces to unfurl).

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Comb Your Beard posted:

Related question:
What is the tea most Chinese restaurants use? The kind of Chinese restaurant with the round table and the lazy susan, a communal tea pot on it and the little cups with no handle. I believe it's some kind of mild Oolong usually. I would totally buy that for home drinking.

Occasionally a cheap oolong, occasionally a cheap jasmine.

Find your local Asian market's tea aisle. Find the cheapest tins of Chinese-labeled tea they have. Et voila.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Jhet posted:

Or there's always the Lapsang Souchong route, but serve it last as it will not leave much room to taste other more subtle teas.

Truth. My partner loves him some lapsang, and always ordered it when we'd hit the tea shop. As his first pot. Which he always immediately regretted, as everything else tasted like a smokey, piney, flat version of whatever it was supposed to be.

But seriously, if you want to blow some minds, lapsang is both polarizing and mind-blowing. And there are varying smokinesses available if your tea party friends are not, say, Laphroaig drinkers.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Resting Lich Face posted:

Jasmine tea. Mind-blowing how much like a flower it tastes. Not sure I'm a fan.

See also, but possibly worse: lotus tea.

Don't get me wrong — a really high-quality, well-done, carefully-brewed lotus tea is a transcendent experience when consumed, say, once a year.

But that is neither affordable nor time-appropriate for everyday life in Vietnam, where the ubiquitous tea option is cheap lotus tea brewed until it's so astringent it could strip paint and so floral it's like mainlining an old lady's perfume bottle. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

ThatNateGuy posted:

This was mentioned in the thread already, but it was all the way back in 2014, so I'm mentioning it again.

Crio Bru brewed cacao.

How are you brewing it?

I tried it a few years back and liked the finished beverage, but it was a gigantic pain in the rear end to clean out of my french press.