Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

You can buy empty tea bags that you fill with your tea and then fold over the top to make a bit of a pocket. I've bought some before at a Japanese grocery store. That could be one solution for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

surrender posted:

Have any of y'all tried Adagio's Earl Grey Bravo? I'm running low on loose-leaf tea, and my only options in the area are Teavana or the loose-leaf Twinings tin from the supermarket. I definitely prefer stronger earl greys, so I'm intrigued by the Bravo, since it includes pieces of orange rind.

I just recently bought 100g of this from a local store:

http://shop.tgtea.com/store/product/5226/Earl-Grey-No.-69/

Its great. Its this exact tea I guess, Tea Gschwendner must be their supplier. Heavy on the bergamot, resteeps wonderfully. Love it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

niveous posted:

Anybody have a recommendation for a good loose genmai cha? The local sushi place has one that's really tasty and while I have some okay bagged stuff I'd rather buy something that's nicer quality.

I would argue that buying 'high quality' is sort of against the point of genmaichai since it was originally created to save money so the lower classes could afford to drink tea. Adding toasted rice to a cheaper tea would make it go farther. I think you could find good selection of loose genmaicha in any asian/Japanese grocery store.

Otherwise, I'm sure any of the number of web sites previous posters have recommended would have some.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Cizzo posted:

I've never actually had genmai cha. Does it taste sweet at all because of the brown rice?

Its actually toasted white rice. :) And it isn't sweet at all, I'm terrible at describing how things taste but I think the rice gives it this nice savory quality to an otherwise traditional green tea base flavor. It just makes me feel nostalgic about Japan every time I drink it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

aldantefax posted:

I was e-window shopping last night and I saw that Teavana has a yixing thermal tumbler on sale for 30 bucks US. This prompted me to consider writing up a post about yixing, but I don't have much good photos considering the single teensy yixing pot I have is chocolate black and small as heck!

Anyway, if I can get some halfway decent yixing images I'll consider putting up a post about it. In the meantime, BAM.

Well drat, that's really kind of brilliant. Though I really have no idea which symbols are supposed to mean which kind of tea.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Niemat posted:

Can I go ahead and throw out another "If you're just getting into tea (and even sometimes if you're already into it), DON'T go to Teavana right away"...? I used to work there (but have since moved on to the local tea shop), and the training actually states you need to hear "no" FIVE times before you drop the subject... I quit pretty quickly.

Welp, I guess now when I go in I'll just start out the conversation with "I'm just browsing...and pretend I said that five times". Its really too bad their sales tactics are so high pressure, Teavana did get me into tea and while now I know better and see that their markup is quite high, I think they have high quality product and its certainly a store that might be more accessible to the public vs other smaller tea shops. I eventually stopped shopping there for the obnoxious sales people that won't leave you alone, rather than the prices.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Are there any good 'decaf' teas? I know the answer is probably no, its just that when it comes to tea I really can't stand things that have an overly flowery or fruity bouquet, so I typically don't drink hearbal 'tea' and haven't tried many rooibos either. I would just like something that tastes like a classic black or green tea that I could drink at 10pm and then not lay awake in bed for 5 hours afterwards because of it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sudoku posted:

I don't think tea has enough caffeine in it to keep you up for very long, though. It's no cup of coffee or even a can of soda.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/AN01211

Black tea can have as much or more caffeine in it than an espresso, and since all tea leaves are fundamentally identical, all kinds of tea can have the same caffeine content depending on steep times.

I was dumb and recently enjoyed a nice second flush assam late at night, and I wasn't joking when I wrote that I laid in bed wide awake until the were hours of the morning because of it.

Maybe a better question would have been what are some herbal teas that aren't overly fruity or flowery?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

breaks posted:

A quick steep actually doesn't do much to decaffeinate the tea. There's a good article about it here: http://chadao.blogspot.com/2008/02/caffeine-and-tea-myth-and-reality.html

That was a really interesting read. White tea has the highest amount of caffeine? And it looks like all I've got to do to make decaf tea for myself is to be sure to steep my tea for 15 minutes first. :v:

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions, I think I'm mostly hesitant to try tisanes because I've had so many horrible ones in the past. I like a strong flavored tea, but not when its cinnamon and flowers and fruits and poo poo all thrown together. The chicory or dandelion coffee intrigues me, I may have to hunt some down.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

dik-dik posted:

Do any of you who use metal thermoses find that they make your tea taste different? I was thinking of getting one, but I recently had some tea served in stainless steel cups and it tasted kind of metallic.

Put more directly—what's a good way to carry around a day's worth of tea?

Earlier in the thread someone posted a link to a thermos Teavana sells that is metal, but has an inside lining of yixing clay. I think the idea is brilliant, don't own one though. You might want to check it out.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 17, 2012

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The only thing good from Starbucks that is related to tea is the matcha frappuccino. And luckily, as of a year ago, the US locations switched to the Japanese recipe and now its super delicious. Since I dont drink coffee, thats the only thing I ever buy from them.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GrAviTy84 posted:

TRIP REPORT

Was in the area after a gig today so I passed by this place in Monterey Park. "Wing Hop Fung" Found it just randomly internet searching for tea shops near me or places I frequent. It was quite awesome.

Tetsubins and clay pots

:staredog: Wanna go to that store.....

They have a website, but don't sell any of their teaware through it. :(

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Cyril Sneer posted:

Regarding (2), no, I'm not an alcoholic. It has just occurred to me on numerous occasions that while there are tasty spiked coffees, and of course ciders, I've never heard of any kind of alcoholic teas.

How about some beer tea? http://www.facebook.com/UnityVibration

I actually had some at a beer fest last fall. As much of a fan of both beer and tea that I am, I thought it was disgusting. They seem to be doing quite well with their sales though so I guess someone likes it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A jargogle posted:

I live in the UK. I'd like to get my mother some slightly better tea for her birthday (Her usual is earl gray tea bags from twinnings though I know she can brew using leaves), does anyone have any reccommendations, both for places to buy from and also types of tea to buy?

Maybe this is way too touristy for you but when I was in London a few years back I picked up some excellent loose earl gray from Harrods, and have since acquired a few more of their teas as gifts. I found the tea quality to be very good, and they also come in really nice tins.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If your search criteria is 'bagged' and 'cheap', your choices are going to be very limited. Why not buy loose leaf and fill your own bags, or buy an ingenuiTEA? I use one at home and work, they're very hassle free and in the long run you will probably save money this way.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hadlock posted:

Effort. I drink probably 6 cups of tea at work a day, and we have a shared kitchen/break room area. I'd rather not be known as "the guy who leaves his tea poo poo in the sink all the time". There's actually a wide variety of loose leaf tea equipment tucked away in the cupboards, but not being known as "that guy" & getting promoted regularly > ultra high quality tea.

I know myself pretty well, and as much as I hate consumerist, disposable culture, this is one area of my life that I'm OK with making an exception for. I know if I used the proper loose leaf tea, looking at my kitchen sink right now, I'd leave a huge mess in the kitchen at least 2-3 times a month, and that's something I have to avoid. Pre-wrapped tea stays fresh for long periods of time and has a very high convenience factor, which is a major plus in an office environment.

Does your office sink not have a garbage disposal? I guess if it doesn't I can see why cleaning up would be a bit more of a hassle, but if it does I don't see how there'd be much concern. It takes me less than 2 minutes at the end of the day to clean my ingenuiTEA and cup before I leave the office. Saying you won't be promoted or liked because you drink loose-leaf tea is rather silly.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

How much trouble is it to clean those ingenuiTEA things? Their video doesn't show that part. I use a strainer that sits in the cup and it's very easy to lift out and whack on the edge of the garbage can to dump out the leaves, then rinse out under the tap and shake dry.

Assuming you have a garbage disposal, its just as easy as rinsing it out a couple of times. Maybe once every 2 months I will soak it in a water/bleach solution and then throw it in the dishwasher at home, since the inside/strainer do get stained.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

discoukulele posted:

I just had a birthday recently, and my brother and sister-in-law bought me ThinkGeek's Tea Sampler. It's a bit costly for what it is, but the teas are actually produced by Adagio, so they're quality. It's a really nice gift for the geeky tea drinker in your life, or for yourself if you're just now exploring the world of tea because you get four different varieties- Early Grey, Jasmine Green, Blood Orange, and Chai.

Right now, I'm loving the 1UP Green Jasmine. :cheers:

I see only one legitimate geek tea reference there. Since when do zombies drink tea? :colbert:

The tins are pretty cute though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

a handful of dust posted:

Is that Tritan plastic stuff safe to bleach? I went to clean my moms ingenuitea with bleach the other day and she started flipping out about bleach degrading the plastic and leeching chemicals into her tea.

That's a good question. :v: I just...assumed it was. I always run it through the dishwasher after I bleach it too, and it soaks in probably a 10% bleach/water mix. Doing some googling, the makers of Tritan say it will stand up to bleach without causing any wear/damage. Google also gave me a page where people advise you not to use bleach on Lunapads. So yeah, thanks for this.

Edit: You could probably use vinegar and baking soda for the same purpose too, then there's no worry about 'chemicals'. But then you might smell/taste the vinegar.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 30, 2012

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I use one of these guys precisely because it keeps things hot for a while, but not to the extreme burn my face off after 6 hours that some do. It is also completely bulletproof and does not leak at all ever. I've apparently converted all my coworkers on accident since everyone here seems to have one.

I have one of these and agree, it doesn't keep tea hot forever but I'm ok with that because the rare times I use it I'm putting hot tea in it with the intention of drinking it within an hour or so. My only complaint is the mechanism for the mouth/drinking hole isn't the easiest to clean and the tea has stained it over time.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

As much as I love The Book of Tea, it's not so much about tea as it is about taoism, zen, and aesthetics in Japanese life. Tea and tea ceremony is very much discussed but if you are looking for something more straightforward about tea history and production this isn't where you should start.

Not that I'm saying you shouldn't read it, its pretty short and you can probably even find the entire thing online somewhere. Just make it the fourth or fifth book you pick up and not the first.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

In tea news today, Starbucks is buying Teavana for $620 million.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GenericGirlName posted:

More importantly, I had to replace my IngenuiTea teapot because the filter seems to be stained. If I make a cup of Irish Breakfast it tastes overdone even though I'm pretty precise with my times. The same day I made a cup with the new wegman's teapot I picked up and it tasted great. Does anyone know of a way to replace the filter or get the residue out? :( I suppose I should have looked into the maintenance of the tea pot before I got it.

I'm sure there is a greener way of doing this but I routinely just throw a little bleach into mine then fill it with water and let it sit a while. I always run it through the dishwasher afterwards. Clean and stain-free.

Edit: I do this with the kind that comes with the removable filter but I don't see why it won't work on the new design.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I'm pretty much a black tea drinker - I love english breakfast and chai blends in the morning with a bit of sugar and milk. I don't dislike green/white teas but they're usually a bit boring.

Spring is here and I'd like to pick up a few types of green/white tea. Does anybody have any recommendations, preferably from Upton? Teas that would be great cold would be good bonus too.

Have you tried TeaHaus in Kerrytown before? They are a franchise/reseller of Tea Gschwedner. I don't know if they are cheaper or comparable to Upton but it might be helpful to see/smell the tea in person.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Is anyone interested in doing a tea swap of some kind with me? I went to NYC a few months back and hit up a grocery store in Chinatown and bought a couple random bags of tea. One of them, which I believe is this: http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/it...0&categoryID=54, is something I just can't seem to get into. I think it's the licorice juice, it makes my mouth all tingly... Anyway, I've got a ton of this stuff and I'll feel bad if it just goes to waste. Anyone want to send me some tea if I send you some of this?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Koaxke posted:

I want to try a second steep on my teas, but is it cool if I just let the leaves sit in my ingenuitea while I finish my first cup? If not is there a certain way I should be storing them while I drink the first cup?

Also what teas are good for multiple steeps? Are there any that trend to be bad with multiple steeps?

I'd think just about every tea can go through multiple steeps, its just going to be a matter of timing to figure what length of resteet produces the best results. I think oolongs are generally considered to resteep the best, sometimes the second cup will taste better than the first.

As for leaving your leaves in the IngenuiTea, I do it all day every day at work. Sometimes the leaves are sitting in there 6-7 hours before I have my last cup for the day, with no ill effects.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Aerofallosov posted:

I use a Zojirushi water boiler. It's really nice and I can set the temperature or set it to boil later. It also works for ramen noodles and anything I need that needs boiling water. The settings are 208F, 195F, 175F and 140F. You can also dispense at 212F if you pay attention to it. Though, Zojirushi stuff tends to be a little pricey. But it's held up for about 3 years and works great.

I've been trying to find a decent thermos/travel mug, myself. I sort of like how the Timolinos look and having a secret stash for leaves/a tea bag looks awesome. What do folks use to lug tea around to work with them?

Is it this one: http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-CD-...d=IHHNS71GMZC0I ? My office is moving to a new, bigger building and I decided to buy myself a boiler to keep at work since I drink so much tea. Wanted to buy one of these for home a couple years back but didn't really want/need something that stayed on 24/7. Gonna buy this one once we move because it looks fab and also Zojirushi is the best.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Aerofallosov posted:

Yup! That's the one. Works like a champ and doesn't seem to mind me leaving it on a few hours or setting it to boil and have hot water by the time I'm home for work. I just clean it out with citric acid or vinegar once in awhile (Our water is so hard, ugh). I got mine a bit cheaper for being a display model, but it's been great. I like using it for tea, noodles and fast hot water. A little pricey, but I like it lots.

I have a Zojirushi rice cooker I bought while living in Japan and dragged home in my luggage. Its going on 5 years old now but still looks and works like new and I use it at least 2-3 times a week. Zojirushi means quality. I compare it to the electric kettle I did end up buying: $30 cheaper but it really shows.

I know in your previous post you said you were looking into some thermos, Zojirushi has a whole line of vacuum sealed thermos you should look into. They don't have the tea baskets, though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My favorite kind of iced 'tea' is mugicha. It's just roasted barley but a staple drink during hot Japanese summers. You can probably find it at any Asian grocery store, House brand is pretty good though there are probably plenty of varieties to choose from:

It should already be in a ready-to-use bag, just drop it into your pitcher, add water, and wait ~4hrs. You can leave the bag in when it's done too.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

So uh why are you even bothering to do this when you obviously already have your mind made up that you'll hate it and probably can't even be unbiased in a review?

And one ounce of whole cone hops is going to be a fairly good sized bag. You should probably seek out a homebrew store because they'll have fresher product (hop harvest just happened), and it will be a lot cheaper. You shouldn't have to pay more than $3/oz for something like Centennial or Cascade.

Hop tea will probably smell amazing but not have much body outside of a grassy flavor. I've heard it's great if you need help getting to sleep. Hops are just one component of beer, a lot of commercially produced beer (Bud/Miller/Coors) aren't heavy on the hops at all so even if you hate poo poo beer you might like hoppy beer or sour beers or stouts. Keep an open mind and give it a try again sometime. :)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Use twice the amount of tea, and half the amount of water. Then, pour over ice.

Or, cold brew overnight in the fridge.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I know this post is from months ago, but I realized I hadn't read this thread in almost two years and got caught up tonight. The "drain" on the left side of your table is actually from a water cooler. It's the part the jugs sit on, with the protruding part inserting into the jug to drain water (see image 5 here). Hope that helps. :shobon: Sweet table, btw.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I wanna blow some Christmas cash on tea, and y'all have convinced me to get some Long Jing from Teavivre. I've never ordered from them before, anything else I should grab that really stands out?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Do you have any Asian markets in your area? They always have a bunch of inexpensive tea you can usually buy in big quantities.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jhet posted:

TeaVivre is releasing Spring Teas and having a sale. There's a little quiz where you can win $10 off and you can enter their drawing for some free tea.

http://www.teavivre.com/sale/spring...ourself_png#st1

The spring teas are starting to get released too. Only the She Qian and Ming Qian Longjing are available so far, but I'd expect more by the end of the week.

Was just doing this little quiz, and looking at their tea storage recommendations and see they suggest storing tea in the fridge. Does anyone do this? I usually just keep things in airtight containers in my cupboard/a cabinet at work.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ineffiable posted:

They were always too overpriced but I can't deny they probably got a few people into loose leaf.

I was a sucker for an expensive cast iron teapot at Teavana once, and ended up buying another $100 or so in loose leaf tea. That was my entry into becoming a tea snob. Won't really be sad to see them go, as I never gave them another dollar (the tea was fine, it was the incredibly high pressure sales techniques that kept me away), but their Formosa Nut Oolong with candied violets was pretty great.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Lovelyn posted:

Can anyone recommend a high quality thermos that is made in the US? Or somewhere other than China?

Based on the reviews I guess this is made in Thailand: https://smile.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SM-SA60-BA-Stainless-Steel-20-Ounce/dp/B00HYOGUM2/

I know it always gets high marks on Wirecutter, and I got one for my mom one year and she loved it so much she got another to keep at work.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Keret posted:

Hey tea friends, that Zojirushi thermos looks pretty dope and I'm considering getting one. Those of you who have it, would it be possible to attach some sort of band or ring to it, to attach it to a bag or sling? I like to lash my thermos to my little cross-body bag when I walk around because the bag is too small to put anything inside and I like having my hands free.

You would probably need to get a sleeve with a strap already attached, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-bottle-straight-stainless-SD-EC10-PV/dp/B01BL929DY/ I don't think you could really safely attach a ring or band otherwise.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bees on Wheat posted:

I decided I was on a matcha kick for a bit, bought a bunch from Nijiya, then never even opened it. :j:

On the upside, I guess it won't go stale as quickly?

Worst comes to worst, you could always use it for cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Wide-mouth Hydro Flask? https://www.hydroflask.com/18-oz-wide-bottle/color,black,a,92,o,20

There are plenty of other size and lid configurations. Should be dead simple to clean if you get yourself a bottle brush.