Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
How has this thread existed for 3+ months without my noticing it?

I've been getting more and more into tea lately. I highly recommend the book The Tea Enthusiast's Handbook which talks in excruciating detail about the six different types of tea (black, green, white, oolong, puerh, yellow). Reading that got me to try some yellow tea when I finally found some at Dobra Tea in Madison last weekend. The guys there said it was the Chinese emperor's favorite tea. It wasn't bad, but it was far from my favorite tea, so I'll have to disagree with the emperor on that one. I didn't find it all that different from some green teas either.

Since there seem to be a few Chicago people around, I'll give a shout out to the Chicago Tea Garden. The guy who runs it is super nice and has excellent teas, although they aren't cheap. He does cheap or free tastings on a regular basis at his warehouse too. Wish we had a tea cafe in the city that I liked, though.

Very excited to have just ordered a Zojirushi water boiler too from Amazon (which has pretty good discounts of MSRP). I've been looking for a new one but hadn't thought to search for "water boiler" instead of "tea kettle" and I couldn't find an electric kettle that had temperature settings and is BPA free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Dick Smegma posted:

I don't want to get into the green has more caffeine then black debate. I simply want to know what green and black tea's should I pick up that are guaranteed to pick me up? What do you guys recommend?

This is my favorite article on caffeine in tea and it lists some general types of tea that are more likely to be higher in caffeine.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Forumpost posted:

I've been drinking a lot more black tea at work now that I bought a good water heater that can actually get water to boiling, I bought some of this:

http://www.adagio.com/black/golden_monkey.html?SID=4ac0b79c00358a4f5a82318691951f35

And it's fantastic. Has anyone tried this tea or have other black teas to recommend based on it?

I'm not sure how similar it is (looks like it's from a different province), but my favorite black tea is Golden Li Bao. It sounds similar, they at least both start with golden. The guy at Chicago Tea Garden gave me some to try to prove me wrong when I mentioned that I didn't really care for black tea, and he was right, it's great stuff.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Just got my order of Peppermint Rose herbal "tea" to soothe my stomach from Red Blossom tea company in the mail. I don't know why I keep forgetting that in the world of tea, 16 ounces is a lot, but I now have two loaf-of-bread-sized bags of the stuff. Fortunately it is delicious, as I I think I have enough to drink a mug of it every day for the rest of my life.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

a handful of dust posted:

I had some pu-erh tea for the first time today at a friends house. I think it was from adagio. I finished the cup just to be polite, but it seriously loving sucked. It tasted like some weird combination of hay, dirt, or compost, and it had a slight fishy undertone.

Is this typical of pu-erh teas, or was it just lovely or improperly brewed tea?
My girlfriend upon tasting pu-erh for the first time: Yuck, this tastes like my grandfather's barnyard.

Maybe I just haven't had a good one either, but I've tried at least 10 different kinds and I have the same impression as you. I figure it's not just for me. I have had flavored pu-erhs (blood orange and ginger) that I've enjoyed and maybe one or two unflavored ones that I'd classify as "not bad", but even those still have the really earthy undertones.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I have one that's 3/4/5 that a friend gave me. It's great and way handier than pulling out my phone and setting that. It I bought one myself, it would be a 1/3/5, though. 3 minutes is too long for many of the teas I drink.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
That's interesting since they already own Tazo. In their defense, they haven't f'ed up Tazo to much. They arguably even made it better by offering many of their teas in loose leaf form. I wonder what they plan to do with Teavana.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

jazz babies posted:

Just got a job at DAVIDsTEA. Excited would be an understatement. :D
I didn't realize this was a chain. Apparently they just opened one in my neighborhood; I'll have to check it out this weekend.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I bought a really non-nondescript bag of green jasmine tea at a local Chinese supermarket, and when I poured it into a container one of those little bags of moisture-absorbing balls you get in shoes and stuff fell out. I've never seen that before. Is this common? Can I still drink the tea?
Those packets aren't that dangerous either. My young niece swallowed one and poison control said they are harmless/non-toxic.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Enfys posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Verdant Tea? Their Tea of the Month club looks like an interesting way to try out a big variety of different teas if you don't have a huge amount of experience with everything out there, and it sounds like good quality, but then every shop will try to make their stuff sound like it's awesome quality so I'm wondering if anyone has any personal experience or better knowledge.

Also is Aged Tie guan yin a thing? They're advertising 5 year aged tie guan yin, but I had never really heard of aged teas much outside of pu'er tea (however they're spelled).
I like Verdant Tea a lot. David, the guy who runs it is great and their customer service is top notch. I have done their tea of the month club for a while and I like it a lot. It's a fun, albeit expensive way to try various different teas and herbals. One downside is that sometimes they don't have (or don't have for long) the teas they sample in the Tea of the Month club, so if you like something, it may be difficult to find where to get more. Also as you can probably tell from the site, they do more pure teas (and some herbals), so if you like the blended stuff like David's Tea has, you won't get that type of stuff. And you're paying $25/month or whatever the price is for 3 ounces of tea, so forget it if you're at all cost conscious.

Everything I've gotten from them has been really high quality. I remember getting one or two aged tie guan yins in the club too. I don't have any left, but I recall really liking it. I want to say it was a darker/bolder/stronger version of tai guan yin, but I may be confusing it with a lightly roasted oolong I also got from them.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

hope and vaseline posted:

I was browsing the Adagio store in downtown Chicago to pick up my monthly batch of Sencha and thought I'd try some oolongs I haven't before. The guy working the counter brewed me a cup of his recommendation, Ali Shan, an oolong that's more on the green side. Good god does it taste amazing. Really smooth and naturally sweet, nothing like any oolong I've ever tried. Too bad it's on the pricier end, I bet multiple resteepings would really bring out different flavors as well.
I just had a cup of that ali shan a couple weeks ago when I happened to be walking by that exact store. It's definitely one of my favorite oolongs and I like the store a lot more than I thought I would for a chain - although after further research I guess they're not a chain, they only have 3 locations.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Sadly I'm not a new customer (I'm still a member of their tea of the month club), but that's definitely not a deal to pass up... Verdant is one of my favorite online tea retailers.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I came to post exactly what hope and vaseline said, except I don't know about Chinatown. If you are in the West 'burbs, Todd & Holland is also pretty good. My favorite is also Adagio especially since they will brew you anything if you want to try before you buy.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

adventure in the sandbox posted:

My partner would like an automatic tea or boiling water system, like a coffee pot on a timer. Is there such a device? Even a fancy kettle that will have boiling water ready at 0530 would be great.

I haven't seen one, but the Zojirushi water boilers (which aren't cheap) can keep water at a specific temperature and are quite well insulated so it wouldn't waste a ton of energy to leave it on overnight.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Arcturas posted:

Mmm. Genmaicha is the best.

I used to think so too, until I discovered genmai matcha. Even better.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Niemat posted:

I think my genmai matcha isn't as great a quality as my genmaicha, so I'll definitely have to try a different company (or try to bungle through my own concoction), because I wasn't super impressed with the stuff I have. Where do you pick up yours?
This is my favorite. It used to be called Zen Mind and now it's called Ryokucha. But it seems like Genmai matcha to me.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I'm was excited to see New York City is having their Coffee and Tea Festival this weekend when I'll be in town, but sadly it appears completely sold out. Anyone know any good tea shops in Queens or nearby, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I haven't tried the rinse with green tea. Gonna give it a try next time and see if it comes out better. I usually make it at work where I don't have control over the water temp either. Maybe I can bring a thermometer to check it.

I do everything in a mug with a basket filter, steeping black for 5 minutes, oolong for 4 minutes (I give oolong quick rinse first) and green for 3 minutes. But I'm intrigued by your technique.

I used to have a gaiwan at work and still have one at home, but I rarely have the patience to go through that for the smaller amount of tea it provides.