Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Just the tea inside, or the bag itself? Maybe she has an odd tea-based form of pica. Some people are just compelled to eat things that aren't food, and paper is pretty common amongst them.

Back to tea talk, I really miss my IngenuiTEA. I have no idea where it went since I moved several times since I bought it. It was kind of a pain sometimes, but it made decent tea and was fun to use. Unfortunately, mine was an earlier model with an opaque black base instead of the clear one so it could only be used with clear mugs, unless you wanted to risk having your cup overflow.

I used to get tea from DragonWater, because they had a wide selection and a tasting club, but they closed earlier this year. They had a nice Ti Kuan Yin, and green chai, too. :( Thankfully, Adagio is still around and they've never steered me wrong! I've been craving some of their citron green for a while..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Anyone who is into minty tisanes should try adding just a little fresh basil to it. It might sound weird, but they're both in the mint family, and it adds a bit of depth to the flavor. I used to do this all the time when I had a ton of fresh peppermint, spearmint and sweet basil growing outside.

French press mugs are amazing, and I wish I still had mine. It was a Tazo/Starbucks branded one, but I don't remember the actual manufacturer. It might have been Bodum. Anyway, mine was clear, double-walled plastic with a black screw-on lid. The mesh strainer bit was much finer than that of a french press used for coffee, so pretty much any tea worked out. Not being able to open the lid was kind of a pain, but these days I end up adding milk and sugar to the cup before the water anyway. For some reason, adding the milk first seems to taste better. I don't know if there's actually anything to this, or if I just want to believe it because Alton Brown said I should.

As far as roasted teas go, it's really hard to go wrong with genmaicha and hojicha. I usually have a bunch of it around because it's very cheap at most asian markets. Fun history fact: genmaicha was invented as a way to make tea last longer! It's basically sad peasant tea, but it's so delicious.. :3:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Look Under The Rock posted:

So I'm getting really into florals. Does anyone have any floral favorites? I'm not remotely a snob, I'll drink bagged tea as well as loose leaf. There's a rose tea I got from the grocery store that I love way too much, and right now I'm drinking some jasmine green tea and it's amazing. What do you tea fanatics like?

Depends on how floral you like things, but I'm fond of Ti Hu Shan's rose green tea. It has decent quality whole-leaf green tea with pink rosebuds in it, and it's fairly cheap. I paid around $10 for a jar at my local Asian grocery, and it's lasted me a couple years. They also make a nice whole-leaf jasmine, oolongs, and blooming teas. I haven't tried all of them, but they're nice if you like your tea "greener". Plus, they come in these awesome, airtight glass jars:

If you like things a bit less green, Zhena's Gypsy Tea has a great black tea with pink rose petals. I drink it like it's like crack, with a bit of milk and sugar.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Guess who just got the tiniest, chintziest little tea set at the corner store? The set was only $20, so I figured that even if everything about it sucked, at least I wasn't out much money. The set came with 300g of vacuum-sealed oolong tea, and judging by the size of this pot, that's enough to last forever.

Leaves, before and after:

This is a decent tea, but nothing spectacular. Maybe it'll get better if I keep brewing it in the same pot, but I'm not holding my breath. My boyfriend really likes it so far, though.

And holy poo poo, what's this? The cheap print on the sides changes color based on the temperature? :krad: I think my cafe tea pot and demitasse cups in the background are getting jealous.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Thanks, I'll give that a shot! The first batch I tried didn't have enough leaves, but I did notice I liked it better on the second or third brew. I'm trying it again, but it's a bit hard to judge how much tea to use, since the leaves expand so much.

I had no idea it changed colors when I picked it up. I just went "ooh, tea set!" :downs: I was also kind of excited because I saw a very similar set at a shop down the street the other day, but it was more expensive, didn't come with tea, and I think everything was glazed inside. I think glazing a clay tea pot kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
It's okay, sometimes I hate this thread too.

I just bought a jar of mini pu-erh-style cakes. I'm brewing some right now, but I honestly have no idea how it's going to taste. They brew a cup that looks more like coffee than tea, but it looks like it's made from leftover dust and trimmings. It's like I've found the Lipton of pu-erhs, except I know there's worse out there because the corner store offers pu-erh in tea bags.

I think tomorrow I'll visit the actual tea shop and buy something nice, instead of loading up on things for the kitsch factor.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
For cheap and easy tea with milk, I usually put the tea bag and a bit of milk in the cup, then pour the water over it. For something fancier I'll brew looseleaf in a pot, add milk and sugar to the cup, then pour tea over it. Doesn't matter what kind of tea, either. I'll drink blacks, oolongs and greens like this. For some reason, adding the milk to the cup first makes it taste better. Also, this tends to be one of those situations where less is more. If you drown your tea in milk it'll taste awful. I usually add just enough milk to coat the bottom of my cup.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
TianRen is pretty easy to find here; I actually recognized the characters pretty easily. There are a ton of asian markets around here, and they all seem to stock at least one variety.

There's also a pretty big difference between milk tea and tea with milk. One is a sugary beverage that you get at a cafe and is mostly flavored syrup, the other is real tea with a dash of milk in it. I actually enjoy both methods of preparation; it just depends on what I'm in the mood for and whether I want to drop $4 on a cup of flavored milk. (The answer is usually yes.)

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I've had one lapsang souchong, and the smell was so overwhelming I couldn't drink it. The flavor itself wasn't bad if I held my nose, but that's no way to enjoy a tea. I really, really tried to like it but just couldn't, and I couldn't find anyone else that wanted it either. Thankfully all I bought was a small sample, because I ended up throwing it out when even the tea snobs I know didn't want anything to do with it. :sigh:

I still feel bad about throwing it away, but good lord no one liked it. I hope your batch is a lot better than mine was!

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Thoht posted:

Ugh, I have to confess that I really don't like lapsang. I've tried three different varieties with different levels of smokiness and I just don't like to drink it. It is pretty cool to use in cooking though.

I don't really like it either. The flavor is alright, but the smell is so overpowering that I had to hold my nose to drink it.

I really like scotches, but the smell of a good peaty scotch doesn't punch you in the goddamn nose like this.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Molten Llama posted:

If anybody else is interested, Verdant Tea's currently running a 5 for $5 special for new customers.

I got mine yesterday morning and so far I've only tried the tieguanyin. It's pretty good, but I don't think I used nearly enough for my pot. One of these days I'll get some sort of scale and actually measure my teas properly.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I got this recently. I tried the Laoshan Black and the Yunnan White Jasmine. I don't know poo poo about white tea (I've literally never had any before this) but I liked it, though there are no real comments I have since I don't know what I'm looking for. But the Laoshan Black is really fantastic. The leaves smell like loving cookies, and it tastes rich and almost sweet without much astringency. I'm already out :(. I'm experimenting with different ways of brewing, since their website gives a bunch of guidance for brewing in the instructions.

Looking forward to trying the others. They're pricey but the teas have been so far fantastic. At least with the Laoshan Black I think the price is right for a Sunday morning or special occasion tea (unless you're rich I can't imagine using them as daily drinker...)

Glad someone liked it. I tried the Laoshan black and thought it smelled awful, and only tasted okay-ish. It was kind of chocolatey, but in a bad way, like something that had been left out and collected all the funky smells from the fridge or cupboard. Kind of smoky, too. It was just.. weird, and kind of off-putting. I haven't tried the green yet because it smelled even stronger when I opened the bag. I guess I prefer my teas to smell like leaves and flowers and grass clippings and stuff like that. Chocolate cookies don't really have a place in my cup.

The jasmine, on the other hand, was extraordinary. I would definitely buy that again. For now I have it sealed in a glass jar in a dark place, like I'm hoarding treasure, otherwise I would drink all of it in one go. The oolong and tiegaunyin were also pretty good, but not good enough to covet like that white jasmine. :3:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Recently I bought a pound of cheap black tea at a Chinese corner store because it was lychee flavored and only :10bux: and came in a cute tin. The lychee flavor isn't very strong but it smells amazing. :3: I also bought a pressed cake of tea there recently, but I haven't tried it yet. I was hesitant about it since I've heard cheap pressed teas taste like barfy lawn clippings, but the cashier said he drinks the stuff all the time, so I have some hope for it. He also says it's good for digestion if you eat too much, but people say that about a lot of teas.

Shnooks posted:

Oh drat, that thing says to consume in 3 months. Does anyone take longer to finish their teas? I store them all in mason jars in the back of my cabinet so they're pretty air tight.

I take forever to finish my teas, and keep buying more. I have a few glass jars of tea that have been in my cupboard for years, and they still taste fine to me. They're also whole-leaf teas, so that might have something to do with it.

E: I even have a couple tisanes from Dragonwater Tea, and they haven't even been in business for several years. I think I have a tea hoarding problem. :ohdear:

Bees on Wheat fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 1, 2013

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

DurianGray posted:

Anybody know if this a common thing outside of Virginia at all? I've been to a few other tea places there were seriously just tea and food, but that was in Delaware or Maryland or something.

There's a place nearby called Tea Treasures, or something like that. I've never been inside, but they have tea services and sell a bunch of kitschy junk. The store windows are piled high with knickknacks that look like they were stolen from my grandma's house. Lots of little porcelain figure and doilies and things. I think they also have actual tea wares, but it would be hard to spot it between all the other crap.

I've also seen several tea shops that were just tea and tea wares, but those tend to be Chinese tea shops. Maybe the tea and junk shop fad is just a western thing.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

detectivemonkey posted:

I just posted my infuser of choice a couple pages back, but I second the all-metal mesh.

I just did an Adagio buy since it's getting cold out and I need to get some winter teas. This gift code is good for 24 hours and is a $5 gift certificate: 7650789117.

Thanks for this! I just ordered a new IngenuiTEA since my old one got lost in a move a few years back. I got one that came with a black tea sampler. I also got a $5 coupon code, so here's mine as well: 9720341621

E: Apparently you also get a free sample added to your next order if you let Adagio post to Facebook about your purchase. My fiance saw this and just said "I hope this doesn't tell me about every time you buy tea."

Bees on Wheat fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 27, 2013

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I'm an electric kettle convert now. I was wary of buying one for a while, since all the ones I've used at other people's houses seemed to take longer than heating a pot on the stove. Even the really nice looking ones seemed to take forever. Then I found one on sale at the grocery store for :10bux: and figured I'd try it out. It heats a liter of water to a full boil in less than 5 minutes and is now my (and my fiance's) favorite kitchen appliance. I think I just doubled my daily tea intake since it's so much easier to heat water this way. Next I need to try boiling eggs in it, ala Alton Brown.

It's not very fancy and it doesn't have different heat settings, but neither does my clunky old kettle that doesn't even whistle. I'm gonna throw that thing in a closet. :11tea:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I'm not in the market for an electric kettle, but are kettles that whistle still a thing that can be bought? I drink almost entirely black tea so I guess I'd want something that would whistle when the water was boiling, but I have no idea how that works. My current kettle starts hissing when it gets remotely steamy and has no lid so I have to either stand and constantly monitor it or have it boil over.

In my experience, most kettles whistle or make some other godawful noise when the water boils. However, this one that my roommate owns, doesn't. Like yours, it doesn't have a lid either. You just have to fill it through the spout and that makes cleaning a pain. I got really good at identifying the sounds it makes while boiling though, even from the next room over.

My friend has this ridiculous strawberry kettle and the sound it makes is downright alarming. First time we heard it whistle we were both in the living room and it scared us shitless because it sounds like some sort of warning siren. :stare:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Goddamn posted:

I'm also in the market for a nice 12+ oz glass mug. Something that isn't too likely to split on contact with hot water. I've worked with enough beakers to think that is a reasonable standard. Or, hey, if there's a way to get a beaker with a handle... Edit: Nevermind, I think I found what I'm looking for...

I've been using a pessimist's mug for years, but a beaker mug has been on my wishlist for a while. I bought my pessimist mug around 5 or 6 years ago and found another one at a thrift store a couple years later. I regularly use them for hot tea and coffee, and run them through the dishwasher all the time with no problems.

I even knocked one off my desk earlier while it was full of green tea and it's fine. (It didn't fall far and it landed on something soft-ish.) After cleaning tea off everything I just rinsed it out and made a new cup. :downs:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

detectivemonkey posted:

I think my favorite thing about Adagio is how easy it is to get samples, then mix them up into something even more delicious, then have them make you a big pile of that.

I like that about Adagio too. I have to convince myself that I don't need more teas or I'd order everything.

I used to order from Dragonwater all the time because they had convenient sample sizes and a monthly tea club. I would get three sample pouches a month and mix my own tea blends sometimes. They went out of business years ago but I'm still working my way through a giant bag of hibiscus and a small but potent bag of lavender. Sometimes I also buy dried rosebuds and chrysanthemums at Chinese markets and mix those with my black or oolong teas.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

LEFTENANT RIGHTIE posted:

So I too am just getting into teas, and I am dying to try lavender tea. I saw one from The Tea Spot, but what made me do a double take was the 'vanilla flavouring.' Should I be hitting the brakes or are added flavours normal in floral teas?

Lavender is a very strong scent/flavor and can easily be overpowering. If you've never tasted it before, you might want to try buying plain dried lavender and adding a tiny amount to an unflavored tea for starters. I have a 1 oz. bag that's lasted forever because a little bit goes a long way. That said, I think it's pretty good with black teas like breakfast blends and greys, but everything I've tried that already had lavender in it had way too much for my tastes.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
My mom always puts one bag of Yamamotoyama jasmine tea in a large mug of water and nukes it for two minutes, sweetens with one packet of Equal, leaves the bag in the cup, and inevitably forgets about it several times and reheats it. It's not how I prefer to have my tea, but that's what she likes. v:shobon:v

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Devi posted:

Is there a Trader Joe's near you? One of their winter items is a Tasting of Ten Teas. It's a pretty good variety and there's enough of each tea to get a good idea of if you like it or not. TJs also has a decent selection of bagged (and maybe loose) teas.

Welp. I know what I want for Christmas now. I haven't bought new tea in a while and most of those sound great.

I'm actually planning on blending my own chai tea to give out as Christmas gifts to some of my friends this year. I've managed pretty good results by just blending whatever black tea I had in the cupboard with whole/broken spices. Now I just need to scale up with better quality leaves and find cute gift tins. Also, be careful with how much clove you add. I love cloves and added a ton, and it made my mouth numb. Not a problem for me, but not something I would gift to people I like, unless they specifically asked.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Jhet posted:

I finally ordered one of those ingenuiTea things from Adagio, and it's pretty decent. I don't like that I can't get under the filter to clean through it completely, and sticking it in the dishwasher just tends to leave a bunch of water sitting in the thing. I'm using a sanitizing solution (from brewing stuff) to make sure it stays clean, but I can't see myself using this with a puerh or any smoked tea like lapsang souchong.

Yeah, that's always bugged me about the Ingenuitea. I love mine to death, but it definitely has its drawbacks over other brewing vessels. You can pop the mesh filter thing out, but the base doesn't come apart so water/tea can get trapped in there. I haven't had a problem with gunk getting in there, though. The dishwasher takes care of it pretty well. It's nice for making a quick cuppa, but I have a glazed ceramic tea pot with a metal infuser that's just as dishwasher-safe for anything that has a pungent flavor or scent. I made some chai that was heavy on star anise in my Ingenuitea once and it smelled like licorice for a week, even after a couple trips through the wash.

I used to french press most of my looseleaf tea because I didn't have anything else to brew with. It turns out fine and the only bad cups I've brewed were down to human error (one of my friends decided the plunger was a toy and just sat there pushing it up and down and made the most bitter genmai cha ever). The only problem is some models are a pain to clean. Mine has a wire mesh filter that can't be cleaned properly unless you take it all apart, so I don't tend to use it for anything other than coffee, which I only have on occasion. On the upside, I haven't had a problem with flavors from other brews screwing up whatever is being made currently, since it's all metal and glass.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Oh god no. I just spent $65 at Teabox earlier this week. I justified it to myself by saying my birthday is coming up.. but.. but.. :suicide:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Wandering Orange posted:

Here's one vote for the IngenuiTea from Adagio along with their Earl Gray Bravo (loose leaf). It is a bit of a gadget but I like it better than the basket strainers I have. Also, the Tattle Tea Earl Gray Black Tea on Amazon is decent but does not have as much bergamot flavor as Adagio's, for better or worse.

I have an IngenuiTEA that I really like too, but it can be a bit of a pain to clean sometimes, as liquid can get trapped inside. I haven't really used mine since I got this little glass teapot from IKEA: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40297848/

They also have a larger model here: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90150071/

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Yeah, I tend to just add dried jasmine flowers to my tea, so I can choose how floral to make it. Same with chrysanthemums, roses, and other flowers. I think I paid about $2 for 1.5oz of plain dried jasmine at a Chinese convenience store last time I bought tea there. Then a week later someone gave me a bag of the same stuff, from the same store, "in case your poo poo isn't floral enough". My friends know me so well. :j:

Then again, I'm not terribly picky and will also buy the little $2 tins of jasmine and oolong teas there because why not? More tea, more variety, and if it's terrible, I'm not out much money. Some of my favorite daily drinkers are cheap things I've found at Chinese and Vietnamese markets around here.

On a related note, I may have made a resolution to drink most of the tea I already have before buying more. Then my husband bought me tea for Christmas.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I make iced mint green tea pretty regularly and it's great. I brew mine hot and pour over ice, and add a bit of sugar though so your mileage may vary. Another thing you might like to try is adding a sprig of mint and/or a few lemon slices to a jug of iced tea and leaving it in the fridge like that. I usually make my sweet tea this way and it doesn't last long in my house..

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I bought a cheap gaiwan at a Vietnamese grocery store for less than $3. The ceramic is pretty thin and it gets really hot but it has pretty dragons on it! :downs:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Depends on how manky your water is?

A couple years ago I went to visit my mom, out in the sort-of-countryside, and she gets her water from a well. Even after filtering, it still had a very high mineral and sulfur content and it was nigh impossible to brew a cup that I liked the entire time I was there. Probably didn't help that the only way of boiling water was in the microwave, but I could deal with that if I just had decent water. I ended up using bottled water for nearly everything while I was there because the taste and smell really got to me. :sigh:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Munkaboo posted:

Is the only downside with microwave boiling lack of temperature control or is there another reason?

Eh, it was mostly just a minor annoyance because I'm used to having an electric kettle, and the only microwave-safe containers my mom had were mugs and bowls, basically. This is fine for her because she normally nukes a mug of water with a tea bag in it for exactly 2 minutes, sweetens with one pack of Equal, and calls it done. I much prefer pouring the water over the tea leaves/bags, and then allowing it to steep for however long.

Speaking of minor annoyances, I think my kettle bit the dust the other day. I just ordered another one on Amazon, but in the meantime I've been heating water in the coffee brewer, or a pyrex measuring cup in the microwave. It's not ideal, but it works. v:shobon:v

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
A friend of mine gave me a tin of tea recently and I'm honestly not sure what to make of it. It's called Pride of the Port from Mighty Leaf, and something about the name made it sound really enticing. I'm not sure how to describe what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't whatever this is. The tin says "bright red with floral and toasty notes" but it's more like someone roasted a vegetal, seaweedy green tea. On the upside it's not as astringent as most black teas, but drat. I don't even have anything against really vegetal greens, but this is something else. I don't dislike it enough to get rid of it or pawn it off on someone else, but I'm not really eager to brew a cup either. Here's hoping it works well for making some sort of floral blend, or something..

Good news is that Trader Joes now carries a looseleaf Earl Grey de la Creme that I like. The "creme" scent can be a bit overpowering but the flavor is quite nice. They also have a lemon mint green that's not too shabby. Probably would work really well for iced tea, but I haven't tried it cold yet.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

value-brand cereal posted:

Teavivre is doing a random draw for registered account members. I spun twice and got 2 six dollar gift cards. I haven't gotten the email to redeem them yet, but that's nice. It's until the 31st of June.

You can get:

6 dollar gift card
10 dollar gift card
20 dollar gift card
100 reward points
glass pot + 100 gram dian hong golden tip [tin]
award winning tea samples [tin]
fudling white tea cake 100 grams

https://www.teavivre.com/randomdraw/oneday

Looks neat, but mine seems to be broken. The wheel just spins forever and never stops, doesn't do anything when clicked, and never tells me if I won anything or not. I tried on Firefox and Chrome, but no dice. :saddowns:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Sometimes I make a black tea toddy.. thing. Very strong black tea, honey, lemon, and whiskey. Good for soothing a sore throat, or just relaxing on a cold day.

There's a craft cocktail place nearby that does a fizzy earl grey cocktail with gin. No idea what their recipe is since they batch it out and put it on tap, but maybe I could bug one of the guys and find out..

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

ulvir posted:

I use a few moomin cups, which strikes a perfect balance of size for me.

Ahh gently caress, now I'm gonna have to buy one of these for my husband for Christmas or something. He gets excited whenever we go to the Japanese supermarket because they have Moomin biscuits. :kimchi:

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hi tea thread. PYF tea cups/glasses/mugs preferably with links to buy them. I need more because standard big coffee mugs just don’t feel right for me.

Sorry, I don't have any online recommendations because I usually use big freakin' coffee cups for my daily drinking. :shobon: I do have a plethora of dainty little cups, but I usually pick them up at thrift stores or various Asian grocery stores. Hell, I have an entire matching set of plates, bowls, sauce dishes, tea cups, and a tea pot from a Chinese corner store. I got my cute but cheap little gaiwan that will burn your fingers at a Vietnamese supermarket for something like $2. I have god only knows how many dishes from Japanese markets, and a few tea tins too. Might be worth checking out, if you have anything similar in the area. Daiso and Muji are good spots to check out too, if you have those nearby.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I bought this cheap thing a year ago and it doesn't beep at all. There's a lot of mixed reviews on Amazon, but I use mine multiple times a day, almost every day, and have never had a problem with it. The controls are just kinda meh, but I drink a lot of black tea so I rarely futz with them.

You can also try searching Amazon for kettles with "no beep" in the search string. This particular brand seems to make two versions of this (and several other) kettles, with and without beep. That alone is enough to get my money.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
This is extremely relevant to my interests. Earl Grey is one of my favorite teas, but I've never tried making London Fog at home.

I have several Earl Greys in my stash right now and plenty of dried lavender, but without the milk frother I guess it's just.. London? :thunk:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

neogeo0823 posted:

I just got done with my first experiment on a cold London Fog. I don't have fancy equipment or premium ingredients, so I feel kinda bad bringing up the topic and then sharing lackluster results.

Nah, don't feel bad, you're doing science! Even bad results are a good learning tool, and it might help someone else avoid the same mistake. Or maybe someone else will follow your directions to the letter and find they really like the results? Who knows!

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I decided I was on a matcha kick for a bit, bought a bunch from Nijiya, then never even opened it. :j:

On the upside, I guess it won't go stale as quickly?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Go figure, I just scored a ton of free tea from work and then my kettle gives up the ghost. I made one cup of tea when I got home, and when I tried to make another a few hours later it would briefly turn on/light up, then nothing. It's supposed to have a two year warranty, and I happened to buy it exactly two years minus one day ago, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle for a cheap sub-$30 kettle. Plus it's an excuse to buy the cute ceramic kettle I've been eyeing on Amazon for like.. years.

:sigh:

Maybe it's just the boil-over protection being wonky, but I'm not holding out hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Good news everyone! My kettle didn't die, it was just the over-boil protection being wonky. Probably just splashed water on the sensor last night when I was making a cuppa.

Thankfully I held off on buying that other kettle I was looking at, but now I want to get it anyway.. :11tea:

e: no poo poo wait it's dying. Seemed to work fine when I got home, but now it's acting up again. Gonna buy that new kettle now, because even if this one does turn out to be fine I'm getting paranoid about using it.

Bees on Wheat fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 11, 2019