Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the last 33 pages, but is there a good place to get Japanese-style green teas (sentya, genmaitya, gyokuro, etc.)? I've ordered from Adagio since Dragonwater stopped selling most regular teas but man, I was in Kyoto and got some really good genmaitya and well... the stuff on Adagio is nothing like that.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I bought some of that stuff in San Francisco a couple years ago. It's almost like licorice.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

ulvir posted:

Good evening tea thread. I'm in the market for a proper teapot, but I'm kind of at a loss w/r/t all the options out there. I'm looking for something that's good to use interchangeably between types, everything from earl grey and herbal teas like spicy rooibos blends to green tea and hōjicha and so on. Now, I know that unglazed pots are bad for this since it will absorb the oils and tastes from steeping, so you'd want to have one pot for one specific tea, but other than that I'm at a complete loss. Should I get something with a filter/strainer or without? Would cast iron be best, or should I go with some fancy modern glass or stainless steel type thing? Or glazed ceramics/porcelain type teapot?

I'm going to be honest here -- I can't tell the difference. I'd get one with a filter/strainer because otherwise it'll be a hassle to make tea with it.