Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

So from what I can tell, are goons too elite for Adagio? :( Because I've been buying from them and have zero complaints about the quality of the tea (although I have little reference) and as a bonus, their stuff is fairly inexpensive. Do you guys think Adagio is at least good enough for becoming acquainted to all the different types of tea? It's hard to pass up $2 samples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

tirinal posted:

I don't know how you can call them fairly cheap if you compare them to something like Upton Teas.

I was referring more to the sample sizes. I found Upton's site ridiculously hard to navigate so maybe they really are cheaper and I'm too stupid to realize it, haha. Additionally though, Adagio's low shipping fee is what got me in the first place. I hate overpriced shipping, especially since I'm usually not buying a whole lot of tea.

And thanks for the validation, Durian :) you're right, I'm still in that period of learning what I like and dislike, so I guess I shouldn't feel bad about getting my stuff there.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Because you all inspired me to get into loose leaf tea, I thought I would post some pictures of the most interesting types of tea I have so far. The quality of the pictures isn't great but you can definitely see the unique qualities of each one. Sadly these are all from Adagio but they are pretty good to my as-yet-unrefined palate.

Golden Monkey
Just got this today. It smells slightly like my pu erh, which was a little off-putting, but the tea itself is fruity and light and delicious. Supposedly, it's one leaf/one bud whole leaf tea but I'm not sure I buy it.

Yunnan Gold
I have not tried this stuff yet but you all said that Yunnan blacks were good, so I have faith. Definitely looks like buds only, very velvety.

Genmai cha
I have only tried it once, and I think I may have brewed it too strong, but I didn't really like it. I wish I could chalk it up to Adagio being somewhat plebeian but I can't imagine they could mess up what is supposed to be "poor man's tea." Still, it was cool to open up the bag and see what looked like tiny popcorns in there :3:

Pu Erh Dante
The first time I smelled it, I liked it even though it is kind of stinky. When I tasted it, I found that it tastes better than it smells -- at least at first. In my humble opinion, this stuff has to be drunk while it is still very hot or else it gets really gross. Probably the weirdest thing about this tea, to me, is how super-dark the liquor gets. I did a double-take when I first poured it into my white teacup.

Gunpowder
Holy crap is this stuff good. I first tried it when a friend got it as a sampler and didn't like it, passing it off to me. It's seaweedy and stinky and awesome. I can get 3 good 2-minute brews out of one batch of leaves. I seriously love this tea, if I could take one kind of tea with me to a desert island it would be this one. If anyone has any suggestions for retailers who have a really good/cheap gunpowder, I am all ears.

Hummingbirds fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 8, 2011

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

aldantefax posted:

A couple of things you could try:
  • Shorten infusion time (less than 90sec)
  • Reduce tea quantity
  • Strain as you pour!
The last one is especially important, as fine particulate matter from the tea can make it extra bitter (some people like it like that, I do not). Next time I'll take a picture of the filter I use after a full session of steeping with the five dollar HIME Brand genmaicha that I used in the post I wrote about it a couple pages ago.

Thanks for the tips! I tried it again with a 90-sec infusion (had done 2 minutes the first time) and it's much better now. :woop:

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Devi posted:

I think I'm going to go to Adagio tomorrow since I'll be in the neighborhood and I'm ashamed of not visiting it earlier. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've been drinking coconut tea and it's very nice. So I got some light coconut milk thinking that this would be awesome. It's...not bad. A little better with some sweetener. But not mind-blowing like I expected. I should have just added honey since a little bit of honey has made every tea I've tried it with so much better. And I never used to like honey in tea.

The jasmine chun hao is very light and floral, and all of their fruit-flavored blacks are good if you're into that kind of thing. I also really like their darjeeling #22 but I am positive there are way better places to get a darjeeling. Also, I love the gunpowder but again, there are probably better/cheaper retailers for that.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

KarmaticStylee posted:

I've checked out a few of the sites in the OP and I feel overwhelmed by the amount of options. So far, I really like basic green tea and avoid anything that is "sweet". Is there a good, everyday green tea that is recommended?

I drink ~4 cups a day if shelf-life vs. quantity matters.

Gunpowder! Cheap and delicious, not sweet at all. You can also resteep it several times, so if you're drinking a lot, it's very cost-effective.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Manuel Calavera posted:

Any Rooibos you recommend in particular? I think those are the ones with the most caffeine, right? I need to get tea sometime in the future, I started drinking mine again. It's a year or two old, but still good. And it will disappear at some point.

Rooibos has no caffeine, are you thinking of mate?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Personally I like teapots with infuser baskets because they're really simple and clean to use (and don't seem to affect flavor negatively if the pot is filled), but it might be blasphemy to suggest something that's not loose-brewing. However if that's something that interests you, this is pretty cheap, although it may not be fancy enough. The rest of Adagio's teapots are pretty cheap as well although not all of them come with infuser baskets.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

This also is a bit over your budget but I just got it and really like it so far. It is accurate to +/- 2 degrees by my measurements.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Just so everyone knows, Teavana is having a 30%-70% sale on some teas right now, there are a lot of blends available for like $2 for 2 ounces. I think I spent ~$14 and got five different kinds of tea and a few free samples I'd accrued over time and never ordered.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Not sure, but it says the sales are for discontinued teas so I'd assume so. I don't usually shop there.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Hawkgirl posted:

I know I just made this recommendation myself, but has anyone tried the herbal tisanes from Adagio? I have their peppermint tea and it is great. I'm a little interested in their fruity blends. I get home late on weekdays and caffeine really fucks up my sleep, so I don't get to enjoy tea as much as I'd like. :(

I think I tried the blood orange and it was delicious. So is wild strawberry. As long as we're talking caffeine-free, the honeybush mango is the best flavored rooibos I've had.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

dik-dik posted:

Good to know! Earlier today I managed to do the same thing to some green tea I was brewing and I was worried that I'd started going crazy or something.

Maybe my thermometer isn't as accurate as I'd thought. The tea came with directions to brew at 180F, and I think my thermometer was reading about 178 when I poured it over the tea. Or maybe I shouldn't have preheated the pot, and the tea got burnt when I put the leaves in the pot. Are you only supposed to preheat the pot for black tea? (I'd never brewed loose leaf green tea before today).

Ninja edit: It was the Upton First Grade Gunpowder Green by the way.

Every gunpowder I've tried has a seaweedy "fishy" taste. If you really think something went wrong you could try steeping at a lower temperature or for a shorter time. As for pre-heating, I'm pretty sure it's a good idea to always do that.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

aldantefax posted:

!?

Gunpowders are quite strong and planty but they should never have flavor profiles like that unless they were rotten or way far overcooked (the flavor is common to badly kept puerh, for example).

A guy I know likes doing it in the touareg style where he uses freshly crushed mint with the gunpowder for. I'd consider starting from a boil and letting the water cool off for awhile if your leaves getting roasted at what your thermometer reads as 178.

It's not at all unpleasant, I guess "spinachy" would be a more palatable way to describe it.

I know the second suggestion wasn't directed towards me but gosh that sounds good. Wonder if catnip would work, as that's the only plant in the mint family I've ever had success in growing.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Just wanted to tell you guys about a discovery I made. I know people have been drinking hot toddys forever, but I had some Kraken spiced rum that is a bit too flavorful for me to stand on its own. Tonight I made some chai with milk and sugar and this vanilla-extract rum actually tastes pretty good with that. Makes sense though, spiced tea and spiced rum. Probably would be even better with a light spiced rum.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Forumpost posted:

I've been drinking a lot more black tea at work now that I bought a good water heater that can actually get water to boiling, I bought some of this:

http://www.adagio.com/black/golden_monkey.html?SID=4ac0b79c00358a4f5a82318691951f35

And it's fantastic. Has anyone tried this tea or have other black teas to recommend based on it?

Sorry for not replying sooner, I have that tea and since you're already buying adagio, their darjeeling #22 (I believe it's a second flush but could be wrong) has that same muscat taste but it's a bit milder than the Golden Monkey.

I love this darjeeling but if you are going to buy some, go for Upton, I bet it's better.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

If I want to make iced tea from herbal or rooibos leaves, can I brew it hot and then chill? I mostly want to avoid having to use 2x leaves for cold brewing.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks. I was checking because I seem to remember people in this thread saying "always cold brew black tea if you are icing it."

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

:siren:Teavana has free shipping today!! Use code TREATYOURSELF:siren:

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Cizzo posted:

I really want to think this is a Parks and Recreation Tom Haverford reference.

http://tomhaverfoods.com/

I bought four ounces of peach oolong for ~$5 bucks!

e: not from Tom Haverfoods, Teavana.

Hummingbirds fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 15, 2012

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

enthe0s posted:

So I got into tea a couple of weeks ago thanks to one of my friends and I bought a few different types of tea to try and learn what I like and don't like. However, I would like to greatly speed up the process of trying all the different "styles" of tea (not really sure what term to use), so are there any "standard" teas I should try? That is to say, can I get recommendations for tea that exemplify a certain type of tea so I can see if I would like that kind in general?

So far, I've tried a darjeeling, an oolong, and a green tea. I love the darjeeling, don't really like or hate the oolong, and find myself disliking the green tea, but mainly because I get a lot of "sediment" (once again, not sure what term to use here) when the more fine particles get through the strainer. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth for some reason.

I would really like a different darjeeling to try along with some different styles I haven't tried yet experienced, so any sort of direction would be appreciated :)

You might like a yunnan gold or Adagio's golden monkey; to me they have a similar character to Darjeeling although the flavor is not as delicate.

Don't discount green tea so quickly -- in my opinion it is the hardest to brew correctly. What temp/time did you brew it at? As for the sediment, maybe go for something with less dust (perhaps jasmine pearl?)

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Etrips posted:

Any recommendations on a water heater / kettle thing to get perfect temperature waters?

It's a little expensive but I have this and love it.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

pork never goes bad posted:

Try http://www.lifeinteacup.com/

They do free samples where you pay about $3 for shipping and get around an ounce of great tea, about 7-8 grams of three different kinds.

AHHH thank you!! I just got to try ti guan yin for the first time because of this. Here I was, thinking I didn't like oolong very much. drat. And I'm only on the first infusion.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Wedemeyer posted:

Milk with tea tastes like Yuck and Gross had a baby. How can I enjoy milk with my tea? Is there a trick like add more sugar? Maybe the problem is that I'm using two percent milk....

Try chai, in America at least it's typically drunk with milk (because it would be terribly bitter/spicy otherwise).

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Fryhtaning posted:

I was thinking of trying out a bunch of samples from a few places, but I thought I'd see if there were any goon recommendations first. I love the Golden Monkey (black) and the Phoenix Mountain Dan Cong (oolong) from Teavana, and pretty much everything else there tastes weak or fruity to me. Any good specific or general recommendations based on that?

Recommending a darjeeling if you've never tried one. :)

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I don't know what your budget is like so I thought I'd throw in a suggestion for Tea Forte. It is the best bagged tea I've ever had, but is pretty pricey (I received a huge box of it as an xmas gift last year or else I never would have tried it).

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Japanese tea ceremony, kombucha, tea leaf reading(?)

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Wedemeyer posted:

Speaking of things with strong smells, is honeybush tea supposed to smell like pickles/rubber? It's so overpowering I can't even taste the tea.

...It should not. It should be mildly grassy and a little sweet. I think you got some bad tea.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I use a cheap insulated coffee cup for taking tea to class but this is a great all-purpose bottle that I usually use for ice water, but it keeps tea hot for hours.

As an aside, $20 might seem excessive for a simple thermos like that but it's lasted me 3 years, so.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Orange blossom? Don't know if it's available where you live but it's pretty light. Grew up with that stuff as I'm in Florida.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I like green tea plain (with perhaps a pinch of sugar if it's a tart fruit-flavored green) and black tea with some sugar. No milk unless I accidentally overbrew it. But generally I'm of the opinion that people should drink tea however they want to drink it! :)

e: for nice black teas like darjeeling, I don't add sugar.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

d6r9b posted:

Or should i just stick to an electric kettle with a temperature setting?

I will never stop recommending this:

Please don't get her a kettle that she has to brew 1L of tea in if she wants to use it. I've been using the stainless steel cuisinart for a year now with no complaints whatsoever.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

bewbies posted:

apologies if this has been asked or discussed recently...

I am tearing out my hair trying to figure out genmaicha. I have tried toasting several different rice types several different ways but I cannot get the that great flavor like I've had at restaurants. any help, or should I just buy some?

Buy some, it's super cheap. Genmaicha evolved as a way to stretch out one's tea supply so it's cheap by nature.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

You could try some citrus-flavored rooibos? I got something like that at a teavana sale (think it was called lemon lime kampai) and it was pretty decent even though I'm usually a black/green drinker. No caffeine either.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I usually brew white teas at 185 and I've never had them come out badly.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Molten Llama posted:

If anybody else is interested, Verdant Tea's currently running a 5 for $5 special for new customers.

Five bucks gets you 10 gram samples of their Laoshan Black, Laoshan Green, Hand Picked Tieguanyin, Yunnan White Jasmine, and Shui Jin Gui Wuyi Oolong. USPS shipping and a $5 coupon are included in the price.

I've been receiving their newsletter for about a year but never bought anything because I couldn't make a decision (or it sold out before i did). Five teas for no dollars and no choices to make was an easy sell.

Hell yeah, thanks for this.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Mizufusion posted:

I got mine yesterday morning and so far I've only tried the tieguanyin. It's pretty good, but I don't think I used nearly enough for my pot. One of these days I'll get some sort of scale and actually measure my teas properly.

The only thing I've tried of my Verdant samples was the Yunnan white jasmine and drat, it is good. I am absolutely going to buy some. It's so perfectly floral and sweet and smells amazing.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

DanManIt posted:

Just a tip for anyone looking for good ways to store their tea: use small mason jars. For like $8 you can get a dozen at any hardware store. They look nice enough and do a great job of keeping your tea in good condition

If you go through tea really really fast, I could see that working, but I seem to recall it's not a good idea to expose tea to light more than necessary. Just a word of caution.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Swagger Dagger posted:

I'm drinking Verdant's Laoshan Black and there are just a ton of tasting notes on the website that I'm not getting at all. I followed their instructions to the letter (just boiling water, 3 minutes), but I'm just not getting any of the flavors it mentions.

I like the tea a lot but there's no chocolate or malt or whatever. It definitely has a honey smell but nothing's coming through to the actual taste. Is my palette just bad, are their instructions bad, am I loving something else up?

I don't have any advice but I honestly thought the Laoshan Black was absolute poo poo. After trying the amazing incredible wonderful Yunnan white jasmine, it was sort of a shock. And black tea is my favorite, this is the first time I've ever outright disliked a black tea.

Maybe I got a bad batch.

edit: This came off way more confrontational than I intended, I don't mean to demean your tastes. If anything I'm disappointed in my own taste irt the laoshan black.

Hummingbirds fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Lady Truck Driver posted:

I got several teas from Verdant during their sale and the Laoshan Black is my least favorite so far. I really wanted it to taste like cookies, but it was just malty and weird. I'm more of a green tea person anyway, and I, too, am bad at pulling out the listed "tastes", so maybe those has something to do with it. The ones I like the best from them so far are the Laoshan Green, the Zhu Rong Yunnan Black, and the Sun Dried Jingshan Green. The Silver Buds Yabao tastes like almost nothing to me - very faintly tea-flavored tap water.

I like the Yunnan White Jasmine too, but I could only steep it once and get any flavor out of it. It's a white tea, and I'm not experienced with those, so maybe that's why? I followed the directions on the website, heating the water it until the small bubbles came up in the electric kettle and steeping it for 2 minutes, but I brewed it an extra 30 seconds for the second infusion at the same temperature and it just tasted like weak tea. What did I do wrong?

I can get 3 infusions out of the yunnan white jasmine. Have you tried using a thermometer to see what temp the kettle actually is when you pour the water? I have one of those Cuisinart heaters, its "white" setting is at 185 F. If your water is significantly less than that I could see there being a problem.