Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Glad to find a tea thread here, never thought of looking. I'm currently in a tea frenzy and can't stop drinking the stuff. Currently am into oolongs (taiwanese ones mostly), but I finally managed to enjoy black tea. Turns out I like it when it's steeped for only a short time (around 1 minute)

Also, I just tried an aged oolongs, anyone else drank that before? I'm still not sure if it's something I'll want to buy again, but I'm not hating it at all up to now. It's smells like wood and may be leather. It's so weird.

I just want to add a nice word for my favorite tea house ( http://camellia-sinensis.com/en/ ) which has free shipping in Canada/US on order over 40$ I think. Great collection of teas and tea accessories. They have a lot of info on all of their tea and you often can see pictures of the gardens/producers which I think is neat.

They have a nice variety of both everyday tea and some stupidly expensive one. You guys should take a look! Oh and if you're in Quebec or Montreal actually go buy tea in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

aldantefax posted:

I have a 2002 alishan that I've been enjoying at home (a bit too expensive to cart around). The roasting style is suitable for long term storage and overall it's much more mellow but has that toasty feeling.

How do they compare to pu erh? I Think they are completely different since they are roasted?

That's the one I got : http://camellia-sinensis.com/en/tea/mucha-tie-guan-yin-1994

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

DurianGray posted:

Oh, wow. Is it very humid where you live?

I would make absolutely sure that it's not moldy or anything first. Check all of it carefully; half a pound is a lot of tea. You could try drying it out somehow if it looks OK, and then put it in a better container.

I would err on the side of caution, of course. Any chance that it looks or smells like it shouldn't other than being a bit damp and I wouldn't want to drink it, personally.

Yeah I'd be cautious... If it wasn't so much tea I'd just throw it away without even thinking, but it's a lot of tea so may be you could try to place it on a baking sheet or something to make sure there's no mold and may be try to re-dry it I don't know. I'd probably still end up throwing it away because I somehow doubt it's still going to be good but may be my intuition is wrong.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

DJ BK posted:

I'm looking for suggestions to replace my 5th tea ball. I've tried several from amazon, one from target, and none have held up to constant use. I use a medium sized ceramic tea pot, add boiling water. I don't mind some floaties, but I'd like something that will last. These 5 dollar balls aren't cutting it.

I'm wary of anything plastic, but I'm open to anything besides the single mug tea spoons. Thanks guys.

yeah, go with mug infusers. Most options will be fine. My girlfriend has a David's tea one and it's extremely well made, much better than my lovely mesh one. (it's like the first link of the poster above, mine is like is second link. Get the first one if you can afford it)

Also, a mug infuser will give more space for your tea to expand which is great for some teas.