Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The Ingenuitea is nice and all, but I'd recommend an in-cup strainer over one of those. I find it easier to clean up and there's pretty much no mess, and if you buy a good one it will last a long time. And you don't need to worry about the dripping since they usually come with some type of cover that you can invert on your desk and place the strainer on after you're finished. Then shake out the leaves and manually remove the stragglers and rinse. Or you can be more lazy with the cleaning like me. They're only good for 1 cup though (unless you buy a kettle).

I recently bought one of these and it works but lets finer particles through (a few mint leaves for example), and I've used this one previously for a while but the plastic and fine mesh got a bit grody after a while.

And speaking of Oolongs, are they supposed to have a kind of roasty flavor? The one I bought reminds me of some Genmaicha I had previously. And do you find you need a bit more (by volume) than a standard black tea? It's been kind of anemic the times I've made it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

To be fair, steeping for long times is how the russians make tea, so it's not guaranteed to make a bad cup. But then again, I think they use black tea and they dilute it afterwards. I think the turks do it the same way too, plus they've got the cutest cups.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anybody have a favorite lapsang souchong? I like mixing a little bit into other teas for a slight smokiness kind of like russian caravan (I've been putting some in my turkish tea). Occasionally I'll have a cup 'O smoke by itself. The stuff I got was mystery brand from the bulk bin at my local hippy grocery store, so I don't know who made it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

They don't use the same type of enamel the Le Creuset type enameled cast iron stuff does? That enamel is stovetop safe. But I guess they could use a different type, I have no idea.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Make sure the water is boiling pretty well if it's a black tea, too. And maybe add another minute onto it. I've had a chocolate tea previously and it didn't really taste like a chocolate bar. The taste was a little bit different, more nutty and less dark. Still good, though.

Question of my own: what's your guys's favorite mate? I've been drinking a lot of the 'yerb recently, but I'd like to see if there's something different/better. I buy an organic mate in bulk at the grocery for $7 a lb, but I have no idea who makes the mate. It's slightly smoky which I like, and is a bit dusty and has some stems. I brew it using a tea filter instead of a bombilla/gourd.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The strainer part looks good, but a glass one is not going to be as good as the metal ones. The metal vacuum flasks will keep the drinks hotter longer and probably last longer as well. Unfortunately, it looks like the one I bought a while ago (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermos-12-...rds=tea+tumbler) is insanely expensive (£32). I got mine for a more reasonable ~$20 US. Other than the Nissan one, I know Teavana makes a metal tea tumbler, and also zojirushi, but I don't know where to get those in the UK. Maybe try looking at the big tea selling sites for the UK? They might have some branded one or something. Although if you can deal with the glass one getting cold faster it looks like it would work pretty well.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mmm11105 posted:

I'm just getting into tea, have currently mostly tried greens, and am looking to try out some of the different varieties of teas. I'm planning on just ordering a bunch of sample sizes from adagio, any particular teas you guys really like from there that I should try?

I remember having their Irish Breakfast and enjoying it a lot. It was a while ago though (like 4 years), so it may have changed since then. It's a blend of Ceylon and Assam. I think people usually take it with milk, but I just drink it straight. You could also try just plain assam, which I find favorable. If you want to go really out there, it looks like they have lapsang souchong, which is a black tea smoked over pine fires.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I picked up a box of Guayusa teabags from a local health food store (Stash brand). It's pretty interesting I think. It's not as bitter as Yerba Mate, which I think it's related to. It's apparently hard to over-steep since it doesn't have a lot of the bitter stuff regular tea and mate does. I remember it having the kind of squashy fall flavors that the yerb had but not the roasty flavors. I'd say it's unique. If you got the Runa drink, I think they also sell loose leaf and bagged Guayusa. Mine is Stash tea, and I haven't heard of any others that sell Guayusa.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Hummingbirds posted:

That reminds me, I recently got some surprisingly decent jasmine green at the local Asian market. It was like $4 for 200 g or something crazy.

Was it that yellow tin with french on it? "Thé au jasmin"

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Ha no, I bought some a long time ago and enjoyed it. I just like the tin.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I bought a big thing of Alokozay "Vietnam Loose" green tea a while back. I've really grown to like it a lot, it's got a chocolatey flavor, it was very evident when I put some honey in it once. Are other teas grown in vietnam like that? Maybe there are a bunch of twigs in it or something, or maybe it's roasted. I just want to get something similar when this runs out/gets stale.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Maybe the type of tea is more prone to over-steeping? I know the turks also do something similar, they make a tea concentrate and then dilute it in the serving vessel. Perhaps use some turkish tea as the base tea.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

It really depends on what tea it is (I know the most unhelpful post ever). I think where it came from on the tea bush and what stage it was picked at are most important.

For example, I've had a black tea that was absolutely too much for me (couldn't sleep, gave me anxiety), and I've had black teas not do too much to me. It's really dependent on the specific tea you get. I will say that I'm sensitive to caffeine though so I can really only do like 1 good mug of tea before it's too much. I get half decaf/half regular when I drink coffee because otherwise I just turn into a mess.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For gooseneck kettles, I got the oxo one a while back (https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Adjustable-Temperature-Electric-Pour-Over/dp/B074KHPS7F). 50% more expensive, and I bought it mostly for aesthetic reasons. I have no idea if one will perform better (either temperature accuracy, kettle power, or convenience features).

I will say though that the oxo kettle made the lights in my apartment visibly flicker when it was boiling, but that may be more of an indictment of my apartment's electrical wiring than anything. I think it used a pulse-width modulation scheme (basically turning on/off the element to full power) to adjust the heating element power when it neared the temperature. I bought it for my work office though and there it's not been an issue, but I just wanted to make that note. It could be that other gooseneck kettles do that and it's only noticeable because the mains in my apartment is not up to the task.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I wonder if you could do a really quick rinse? Like just splash with your hot water to get out most of the fine stuff and let it expand a little, pour out the rinse water, then steep.

It may not work super well with finely cut teas, you may lose some of the flavor because they’re quick steeping.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anybody have a preferred place to get loose leaf chamomile? I've been drinking some before bed but I'd like to get some high quality loose tea to drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I took a hiatus from tea drinking, but I'd have 2.5g in my gaiwan daily and that did it for me. I think I'm pretty sensitive, if I drink a full cup of coffee I'm jittery and super anxious. When I first started grad school I didn't realize this so I had horrible anxiety when I was drinking tea and getting cups of good coffee from the cafe.