Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

jisforjosh posted:

Rather than look at biggest losses I decided to find what movie made back the smallest portion of its budget.Cutthroat Island, while having the highest net loss after inflation adjustment, made back 16% of the budget.

I give you Revolution a 1985 drama set in the American Revolution starring Al Pacino and Donald Sutherland. It holds an 8% on RT but the money numbers are what makes it for me.The movie cost $28 million but only took in $358,574 at the box office meaning it only recouped 1.3% of its budget.

Revolution was such a disaster that Pacino didn't make another movie for 4 years.

redjenova posted:

The Last Airbender was simply appalling. I've never seen such flagrant disregard for basic film editing rules (like dont make every high paced action scene a ten minute long unbroken leisurely single shot).

I dunno, that sounds like it could be pretty killer if it's executed right. Obviously it wasn't, but part of me wants to give him credit for trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
I loved The Shadow when I was a kid. The movie really came along at the perfect time for me, because I was a 9-year old who loved Batman: The Animated Series and it sorta had a similar vibe but with PG-13 violence. The Shadow was just an incredibly cool hero, with the silver .45s and his huge beak extending past the red mask. I haven't seen it since then but I remember it pretty decently. That cheesy flying knife was pretty scary to me, especially when it bit Alec Baldwin while he was holding it. I'm watching the trailer now and the production values still look great. I also remember some pretty energetic camera work in that movie.

A few years later I ended up flipping through some of the Sienkiewicz & Baker Shadow comics from the 80s and was... unsettled by their content, to say the least.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Forty posted:

Not to beat a dead horse, but if we're talking about bad movies that are also landmarks in lesbian cinema, look no further than The Watermelon Woman:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118125/

Prominent black lesbian feminist Cheryl Dunye plays herself as she tries to investigate the life an unnamed black actress from the 30's credited as "The Watermelon Woman" who played "mammie" characters in old films. At the same time, she starts a relationship with a white woman.

Where do I begin? This movie is beyond amateur. The delivery of every line is miserably wooden. The editing is atrocious. The writing is cheesy beyond belief. The humor is unbelievably forced. For every way you can think a movie could suck, The Watermelon Woman sucks in that way. I'm not even going to get into the "plot", but, suffice to say, it's resolved in the laziest, shittiest way possible: Cheryl just loving gives up on figuring out more about the Watermelon Woman after encountering minor obstacles and dumps her new girlfriend offscreen, then explains this to the camera. Fin!

I could forgive all this, though, if the movie gave me any reason to believe its makers cared about it just a little. But, apparently not! There are scenes in the FINAL CUT (the version I had to watch on DVD for a class, at least) where the actresses noticeably flub their lines and just keep on going. I can't begin to imagine how anyone thought it would be a good idea to keep those scenes in.

This is all such a shame, because (could be wrong about this) The Watermelon Woman is one of the first movies made by and for women of color. It feels like a waste for such a watershed moment to be wasted on such unprofessional crap.

That's an interesting writeup of a movie I didn't know about. I kinda want to see it now.

• Locked thread