Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

I followed the last thread and I am really keen on making my own pancetta. However I live in the UK and can't seem to find curing salt anywhere. I asked a couple of butchers and they don't sell it. Googling "pink salt" just brings up a load of Jamie Oliver recommended himalayan posh salt. Am I right in thinking what I actually want is sodium nitrate? Information I have found indicates there is more than one type of "curing salt." Can any UK goons help point me in the right direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It goes under a lot of names. It seems Prague Powder #1 (for quick cures of less than 2 weeks) is the name they like over there.

edit: gently caress that here is the UK version of SausageMaker

Thanks so much! I didn't want to just get something when I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for. I had visions of us ending up in ER from eating poorly cured bacon.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Jose posted:

For those who smoke in the UK, do you have a good source of different woods for smoking?

I have only just started smoking stuff since I found out in the other thread that I don't need to buy anything fancy and I can just use my bbq. I bought a big bag of Jack Daniels barrel chips from Waitrose and some hickory and apple chips from Lakeland. I am considering placing an order with these people when I run out as they have more variety and are cheaper than Lakeland. But I haven't ordered from them yet so I can't vouch for their customer service etc.

• Locked thread