Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Welcome friends to MBMBaBM an advice show for the modern era.

What is it?
MbMbam is a podcast on the Maximum Fun network, where three brothers take solicited questions from listeners like you, and unsolicited questions from yahoo answers. Generally they mix jokes with actual honest-to-goodness advice for the questions by their listeners, and just go all out balls-to-the-wall crazy for the yahoo answers. Yahoos are almost always questions like "Is it extraordinary I talk with a British accent?" "What are some good warrior names for my cats?" and "Will you for 300,000 dollars or pounds sit on a skull?(Ladies only)". While the listener submitted questions, are more along the lines of things you see in e/n.

Who are these people?

Griffin McElroy
Griffin is the brother most likely to posit outlandish situations and make jokes. He is the youngest brother, and currently lives in Austin, TX. Griffin is the least experienced in relationships, as every time the question comes up, he's single.

Travis McElroy
Travis is the middle brother, and the one most likely to give honest to goodness advice. This does not mean he shys away from jokes, when they present themselves, however. He works as a Stage Carpenter in Cincinnati, OH. He is the 2nd most experienced in relationships as he is currently in a living together arrangment. He is the only brother to not attend Marshall University, instead choosing to go to University of Oklahoma. Travis is also known for his luxuriant facial hair.

Justin McElroy
Justin McElroy, the eldest brother, strikes a balance between Travis and Griffin being equally likely to make light of a situation and give it help. He is an editor for Joystiq, and the only brother still residing in their hometown of Huntington, WV. Justin is the most experienced in relationships being married.

Okay, where should I start?
If you just want to see if the McElroy brothers humor is right for you, visit their sampler. This is important as they have a somewhat specific brand of humor, but if you can get into it, there is pretty much no bad episode of the podcast.

If you're looking for a full-length episode of the podcast, try Spaghttagedon as it gets into its rhythm very quickly.

Alright I have this problem you see my girlfriend just threw my cat at me, and there's this girl I like at work and I'm not sure if she likes me back, and I can't go to e/n because I'm afraid of FYAD, and I have a toenail fetish and I think I'm a car and...
Woah there cowboy, don't talk to me, talk to the McElroys, email them your question, at mbmbam@maximumfun.org, or if you can fit your question into 141 characters or less and don't mind not being completely anonymous, you can also shoot them a twitter with #mbmbam, and they'll help you out.

So I was looking through Yahoo Answers, and I found this really weird question...
Well, don't be selfish! Share with us by telling the McElroys! See above for contact info.

Hey I just found $100 lying on the ground and I want to support the show. What do I do?
Well you could exchange that money for advertising on MBMBaM's Jumbotron, or as they call it the money zone. The money zone is where you go if you want to announce an anniversary or wish someone a happy birthday, or for some extra dough, your new company. Griffin used to do jingles for all money zone requests, but now only does so for the commercial ones.
It costs $100 for non-commercial; $200 for commercial.

Other Podcasts
This thread has gradually shifted over into discussing the McElroy brothers' other podcasts as well as this one; courtesy of Glitterbomber they are:

In Case of Emergency- Travis, along with Jeremy Dubin, and Miranda McGee ready their listeners for such common emergency situations as 'Witches' 'Boogymen' and 'Body Swap'. Released every Tuesday they have a light hearted look at paranormal happenings and super worst case scenarios, focusing on identifying, overcoming, and living after the event.

Satellite Dish- Justin and his wife Sidney Sydnee watch TV and hate themselves for it. A broad podcast that covers pretty much anything terrible on TV, they often wind up either fighting over a show they're discussing or simply lamenting their horrible choices. Sometimes they get lucky and find something like Doomsday Preppers which is easy to simply laugh at and mock, but usually it's a loving couple hurting their brains with TV for your amusement. {Note: on hiatus till mid-April when Sydnee gets back from Africa.}

Vox Games - The Besties- Griffin and Justin, along with Chris Plante and Russ Frushtick each pick one game out in the last week or so, and state their cases why their game is the best game of the year ever week. With such fine choices as SSX because it lets you race your ghost dad who now lives forever in your game, or Journey for bringing peace to Israel and Palestine at last, I can't imagine taking anyone else's recommendations.

Links
http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/my-brother-my-brother-and-me
mbmbam@maximumfun.org [email]
Jumbotron@maximumfun.org [Use if you want to get on moneyzone]
http://twitter.com/!#/MBMBaM

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
Back when I first heard this podcast, and for the longest time, I had never seen how they actually looked like, so I thought Justin was a flamboyant skinny black man with a large curly puffy afro in a bright sky-blue t-shirt, Travis was a slightly larger, slightly less flamboyant black man with a darker t-shirt and a similar curly puffy afro, and Griffin was a white dude guy with a baseball cap and a white t-shirt. for some reason.

The humor is definitely in the right place if you love non-contrived non-sequiturs and the certain kind of ridiculous that doesn't stale because they know when to keep it real and not go overboard.

On note of where to start, it's really hard to say because almost all the episodes are consistent enough in quality that picking a favorite is hard. The first one I ever listened to was #28: The Bagel Bite Tree And The Shemale Kitten which somehow got me to keep listening to the rest, and is also a great title that sums up the kind of stupid to expect so v:downs:v

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
This is the show that got me into listening to Podcasts. I actually started on Spaghettagedon because it was the newest epsiode at the time, and I haven't looked back since. It reminds me of conversations between my friends and me.

There are times when it lulls, or when they don't really have good-quality questions or Yahoos to make enough jokes about, but the last few weeks have been absolutely stellar.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
MBMBAM is one of my favourite podcasts.
It's also probably the only podcast I have listened to that made me love the adverts, since Griffin would do impromptu songs and jingles for them leading to great ones where he would forget to sing about the actual product or service he was advertising like Griffin Space Jam.
It's a shame they don't really do the jingles any more and just talk about what they are plugging instead.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I've had a lot of people tell me I should listen to this. Never did because I thought I'd hate it, but I gave the sampler and a little bit of show #72 a shot and now I like it.

Didn't finish show 72 cause I got worried that it would get too insidery and have jokes I wouldn't get but whoever was running the MBMBAM twitter account that day told me it doesn't do that and I could jump into the show at anytime. I'm just going to start from the beginning.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
My personal recommendation would be whichever episode had the names for warrior cats. They have one of the only podcast that make me actually laugh out loud (compared to the number of times that people say LOL and do not actually mean it) the most recent live episode was awesome but the sound quality was pretty poor.

Does anybody get the feeling that they watch a lot of Tim and Eric? They sometimes start using that tone of voice and way of speaking that Eric Wareheim uses in a lot of their sketches. I have heard people say that one of them (I forget which) tries too hard to sound like Seth from UYD but I can't really hear it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Behold! A Elk! posted:

My personal recommendation would be whichever episode had the names for warrior cats. They have one of the only podcast that make me actually laugh out loud (compared to the number of times that people say LOL and do not actually mean it) the most recent live episode was awesome but the sound quality was pretty poor.

The Warrior Cat episode is called "Bramblepelt", and here it is mashed up with the Poké-rap.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

SpacePig posted:

The Warrior Cat episode is called "Bramblepelt", and here it is mashed up with the Poké-rap.
Oh my god this is incredible.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009

SpacePig posted:

I can't believe I forgot the name. Also this is a beautiful thing you have posted. A hearty thanks at you!

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
MBMBaM is one of the only podcasts I still make time for now that I don't have 10 hours a week to kill with them. I listened to Spaghettagedon first and fell in love with it right away, so I can *nth* that suggestion as a starting point. I quickly went through the older episodes and now every monday I'm always psyched to hear the new one.

sockpuppetclock posted:

Back when I first heard this podcast, and for the longest time, I had never seen how they actually looked like, so I thought Justin was a flamboyant skinny black man with a large curly puffy afro in a bright sky-blue t-shirt, Travis was a slightly larger, slightly less flamboyant black man with a darker t-shirt and a similar curly puffy afro, and Griffin was a white dude guy with a baseball cap and a white t-shirt. for some reason.
this is the most absurd goddamn thing and I wish it was true

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Pray that you get the opportunity to see MBMBAM perform live, because it's an incredible experience.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009

Song For The Deaf posted:

Pray that you get the opportunity to see MBMBAM perform live, because it's an incredible experience.

I swear I actually heard one of them mention TDRK on an episode once. Are you guys bros?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
They did mention TDRK and my other podcast on an episode this spring, and I nearly had a stroke, I was so excited. I'd bothered Justin enough on Twitter that he gave the show a listen, and included my shows in the shootouts section.

Alternate Answer: There's a dedicated forum where brother-oriented podcasts discuss the craft.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009

Song For The Deaf posted:

They did mention TDRK and my other podcast on an episode this spring, and I nearly had a stroke, I was so excited. I'd bothered Justin enough on Twitter that he gave the show a listen, and included my shows in the shootouts section.

Alternate Answer: There's a dedicated forum where brother-oriented podcasts discuss the craft.

I wish I had a brother. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mldDHI9l1v8

edit: I feel like I was hurting the thread by posting a barely related video so how about I take an attempt to keep things going. What was everybody's favorite yahoo answer. Mine is of course still warrior cat names.

Behold! A Elk! fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 22, 2011

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Probably my favorite podcast. It's not that rare for me to laugh out loud at a podcast even if I'm listening alone, but I nearly lost control of my car when I heard the warrior cats thing. TROUTLEAP!

Snappy Zings
Feb 19, 2003
I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID TO DO A SIMPLE SEARCH OF THE FORUMS.
Went to high school with all these dudes. Always the funniest in class. Their father (used to?) work at a local radio station and write the back page of the Huntington Quarterly, and has almost the same sense of humor.

MBMBAM is one of my favorite podcasts, right up there with JRE and the Tobolowsky Files. Laughter every time, doubly so since I knew them from school. Kudos to them for their success :)

FACT: Travis McElroy played Ren McCormick in a high school drama club adaptation of Footloose.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I loved this week's episode, but now my brain is going crazy trying to remember, which one was the one where the dude wanted to seal his farts in a jar, and they had a big joke about the LHC being outshined by it somehow?

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
This is a pretty awesome podcast but every time Justin says "Modren" a vessel bursts in my head. Why does he insist on saying it like that?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Jeff Wiiver posted:

This is a pretty awesome podcast but every time Justin says "Modren" a vessel bursts in my head. Why does he insist on saying it like that?

As far as I know, it's because he said it for the first few shows, get yelled at on Twitter, and continued to do it because it makes people angry.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
How else could you possibly pronounce it. Like most people I get all of my grammar knowledge from Styx songs.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I think I first heard of this podcast when they started being associated with Maximum Fun and have been slowly working on the back catalogue ever since. Their responses to the unbelievably stupid Yahoo questions get me nearly every time. It wasn't until they started doing the ads that I first completely lost my poo poo in public, though. Griffin improvising a song about Space Jam only to finish it and realize he didn't actually mention the sponsor had me in tears in the supermarket.

I actually had no clue what Justin's day job was until he was on one of the Giant Bomb E3 podcast (where he also brought me to tears talking about his bizarre demo of the new Sherlock Holmes game).

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

kuddles posted:

I think I first heard of this podcast when they started being associated with Maximum Fun and have been slowly working on the back catalogue ever since. Their responses to the unbelievably stupid Yahoo questions get me nearly every time. It wasn't until they started doing the ads that I first completely lost my poo poo in public, though. Griffin improvising a song about Space Jam only to finish it and realize he didn't actually mention the sponsor had me in tears in the supermarket.

I actually had no clue what Justin's day job was until he was on one of the Giant Bomb E3 podcast (where he also brought me to tears talking about his bizarre demo of the new Sherlock Holmes game).
Griffin works for Joystiq, too.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

habanero walrus posted:

Griffin works for Joystiq, too.

I'm really sad he isn't on the podcast anymore. That was my only reason for listening.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Cast Iron Brick posted:

I'm really sad he isn't on the podcast anymore. That was my only reason for listening.

Is this a joke I'm not getting because I didn't listen to this weeks podcast or am I gonna have to burn the world down?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

kuddles posted:

(where he also brought me to tears talking about his bizarre demo of the new Sherlock Holmes game).

:psyduck: HOLY poo poo

I have listened to that clip a thousand times before I started listening to MBMBaM and I never made the connection. Whoa.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Is this a joke I'm not getting because I didn't listen to this weeks podcast or am I gonna have to burn the world down?

He used to be on the Joystiq podcast, he hasn't left MBMBAM

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Ah ok. The world is safe then. FOR NOW

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Also, Justin still does a once-a-month podcast on Joystiq called "With A Q?", which is basically run like a quiz show involving inane video game facts. There's only been two episodes so far but it's pretty hilarious.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Haha, Justin got in trouble today for this article:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/30/guy-chokes-a-kid-after-being-made-fun-of-in-black-ops-were/

Obviously satrical, as he keeps having to say on Twitter. Even got an angry tweet from the International Game Developers Association, making actual game designers annoyed.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Anal Volcano posted:

Haha, Justin got in trouble today for this article:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/30/guy-chokes-a-kid-after-being-made-fun-of-in-black-ops-were/

Obviously satrical, as he keeps having to say on Twitter. Even got an angry tweet from the International Game Developers Association, making actual game designers annoyed.

Justin McElroy posted:

Note: If you think I literally endorse hunting people down who are rude on the internet ... how is antagonizing me the smart play?

I'm not that familiar with the Twitters, but I'm guessing this is probably in the running for best tweet ever?

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I started listening to this shortly before Bramblepelt, and that really sold it for me. I started listening to it since they merged with MaxFun and I'd been a JJGO listener for a couple years. Always a good time.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Giving police officers pet names was fantastic. I was laughing myself silly on the walk to school.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
Fantastic episode this week. I think I am finally over my sad hump because they didn't answer my question (in fairness looking back it was very poorly worded).

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Where the gently caress is my new episode? This isn't cool. My peepums died this way.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Where the gently caress is my new episode? This isn't cool. My peepums died this way.

Tell your peepums to stop being dramatic, I just downloaded it!

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I'm always so sad when I refresh my podcasts on Listen (I love that app btw, I wouldn't listen to any podcasts if I didn't have it) and MBMBaM hasn't updated yet. So I just listen to something else or go gently caress off for a few hours and they're up eventually :)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Monday is terrible until MBMBAM updates.

Today's was great, short but great, the hog-crocodile derail was the greatest block of time they've had in a while.

"I thought it'd be scary, but really I kinda wanna hang out with it!"

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I listened to this podcast for a few months, and I wasn't able to get into it. The hosts are funny, but too many of the letters are clearly just people on the internet trying to think of the stupidest conversation starter possible.

EDIT: I'm listening to it again, and it's improved.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 11, 2011

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

KC Green posted a picture of the crocoswine on his Tumbler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Justin is involved in a side project podcast that he does with his wife. It's a Two And A Half Men "fancast" called Losing The Sheen. Listening to the episodes almost makes me want to watch the show so that I can follow along with their horror. Almost.

• Locked thread