Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
This is the show that got me into listening to Podcasts. I actually started on Spaghettagedon because it was the newest epsiode at the time, and I haven't looked back since. It reminds me of conversations between my friends and me.

There are times when it lulls, or when they don't really have good-quality questions or Yahoos to make enough jokes about, but the last few weeks have been absolutely stellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Behold! A Elk! posted:

My personal recommendation would be whichever episode had the names for warrior cats. They have one of the only podcast that make me actually laugh out loud (compared to the number of times that people say LOL and do not actually mean it) the most recent live episode was awesome but the sound quality was pretty poor.

The Warrior Cat episode is called "Bramblepelt", and here it is mashed up with the Poké-rap.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Jeff Wiiver posted:

This is a pretty awesome podcast but every time Justin says "Modren" a vessel bursts in my head. Why does he insist on saying it like that?

As far as I know, it's because he said it for the first few shows, get yelled at on Twitter, and continued to do it because it makes people angry.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
It was kinda weird hearing an ad in today's show, but I guess the Money Zone/Jumbotron is just doing that badly. Whatever, though, I don't mind it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I think Griffin hit some sort of wall with the Griffinsspacejam.com song.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Al! posted:

And as a result now they have to advertise for a skeevy text message spam company. The jingle was pretty funny, though.

Yeah, I just finished the episode, and that was kind of a weird Money Zone ad. I almost want to get one myself just so that those types of things don't get through again.

They've had a couple of good consecutive weeks now. I'm honestly really impressed.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Hooper Struvé posted:

This is one of my favorite podcasts and I saw these guys live in Chicago when they were here and I have started turning it off after "I'm ready to hear Griffin's last question" because goddamn do they need to trim their end-of-show business.

It's really not all that bad. The only part I'm sick of at this point is how Griffin has started naming the theme song in every show. Yes, I get it. John Roderick and the Long Winters are a good band. No, I will not buy their album.

Griffin's last question is sometimes the best part of the show, if only to hear Justin and Travis absolutely lose it. There was one recently, I honestly can't remember which episode it was or what the question was, where there was a could of second of silence and choking, followed by Justin hurriedly ending the show. It was great.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

caveman thug poo poo posted:

what? no! i mean i guess maybe Girl Talk did a thing with it but more to the point, its the end of Andre's verse from International Players Anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awMIbA34MT8

It's also the piano part from Faithfully, by Journey. So, yeah, it's from Play Your Part.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
This is probably pretty vague, but does anybody remember what episode it was where Griffin's Last Question made Justin and Travis laugh so hard that they could only barely get the sign-off out?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Ignoranus posted:

That description seems to fit more than just one episode...

I know, that's the thing. There was one right after I started listening, maybe a few episodes after Spaghettageddon, where Justin in particular just absolutely lost it. I guess I'll just start going through them.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

plastered quack posted:

Edit: nevermind, thought you only heard #96 and not all the way to 96.

I still believe Bramblepelt/Spaghettageddon are tied for the best episode :colbert:

I'll always recommend Spaghettageddon to new listeners, because while Bramblepelt itself is a good bit, the rest of the episode is somewhat slow. Spaghettageddon was my first episode, and it reeled me in completely.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
What the heck was that French baby that Justin did this week? It sounded like Nick Kroll's "Baby" character, but speaking French instead.

Also, pretty good episode this week. It's always nice when they find something that genuinely unsettles them.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
At least the McElroys try to keep it light and fun. Sure, they're working off of a copy, but they're allowed to do their own poo poo. Making it an extended ER commercial would be great.

JJHodgman kinda gets dragged down during MaxFunDrive because Jesse's in the podcast, and is pretty much the most involved person, so he has to make it awkward by default. It's only remotely saved by Hodgman himself.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Travis is really killing it with the one-liners lately. I used to groan every time he would try to make a quick joke, but I'm pretty much waiting for them to happen these days. "A closed fist holds no jelly." almost made me choke on my sandwich.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

VDay posted:

Someone did one of those kinect type videos for one of my favorite bits ever:

Warrior Cat Names

Does anyone have a link to the one where this was remixed into the PokéRap? That was one of my favorite videos, and I can't seem to find it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

That was fast! Thanks a bunch!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

VDay posted:

Maybe everyone else loves them and I'm the crazy one, but I've started skipping any section where Justin decides to bust out his hilarious Snowden voice. They're barely even jokes, he just starts talking like a weirdo and then stops when he finally realizes that it's not going anywhere and is just annoying to listen to.

I liked this one only because Griffin started just yelling. Any time Griffin yells at anyone is pretty much a great time for me.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
From its ad, I pretty genuinely thought that The Flophouse was one guy doing 3 voices. I think the best one is the commercial for The Adventure Zone, or maybe JJHo for the "Do you have these problems? Well don't contact us, we've already done those" line.

Also, this episode and Spaghettageddon show that the Brothers are at their best when they're all recording in the same room together.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Drunkboxer posted:

I thought it was funny when Travis showed up in the audience of the most recent Dead Authors Podcast. Man likes podcasts I guess.

Fellow named Travis McElroy...
Made up.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
MBMBaM is actually the only podcast where I won't skip the ads, or more specifically The Money Zone. I'll skip past the ones for other shows because they're typically awful, but The Money Zone is pretty genuinely entertaining because they're pretty much allowed to do whatever so long as the hit a few key talking points. At least that weird loan site is gone now.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Yeah, they usually have Sawbones, and then one time the did a live episode of Big Gulp.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I've been meaning to get into The Adventure Zone. Did they upload the edited first episode anywhere but YouTube?

e: Am I misremembering them talking about a edited-down episode? I don't see it on YouTube either.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 23, 2015

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
What's really a shame about the Max Fun ads is that, even ads for shows I already listen to and genuinely like have ads that would never convince me to listen. Even JJHo's ad isn't that great, even if it is significantly more tolerable than most. The first time I heard the ad for The Flophouse, I thought all 3 guys were character voices being done by one guy, because all 3 are uniquely weird and annoying

The only thing I've ever really liked are small segments of ads, like Griffin's "Did you like that? Did you, the listener, like what you just heard?" for Adventure Zone, or Dave's quick "We're from Canada. DON'T HANG UP!" from the earlier SPY ads. I like them better when they don't feel so rehearsed.

Song Exploder was the only genuinely enjoyable ad, and only wish there were artists on that I had any familiarity with so I could enjoy the song being deconstructed. That said, Loren Bouchard breaking down the Bob's Burgers theme was fantastic.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Authorman posted:

There was one live show where there was only one funny question and the rest was Justin getting too drunk and trying to cover up an onstage panic attack and sincere advice from the other two.

Maybe one of the first three ones? I tend to skip relistening to live shows due to them being lower quality in general.

The live eps are definitely lower quality overall, but I think the one you're talking about also had them telling a story about their awful hotel, and about how Justin pooped his pants.

The first few live ones were pretty good, though.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Not quite a Monster Factory, but Justin gets to take the wheel in this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQyxUxI2wh8

e: No, the pizza that I grew up with is the best pizza. You are all incorrect.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 27, 2015

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Guys, guys, quit your squabbling. The #SheetzFreakz finally got their official Sponsorship Package!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rXVVYSjFw8

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Literally no ads for MaxFun shows sound good at all. I love SPY, but none of their ads have ever been good. Even the ad for the Adventure Zone is only funny if you listen to MBMBaM already, and even then, barely.

The ones I don't listen to are either ones whose concept I have no interest in, or ones that have a host that I know and don't really like. Having people with annoying voices is just adding to it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Tempo 119 posted:

SPY is about getting to know people, and the things they've heard

Or seen, or deamt.

There was a decently long chain of episodes where it also was somewhat about Hulk Hogan.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I really don't understand why it's so wrong for a rookie DM and 3 semi-novice players to be playing an on-the-rails story-driven campaign, and not be super-serious about DnD specifics.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The long-term problem is that, as the characters level up, D&D 5e hands spellcasters ways to shut down interesting improv with easy spell solutions; you can already see this with Justin's attempts to short-circuit problems with Sleep and Charm Person and that's only going to get worse.

These are the funniest things in the show, so I don't see how that's a problem. Justin's incredibly clever about this stuff, and is funny enough to carry them out very well. Griffin's handled them well enough so far, and it might actually push him into being a more clever DM in the future.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Pack Your Bags and Move Away

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
e: That, too.

Rusty Kettle posted:

On a side note, I'm going to recommend MBMBaM to a friend, and want to find a good entry point. I've listened to most of them, but all the good episodes kinda blur into one another in that I can remember good segments, but cannot remember what episode they're from. Do you folks have a particular episode you recommend? Bonus points if it is recent.

I will always suggest Spaghettageddon as an entry point, because it was seriously a high-water mark for me with this show. The 3 of them being in the same room and not having an audience to worry about really brings out the best in them.

If you have to go recent, I think Dunkey might be the most completely funny episode in the last while. It has a few different good bits, IIRC.

Failing that, if you don't wanna start with a full episode, there's always the sampler. It's got some old favorites.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
What other show are the McElroys doing in this thing? I know the Flophouse/TAZ switch, but reading who's doing MBMBaM this week leaves me confused as to where they'll be. I'm also sort of nervous with who SPY and JJHo are switching with, and I feel like this just might be a bad podcast week for me.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Tatum Girlparts posted:

They didn't do any direct swaps for some reason, the brothers will be JJGo today which should be fun and I have no idea who's on JJHo but I think SPY is another mishmash of MaxFun folks.

Not sure I like the idea of a mishmash SPY any better than a mishmash MBMBaM, unless it's, like, John Hodgman and Monty Belmonte. The shows work so well because the hosts know each other so well. Hell, half the fun of SPY is hearing Dave and Graham basically rush to make the first bad pun they can out of a conversation.

I thought Flophouse and TAZ was a straight-up swap, though?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
There's a pretty big difference between the banter between 3 siblings, and the banter between 3 professional acquaintances.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Kenny Logins posted:

Ding ding ding. That's the lightning in a bottle. Although people who have worked closely together for 5-10 years can come close.

That's also why SPY is as good as it is these days. They've been working together, and been friends, for years now.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Yeah, completely dismissing that question was really jarring, and didn't fit the tone of the show at all.

I finally listened to My Jesse My Dave Holmes and Rhea, and it wasn't... quite as bad as people were making it out to be, but yeah, it absolutely wasn't a MBMBaM episode. I feel like they just skimmed over or straight up skipped, like, 3 questions. Hearing Jesse laughing through the Yahoos was kinda entertaining, though.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Poopy Palpy posted:

You've listened to My Brother, My Brother, and Me, right?

There's a big difference between "Not answering a question after getting stuck on a goof train" and "acknowledging a question, and immediately moving on". The questions were answered with "grow up", and then left at that.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

toanoradian posted:

umm i'm a horsehead and their repeated refusal to learn anything true horse(tm) is insulting to my lifestyle

But seriously, I can't remember them insulting a questioner. The most they do is giving the straight answer (such as their catchphrase of "pack your bags and move away") with not much goof. What was the closest they ever been to insults?

I think they used to make fun of furries that would show up in Yahoos, but I don't think they've ever outright insulted a question asker without the question also being a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Alaois posted:

There's the guy at one of the Face 2 Face's who doesn't enjoy any holidays and the brothers just kinda said he sucked

Yeah, a bummer.

• Locked thread