Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I think I first heard of this podcast when they started being associated with Maximum Fun and have been slowly working on the back catalogue ever since. Their responses to the unbelievably stupid Yahoo questions get me nearly every time. It wasn't until they started doing the ads that I first completely lost my poo poo in public, though. Griffin improvising a song about Space Jam only to finish it and realize he didn't actually mention the sponsor had me in tears in the supermarket.

I actually had no clue what Justin's day job was until he was on one of the Giant Bomb E3 podcast (where he also brought me to tears talking about his bizarre demo of the new Sherlock Holmes game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Also, Justin still does a once-a-month podcast on Joystiq called "With A Q?", which is basically run like a quiz show involving inane video game facts. There's only been two episodes so far but it's pretty hilarious.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Justin is involved in a side project podcast that he does with his wife. It's a Two And A Half Men "fancast" called Losing The Sheen. Listening to the episodes almost makes me want to watch the show so that I can follow along with their horror. Almost.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

The whole Jumbotron thing that they do is actually Maximum Fun's attempt at getting sponsorship money from small home-based businesses and individuals because traditional advertisers tend to shy away from podcasts. The lack of reliable listener stats and niche audiences is why you almost never hear ads on podcasts unless you're a huge presence like TWIT or co-exist as a radio show. I would take that as a really positive sign for their growth, not being desperate for cash.

Also, can't imagine Money Zone was doing that badly because outside of TSOYA, it was the only podcast that consistently had something to promote during it.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

They're obviously using the Girl Talk mix for it though.

My guess is once they joined Maximum Fun and started making money off the podcast having the ABBA music might have turned into a legal issue.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 18, 2011

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

The Duke posted:

I've been listening to Satellite Dish as well and it's pretty decent, a few times I've just been utterly confused by some of their TV tastes but I realize not everyone enjoys the same shows I do :downs:
Funny, I feel the same way. Obviously with the fact that there are so many television shows on that I've been told are great that I'm not watching because I already have too much on the go, I didn't expect there to be a lot of overlap. But it is kind of surprising that Justin McElroy of all people isn't watching a lot of those acclaimed shows but instead is catching all this mediocre reality programming and forgettable sitcoms. But then again, if all they were watching were HBO dramas, I doubt the podcast would be nearly as entertaining.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 23, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Al! posted:

The Joystiq podcast they used to be on was pretty boring despite having the brothers, in my opinion. It's like somebody told them "video games are serious buisness, if you joke around or seem like you're having fun we will fire you."
Uh, do you mean the podcast they did after they discontinued the one Justin was always on? Because otherwise, I wholedheartedly disagree. It was by far the goofiest and low-key of any professional site.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Yeah, I'm a week behind on my podcast rotation so I only got to listen to it last night, but that Hallowe'en episode is easily one of the best they have ever done. There are a couple moments in the second half that I almost broke out crying.

Kinda miss the Girl Talk closer, though.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

quadrophrenic posted:

JJGO! used to be extremely funny and now it's still pretty funny, but they've undergone a major tonal shift in the past few months. Jesse has become a little more esoteric and Jordan has become more subdued, the guests have become less central to the show and more low-key, and even the production is softer and quieter, it seems. It used to be a wacky show that had classic quotables spilling over the rim, but now it's mostly about a guy in a tweed jacket trading nostalgia riffs with his stoner friend in a hushed, post-ironic murmur. IDK, it's still got some great moments these days, but it's far and away not the best MF show.
Yeah, I can agree with this. When I first started listening to the show around '08, there were these great episodes - especially the guestless ones - where the discussion became so surreal and full of tangents that I couldn't help burst out laughing. Now it's kind of sinked into following a really predictable routine. Moving the show out of being recorded in his house and into a legit studio seemed to be the clincher for this.

SPY is also really good when it's just the two of them and they get into a rhythm. My only complaint is that some of their comedian friends veer into the far-left territory. It doesn't happen often, but there are those occasions where the comedy comes to a halt as the guest yammers on about some alternative medicine thing they are into.

Memory Palace is good but it doesn't fit the vibe of the rest of the shows at all.

Judge John Hodgeman is good but is occasionally dragged down when it becomes obvious the guests deliberately came up with the wacky circumstance to get on the show and are playing along, and are never as good at it as they think they are.

MBMBAM is by far the funniest, though. My only concern is that the Yahoo Answers seem to now come from the same two people clearly scouring the site for the show so I'm wondering if we are at the point where we can see the bottom of that comedy well.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Waxmetal posted:

Oh well. Ten bucks says Monday is a return to form. I didn't like Dan Harmon either when he came on as a guest either. Their guests seem to gum up the goof-works if you ask me. The less guests who aren't their dad the better as far as I'm concerned.
I feel like Dan Savage managed to fit into their natural chemistry pretty well when he was on last year. I do think it's hard for their guests to "fit in", though, so it helps that the guests aren't on for the whole episode.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Didn't see it brought up yet so in case anyone wasn't aware, The bros were the guest advice hosts on the Savage Lovecast about a week ago, starting around the 20 minute mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Crindee posted:

Anyone listen to Losing the Sheen? Justin apparently just watched the finale of Two and a Half Men and uhhhhhh https://instagram.com/p/zTqY2_wRaJ/ what?
This is amazingly hilarious if you've been paying attention to the show. I recommend everyone in this thread having trouble comprehending this watch every single episode of Two and a Half Men. You'll find that moment ground-breaking if you do, trust me on this.

• Locked thread