Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I recently discovered a podcast that's very much in the vein of The Bugle, even having Helen Zaltzman guest on it sometimes:

The Beef and Dairy Network Podcast

It's sort of like Welcome to Nightvale only instead of being set in a universe where spooky weirdness happens, it's merely an alternate reality where cows are slightly more important than they are here. Also, unlike Welcome to Nightvale, Beef and Dairy Network realizes that in order to properly parody radio news broadcasts you need to be able to do a proper radio newscaster voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I love the Beef & Dairy Network--It's also rarely more than thirty minutes long which for something like this is really good. Keeps it tight and it doesn't wear out its welcome. The humor is absurd and deadpan and a welcome treat when I find it in my queue every...I think twice a month now? It even has a few ongoing "storylines".

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Rich beef sausages.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Nish on this season of Taskmaster is killing it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Inspired by the latest episode:

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
Alice is really really good as is Nish. To be honest most of the sub hosts are pretty loving good.

Also gently caress you Chris.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I need to set up a Taskmaster thread in TVIV. Nish's complete failures on that show are the stuff of legends.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

John's HBO show goes on break, and just a few days later, this happens: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/17/p...ampaign_id=A100

quote:

Washington (CNN) In case there was any doubt, the US Navy has confirmed that there is "zero training value" in drawing penises in the sky.

I think it's a sign that it is time for a triumphant return.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Gosh, this thread got dusty.

The Bugle continues on with a solid cadre of co-hosts. I don't think that comparing the current show to the old show is merited or useful-- while the double act had an obvious great vibe to it, the rotating co-hosts adds a freshness and variety to the show. I think they're both great.

I'm bringing the thread back because the Guardian had an article on double-acts that split, and Andy and John are part of it. Here's their excerpt:

quote:

Whether due to rifts cleaved in the writers’ room, or secret ambitions, often one member of a double act begins to work on side projects. When someone is lured away by a career in Hollywood (Joe Cornish, who worked with Adam Buxton as Adam and Joe), or a hosting gig on TV, the jilted comic can feel a triple death: of a partnership, a brand, even a future.

In 2006, Andy Zaltzman and John Oliver, who were at the time writing their third Edinburgh show together, travelled to London to audition for a role on Jon Stewart’s The Daily Show. Only Oliver, however, was called to a second audition. “When they offered him the job, unfathomably, John chose to go and work on the world’s leading satirical TV show rather than speak to 30 people in a tiny room in Edinburgh,” Zaltzman tells me over a Diet Pepsi in a London pub. After the swift departure of Oliver, who now presents HBO’s primetime political talkshow Last Week Tonight, Zaltzman was left to write and, two weeks later, perform the Edinburgh show alone. “It was difficult because I had nothing to replace this wonderful working relationship and friendship,” Zaltzman says.

The year after Oliver left for America, Zaltzman “bumbled along” performing political standup. Then they were offered the opportunity to record a weekly topical podcast, the Bugle. Oliver agreed to rejoin the double act (albeit via a telephone line) as co-host. “It worked well straight away,” says Zaltzman. “There hadn’t been any great falling out, so in that sense it was easy for us to work together again.”

The podcast, a satirical take on the week’s news, ran from 2007 to 2014 without a break. It then had a hiatus while Oliver focused on launching his new TV show; he soon found that the show was taking up too much of his time, and the Bugle came to an end in 2015. Then in 2016, Zaltzman relaunched it without Oliver, instead partnering with a roster of comedians including Nish Kumar and Hari Kondabolu.

“To lose [Oliver] after having worked so closely for years left a void,” says Zaltzman. “But my frustration was not with his success. I like to think I haven’t become a bitter, twisted, resentment-fuelled showbiz cliche. But maybe there is a residual awkwardness about the different paths we’ve taken.”

The full article is a pretty interesting read as well, and includes a picture of Andy sticking his head out through a golden curtain.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Great read, thanks for that!

Nish was a guest on the London episode of Lovett or Leave It and did a great job. Evidently he'd been at a previous show and somehow volunteered to be on the panel. Which had to be an interesting conversation!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Every episode with Alice on it is an absolute delight. I mean they're all delights, but especially delightful.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

GrandpaPants posted:

Every episode with Alice on it is an absolute delight. I mean they're all delights, but especially delightful.

I absolutely love the Alice ones. There’s a slightly nervous air from Andy, not knowing what will happen. Like you have your sibling with you and aren’t quite sure what they’re about to dredge up.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Red Oktober posted:

I absolutely love the Alice ones. There’s a slightly nervous air from Andy, not knowing what will happen. Like you have your sibling with you and aren’t quite sure what they’re about to dredge up.

Are you thinking of Helen? Alice Fraser is the Australian comic who is indeed absolutely hilarious.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Just bought a ticket to the next Bugle live show with Alice and Nish, super looking forward to it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

FrensaGeran posted:

Are you thinking of Helen? Alice Fraser is the Australian comic who is indeed absolutely hilarious.

I am indeed thinking of Helen.

The Alice ones are also brilliant.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Andy was on The New Quiz this week, thought I should say as he'll probably forget to promote himself on The Bugle. That's The Radio 4 Friday Night Comedy Podcast if you didn't know, sorry for when The Now Show appears in your feed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

For some reason I didn't picture Nish looking like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMfStd3v330

(I just more or less wanted to show this bit which is pretty funny) Also, didn't know that Nish did the UK Daily Show?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

The Chinese leadership pun run caught me by surprise. My thought process while listening: "Wait... What is happening no he surely cannot, no... OMG he just did a pun about Deng Xiaoping"

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

For some reason I didn't picture Nish looking like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMfStd3v330

(I just more or less wanted to show this bit which is pretty funny) Also, didn't know that Nish did the UK Daily Show?

Then you've not seen him in Taskmaster, remedy this.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

BizarroAzrael posted:

Then you've not seen him in any Taskmaster, remedy this.

FTFY

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Is there even any way to see Taskmaster in the states? I hear about it a bunch but I've never seen any of it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Teddybear posted:

Is there even any way to see Taskmaster in the states? I hear about it a bunch but I've never seen any of it.

Erm, maybe? Comedy Central have picked up the format and a US version is forthcoming (taped in July apparently) so maybe will have US distribution rights on the UK version? I expect the UKTV player ("Dave" is the UK station the show is on and part of UKTV) website is geoblocked but no harm in trying.

Not strictly true as they could have seen any of series 1-4 and not seen Nish. Still good advice.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Teddybear posted:

https://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/shows/taskmaster/watch-online/ is the link. But you need a way to look like you're in the UK, an email address, and this might be useful too WC1X 0AA

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Andy was on the News Quiz this week, so you might want to pick up the podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

I went to the Portland show of the Bugle last week, with guest hosts Helen Zaltman, Martin the Soundman as guest Chris, and Alice Fraser via videolink from Tokyo.

Great show, though the highlight for me might have been when Andy's free trial of Zoom.us died in the middle of the show. So Alice was talking and a giant warning came up that the meeting was about to end. He had to call her back, but not before she'd run off to go get a beverage.

There was also a bit of Q&A at the end, which was nice. Some exceedingly deep cut references from Bugle listeners, too. (One referenced the town the Bugle had declared war on back in like episode 22 or so.)

• Locked thread