Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

How are u posted:

It started out as an overreaction to producer Chris joining the team, now its really more of a term of endearment.

The hell it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
That Dickens pun run was glorious.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I just found out that Bugle is still on the air! :neckbeard: IM SO HAPPY!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

vote_no posted:

The hell it is!

gently caress YOU CHRIS

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Lady Gaza posted:

I'm fairly new to the Bugle, so what's this 'gently caress you Chris' about?

Trying to remember the episode number now, but essentially, when the old producer (Tom) left and Chris took full control, Andy read out and email that started out "gently caress YOU CHRIS" and proceeded to state how much the writer missed Tom and hated Chris for various reasons. The next episode had a deluge of people writing in to tell Chris to go gently caress himself.

Since then it's been cakes, tapestries, websites, wiki pages all sent to him all saying the same thing. Tom even visited the UK from Australia and endorsed Chris as the head of the Bugle, to no avail. The last time Andy appealed for calm was when people were turning up at his gigs shouting it.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 15, 2012

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Andy appealed for calm and then made a joke disparaging Chris like 2 minutes later. I love this show.

I especially loved when Chris challenged the Buglers to a triathlon-off, that was awesome

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Blackula69 posted:

Andy appealed for calm and then made a joke disparaging Chris like 2 minutes later. I love this show.

I especially loved when Chris challenged the Buglers to a triathlon-off, that was awesome

And of course somebody wrote in saying how he does tons of triathlons all over the world and would love to race Chris.

Buglers are the best :)

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

BigRed0427 posted:

I just found out that Bugle is still on the air! :neckbeard: IM SO HAPPY!

The moment where you should think about donating them some of the Queen's shilling to keep it so. ;)

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The Bugle leaves the control of the Murdoch media empire and suddenly Tom is able to return from his exile. Coincidence?

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.
Tom was back one other time, when he and Andy were both drunk. I forget the episode number though...

Edit: Was it the all-London Bugle? Was John drunk too?

sildenafil fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 28, 2012

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

sildenafil posted:

Tom was back one other time, when he and Andy were both drunk. I forget the episode number though...

Edit: Was it the all-London Bugle? Was John drunk too?

Episode 131, 'Birthday Bonanza'. (TV Tropes is good for something after all!)

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.

Duckbill posted:

Time to give that a re-listen, thanks!!

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

Duckbill posted:

TVtropes is wonderful for everything, you communist.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
like staring into the minds of completely broken ignorant misanthropes

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Kodo posted:

TVtropes is wonderful for everything, you communist.
It's especially fantastic if you're a pedophile with Aspergers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

So how many puns will be on John Olivers show when Andy shows up?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm pretty worried about that because Andy Zaltzman sounds nervous in recordings for The Now Show, which is a radio show recorded in front of 50 people, who knows what'll happen in front of a much larger audience. Although he held up in front of a similar crowd on Oliver's special, so I don't know.
Another BBC Zaltzman fact: for a show called 30 Acts in 30 Minutes, which is basically speed dating for stand-up, Andy did the Queen Victoria joke and did not get half-way through.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm pretty worried about that because Andy Zaltzman sounds nervous in recordings for The Now Show, which is a radio show recorded in front of 50 people, who knows what'll happen in front of a much larger audience.
He's probably nervous about showing up the rest of the show, because bugger me if The Now Show isn't the second most mediocre, vanilla comedy I've heard in years, behind only NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. Brigstocke's about the only interesting person on that show, usually.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I saw John Oliver perform this weekend at the DC Improv, and even though I recognized a good chunk of the bits from being worked on the Bugle, it was still 100% worthwhile. He has an awesome, hilarious stage presence and physical bits that I didn't really remember from his Terryfing Times special, and ended the show by ripping on a drunk woman who kept shouting comments. The bit just kept growing and getting weirder and it was so perfect, he finally wrapped it up and was like "I can't really top that with how I was going to finish, so good night DC!" :3:

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

The american engineer is talking more and more these days, do you think this is due being freed from the imperialist yoke of NI? Did gently caress You Chris get fired along with the boys or just work on the show for shits and giggles?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

notaspy posted:

Did gently caress You Chris get fired along with the boys or just work on the show for shits and giggles?

I think Chris still produces The Game podcast for Times Online

EDIT: Looks like he does: https://twitter.com/producerchris/status/176709042222280704

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I can't seem to figure out which episode has the first part of the Edinburgh bit continued in 166C. Anyone know?

Edit: I thought it was 166A, but that starts in the middle.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 7, 2012

Dezoth
Mar 26, 2010

Cabbit posted:

I can't seem to figure out which episode has the first part of the Edinburgh bit continued in 166C. Anyone know?

Edit: I thought it was 166A, but that starts in the middle.

It's the second half of episode 166.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
edit: wrong thread.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
That was a great new episode. Its really fun having John and Andy together, you can tell they're enjoying the hell out of it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lets do some math

quote:

The cannibals in Gtzxla Village were preparing for a party. So Gombo, the chief cook, went to the market to buy some humans to barbecue. The butcher at the market told him that a Chinese cost $59 less than a Mexican. An Indian cost $68 more than a Mexican. Gombo bought 5 of each and paid the butcher $1560. What was the cost of a Mexican?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

The American is/was a fantastic character (p.s. thank you for those YouTube links).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mordiceius posted:

My favorite moments are when Andy breaks into a string of puns. Just the physical pain John Oliver is in during those is fantastic.
The very first show I listened to (#117) had a seemingly-unending string of dog puns with John Oliver moaning in pain in the background. I was about to tell my friend this podcast was a crime against humanity until Chris jumped in with "MILK JIGGERS" out of nowhere and I practically choked. Loving it ever since.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

bobkatt013 posted:

Lets do some math

quote:

The cannibals in Gtzxla Village were preparing for a party. So Gombo, the chief cook, went to the market to buy some humans to barbecue. The butcher at the market told him that a Chinese cost $59 less than a Mexican. An Indian cost $68 more than a Mexican. Gombo bought 5 of each and paid the butcher $1560. What was the cost of a Mexican?
Here you go:
code:
c=m-59
i=m+68
5c+5m+5i=1560
5(m-59)+5m+5(m+68)=1560
5m-295+5m+5m+340=1560
15m+45=1560
15m=1515
m=1515/15
m=101
A Mexican cost $101.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

TACD posted:

The very first show I listened to (#117) had a seemingly-unending string of dog puns with John Oliver moaning in pain in the background. I was about to tell my friend this podcast was a crime against humanity until Chris jumped in with "MILK JIGGERS" out of nowhere and I practically choked. Loving it ever since.

"Chris, the Walking Wikipedia!"
"Well, the walking man with access to Wikipedia."

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

dancehall posted:

That Dickens pun run was glorious.

Which episode, probably after this one, was it that Andy made a single pun after a good run of decent jokes, and Chris and John both sigh with despair and inform Andy he was doing so well, but then he dived out of a moving car?

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Heners_UK posted:

Which episode, probably after this one, was it that Andy made a single pun after a good run of decent jokes, and Chris and John both sigh with despair and inform Andy he was doing so well, but then he dived out of a moving car?

I think if was along thd lines of:
"Like workmen putting folkloric demons into a truck, he was imp-loading". Andy's puns are glorious - I tried telling the Great-ex-picked-A-shins joke to some of my friends, and got some of the most disgusted looks that I've ever seen.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Speaking of puns, has anyone told Andy of Foerster's syndrome?
He might have a tumor in his brain :ohdear:
"When the surgeon began to manipulate the tumor, affecting those sensitive structures, the (conscious) patient burst into a manic flight of puns."

Scorpion 3-2
Apr 2, 2011

Zsinjeh posted:

Speaking of puns, has anyone told Andy of Foerster's syndrome?
He might have a tumor in his brain :ohdear:
"When the surgeon began to manipulate the tumor, affecting those sensitive structures, the (conscious) patient burst into a manic flight of puns."

Looks like you should write them an email. Andy's health could be at risk.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

That article also links to an page on Witzelsucht

Witzelsucht posted:

Witzelsucht, from the German witzeln, meaning to joke or wisecrack, and sucht meaning addiction or yearning, is a set of rare neurological symptoms characterized by the patient's uncontrollable tendency to make puns, tell inappropriate jokes and pointless or irrelevant stories at inconvenient moments. The patient nevertheless finds these utterances intensely amusing.

Of course that could have just as easily been a excerpt from Andy's biography.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Think of how many pun runs we lost due to John's dog eating his joke books.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:
My favorite Zaltz-pun of all time was something along the lines of "like a German doctor who force feeds people sausages and then x-rays their stomachs, we tend to see the wurst in people."

Still makes me laugh every time I think about it.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Well I tossed them an e-mail alerting Andy of his potential brain tumor, hopefully they will have him at a hospital soon. Unless this has been brought up countless times over the podcast and I've been deaf to it.

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.

slartibartfast posted:

My favorite Zaltz-pun of all time was something along the lines of "like a German doctor who force feeds people sausages and then x-rays their stomachs, we tend to see the wurst in people."

Still makes me laugh every time I think about it.

He also has one about German vegetarians, because they fear the wurst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

God I love tortured puns. Andy having a pun-causing brain tumor definitely sounds like the kind of email they might read, good luck.

• Locked thread