Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Made my first Old Fashioned tonight and it's quite delicious and ended up buying a handle of Makers. Lots of Makers :yum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Candleshire
Dec 16, 2003

weird beard laffo
God drat falernum is a weird taste

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Don't drink it straight, I only do that to gently caress with cocktail geek customers Jesus Christ.

It's a fantastic mixer, though. Great blend of spice and sweet, pair it with bitter and or astringent like aperol and lime, little soda and an aromatic float, drat. I miss summer.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I went the other night to Hyde & Co, a brilliant speakeasy-type bar where you have to sit down and be well-dressed to get in (they look through the spyhole and check you out before opening the door). I had a couple of amazing drinks (you can check out the menu on there - I had a rhum conference, a norwegian wood, a Princeton no2 and an old fashioned). What else would you guys check out for the next time I go there?

Anyway, there are now 4 places in my city that are the same sort of idea...you have to be smart, knock on a door and they only let you in if there's space to sit. They're generally unmarked and unsigned, and a little bit out of the way. I'm sure there are similar things elsewhere, but I haven't heard of any. It's strange that there are 4 in my relatively small city though, are they popular elsewhere and just not heard of until you know someone that knows them?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I went the other night to Hyde & Co, a brilliant speakeasy-type bar where you have to sit down and be well-dressed to get in (they look through the spyhole and check you out before opening the door). I had a couple of amazing drinks (you can check out the menu on there - I had a rhum conference, a norwegian wood, a Princeton no2 and an old fashioned). What else would you guys check out for the next time I go there?

Anyway, there are now 4 places in my city that are the same sort of idea...you have to be smart, knock on a door and they only let you in if there's space to sit. They're generally unmarked and unsigned, and a little bit out of the way. I'm sure there are similar things elsewhere, but I haven't heard of any. It's strange that there are 4 in my relatively small city though, are they popular elsewhere and just not heard of until you know someone that knows them?

This was quite the trend in NYC in the '00s. Milk & Honey, Please Don't Tell, Death & Co., etc. It's actually gotten a little out of hand. Thing is, they proliferate because the latest generation of cocktail makers and drinkers either started in those places or hit their stride in them. I think the aesthetic arises because cocktail drinkers and nerds and such are generally adventurous people; you'd have to be, to look at a bright green liquor that smells like trees and not run screaming back to a vodka soda. That's one of the things I love about my current job; big picture window, nice lamps, artful wainscotting, great liquor and beer selection, and the staff just happens to know and make all the classics and a few house drinks. Only thing that gives us away is the waistcoat.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Does anyone know (preferably first hand) any really great cocktail bars in London? Where the hell can I find a sazerac?

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Doh004 posted:

Made my first Old Fashioned tonight and it's quite delicious and ended up buying a handle of Makers. Lots of Makers :yum:

That's literally the experience that made me into a religious bourbon drinker. Hangin with my roommate who'd been watching a lot of Mad Men adn he asked if I knew how to make an Old Fashioned. I said I'd do my best and six months later we've got five empty Maker's bottles around the apartment.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Doh004 posted:

The Triumphant posted:

That's literally the experience that made me into a religious bourbon drinker. Hangin with my roommate who'd been watching a lot of Mad Men adn he asked if I knew how to make an Old Fashioned. I said I'd do my best and six months later we've got five empty Maker's bottles around the apartment.

We make Manhattans at home a lot and my girlfriend always used Makers. Thanks to one of these whisky threads of the past we tried the often overlooked bottom-shelf Bourbon Evan Williams. Our first take was that it was almost as good, and, since then, I sometimes think I actually prefer it.
It's literally half the price of Makers $20 for a half-gallon, compared to $23 for a fifth of Makers. Grab a fifth for $12 some time and try it in your Olde-Fashiouneds; if you don't like it I'm sure you can ditch it at a party or use it when girls want "Jack + Coke".

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.

I like turtles posted:

Ended up going with a 750ml bottle of white rum, 750ml bottle of midori, 2oz of Campari, 4 oz of Blue curacao. Will hit it with some lime juice and soda to bring the volume up/abv down. Is fairly decent right now. Good color too. Sweet side is fine, painfully sweet drinks are popular with most of the expected attendees.

It's primarily a low key geek (not greek) post college party. There was talk of having a Doctor Who marathon.

lol

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Very Strange Things posted:

We make Manhattans at home a lot and my girlfriend always used Makers. Thanks to one of these whisky threads of the past we tried the often overlooked bottom-shelf Bourbon Evan Williams. Our first take was that it was almost as good, and, since then, I sometimes think I actually prefer it.
It's literally half the price of Makers $20 for a half-gallon, compared to $23 for a fifth of Makers. Grab a fifth for $12 some time and try it in your Olde-Fashiouneds; if you don't like it I'm sure you can ditch it at a party or use it when girls want "Jack + Coke".

Evan Williams is Kentucky sour mash, like jack daniels, not bourbon. That said, it is also delicious. For your old fashioneds and Manhattans, try going old school and use a rye whiskey.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Vegetable Melange posted:

Evan Williams is Kentucky sour mash, like jack daniels, not bourbon. That said, it is also delicious. For your old fashioneds and Manhattans, try going old school and use a rye whiskey.

I am pretty sure that any American sour mash whiskey that's made mostly from corn and aged in new barrels is bourbon. Also, it says bourbon right on the bottle.
I bought a bottle of their single barrel bourbon, that costs as much as Makers and I didn't like it as much in a cocktail. It tasted a lot like Jameson's actually, and I enjoyed it with a couple ice cubes.

I really want to try rye, but the only rye I've found locally is Jim Beam rye and I assume it sucks.

vvvvvvvvvvvv

DasNeonLicht posted:

You shouldn't judge something without trying it. Jim Beam is a big operation, but it has a reputation for quality. It may not be artisan rye whiskey, but it meets the requirements for "straight rye," so I think you should give it a shot (heh) to give yourself a baseline against which to measure other rye whiskeys.

Well, I just found out that Booker's and Knob Creek were Jim Beam products, so I can see your point.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 2, 2011

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

I really want to try rye, but the only rye I've found locally is Jim Beam rye and I assume it sucks.
You shouldn't judge something without trying it. Jim Beam is a big operation, but it has a reputation for quality. It may not be artisan rye whiskey, but it meets the requirements for "straight rye," so I think you should give it a shot (heh) to give yourself a baseline against which to measure other rye whiskeys.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Evan Williams is definitely bourbon. Jack Daniels is Tennessee whiskey, which is distinguished primarily for its charcoal filtration.

Simpo
May 1, 2008
I didn't think Jim Beam rye was that bad, although I haven't had it for a while since my bottle shop actually started wild turkey's rye, which is really nice.

speaking of whisk(e)ys, does anyone have any suggestions for good scotch based cocktails? I know the rob roy and rusty nail, but any others you guys can recommend?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Simpo posted:

does anyone have any suggestions for good scotch based cocktails?

I've made a couple.

Bravo
1oz blended scotch
1.5oz rye
.25oz simple syrup
3 drops absinthe
Sugar cube garnish

--

Le Roi Robert
1oz blended scotch
1oz St. Germain
.5oz sweet vermouth
2 dashes Angostura bitters
cherry garnish

--

Blood and Sand
.75oz scotch
.75oz Cherry Heering
.75oz sweet vermouth
1oz fresh orange juice
Flamed orange peel garnish

Xarr
Oct 20, 2008

angor posted:

Does anyone know (preferably first hand) any really great cocktail bars in London? Where the hell can I find a sazerac?

Any of these bars will be able to make a competent sazerac even if they arn't on their list.

Nightjar 20's speakeasy, utter perfection.

Purl I wasn't a huge fan, but I only went for a quiet drink early on a Wednesday so mileage may vary. Cool drinks with dry ice.

Mark's Bar good cocktails, excellent bar snacks and the oyster ale is to die for

Claridges Bar the best service in town, an utter institution and all are made to feel welcome

Dukes Bar ignore the new, crap website, it has the best martinis in town by a long way

The American Bar felt a little impersonal but great cocktails and a London classic

Rules Bar great wood panelled room, the doorman will let you in, just ask

The Coburg Bar
Full of Mayfair suits but good cocktails and a nice atmosphere make it a good place for after work drinks

The Lonsdale been ages since I have been, but I have a vague recollection of good vesper's and a cool crowd

69 Colebrooke Row well recommended by those that have been.

Callooh Callay not been but another well recommended

Time out has a good list, here. My fave is the Nightjar but have a real soft spot for Claridges, even if it is expensive! Bourne and Hollingsworth and 69 Colebrooke Row are next on my list to visit.

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.

I am pretty sure that any American sour mash whiskey that's made mostly from corn and aged in new barrels is bourbon. Also, it says bourbon right on the bottle.
I bought a bottle of their single barrel bourbon, that costs as much as Makers and I didn't like it as much in a cocktail. It tasted a lot like Jameson's actually, and I enjoyed it with a couple ice cubes.

Sazarec's ryes have been getting a lot of good publicity lately, I picked up a bottle at my local store for my first rye experience.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So I drink a fair amount of beer and wine. I enjoy cocktails a lot, too, but I don't make them at home and I haven't been ordering them when I go out for ages. Now that I'm trying to lose some weight, I have the completely unresearched idea that switching over to cocktails will cut some of those calories, or at least it would give me more options than switching to light beers. Is my thinking mistaken? Is it all about the mixers like I assume? If so, does anyone have any good low-calorie cocktail recipes involving whiskey, burbon, or rum? I could do vodka or tequila if my hand were forced. If it gives a good basis for recommendation, my three favorite cocktails are Manhattans, Sidecars, and Whiskey Ginger Ale.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

So I drink a fair amount of beer and wine. I enjoy cocktails a lot, too, but I don't make them at home and I haven't been ordering them when I go out for ages. Now that I'm trying to lose some weight, I have the completely unresearched idea that switching over to cocktails will cut some of those calories, or at least it would give me more options than switching to light beers. Is my thinking mistaken? Is it all about the mixers like I assume? If so, does anyone have any good low-calorie cocktail recipes involving whiskey, burbon, or rum? I could do vodka or tequila if my hand were forced. If it gives a good basis for recommendation, my three favorite cocktails are Manhattans, Sidecars, and Whiskey Ginger Ale.

It would probably cut some of the calories. Sugary mixers are bad, but the problem is, alcohol itself is high in calories so there's no way around that. I'm sure someone can give a better answer, but I believe there's about 60-80 calories in a shot of 80 proof alcohol. So, for a 2.5-3 oz. Manhattan you're looking at 180-240 calories. And seeing how a Manhattan is all booze, that's pretty much as efficient as you can get. Maybe hold the garnish.

With beer, you get about 150 calories per beer, plus all of the carbohydrates. Light beer doesn't make much difference, because the calories saved are usually just equivalent to the amount of alcohol removed from the drink. And it makes the beer taste terrible so what the hell is the point.

e: Recommendation: Based on your like of the Sidecar, try a Between the Sheets:

1 oz. brandy
1 oz. white rum
1 oz. Cointreau
3/4-1 oz. lemon juice

Shaken over ice, strained into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with lemon twist.

That's a pretty drat efficient and classy alcohol delivery system for you. Very similar to the Sidecar, but a lot smoother.

Ernest Hemingway fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 4, 2011

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Xarr posted:

Any of these bars will be able to make a competent sazerac even if they arn't on their list.

Nightjar 20's speakeasy, utter perfection.

Purl I wasn't a huge fan, but I only went for a quiet drink early on a Wednesday so mileage may vary. Cool drinks with dry ice.

Mark's Bar good cocktails, excellent bar snacks and the oyster ale is to die for

Claridges Bar the best service in town, an utter institution and all are made to feel welcome

Dukes Bar ignore the new, crap website, it has the best martinis in town by a long way

The American Bar felt a little impersonal but great cocktails and a London classic

Rules Bar great wood panelled room, the doorman will let you in, just ask

The Coburg Bar
Full of Mayfair suits but good cocktails and a nice atmosphere make it a good place for after work drinks

The Lonsdale been ages since I have been, but I have a vague recollection of good vesper's and a cool crowd

69 Colebrooke Row well recommended by those that have been.

Callooh Callay not been but another well recommended

Time out has a good list, here. My fave is the Nightjar but have a real soft spot for Claridges, even if it is expensive! Bourne and Hollingsworth and 69 Colebrooke Row are next on my list to visit.

I love you so much right now.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bunnielab posted:

Home Depot sells bar accessories, people. Just like they sell car parts and gun parts.

Back in high school whenever we were facing down a particularly brutal/busy kegger, we'd run to Wal-Mart and buy one gallon gas cans and bleach-water them out before using them as our keg cups. Fewer refill waits, integrated carrying handle, and if you flip the vent open you have an instant portable beer funnel.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

feedmyleg posted:

All alcohol is shockingly high-cal. The best way to cut down on calories is to drink less. If you want to drink the same amount, but keep calories low, I'm afraid you'll have to develop a taste for club soda as a mixer. Whiskey-sodas and brandy-sodas are classy, old-school beverages. Rickeys are great, too.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

I really want to use more rye, but I live in NC which means that all liquor stores are state-owned and it's hard to track down stuff that's more out of the mainstream. The only rye I've ever found that's not the fifty-dollar luxury stuff is Wild Turkey or Jim Beam.

Hey, question-- if I don't want to spend the twenty bucks needed for a little bottle of Drambuie (which, while I love, is also really badly-designed as the last two bottles I've had would up leaking all over the place and making everything sticky), do you think I could use Wild Turkey Honey and a little splash of something herbal to make a reasonable substitute?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You'd be better off buying some Famous Grouse, infusing it with some poo poo, and sweetening it with honey. I did not care for the sample bottle I bought of American Honey (I wanted to see if that + bourbon would make a decent Rusty Nail analog that I could call a Golden Spike).

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Better still, lighten up honey with water to the consistency for simple syrup and nic that in; all the honey whisky liquors I've tried are suckingly sweet and under proof.

As for abc regulations in north Carolina, when I lived in Pennsylvania, the state was bound by law to order bottles by request; check whether that applies to you as well.

Simpo
May 1, 2008

Better still, lighten up honey with water to the consistency for simple syrup and nic that in; all the honey whisky liquors I've tried are suckingly sweet and under proof.

I quite like a whisky sour done with a honey syrup instead of simple syrup. Anyone know if it it has a special name?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Ernest Hemingway posted:

1 oz. brandy
1 oz. white rum
1 oz. Cointreau
3/4-1 oz. lemon juice
That's something I need to try.

Is there a cheap line of brandy worth buying for cocktails?

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

that Vai sound posted:

Is there a cheap line of brandy worth buying for cocktails?

I really don't know a whole lot about brandy but St.-Remy VSOP has served me well in the past for sidecars. Or for making Steak au Poivre, which is honestly where most of my brandy goes.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I've had good luck with the landy vs if you're looking for a handle of brandy to cook with. At home, I roll vsop and up.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Gautier is a relatively inexpensive VSOP cognac. I prefer Martell, but the place where I used to buy it raised the price from $27.99 to $38.99 in six months. Blows.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
I'm not sure what the weather is doing by you, but here on Long Island it's getting cold. Made this last night and it was very appropriate for fall.

Cantil Moon Manhattan

1 1/2oz rye
1/2oz Applejack
1oz apple cider
1/4oz sweet vermouth
1 dash cranberry bitters

Stir/strain. Garnish with apple slice(s).

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
Had my first actual Dark n Stormy last night (as in with Black Seal). Holy moley.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

Klauser posted:

I'm not sure what the weather is doing by you, but here on Long Island it's getting cold. Made this last night and it was very appropriate for fall.

Cantil Moon Manhattan

1 1/2oz rye
1/2oz Applejack
1oz apple cider
1/4oz sweet vermouth
1 dash cranberry bitters

Stir/strain. Garnish with apple slice(s).

Is there any sort of consensus regarding replacing Applejack with Calvados? Laird's is the only producer of Applejack and it's not available where I live. There are a few drinks I'd like to try, but I'm hesitant to go buy some Calvados because I don't know if it's an acceptable substitute.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Applejack has a spicier, more assertive taste compared the more polished and mellow taste of Calvados. Ted Haigh says that you can always go Calvados -> applejack, and just have a slightly more feisty drink, but applejack -> Calvados can sometimes yield a drink that lacks fire. In the case of the drink Klauser posted I think Calvados would work fine, since the rye is going to give it plenty of spice.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
^^^ Well said.

Made another drink that is nice for fall.

Trinidad Sour

1oz Angostura bitters
1oz orgeat
3/4oz lemon juice
1/2oz rye

Shake/strain.

Simpo
May 1, 2008

Klauser posted:

^^^ Well said.

Made another drink that is nice for fall.

Trinidad Sour

1oz Angostura bitters
1oz orgeat
3/4oz lemon juice
1/2oz rye

Shake/strain.

That sounds pretty nice. One of these days I'm going to make up a batch of orgeat, one of these days...

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Trinidad Sours are off the hook. They are hella awesome.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Simpo posted:

That sounds pretty nice. One of these days I'm going to make up a batch of orgeat, one of these days...

Be careful making your own orgeat, because without adding artificial stabilizers, it won't be shelf stable. My bar made its own orgeat this summer for a Rye Tai (heh), and besides being needlessly complicated, once it breaks it can make you really sick (nut oils go rancid very quickly).

Besides, there are some very decent commercial orgeats. One very swank place I worked stocked only trader tiki's orgeat, and it was good stuff (plus it had a very sweet, deep brown color).

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
I always keep my homemade orgeat in the fridge and it lasts me a good while without going bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Simpo posted:

Just buy some. I can't imagine the effort of making it is worth it, especially if a bottle of orgeat is keeping you from making this drink.

Kenning posted:

Trinidad Sours are off the hook. They are hella awesome.

Yeah, so much flavor. Nice and intense, in a good way.