Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
I love cocktails, very much. I have been making drinks at home, and enjoying them out, for quite some time now, and my passion for them has only grown, with no signs of slowing down. The world of cocktails is so appealing to me because I think it strikes a great balance between respecting the past and looking toward the future. Enjoying and talking about cocktails with others is one of my favorite ways to spend my time.

Topics to discuss (including but not limited to):

Building your home bar.

This is what I did: Find one drink you want to make, buy everything you need to make it properly, and then make it. Repeat this process until you are satisfied. I say 1 drink because when I say 'buy everything' I am not just talking about booze. Do you have a shaker, strainer, muddler, the proper glass to serve the drink in? Do you need citrus, something to juice the citrus, something to store your simple syrup in? Tools, spirits, juices, glassware, etc. There are lots of components that go into making a drink.

Stocking a home bar is one of those things that gets easier as you go. The initial start up can be a little daunting, that's why I urge people to start slow and keep it simple. After a while, you'll have a handful of bottles in your bar, a nice collection of glasses and tools, and an ever improving idea of what incendentals you should keep on hand (Citrus, juices, etc). Before you know it, when you find a new drink you want to try, you might only need 1 bottle, or as you progress, you'll already have everything you need.

Classic/Innovation

I will admit I am pretty curmudgeonny when it comes to this topic. I tend to prefer classic, simple cocktails. Partly because I think that's just what I prefer taste-wise, but also because I enjoy most of my cocktails at home, which means I am making it. This means drinks that are simple, easy, and delicious are what I like best. I know there are exceptions to every rule, but for the most part I think the classics fall into the simple/easy category, and the newer drinks require more preperation and tend to have longer ingredient lists. When I see a recipe that has 5+ ingredients I lose interest real quick. If you have some drinks that are fairly complicated but you think are worth it, I'm all ears.

Gear

I spent a lot of time and effort when I first started building my collection of tools. I haven't really given them much thought since then, until recently. I am thinking about replacing my Hawthorne strainer for one that is better at stopping little ice chips from getting in my drinks. This has led me to reevaluate all my tools, so that is something I'd love to talk about here.

Drink origin stories

Most great drinks have a great story. One of my favorite ways to get to know a bartender is to have them make me a French 75, and then ask them their thoughts on where the drink came from. On a recent trip to Boston, I did this very thing with two bartenders in different neighborhoods. Not only did they have 2 completely different stories, but they made me two significantly different drinks. Who was right? Who cares. Both drinks were delicious and it's just fun to talk about.

Specific brands in certain drinks

This is something I am just recently getting into. Up until now, when I would see a recipe call for a specific bottle, I would say "I don't have that specific tequila, but I have tequila, I'll just use that" I know different brands taste different, I guess I'm just not convinced that they taste different enough to warrant having multiple brands of the same thing around. Is there a certain brand of rum that is just the absolute best in a daiquiri, for example? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Recipes

Luckily, the sources for cocktail recipes are pretty much endless. Books, blogs, recipe databases, bars, other bartenders, tv shows, this thread, etc. There is so much out there that hearing what other people like and use can help you weed through the crap and make it easier to figure out what you like and what works for you.

The Essential Cocktail by Dale Degroff - This was the book that really got me started. A great source to find drinks you want at home and build your bar.

Ok, let's drink and talk.

Klauser fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Great OP! I've just moved to a new city, and most of my glasses were broken in transit, so I've been starting over from scratch with a few tumblers. Do you find that cocktail (i.e. "martini") glasses make a difference for drinks served up (no ice)? Or can I just use my wine glasses?
Another question, I've been on a rye kick lately, and I've been searching for a good Manhattan recipe, right now I'm using equal parts rye and sweet vermouth with a few (6-8) dashes of Angostura bitters, what's your favorite? Also what brand of vermouth do you prefer? I bought a bottle of Vya sweet vermouth (I love their dry--chilled, with a twist of lemon), and while it works fine for my Negronis, it seems too assertive in a Manhattan. Thanks for making a new cocktail thread!

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a bartender. Well, most call what I do mixology, but I really don't like that title. I work at Scott & Co in Tucson, Az. Proper cocktailing is what I do.

You bar kit, should at the very least include the following:

One or more large mixing tins, with accompanying smaller (cheater) tins. I prefer a cheater tin with a smaller capacity for the feel in my hand when I shake and it makes techniques like the hard shake a little less cumbersome.

One or more Hawthorne strainers. I usually have on hand four or five at work; try to have one for each set of mixing tins.

One or more barspoons. I use Japanese style teardrop barspoons. I like the feel and weight of the teardrop versus a layering spoon or even a forked spoon. If you are serious about cocktailing, don't have a spoon that has holes in it. It's unnecessary for the mixing process, and your spoon is actually a very important measuring device.

One or more mixing pitchers. These are used for stirring drinks, and while optional, I recommend a pitcher against a mixing glass.

One or more julep strainers. Much like your Hawthorne strainers, have as many of these as you have either mixing pitchers, or as many as you may want or need. I have five or six.

Jiggers. I recommend using a graduated measuring cup unless your environment prevents. I work in a very dimly lit bar, so when there I use traditional fluted jiggers. If you are going to use fluted jiggers, I suggest pairing of 1oz & 2oz and 3/4oz & 1 1/2oz. A smaller graduated flute with indicating ridges is nice for smaller measurements of 1/4oz and 1/2oz.

A wooden muddler. That one is simple. Wood only, and don't you dare wash it.

Knives. I use paring and channel knives for garnish, as well as a fruit peeler for twists and zests. It is entirely optional for most home bars, but a zester for fresh nutmeg or cinnamon (for garnishing flips primarily)also does you well to have on hand.

Depending on your level of interest, ice tools are also nice to have. I have a saw, hammer/pick, and cracking hammer all on hand. The saw and hammer/pick being used to prepare the larger pieces of slow frozen dense ice blocks we serve at work, but can be used for the same at home. The cracking hammer is entirely a tools for service ice. We have a Kold Draft ice machine that creates dense 1in cubes that need to be hand cracked in order to effectively dilute a stirred drink.

Swizzle sticks and crushed ice bags are also nice to have around for, well, swizzles; thought they have their place for juleps, mai tais, or anything else you want to serve en frappe (might I suggest aAngostura/Fernet snowcones).

Books? Imbibe! by the amazing Dave Wondrich is a must and in a lot of ways all you really need; everything else is supplementary. Jeffery Morganthaler has a great list of required reading on his blog.

Recipes, spirits, technique, you name it, I can talk for pages about it.

PatMarshall posted:

Great OP! I've just moved to a new city, and most of my glasses were broken in transit, so I've been starting over from scratch with a few tumblers. Do you find that cocktail (i.e. "martini") glasses make a difference for drinks served up (no ice)? Or can I just use my wine glasses?
Another question, I've been on a rye kick lately, and I've been searching for a good Manhattan recipe, right now I'm using equal parts rye and sweet vermouth with a few (6-8) dashes of Angostura bitters, what's your favorite? Also what brand of vermouth do you prefer? I bought a bottle of Vya sweet vermouth (I love their dry--chilled, with a twist of lemon), and while it works fine for my Negronis, it seems too assertive in a Manhattan. Thanks for making a new cocktail thread!

Glassware is glassware, but I hate drinks served in wine glasses, it's so clumsy to drink. Do yourself a favor, go to Goodwill and buy all the champagne coupes they have for 40cents a piece, and use those. The biggest problem with using a wine glass is temperature of the glass itself. You can chill wine glasses, but that's why they are so clumsy. You always want to chill your glassware, and unless your drink is frappe, doing so with a wine glass is a joke.

As for the second part of your post, keep in mind the spice and drier nature of rye. I prefer Italian sweet vermouth for a Manhattan. Carpano Antica is my go to, but Punt E Mes will do just fine as well.

My recipe is 2oz spirit, 3/4 vermouth, 2 dash Ango, thick orange zest.

I enjoy ango as much as the next, but 6-8 dashes in a Manhattan goes from enthusiastic to overboard.

Also, if you haven't already, do yourself a favor and make a Left Hand, the rye variation of a Negroni. Garnish it with an orange zest in lieu of the grapefruit however.

Choom Gangster fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 22, 2011

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
So sorry for your loss.

I believe the glass you drink a cocktail out of is a significant part of the experience, so yeah, I do think it makes a difference.

If all you have right now is wine glasses, then, by all means, serve away. Keep in mind, though, that mostly there is such a thing as a proper glass for a drink.

If you're looking to expand your collection from there, I would say get some coupe glasses over martinis. I will serve those martini style drinks (Manhattan, Rob Roy, Martinez, Negroni, Cosmo) in martini glasses but virtually everything else I make goes into a coupe. Plus they're fun to drink bubbly out of. Although if you make mostly Manhattans and Negronis then maybe martini should be your first choice. Oh well, listen to your heart I guess.

Rye is one of my favorite spirits. The recipe I use for a Manhattan is: 2oz rye, 1oz sweet vermouth, 2 dashes Angostura, cherry garnish.

I have only made Manhattans with Martini & Rossi and Punt e Mes. I prefer Punt e Mes by a fair margin.

I haven't tried Vya yet, but perhaps the reason you think it is so assertive is because you are using it in a 1:1 ratio, try toning it down.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

So called "Martini" glasses are not actually called that. They are cocktail glasses. I actually prefer, as I mentioned before, champagne coupes for most drinks. If it's a smaller stirred cocktail like say, an Alaska, Saratoga, or Negroni, I prefer California glasses. And sours need an extra ounce or so of capacity so a larger, commonly 6oz, champagne coupe is ideal.

Klauser, Manhattans rarely get any sort of cherry garnish traditionally, though contemporary recipes usually call for them, and need at least some element of citrus to really round out the aroma.

And Negronis are not part of the Martinez family. Nor the Cosmo, but what family does it deserve in the first place?

I totally forgot. For everyone looking to construct themselves a nice home bar, 12 Bottle Bar is a great starting point.

Did I mention you should read Imbibe!? You should read Imbibe!.

Choom Gangster fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 22, 2011

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I was going to make a cocktail thread, had it all typed up but I was drunk on Mojitos and deleted it :(

Anyway. I'm a bartender, too. The last bar I worked in for over a year was a cocktail bar, but one of the newer types, where everything is fruity and has a name with an innuendo. A lot of people look down on them, but it's still a cocktail.

I believe that the main thing that stops a lot of people achieving bar-quality drinks at home is ice. Most people have poor ice, or just not enough of it to properly make a drink. I know I only have 1-2 ice trays in my freezer, which is barely enough for one shaken drink.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cocktail blogs? I'm following Cocktail Chronicles, Mixology Monday, Pegu, and Kaiser Penguin. Any other ones worth reading?

I have a craving for a dirty martini now, and I'm not sure why.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I believe that the main thing that stops a lot of people achieving bar-quality drinks at home is ice.

Different kinds of ice is something I would get more into if I had the room to do it. As of right now I have 2 standard ice trays, one of those canvas bags for crushing, and a silicone ice tray that makes huge cubes. I use it for drinks that get served over a huge rock, which I am really into right now. I guess it would be nice to have something to make smaller perfect cubes for drinks that go in a chimney glass, but I get by just fine as it is.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for cocktail blogs?

I have quite a few in my reader but these are the ones I find the most interesting:

The aforementioned 12 Bottle Bar
Cocktalia
Post Prohibition
Summit Sips

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Choom Gangster posted:

I work at Scott & Co in Tucson, Az. Proper cocktailing is what I do.

I think I may know you.

Listen to these guys, best goddamn drinks in town.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 23, 2011

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have about 1/5 of a bottle of vodka left over (what's a fifth by the way? not 1/5 the other thing). What should I mix it with? Where do I get glasses and shot glasses and stuff? I tried the liquor store but they don't have glasses and poo poo. Also, what else can I make with something besides vodka? How does rum, jaegermeister, etc. work?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Pollyanna posted:

I have about 1/5 of a bottle of vodka left over (what's a fifth by the way? not 1/5 the other thing). What should I mix it with? Where do I get glasses and shot glasses and stuff? I tried the liquor store but they don't have glasses and poo poo. Also, what else can I make with something besides vodka? How does rum, jaegermeister, etc. work?

A fifth is slang for a bottle containing a fifth of a gallon, or roughly 750mL.

Because it's basically flavorless, vodka can pretty much go with anything. Juice, pop, spaghetti sauce, adding kick to wine & beer... Literally any type of soda will work, for example. Vodka & orange soda on the rocks is especially nice.

You can get glasses at a wal-mart equivalent, or really nice ones at a home/kitchen boutique store. Kitchen supply shops are an especially good, if bland source for glasses. Cheap and practical is the name of the game there.

As for the last question, I'm not sure if I'm parsing it right, but https://www.cocktaildb.com is an excellent reference for mixed drink knowledge. You can find recipes by either the name of a cocktail, or by typing in the ingredients you want to use. And of course, trial and error will give you experience.

For example, I used a shot of pepper infused vodka to three parts Canada Dry, and it tasted almost like ginger beer. I'm gonna use a stronger ginger ale next time though.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

This is not very fancy, but the favorite thing i like to do with vodka is the Red Star (at least that's what we call it).
You take a shot of vodka, add 1 cl of Grenadine syrup to it, then 5 drops of Tabasco (5 points of the star).

It's a nice contrast between the cool alcoholic taste of the vodka, the tart sweetness of the grenadine, and the vinegary hotness of tabasco.

Also the grenadine settles as a red layer under the vodka, it looks cool..

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
The only book i recommend is Kingsley Amis On Drinking

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

Great response to Pollyannas post

Thanks for this. The only thing I really have to add is I used to drink vodka with grape juice and Sprite.

Choom Gangster posted:

Klauser, Manhattans rarely get any sort of cherry garnish traditionally, though contemporary recipes usually call for them, and need at least some element of citrus to really round out the aroma.

I brandy my own cherries and I really think they go very well in the drink. I will definitely try an orange peel next time I make some with friends to get some feedback. What about a lemon peel, or orange bitters, or lemon bitters?

eine dose socken posted:

This is not very fancy, but the favorite thing i like to do with vodka is the Red Star (at least that's what we call it).

For fun, I looked the Red Star up to see if it had any recipes posted online. Looks like the most common one is equal parts vodka & grenadine with some lemon juice. Have you ever tried adding lemon juice to it? Also, if you pour the grenadine down the side of the glass it should help it settle faster.

branedotorg posted:

The only book i recommend is Kingsley Amis On Drinking

It probably would have been cool to have a drink with this dude.

StealthStealth
Aug 28, 2007

dogs eatin' cake

Klauser posted:

Specific brands in certain drinks

This is something I am just recently getting into. Up until now, when I would see a recipe call for a specific bottle, I would say "I don't have that specific tequila, but I have tequila, I'll just use that" I know different brands taste different, I guess I'm just not convinced that they taste different enough to warrant having multiple brands of the same thing around. Is there a certain brand of rum that is just the absolute best in a daiquiri, for example? I would love to hear your thoughts.

My favorite drink is the Dark N Stormy, which is actually trademarked by Gosling's. I normally make them with Gosling's and consider other rums a "variation" (Kraken is quite good).

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Thanks for making this thread, gonna be following this one closely.

The wife and I just got into making cocktails after we realized that we drink too much beer and our liquor has just been sitting around. We have some of the stuff needed for proper cocktailing, however, we need to add to our 'mixers'. Currently only have Grenedine, Rose's Lime Juice, Triple Sec, and Dry Vermouth.

My favorite thus far is a proper gin and juice.

2 oz Gin
3 oz Orange Juice
2 oz Grapefruit Juice
Wedge of Lime

So f'n good.

I do have one question though, when a book says a 'measure of X' does that mean it's all in relation to the other measure's that are listed?

For Example
2 measures of gin
2 measures of grenadine
1 measure of fresh lime juice

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 23, 2011

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Regnevelc posted:

I do have one question though, when a book says a 'measure of X' does that mean it's all in relation to the other measure's that are listed?

For Example
2 measures of gin
2 measures of grenadine
1 measure of fresh lime juice

Yes, it's just indicating the proportions and you can scale it to fit your glassware.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
It's generally 30mls (1 liquid ounce-ish)

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

StealthStealth posted:

My favorite drink is the Dark N Stormy, which is actually trademarked by Gosling's. I normally make them with Gosling's and consider other rums a "variation" (Kraken is quite good).

This makes loads of sense. I guess the fewer ingredients a drink has, the more important the ingredients become. I have been trying lots of different ginger beers in my Dark & Stormys. Much cheaper than trying different rums. So far my favorite is Regatta. They use cane sugar instead of HFCS and the 8oz cans are a great size, you feel like you're wasting less.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

that awful man posted:

Yes, it's just indicating the proportions and you can scale it to fit your glassware.

branedotorg posted:

It's generally 30mls (1 liquid ounce-ish)

Thanks you two. I already assumed a measure indicated an oz, so I'll just keep believing that. I just whipped up a "New York Experience" Bourbon, Triple Sec, and Dry Vermouth, yum.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
"I normally make them with Gosling's and consider other rums a "variation" (Kraken is quite good)."

You cant make a dark and stormy with a spiced rum.

Also try mixing Goslings and a high quality root beer.

Irving
Jun 21, 2003

StealthStealth posted:

A Kentucky Mule is similar, and I like it even better than a Dark and Stormy. Bourbon + ginger beer + bitters + wedge of lime in a mule or mint julep cup brimming with ice. Perfection.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Regnevelc posted:

I just whipped up a "New York Experience" Bourbon, Triple Sec, and Dry Vermouth, yum.

Ok so I went ahead and made this. I used Michters small batch, Cointreau, and Martini & Rossi Dry.

Thanks for posting, I really like it. I have to admit this isn't a recipe I would normally see and think 'Oh I'm gonna make that'. I really like the way the vermouth and Cointreau work together, and how the bourbon is just sort of...there, through everything.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Alright you guys. Tell me where the hell we got the idea that those top-heavy cocktail glasses were a good idea? To be fair, I can't be trusted with a champagne flute, but I really find cocktail glasses to be unreasonably difficult to maneuver in a close space. I just get everything in tumblers. There, I admitted it. :colbert:

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
I was given a bottle of lavender bitters. It is really strong and expensive. Any ideas?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

So since I started my latest job, I've been saving a couple of bucks to go towards my alcohol hoard to try and build up a decent bar. Add in some gifts and some leftovers from bottle parties, and this is what I have sitting on my shelf. (See if you can tell that I don't like to drop a lot at once on a bottle.)

Jose Cuervo Silver (Eh. I use it to make margaritas or LIITs)
Don Julio Reposado (Miles better than the Cuervo. I can actually sip this tequila, and I "hated" tequila. This was a gift, and turned me onto tequila.)
Llord's Triple Sec (I have not used any other triple sec. Can't comment on it there. Decent enough for me, I guess.)
Amaretto Di Amore (Okay, but tastes noticeably artificial. Should've sprung for DiSaronno, which tastes great and I guess as a contributing factor to it being the standard amaretto. This artificial taste is only there when it's on its own [who does that?] or is in a drink with just this and another ingredient.)
Pinnacle Tropical Punch vodka (Leftover. Goes great with blue hawaiian punch.)
Stock Vermouth [Dry and Sweet] (It was cheap. Leave me alone.)
Angostoura bitters
Banana Jack rum (Very banana-ey. Don't know what to do with this.)
Blackheart rum (Got this on a whim. Really sweet.)
2 small bottles of Tanqueray (I love a G&T. Both of these were gifts.)
Gordon's gin (Or a dirty, dirty, dirty martini.)
Dewar's White label (very :geno: as far as scotches go, in my experience. Not bad at all, seriously. But nothing great about it.)
Ezra Brooks whiskey (Got this to see if I could an under the radar bourbon. Does well for my purposes. It is at least Evan Williams or JD quality. I drink my bourbon straight or on the rocks.)
Seagram's 7 (Have not drank much of it. Had one manhattan with it.)
Bacardi Superior (Have half a handle left of this. Will probably be put to use in LIITs or some other big mishmosh drink.)

Over one summer, my bar has grown immensely. I mean, for a 22 year-old college student with a lovely part time job who only spends the very last of his cash on booze.

Strangely absent is a vodka. Just a regular ol' vodka. I never want to buy it because 1)At least 3 friends will bring vodka to a bottle party 2)I don't want plain ol' vodka. I want to try something with flavor. 3)When I do buy it, I get high-proof and make limoncello. So pushing myself to get a vodka would serve me well. I'd also like to get a dark rum (Most likely Black Seal, but I'm open to other suggestions.) I'd still like to be able to make the most of what I have now.

Anybody have some good cocktail recommendations for me for my bar? Upgrade options (That I haven't already listed?) If it matters at all, I really like tasting the Tanqueray in a G&T, or the whiskey in a manhattan, or the scotch in a rusty nail. (This is probably leading to me upgrading those listed ingredients, huh?)

Content: I recently fell in love with Lynchberg Lemonades.
2 Bourbon
1 Triple Sec
2 Sour
Fill the rest with 7-up.

For more content, I will share the Sad Italian.
2 Amaretto
1 Blue Curacao
1 Sour

So it's a blue amaretto sour. I do not know why people went wild for them.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Banana Jack rum (Very banana-ey. Don't know what to do with this.)
This plus vodka and redbull. There's also some 99 bananas runt recipe somewhere and you should be able to replace the 99 bananas with the banana jack. IIRC the latter is much more complex though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Picked up a bottle of Cointreau in the supermarket because why not and god drat I love this stuff

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Stock Vermouth [Dry and Sweet] (It was cheap. Leave me alone.)

Really? I find the dry Stock is about on the same level as Noilly Prat as far as martinis go, I haven't yet tried the sweet variety though.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Pile of Kittens posted:

Tell me where the hell we got the idea that those top-heavy cocktail glasses were a good idea?

I agree. These glasses feel like they were designed to spill. As far as I can tell the actual design of them is this: The stem is to keep your hand off the bowl, so the drink stays chilled longer. The big opening is designed to let the aroma from the drink fill your nose. While I am not a huge fan of the design, there are a handful of drinks that just don't seem right if not served in one.

Two Worlds posted:

I was given a bottle of lavender bitters. It is really strong and expensive. Any ideas?
The lusty Lady

2 oz gin, ½ oz lime juice, ½ oz simple, 1/8 oz cranberry juice, one egg white, 2 to 3 dashes of Scrappy’s Lavender bitters, shake until frothy and serve up with brandied cherries

Dr Girlfriend…

1 1/4 oz gin, 1/2 oz elderflower, 1/2 oz aperol, 3/4 oz Grapefruit Juice, 1/2 oz Lemon Juice, float Scrappy’s lavender bitters

Periwinkle
In a cocktail shaker over cracked ice, pour
1½ oz gin,
½ oz Grand Marnier, and add
1 strong dash (~1 tsp) lavender bitters.
Shake to chill, strain into a cocktail glass.
Garnish with a lemon twist.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Lots of stuff about their bar

Honestly I'm not sure you need more bottles at this point. You might want to try some cheap/easy things to get more use out of the bottles you already have. Make some simple syrup and pick up some fresh citrus. Sodas are your friend here too.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Klauser posted:

Ok so I went ahead and made this. I used Michters small batch, Cointreau, and Martini & Rossi Dry.

Thanks for posting, I really like it. I have to admit this isn't a recipe I would normally see and think 'Oh I'm gonna make that'. I really like the way the vermouth and Cointreau work together, and how the bourbon is just sort of...there, through everything.

I agree, this drink is going to go into my rotation. I was out of Bourbon this weekend or I would have had quite a few more.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Two Worlds posted:

Try adding a dash or two to the Bee's Knees:

2.0 oz. gin
0.75 oz honey syrup (mix equal parts hot water and honey, let cool)
0.5 oz lemon juice

Shake, strain, serve up.

I read a few recipes for this cocktail that called for obscure floral ingredients, so your lavender bitters may achieve a similar effect, as well as rounding out what a cocktail that is on the sweet side.

E: Typo.

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 27, 2011

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

DasNeonLicht posted:

Try adding a dash or two to the Bee's Knees:

2.0 oz. gin
0.75 oz honey syrup (mix equal parts hot water and honey, let cool)
0.5 oz lemon juice

Shake, strain, serve up.

I read a few recipes for this cocktail that called for obscure floral ingredients, so your lavender bitters may achieve a similar effect, as well as rounding out what a cocktail that is on the sweet side.

That sounds awesome, and I'm trying it, but here's a caveat:
I bet the success of this cocktail, especially with lavender, depends on which gin you make it with. Gins have very different flavors, based on things like what botanicals are used in them and the amount and strength of juniper flavor; the garnishes things that complement them best vary wildly. I've had gins that were awesome with cucumber, but weren't done any favors at all by olives.

I guess I'm just saying if you tried this and it was terrible, you might try it again with a different gin. I bet a neutral, mellow gin like the low-shelf Gordon's or Gilbey's would work fine.

Choom Gangster posted:

As for the second part of your post, keep in mind the spice and drier nature of rye. I prefer Italian sweet vermouth for a Manhattan. Carpano Antica is my go to, but Punt E Mes will do just fine as well.

My recipe is 2oz spirit, 3/4 vermouth, 2 dash Ango, thick orange zest.

I enjoy ango as much as the next, but 6-8 dashes in a Manhattan goes from enthusiastic to overboard.

I can't wait to try one of these old school Manhattans; we always have used cherry.

I made my first successful Mint Julep recently. I'd short-cutted the first time and muddled mint in the shaker, added crushed ice, too much powdered sugar, a splash of water and bourbon. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't good.
This time I actually cooked up a 1/2 cup of simple syrup with about 50 coarsely chopped mint leaves and let it sit in the fridge for over an hour before straining it onto 2 glasses full of crushed ice, then added 4 oz. bourbon to each (I used Evan Williams because I was afraid of loving up 8 oz. of Makers Mark) and a couple more leaves of mint.
I also actually followed a recipe's instruction to serve it wit a straw that's been trimmed to just over the glass rim.
It was wonderful; little details can really make a huge difference in a cocktail.

What do the pros do for a Julep?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Very Strange Things posted:

What do the pros do for a Julep?

Drink a Pimm's Cup instead.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Isn't that some kind of Gin Sling? Those are for kids and the British.

edit: I just looked it up. Gin and lemon soda? 25% alcohol? You loving troll.
(I've never seen one with mint, so I had no idea why you would have even compared them; apparently it's common at cricket matches or other sorts of picnics.)

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 27, 2011

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
No, it's Pimm's #1 (which is gin based), with cucumber, lemon, and a bit of ginger ale. Pros add cucumber vodka as well. And it's a must at horseraces, which is where the julep is also found. Thus it's appropriateness.

hedonista
Feb 23, 2007

why is grief. grief is strange black. sugar is melting. we will not swim.
Pimm's is awesome! Also it's the first thing that was shoved into my hand when I landed in Malta the night of the last world cup final so it is a sentimental favorite.

A big icy pitcher of Pimm's, lemonade, thin orange/strawberry/cucumber slices, and mint on a hot summer day is great. (Alcoholics' tip: add some citrus vodka or gin for a kick!)

e: ^^See it's kind of like a sangria in its possible variations. Also I need to locate some cucumber vodka asap.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Worst thing about the end of summer is no more Pimm's Cup. :(

e: Pimm's is pretty much the best drink-all-day drink there is.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I could drink Pimm's all day, every day. One of my favorite cocktails.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Well gosh, look at how wrong I must be.
It still sounds like a drink for teenage girls, but I'll try anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_R6YpLpV90

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I never knew a teenage girl that wasn't me to drink gin.