Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

bloody ghost titty posted:

No.

No.

Bad Fart Car.

Re:smoking sugar.

They probably spread the sugar out n a tray and put it in a smoker, yo. I can picture how I would do it at my place and it would be really easy.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Had an aviation tonight, it was awesome. I was surprised how sweet it was. And next week I get to go back and not have to worry about driving.

Actually, how about suggestions of what to get? I like manhattans/rob roys, sidecars, French 75s, G&Ts, and gimlets. I like negronis, but I felt like the boulevardier was too complicated and heavy. I'm definitely going to order a Last Word.

You should enjoy last word quite a bit. I'd maybe suggest a jack rose, but it's about on par (sweetness wise) as the aviation, so you might not like them.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Fart Car '97 posted:

Re:smoking sugar.

They probably spread the sugar out n a tray and put it in a smoker, yo. I can picture how I would do it at my place and it would be really easy.

Even if you don't have a smoker a gravity bong and a dome made from there other half of the soda/water/champagne bottle will do the trick as long as you have adequate surface area.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm gonna make a 1/6 portion of Frank Forrester's Punch to test it for a large party. I was thinking of using Jasmine Green Tea instead of regular green tea. Terrible idea? Feel like the flavor is pretty unique and great.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone wanna recommend a good cheap absinthe

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Absinthe isn't cheap, but one bottle lasts a looking time. Get St. George or Ridge or LA Sorcière.

Comb Your Beard posted:

I'm gonna make a 1/6 portion of Frank Forrester's Punch to test it for a large party. I was thinking of using Jasmine Green Tea instead of regular green tea. Terrible idea? Feel like the flavor is pretty unique and great.

That should be great! Also: congrats on going for Frank Forester's. It'll be great.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Kenning posted:

Absinthe isn't cheap, but one bottle lasts a looking time. Get St. George or Ridge or LA Sorcière.

The good news is that at least the st george comes in a 375ml, not sure about the others. Still looking at $40ish.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I feel like a heritic. I shook a boulvardier this evening instead if stirring it.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Honestly wouldn't mind reading what that menu is, if you can share it (presumably after it drops, that is).

Apart from the whole taboo of mixing business with internet, I don't really see why not. I'm sure parts of it would be ripped into by some of the more experienced bartenders here, but if I weren't thick skinned I wouldn't be where I am in the first place. I'm excited about it and proud of it. Once Monday rolls around I'll share some. I'd love to see what everyone else is doing too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is Pernod really that great compared to the other absinthes?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

No.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Took a holiday down to Hobart for 2 weeks. Brought back two bottles of Australian Gin to enjoy. McHenry Dry Gin & Sloe Gin. I just tried my first Martini with McHenry Dry Gin and Noilly Prat, followed by a Forty Spotted Gin which is another Tasmanian Gin I already had. I have to say we can make a drat fine Gin Down Unda™ without bias. I did prefer McHenry but they're both pricey enough locally the Forty Spotted Gin would probably make my top shelf, after learning in research for this short post that Forty Spotted Gin is actually made by Lark Distillery (which I saw in their bar), I can now easily segue into praising Lark Distillery for their Single Malt Cask Strength Scotch, superb. They also kindly served me many wonderful whiskys in my three(!) visits in two weeks. Shout out to Bowmore for making an excellent Islay. (I'd tell you which in particular but their website is down).

Unfortunately I've been back behind the bar since then a week and a half ago and in my stress-induced stupidity I nearly took the rind off my thumb trying to save about 20c on an old half-lemon from the fridge to go with about $10.50 of booze. My god this Gin is expensive :stonk:.

Edit: One word isn't much of a praising but trust me that Lark Distillery is making really excellent scotch way down south.

Magog fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 8, 2016

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I made a lemon-pomegranate shrub at the bar last night that is loving amazing :thurman:

Also with a good press you get a shocking amount of juice from a single pomegranate. I was able to make 8 cups of shrub from 4 granates and 13 lemons. Definitely going to look at getting a good big home press now.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 9, 2016

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Hey Kenning, you around? I'm making your Pinkhouse Punch for a potluck tonight. Just got back from the store, realized I forgot turbinado sugar. Will white sugar work, or is it worth it for me to head back out to Kroger?

edit: just did some googling and it looks like white sugar will work fine. I'll update with how it tastes. Also the normally-has-everything beer and wine shop didn't have a single goddamn bottle of barleywine so I got some Founders Curmudgeon instead, which is essentially the same thing. We'll see how it goes.

prayer group fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 10, 2016

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
PUNCH UPDATE: used white sugar, Bushmills whiskey, and a bottle of Founders Curmudgeon in place of barleywine. Came out absolutely delicious. Thanks kenning!

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!
My wife told me she wanted to have mimosas with the fresh OJ we picked up from the market earlier this week, so I picked up some nice Cava after work, and made her a mimosa, and me a French 75.

We're now both drinking French 75's.

Sorry tomorrow work selves. :getin:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Capt. Awesome posted:

My wife told me she wanted to have mimosas with the fresh OJ we picked up from the market earlier this week, so I picked up some nice Cava after work, and made her a mimosa, and me a French 75.

We're now both drinking French 75's.

Sorry tomorrow work selves. :getin:

Good call, mimosas are awful.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Mimosas are for open bars with terrible beer/wine and no liquor, they are a valuable part of the drunk ecosystem

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I hate mimosas with a passion because we don't have a back during brunch and I have to clean all those loving champagne flutes myself while also juggling bartending/serving/bussing/drinkmaking/non-flute-glass-washing

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

poop dood posted:

PUNCH UPDATE: used white sugar, Bushmills whiskey, and a bottle of Founders Curmudgeon in place of barleywine. Came out absolutely delicious. Thanks kenning!

Great! Glad it worked out. I would have recommended you just go ahead with the white sugar, so good call.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Test batch of Frank Forester's Punch tastes pretty good.

300 mL E&J XO Brandy
800 mL Jasmine Green Tea
200 mL Lemon Peel Oleo Saccharum Turbinado Syrup
200 mL DeKuyper Triple Sec
750 mL Brut Cava (cheap $6 bottle from Trader Joe's)
100 mL Lemon Juice

This green tea is tricky, I brewed with below boiling water but probably too long, getting those astringent tannins, tea thread knows what's up. Tastes sublime when brewed perfectly, jasmine is really nice floral note in the punch. I'll dial it in more carefully next time. Using French Press. I know E&J isn't Cognac but I love the flavor esp for the value. Might spring for the Grand Marnier.

I make lemon peel syrup in advance and add a splash of Everclear to preserve it. Put it in Sazeracs. So I didn't really measure out the sugar.

I might break out this punch later in the evening, it's a housewarming party with some older family starting in the afternoon.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Barrel Aged Vieux Carre is finished. It's fantastic. Smokey up front, rich and velvety with a tail that lingers for ages.

Wasting no time, the next cocktail went in right after:

1/3 Flor de Caña 7 Year
1/3 Dolin Blanc
1/3 Rothman & Winter Orchard Cherry (Cherry heering not available :( )

Obviously when it's done, blood orange will be added.

I'm dubbing it Blood & Sandinistas :smuggo:

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 14, 2016

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Vermouth doesn't go bad when barrel aged? I can barely get through a small bottle in the fridge before it starts to lose its flavor so if I could make a batch of boulevardiers to keep around that would be pretty rad.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Horn posted:

Vermouth doesn't go bad when barrel aged? I can barely get through a small bottle in the fridge before it starts to lose its flavor so if I could make a batch of boulevardiers to keep around that would be pretty rad.

The booze should preserve it, and it'll last at least a month in your fridge anyways.

Edit: also a lot of (all? Just sweet/red? Somebody inform me) vermouths are already barrel aged.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

Barrel Aged Vieux Carre is finished. It's fantastic. Smokey up front, rich and velvety with a tail that lingers for ages.

Wasting no time, the next cocktail went in right after:

1/3 Flor de Caña 7 Year
1/3 Dolin Blanc
1/3 Rothman & Winter Orchard Cherry (Cherry heering not available :( )

Obviously when it's done, blood orange will be added.

I'm dubbing it Blood & Sandinistas :smuggo:

That's gonna be sweet as hell, but also probably sweet as hell. You're gonna add fresh blood orange juice I'm assuming (hence the blood and sand)? I'd be interested to see how that works out. I want to do a barrel aged last word and add lime juice, just because. I don't think it'll be amazing, but who knows.

I kinda wanna do a spring time barreled cocktail, but I also don't care too much if I don't. I was thinking a Blanco tequila something.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Maestro posted:

That's gonna be sweet as hell, but also probably sweet as hell. You're gonna add fresh blood orange juice I'm assuming (hence the blood and sand)? I'd be interested to see how that works out. I want to do a barrel aged last word and add lime juice, just because. I don't think it'll be amazing, but who knows.

I kinda wanna do a spring time barreled cocktail, but I also don't care too much if I don't. I was thinking a Blanco tequila something.

It won't be any sweeter than a normal blood and sand, the added sugar from the rum is balanced by using the Dolin Blanc instead of the sweeter rouge.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Horn posted:

It oxidizes. Whether that is going bad or what is a matter of taste.

Sweet vermouth is caramel colored white wine aromatized with herbs and fortified with a bit of spirit to keep from re-fermenting the added sugar.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I can't stop watching these online bar school videos please help me. Simple syrup is definitely a lot more "liquidy" than a sugar cube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWeVRxR1qek

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
All the folks hitting Trader Vic's on their way to the Hukilau must be thrilled that mahalo.com is getting put to such good use.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
This is the only youtube cocktail lesson you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8wkS5MPg7w

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Butt Ox posted:

This is the only youtube cocktail lesson you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8wkS5MPg7w

Seconded. I'll be sure to use that as a demonstration video when making my own!

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Frank Forrester's punch went very well! Apparently I have a handsome 5 liter punch bowl of heavy glass as a wedding present I hadn't picked up from the inlaws. Scaled it 2 bottles of Cava Brut, eyeballed all the proportions, did the smaller-bowl ice block technique. Hit it with a little bit of Angosutra and Regan's orange, some club soda, and used jasmine green tea as I said before. Otherwise pretty faithful to the recipe. Very quaffable for sure, it got finished.

Thanks cocktails thread.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 22, 2016

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Happy national margarita day. Can Patron Citronge spoil? I've got a little 375 mL bottle I've kept in the liquor cabinet, cork in, and it's got little bits of particulate all throughout the liquor. Almost looks like whenever simple syrup turns cloudy and then molds.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know everyone here is all about Camparties, but don't forget about the Dog's Nose. Gin and beer. I just started in one one with Seagrams and a local-ish red ale. The flavors work surprisingly well together.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I have done unspeakable things under the influence of beer powered up with gin. Never again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What? No. No no no. Campari goes in beer.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
So if you were going to "power up" a darker beer, something like Old Chub, is that still Campari or does it call for something else?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You power up a Scotch ale with more scotch, of course.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Ben Nevis posted:

So if you were going to "power up" a darker beer, something like Old Chub, is that still Campari or does it call for something else?

It's not really powering up depending on the ABV of the beer, but a splash of port does wonders for a lot of stouts and porters.

Brandy is good too. Scotch and bourbon tend to be overpowering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've been known to tip a bit of gin into a Session Black. Feels good man.