Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
We're serving our bourbon barrel Negroni for $7 instead of the $15 it normally is, and our dumbass hick bar manager has prepared a Negroni recipe with hibiscus-infused gin, which actually doesn't sound so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Lol its ok I'm the dumbass bar manager whos gonna try and incorporate tamarind

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'm gonna drink a buncha negronis this week

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'm gonna drink a buncha negronis this week

Will do my part as well. Olazzo in Bethesda, MD makes an excellent one.

Edit: and of course they are not on the charity's list. Will have to trek into DC instead.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

When I get home from my business trip I am drinking three

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah uh I guess I'll make a bunch of them at home?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
When I have a week that isn't Negroni week, I'll let you know!

I recently had a great Negroni at a pizza place that, like, ripped the roof off so they could drop in their imported Italian pizza oven, so you know they take this stuff seriously. The best one in town is still the place that garnishes it with candied orange peel, though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've heard some people call this a version of a Negroni, but I think it has more to do with the proportions than anything. I don't know the original source, but I first had it at Proof in Calgary.

The Trident

1 oz. Akavit
1 oz. Cynar
1 oz. amontillado sherry
2 dashes peach bitters

Great, but definitely ingredients most people don't have lying around.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

PT6A posted:

I've heard some people call this a version of a Negroni, but I think it has more to do with the proportions than anything. I don't know the original source, but I first had it at Proof in Calgary.

The Trident

1 oz. Akavit
1 oz. Cynar
1 oz. amontillado sherry
2 dashes peach bitters

Canon in Seattle.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

PT6A posted:

The Trident

1 oz. Akavit
1 oz. Cynar
1 oz. amontillado sherry
2 dashes peach bitters

That sounds so good.

Not Negroni-related, but I made this up today:

2oz reposado tequila
1oz Muscadet (very dry, kinda briny French white wine)
1oz Cocchi Americano
3 muddled basil leaves

Muddle basil with a bit of tequila, build over ice, shake, double-strain into coupe, lime twist. The tequila and wine do crazy things together, this spicy note comes out in the midpalate. Light, very dry, as green as a Last Word. Might call it La Palabra Final since it looks so much like that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I got gifted a bottle of St Germain for my birthday. I've never had elderflower anything before and I love it, it almost smells tropical.

What are your favorite cocktails for this.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Google 2008, you'll be fine.

RIP Rob Cooper

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

St. Germaine is delicious but use it sparingly, the flavor is really intense and easily overpowers drinks.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Just used some capillaire in a local blueberry Berliner weisse. Regret nothing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

There's a place near here that does gin, muddled basil, St. Germain, tonic, soda, squeeze of lime, served on the rocks in either an old fashioned or double old fashioned glass. I really like it. You would have to figure out the ratios yourself.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
That's weird. I've made the exact same cocktail at home a couple times just futzing around.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Our other bartender has some drink that he wants to menu with st. germain and cynar that I'm supposed to try today; I'll report back if it's any good because that's an intriguing combo

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Halloween Jack posted:

That's weird. I've made the exact same cocktail at home a couple times just futzing around.

What ratios did you use

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Had some Thai basil left over, made Thai basil daiquiris.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

What ratios did you use

I'd do something like 2 oz gin, .5-.75 lime, .5 st germain, .5-1 tonic, top with 3-4oz soda. I like a lot of lime though, so I'd do .75-1 for myself. I'd want the st germain to accent and not overpower.

Cynar and st germain...I am intrigued, and initially put off. But stranger things have worked. Base spirit? Something fresh like white rum or Blanco tequila? I could see a cachaca, pisco, or agricole rum working. Even a mezcal would be interesting.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Mine was, trying to remember, 2 oz. gin, 0.5 St. German, 0.5 lime. I eyeballed the tonic and soda (I was using up what was left from the night before) but probably 2 oz. tonic and 3-4 soda. Lots of basil, though. I like basil.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kinda want to try whey spirits, now:

https://talesofthecocktail.com/products/new-trendy-spirits-botanical-milk

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I've been using thatchers blueberry liqueur for a while now, and for some reason it's been out of stock for a couple weeks. Anybody know of a good replacement (besides making my own) or even why it's been out? I was thinking they were repackaging, but it's been too long for that. Produce issues I guess.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Question about making pisco sours: I'm trying to go out on a picnic kind of outing, so I'm trying to see how much prep work I can do before actually being outside. How far in advance can I make the pisco sours, what with them having egg whites in them and all? Is there a substitute for egg whites that doesn't compromise the cocktail? Thanks!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Made some Allspice Dram at home, it came out almost exactly like St. Elizabeth's except at a fraction of the price :c00l:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

Question about making pisco sours: I'm trying to go out on a picnic kind of outing, so I'm trying to see how much prep work I can do before actually being outside. How far in advance can I make the pisco sours, what with them having egg whites in them and all? Is there a substitute for egg whites that doesn't compromise the cocktail? Thanks!

Are you going to be shaking the drinks at the picnic? Pisco sours are not going to be the easiest drink to prepare in advance.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

goferchan posted:

Are you going to be shaking the drinks at the picnic?

That's what I'm trying to figure out, haha.

Maybe I can mix everything sans eggwhite beforehand, then mix with the eggwhite at the picnic? I might just say gently caress it and just make the drinks completely at the picnic, but I was just checking my options.

Followup question: what else goes with pisco sours other than ceviche?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I guess you could pre-batch everything but the egg and have a container with egg whites in it on the side, which you'd combine and shake there. But then you'd be needing to tote around all the ice for the shaking. If you're making more than a couple it sounds like a pain in the butt tbqh.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
You could try aquafaba (chickpea water) with the pisco sour.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

DontAskKant posted:

You could try aquafaba (chickpea water) with the pisco sour.

Never even heard of this before, hah!

Thanks for the advice y'all, think I'll just figure out some way to transport, via bike(my main worry) the needed stuffs for the sours.

One more quick pisco question: is there another subj made with it that's like, an essential pisco drink? I thought I remember my friend telling me she used to just mix it with like, one thing instead of making a sour..

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Coca-cola is the mixer of choice in Venezuela and Piscola is really fun to say

facile arrow
Mar 27, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

Never even heard of this before, hah!

Thanks for the advice y'all, think I'll just figure out some way to transport, via bike(my main worry) the needed stuffs for the sours.

One more quick pisco question: is there another subj made with it that's like, an essential pisco drink? I thought I remember my friend telling me she used to just mix it with like, one thing instead of making a sour..

Chilcanos are another essential Pisco drink.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

facile arrow posted:

Chilcanos are another essential Pisco drink.

Hot drat now I really want a bottle of pisco.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I have the following :
Bunch of good rhum (regular and spiced. No white rhum yeah though)
Bunch of good gin
Vodka
Bourbon
Maraschino liqueur
Chartreuse
Bailey's
Pommeau
Ricard
Some old Martini brand vermouth
Cheap tequila
Cheap Mezcal
Triple Sec
Angostura
Probably some other random stuff I can't recall but probably aren't really good for cocktail.

I usually make Old Fashioned, Last word's and gin tonic's. I'll make the odd gimlet or whisky sour when I have a bunch of lime and those are probably my favourite since lime is delicious. Otherwise I drink stuff straight.

Any suggestion of a cool cocktail I should try with what I have? I'm lacking ideas and drinking the same stuff all the time is sad

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Get some lemons and make an aviation

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

bunnyofdoom posted:

It's the stupid crème de violette :fist: . I can't seem to find it anywhere + I would be scared to spend on something I'd never use if I didn't like that drink a whole lot.

I should probably try it without the violette though, the ingredients do sound tasty. Looking into it more it seems a lot of people omit the creme de violette anyway, guess I shouldn't have dodge that cocktail because of it. I'll try it tonight or tomorow and report back

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 8, 2016

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Get the creme de violette. It's also delicious in a gin fizz. :yum:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I have a simple stainless steel cocktail shaker I use from time to time, I recently dropped it for the first time ever and the top cap over the strainer is stuck on super tight. Any ideas on how to get the fucker off?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Hair dryer on the cap and not the shoulder it's fitted to. The cap will loosen when it heats up but maybe not enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

bunnyofdoom posted:

That poo poo is delicious. maraschino and gin work better than I would have thought. Put a bit too much lemon in mine though, will need to try again tomorow :science: