Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

demonR6 posted:

So we had our annual white elephant gift exchange at work today and I realized my department is full of raging alcoholics. I think 80% of the gifts were wine or other spirits in many shapes and forms. Try as I might I ended up with a rather large bottle of Jagermeister and an accompanying 50 ml bottle which I found odd, like they want me to keep it at my desk for special occasions like after long meetings and such. I vaguely remember Jager Bombs when I was younger and night clubbing, but not much else. Can anyone steer me in a direction with this bottle of Jagermeister that does not result in my being passed out in the bathroom or in someone's yard? Surely I would hope there is something I can do with it beyond getting rip roaring drunk?

You could just not drink it by the quart I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Klauser posted:

Apparent Sour - 1.5oz Aperol .75oz St. Germain .75oz lime juice shake/coupe/Rosemary sprig garnish

The French Intervention - 2oz tequila .5oz Cynar .5oz elderflower liqueur 2 dashes Angostura bitters Stir/coupe/lemon peel

That's My Word - .75oz each gin, Yellow Chartreuse, elderflower liqueur, Lime juice, grapefruit peel. Shake/coupe/cherry

Ding Ho - 2oz gin .5oz elderflower liqueur .5oz orgeat .5oz lime juice. Shake/old fashioned/cherry garnish.

Sister Mary 1oz blanco tequila 1oz elderflower liqueur .25oz Aperol .75oz grapefruit. Shake/coupe/no garnish.

Don't Mind If I Do - .5oz gin .5oz elderflower liqueur .5oz simple .75oz lime juice 1 dash celery bitters Shake/old fashioned

Olde City Sour - 2oz Applejack 1oz elderflower liqueur .5oz lemon. Shake/coupe/lemon peel.

Vieux Mot - 1.5oz gin .75oz lemon juice .5oz elderflower liqueur .5oz simple syrup. Shake/strain/coupe. No garnish.

Red Rot - 1.5oz gin, .5oz St. Germain, .5oz Cherry Heering, .5oz lemon juice, 2 dashes Peychaud's bitters shake/coupe

Ninth Ward - 1.5oz bourbon, .5oz St Germain, .75oz falernum, .75oz lime juice, 2 dashes Peychaud's bitters shake/coupe

Le Roi Robert - 1oz blended scotch, 1oz St. Germain, 1/2oz sweet vermouth, 2 dashes Angostura bitters, stir/coupe/cherry garnish

Boutonniere 2oz Applejack, 1oz dry vermouth, .5oz St. Germain, dash Peychaud's, dash orange bitters, stir/coupe/orange peel garnish

Dunniette - 1 1/2oz gin, 1/2oz St. Germain, 1/2oz Aperol, 1/2oz lemon juice shake/coupe

Christ I might as well get this tattooed on the back of my hand this is art.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Gearing up for Christmas! (Also an excuse to beef up my bar.)

What I've got:
Gordon's, Sapphire, Absolute, tons of single malt, Pama (pomegranate liqueur), Noilly Prat.

Shopping list:
Rittenhouse 100 Proof, Bitters (Peychauds, Angostura, Gary Regan's Orange), Pusser's, Disaronno, Buffalo Trace, Campari.

What am I desperately missing? Absinthe? Martini Rosso? Keep in mind I'm in the UK, so I can't get everything you guys in the US can. Going shopping here: http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com tomorrow and I'd like to pick everything up in one place.

Cheers!

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Sweet vermouth and orange liqueur stand out right away, cognac too.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

You could definitely use sweet vermouth and Cointreau. Pisco, Cherry Heering and St. Germaine also get a lot of use at my house.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
What do you do with Cherry Heering? I've had a bottle forever and barely touch it.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Sounds good guys. I think I'll pick up Martini Rosso (sweet vermouth), Cointreau, and St. Germain.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I recently made:

1 oz. Heering
1.5 oz. Tuaca
Juice of 1/2 lime
Two dashes Peychaud's

It was pretty great. I also tried it with Cointreau rather than Tuaca, which is also good but a very different cocktail.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Klauser posted:

What do you do with Cherry Heering? I've had a bottle forever and barely touch it.

I bought it so that I could make a Blood and Sand. That drink by itself is worth buying a bottle. I've also found that it's a great thing to add in small quantities to add a fruity complexity that isn't too sweet. Try adding a little bit to a sour and I bet you'll like it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

silvergoose posted:

Seriously love reading your punch posts. You've written a book, right? Published it? Gotten boatloads of cash?

Unfortunately David Wondrich already wrote the book, though I have considered publishing a small pamphlet on How To Host A Punch Party, since it's a logistically complex endeavor.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 17, 2013

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

angor posted:

I think I'll pick up Martini Rosso (sweet vermouth)

If you are getting everything from that same site, I would go with the Punt E Mes instead.

Krahandas
Jun 25, 2012
So, I've lurked my way though the entire thread at this point, and I love it from top to bottom. Lots of fun things to try and make when I get a chance to restock the liquor cabinet with somethings that aren't horridly sweet/terrible, like the overstock of mango-infused rum that we've got.

What I do have a question for, is a gift we got this year, which is a liter of Crown Royal Maple Finished. This stuff is terrible with sweet and sour, lemonade, and is semi-drinkable on the rocks, and I'm lost on what I could pair this to that would make it even halfway palatable. We're thinking maybe some pancakes with alcohol-infused maple syrup but that's still a stretch.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Thanks for all your help!!!

P.s. I threw together a Dark n Stormy with the Pusser's. Holy. poo poo.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

That looks like a recipe for a good time. Try substituting in some St. Germaine for simple syrup and see how you like it. It seems to go really well with bourbon in small amounts and makes everything smell like honeysuckles.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

Klauser posted:

That's My Word - .75oz each gin, Yellow Chartreuse, elderflower liqueur, Lime juice, grapefruit peel. Shake/coupe/cherry

That's a pretty fun play on a last word. I'd like to try lemon juice in that when I get a chance though instead of lime, to really invert the ingredients. And maybe grapefruit bitters instead of the peel. Did you come up with these or did you grab them from somewhere?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What do you guys recommend for rocks / non-melting cold stuff? I just made baby's first gimlet yesterday, in the glass since I haven't bought any sort of mixing supplies. I noticed that it was absolutely amazing when it was fresh-stirred and cold, but I needed to stir it again every couple of minutes to keep it at that perfectly cold temperature. I figured something that didn't melt would be nice to keep in there to keep it cold.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What do you guys recommend for rocks / non-melting cold stuff? I just made baby's first gimlet yesterday, in the glass since I haven't bought any sort of mixing supplies. I noticed that it was absolutely amazing when it was fresh-stirred and cold, but I needed to stir it again every couple of minutes to keep it at that perfectly cold temperature. I figured something that didn't melt would be nice to keep in there to keep it cold.

Just mix in a separate cup. You want to mix with "mixing ice" that will chill and dilute the drink correctly, then pour over fresh "drinking ice" in the glass. You could also try chilling the glass, or using more ice/bigger cubes.

Heck you could go julep style and just mound the glass with crushed ice. Go crazy.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I'm pleaded that I got a 2oz bottle of ango on the plane. Just revealed the magic of champagne cocktails to my family down south. Next year I get the Bittermans traveling pack for my aunt and we get a little cray.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Drink your cocktails faster. Also shake your gimlets and serve them up.

There are also glass sets like these ridiculous things, but I'm just showing them, not suggesting them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Someone figured out a way to charge $30 for a pair of big tumblers. Nice.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Hey Kenning, any punches you would recommend for using Lemonhart rum in?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Kenning posted:

There are also glass sets like these ridiculous things, but I'm just showing them, not suggesting them.

I bought this set of 12, when the price dropped to $35 recently. The set is $60 now, but it will probably go down again.
I don't like them very much.
Partly because you have to carefully figure out the exact amount of ice to actually chill the cocktail and even then it is only the bottom half that gets chilled. It's a pain to do it each time.
The larger reason I don't like them is that they are too small; I think our normal cocktail glasses are 6 ouncers; these say they are but they clearly are not.
They're a nice novelty. I will probably wrap and give away some pairs of them to give away as gifts.

Oh, if someone really had to try them here is the same set. but of just 6 of them for $13 + $5 shipping. I wish I'd done that; I'd buy them again at that price, just because they look cool.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 26, 2012

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Also while those are cute, the tops are particularly prone to breakage, because the top and bottom are being held at different temps. And the bases really scream for shaved ice, how you make that is your beef (blenders have to be crazy high powered to pulverize without excessive melting).

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Duey posted:

Did you come up with these or did you grab them from somewhere?

No, if I post a recipe that's mine I tend to say so. They're just all c/p from my twitter feed. When I make a drink that's new to me, I tweet it. It's mostly an easy way for me to keep track of what I've made, but I have a few followers who enjoy it.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Vegetable Melange posted:

Also while those are cute, the tops are particularly prone to breakage, because the top and bottom are being held at different temps. And the bases really scream for shaved ice, how you make that is your beef (blenders have to be crazy high powered to pulverize without excessive melting).

I have an ice-shaving machine. Somehow, though I've thought of it in passing a couple times, I never filled the base with it. I might trip report Manhattans later.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Kenning posted:

I have no cocktail equipment at all. Normally I would either get a shaker or mixing glass and make it properly, but I forgot that I needed that while at the liquor store, and decided to try it anyway when I realized my mistake.

I guess I can make smaller cocktails, but I also like whiskey/other stuff on the rocks, so I kind of feel like I might as well get some stones as well. Any recommendations for that, or should I go ask in the whiskey thread?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I dunno, I've always felt that whisky stones are super gimmicky and nobody actually uses them. As such, if you want whisky stones just buy whatever and give it a go. They're like $20, and if you don't like them they're pretty easy to re-gift. They don't get your drink very cold though. It's like, they'll take it down a couple degrees, but it won't sustain a cocktail. It's for sipping spirits.

Don't be afraid of dilution. Cocktails are meant to be diluted by the ice.

icehewk posted:

Hey Kenning, any punches you would recommend for using Lemonhart rum in?

The 80 or the 151? Both are excellent, amazing rums, but you'd want to treat them a little differently. If you have both, mixing them in equal parts yields a nice Sykes-proof of 115, which is great for punch. If you just have the 80 you can use it as is. If you just have the 151, I'd recommend blending it with some milder rums (Coruba or one of the Flor de Cana aged rums might be nice, there are others) to get it to a more manageable ABV.

Then it's time for Glasgow Punch

10 oz. rum
4 oz. lemon juice
2 limes
6 oz. unrefined sugar
16 oz. + 6 oz. water
nutmeg

Dissolve the sugar in the 6 oz. of water. Mix rum, lemon juice, and remainder of water (taste it as the water goes in to avoid over-dilution). When the bowl is assembled, squeeze in the limes by hand and dust with nutmeg. Serve cold and smile.

A note on the sugar: for some reason I have always made this with jaggery rather than turbinado, which I use for almost all of my other punches. Jaggery of course must be rendered into a syrup before it can be used. I generally melt the sugar in an equal amount of water, and then use 9 oz. of syrup in place of the sugar+dissolving water. The jaggery needs to be fine-strained to get out the dross. I find that jaggery lends this punch an earthy richness that is very tasty. Of course it means that I can't do an oleo-saccharum, since the jaggery is too soft to muddle the peels into.

I'm sure regular old turbinado/demerara sugar would do fine in this punch, and if you use it I recommend muddling the peels of your lemons in the sugar and letting it sit for an hour or two before dissolving in the water.

A word of caution: for whatever reason, this has always been a very finicky punch for me, in terms of balancing the elements. I'm not sure why this is, except that I usually make it in huge batches, and at that size it's easy to skew the syrup and lemon measurements. I can't tell you how often I've had a bowl that was a bit too light on the lemon, or a bit too heavy on the water, etc. For this reason I'd recommend having extra syrup and lemons on hand, and being cautious in pouring the water. When all the bits come together it's truly delightful, it just needs care.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 26, 2012

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
I personally don't like whiskey stones, I'd go with Tovolo King Cube trays.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
At the end of January, I'm traveling south from Virginia to Myrtle Beach, and plan on stopping in NC where liquor prices are, in my experience, much better, sometimes ridiculously so. I'm making a long shopping list (the only thing I like about Virginia ABC is that their prices are universal and listed online) to snatch up things if I can find them cheaper in NC. I have a few questions about things I've been wanting to try.

What's the difference between Sambuca, ouzo, and absinthe, and what are good brands of each? If I have absinthe, should I bother acquiring herbsaint for Sazeracs?

Brandy. I want to buy some actually good brandy. The only guys I know who drink brandy are hip-hop DJs who drink Remy-Martin/Hennessy along with Four Loko/Corona because a musician told them it was a good idea.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

How nice do you wanna get on the brandy? Any VSOP from a major house will be tasty for mixing. XO+ sipping cognacs are beyond my ken.

If you can get it there, Ridge Absinthe is super super well-regarded. It runs around $80, but is probably totally worth it. I have St. George Absinthe, which is solid at $65, and I've heard good things about La Sorcière, both the Verte and the Bleue.

If I had to choose between absinthe and Herbsaint I'd get absinthe. Some people like Herbsaint for Sazeracs because of the history, but I personally wouldn't go out of my way to acquire Herbsaint until I had a very well-stocked bar.

Ouzo is nice. It's much mellower than absinthe in general, lower-proof and a bit sweeter. I think Sambuca is even sweeter than ouzo, but I've never tried it. I don't know good brands of either, honestly.

Happy Liquorating!

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Kenning posted:

I dunno, I've always felt that whisky stones are super gimmicky and nobody actually uses them. As such, if you want whisky stones just buy whatever and give it a go. They're like $20, and if you don't like them they're pretty easy to re-gift. They don't get your drink very cold though. It's like, they'll take it down a couple degrees, but it won't sustain a cocktail. It's for sipping spirits.

Don't be afraid of dilution. Cocktails are meant to be diluted by the ice.

That is how I feel about rocks drinks.
Trip report: I forgot all about putting shave ice in the cocktail 2-piece glasses; I'm having a Manhattan in my regular old $1 cocktail glasses from the local discount store.

However, I coincidentally received a set of whiskey stones for XXXmas yesterday; I never would have bought them myself for the aforementioned reason, but I have been chilling them anyway, to be polite, and I dropped one in each Manhattan. It seems to be keeping it pretty cold.
I can't think of any compelling reason not to drop a stone into a neat drink.

I believe these are made of soap stone; I'll look in a few minutes or so and edit in the brand. I just fished one out of my drink and it is definitely still very cold after a few minutes, so it seems like a fine addition to a neat drink.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

my only thing with whiskey stones is that chilling your whiskey kills off most of the great things that make it so tasty. if youre drinking cheap whiskey, then sure, chill it down but if you have decent whiskey then instead of chilling it, try a drop or two of water instead.

all those gorgeous aromatics and subtle flavours that make each whiskey unique are actually trapped and waiting to be released. What happens is the alcohol molecules actually cluster around the other impurities that give whiskey its scent and flavour, and trap those flavours inside. By addind a touch of water to your whiskey, what you're doing is scaring those alcohol molecules away, breaking them up, and releasing the flavour molecules, because alcohol is actually hydrophobic.

Be careful though, because if you have a cheap/lovely whiskey, then adding water will release and enhance all the poorer qualities of it as well. So basically, if you have cheap/average whiskey, chill it with the stones. You'll cool it down, which will make it a touch smoother, and you'll avoid diluting it at the same time. But if you have good whiskey, or one that you really like, then add a few drops of water to it to really open it up and enhance those flavours.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Cocktail goons, I've been dabbling with cocktails and have been asked to mix someat an upcoming party. I'm interested in providing a bit of variety without too much of an initial cost and so I want to be able to make maybe 2-4 different types of cocktails without having to buy a lot of bottles. I currently have Gin, Vodka and Blue Curacao and I don't mind buying another 2-3 bottles. What combination of cocktails can I make with these?

Edit: Holy moly this is perfect
VVVVVVV

AgentF fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 29, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hahahah this is the perfect segue for my Building Your Bar post, which I've had kicking around for the better part of a year. Also: there's probably going to be some controversy about my choices, which is great – I've been sitting on this for a little while, so I'd be curious about input.

- - - - - - -

"Help! I want to mix cocktails but I have no equipment and no spirits! Where do I start?"

The way you go about building a cocktail closet of your own depends heavily on your budget. I won't list all the spirits/liqueurs/equipment in the world, since that would just be overwhelming and useless. Instead I'll present 3 example beginning budgets, for $50, $100, and $200. For brand recommendations, see the second post of this thread. Prices are rough and can vary due to taxes etc. I understand California is pretty light on their taxes, so my $50 set might be more like $60-$70 elsewhere in the States, and potentially a good deal more in, say, the UK (sorry guys). Still, this is in the ballpark.

Fifty Dollar Cocktail Bar

Plan A) Gin and Lime

$20 - Some sort of shaker set, either a three-piece all-in-one or a Boston shaker + strainer
$20 - 750 ml bottle London dry gin
$4 - 375 ml bottle dry (i.e. French, i.e. white) vermouth*
$3 - Barspoon
$1 - 1.5 oz. measuring shot glass

Additionally you will need limes, soda water, tonic water, and sugar (or simple syrup). These are inexpensive things you buy when you need, so I didn't include their price.

*Vermouth is wine, and as such doesn't stay good forever, or even for very long. To keep your Martinis and Manhattans tasty, buy the smallest bottles of vermouth you can find and store in the refrigerator.

With this setup you can make Martinis (omitting bitters), Gimlets, Gin and Tonics, Tom Collinses, and Gin Rickeys. With a little cream, egg, and orange flower water you can also make the Ramos Gin Fizz, which is worth it. It is seriously worth it.

Plan B) Bourbon and Bitters

$20 - Shaker set
$20 - 750 ml bottle Kentuckey straight bourbon whiskey
$4 - 375 ml bottle sweet (i.e. Italian, i.e. red) vermouth
$7 - 4 oz. bottle Angostura bitters
$3 - Barspoon
$1 - Measuring shot glass

Additionally, lemons, mint, soda water, sugar (or simple syrup).

Okay, so this ends up being more like a $55 setup. It will get you Old Fashioneds, Whiskey Sours, Manhattans, and Mint Juleps. If you get some cola it'll also get you a Whiskey and Coke.

One Hundred Dollar Cocktail Bar

$20 - Shaker set
$20 - 750 ml bottle gin
$20 - 750 ml bottle bourbon
$15 - 750 ml bottle white rum
$10 - Manual squeeze citrus juicer
$7 - 4 oz. bottle Angostura bitters
$4 - 375 ml bottle dry vermouth
$4 - 375 ml bottle sweet vermouth
$1 - Measuring shot

Additionally, lemons, limes, mint, soda water, tonic water, cola, sugar (or simple syrup).

This will get you every cocktail from $50 plans A and B, in addition to Daiquiris, Mojitos, and Cuba Libres. You can also sub the rum for gin in a couple recipes to make things like a Rum Fizz and whatnot that are pretty approachable.

Two Hundred Dollar Budget

Begin with the $100 budget above. It's difficult at this point to give firm instructions, since we've already covered the most common/popoular spirits and cocktails. I'll give what I would do with a $200, followed by several "modules" you can use for guidance. Mix and match the modules to reach $200.

Kenning's $200 Liquor Cabinet

$100 - All previously mentioned stuff
$5 - Bump up the Angostura to a 10 oz. bottle
$7 - 10 oz. bottle Regan's orange bitters
$20 - 750 ml bottle blended Scotch
$30 - 750 ml bottle Drambuie
$20 - 750 ml bottle applejack
$5 - bottle orgeat syrup
$5 - Ingredients for homemade grenadine
$3 - vented pour spouts

The good thing is, once you have things like Drambuie or orgeat or grenadine or maraschino or Cointreau they typically don't get consumed as quickly as liquor, so you can focus subsequent liquor store visits on acquiring new things. Now! On to the modules.

Scotch Module

$20 - 750 ml bottle Blended Scotch
$30 - 750 ml bottle Drambuie

Combined with $100 budget, will get Rusty Nails, Rob Roys, Bobby Burnses and Scotch and Sodas. Note that at this point there are all sorts of minor variations (like a Scotch Sour) and half-attested cocktails that can be made. I'm just giving a few well-known examples now.

Tequila Module

$20 - 750 ml bottle blanco tequila
$35 - 750 ml bottle Cointreau

With this you'll get the Margarita and the utility of a nice triple sec. I couldn't look up all the triple sec recipes out there and cross reference with previous ingredients, but trust me it's versatile.

Applejack Module

$20 - 750 ml bottle applejack
$5 - ingredients for homemade grenadine
or
$10 - 12 oz. or so bottle high-quality commercial grenadine

With this you'll get the Jack Rose, the Jersey Sour, Jersey Lightning, and plenty others.

Brandy Module

$25-30 - 750 ml bottle Cognac
$30 - 750 ml bottle Cointreau

Sidecars! And nice triple sec of course. Also brandy is pretty versatile.

Rum Module

$20 - 750 ml bottle dark rum
$20 - 750 ml bottle falernum (or ingredients to make your own)
$5 - bottle orgeat syrup

This will get you Dark and Stormys, Mai Tais, Corn and Oils, and a whole bunch of tropical/Tiki drinks.

Liqueur Module

$30 - 750 ml bottle maraschino liqueur
$30 - 750 ml bottle Benedictine
$35 - 750 ml bottle Cointreau
$25 - 750 ml bottle Campari

These are probably the top 4 most versatile liqueurs out there. Cointreau (and orange liqueur in general) is very important in a bar (notably in Margaritas, though certain people here disagree), Campari allows the Negroni and is featured in a number of contemporary cocktails as well, Benedictine covers herb-and-honey liqueurs, and maraschino is just plain awesome (and important). If you decide to go for the liqueur module (and may I offer my congratulations), these will last for a LONG TIME. Liqueurs are a good investment, if you want to keep expanding your cocktail bar.

Once you've built up a cocktail bar based on these basics, the sky's really the limit. There's lots of stuff out there, and a few things I'd recommend that don't fit in the modules:

$6 - 5 oz. bottle Peychaud's bitters. Crucial for Sazeracs
$15-$25 - 750 ml bottle rye whiskey
$60-$75 - 750 ml bottle absinthe (it's an investment, so read reviews first)
$25 - 750 ml Apricot brandy. Rothman and Winter or Marie Brizard are your go-to
$20 - 750 ml bottle coffee liqueur
$30 - 750 ml bottle Gran Marnier
$60 - 750 ml bottle green or yellow Chartreuse. Green is more intense. Chartreuse is loving astounding. I've seen 375 ml bottles of the green; good for a test-run.
$25 - 750 ml bottle sloe gin (look for Plymouth)
$25 - 750 ml bottle creme de cassis

And so on and so on. If you get this far in stocking your liquor cabinet, I assume you know about creme de violette and Fernet Branca and kirsch etc.

- - - - - -

Does that help at all? I'd say buy into the $100 plan, and you'll be super flexible. Or just round out what you need for the 2 $50 plans (you're already partly there, especially if you have mixing equipment) and have a party.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I finally bought some green Chartreuse today and made my first 'Last Word'.

0.75 oz each gin, Luxardo, Green Chartreuse, lime juice. Shake, strain, coupe.

It's such a strange combination of ingredients but they really work well together. It's almost like the Luxardo and Chartreuse cancel each other out while still leaving just a little bit of the maraschino and faint herbal after taste. It's really a complex palette that's hard to describe, but I love it.

I tried it with Hendrick's since I was afraid to throw something with strong juniper into the mix, but I think the next step will be to move to Gordon's and maybe even the Hayman's Old Tom.

Does anyone have any tips as to which gins work well for this drink?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Were it not for my hate boner with Plymouth, I'd suggest that. New west guns go nicely but if they aren't particularly citrus forward, they can get lost in the mix. For the adventurous, rye whiskey or Mezcal is highly indicated. I'm running a Mezcal last word with a 1oz sparkling wine back, to be sipped as a chaser or dropped in as a float per your taste. It's moving pretty well among the cocktail crowd, and the bubbly back wins over the more delicate types. Frosting the glass with liquid nitrogen definitely helps with the "ooh, I want that one" factor.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Sorry, brand suggestions; London dry I'd say Gordon's, Plymouth esque go fords gin, new west I like blue coat or aviation.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Bombay Dry is my workhorse gin, though I also enjoy Boodles quite a lot.

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012

nrr posted:

By addind a touch of water to your whiskey, what you're doing is scaring those alcohol molecules away, breaking them up, and releasing the flavour molecules, because alcohol is actually hydrophobic.

What? Ethyl alcohol isn't hydrophobic. Short-chained alcohols lose their hydrogens easily when in solution with water, hence they're hydrophilic. And now it is clear that I've taken way too much organic chemistry.

So I got some Gosling's rum and made dark and stormies. I now fully appreciate the effects of having the exact right bottle on a cocktail. Lovely caramel notes in that thing. I also got a leftover holiday gift set of cointreau, and everyone in here is right, it is the orange liquer to end all orange liquers.

I also got a bottle of campari and tried to make negronis, but they were too bitter/herbal for my taste. Any other ideas of what to do with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You could try a Jasmine. That's a classic recommendation for easing people into Campari.