Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Mint gets bitter and woody over time and heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Maybe steep the mint leaves in hot water and then make your syrup out of that?

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Canadian Bakin posted:

Does anyone have tips or words of caution to share on the subject of mint infused simple syrup?
Looking to make some mojitos next week and I thought I'd muck around with some simple syrup while I was at it, because there's always mint left.

Strain your poo poo like ten times, or it will turn nasty.

I usually just do a mint infusion in a little bit of vodka (via whipping siphon), then add it to the simple syrup. Cleaner taste, no residue and the vodka works as a preservative in your SS.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 7, 2014

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
I have some friends coming back from a trip to Tanzania and they're getting a local liquor called Konyagi for me. I can't even find a wikipedia article for this, but from googling I see it's some kind of gin with some citrus and some herbal notes? I searched around for cocktail recipes using Konyagi and most of them seem either too basic (add a lime twist and drink) or gross (drink with sprite).

Does anyone have any idea of uses for Konyagi? Is it just rubbish and I shouldn't bother?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Anarkii posted:

I have some friends coming back from a trip to Tanzania and they're getting a local liquor called Konyagi for me. I can't even find a wikipedia article for this, but from googling I see it's some kind of gin with some citrus and some herbal notes? I searched around for cocktail recipes using Konyagi and most of them seem either too basic (add a lime twist and drink) or gross (drink with sprite).

Does anyone have any idea of uses for Konyagi? Is it just rubbish and I shouldn't bother?

Ask them if they can find a bottle of Waragi instead because Konyagi pales in comparison :colbert:

In all seriousness, Konyagi + ginger ale (or ginger beer) + lime = Delicious (and lots of very faded, very twisted memories :D)

EDIT: If you can find bitter lemon, use that. Konyagi/Waragi and bitter lemon is about as 'classic' as a cocktail you can make with these liquors.

angor fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 9, 2014

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Hail cocktail thread. Is there anything combining campari and pastis?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Dash some absinthe on a jungle bird, what up. Quarter ounce of Pernod in a Sazerac? Live dangerously.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Check out the quill, it is essentially a negroni with a decent measure of absinthe. It wasn't quite up my alley but it might fill your needs.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Sounds great, thanks!

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

You could try a variation on an 'After Coffee' by replacing the Fernet with Absinthe. If you don't have Smith and Cross you could try substituting another funky Jamaican rum, but it won't be the same.

1.5 Campari
1 Dry Vermouth
0.5 Smith and Cross
0.25 Fernet Branca
stir/strain/garnish with mint sprig (important)

Whakcre
Oct 25, 2005

Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.

Hollis Brown posted:

I'll throw out the old fashioned :can:

I think everyone has a different way of making it, it could be interesting to discuss this drink in more detail. But a lot of people are also bored with it so :shrug:

I'll throw out mine:

Sugar cube, 3 dashes of angostura, and a tiny (tiny) splash of soda water. Muddle until dissolved, add some ice cubes and then 2-3oz rye to taste, then stir stir stir. Lemon peel twist and enjoy. Nowadays I tend to enjoy mine on the rocks, though back when it was babby's first cocktail I drank them up, and that was good too.

You can get more particular about certain details, but considering the bars I'm used to I'm impressed as long as there isn't a bowl of fruitloops in the bottom (I'd never order an old fashioned where I live)

To me an old fashioned is a drink that can tolerate a lot of variation and still be quite good. However the drink has been corrupted like few others, and I find you have to ask a question or two before ordering one in an unfamiliar place.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Hollis Brown posted:

I'll throw out the old fashioned :can:

I think everyone has a different way of making it, it could be interesting to discuss this drink in more detail. But a lot of people are also bored with it so :shrug:

I had a Kraken old fashioned a little while ago, after chatting with the bartender about how much I enjoyed said rum. Bitters, sugar, ice, Kraken, stirred with a vanilla pod and a cinnamon stick. It was made under the premise that I'd never order one if the bar was full, due to it's prep time.

It was delicious for a post-dinner drink on a winter's evening. The vanilla really makes the already ice-cream-like rum sweet and delicious, and the cinnamon and bitters add extra wintery spice that's missing slightly from the rum on it's own. Probably even better with a spicier spirit. Maybe not a must-try, but if you have the ingredients, it's worth a go.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

This thread exists (thanks nrr), hello new home :swoon:

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
So now that the weather is a lot warmer, can anyone recommend some simple cocktails involving wine? I don't have a full home bar, so if it only involves a simple trip to the grocery store (+wine, I guess), that'd be great.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
It's hard to go wrong with sangria in the summer. Chop up fruit, add to wine, optionally add some hard liquor, let infuse overnight, done.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Archer2338 posted:

So now that the weather is a lot warmer, can anyone recommend some simple cocktails involving wine? I don't have a full home bar, so if it only involves a simple trip to the grocery store (+wine, I guess), that'd be great.

Find a bottle of Creme de Cassis (blackcurrant liqueur) and make a Kir (1 part Creme de Cassis in the bottom of a wine glass, then 9 parts white wine). Mix up the lieueur and wine variants to make a variety of Kir-alikes.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Can anyone recommend a good bar in the Miami / south florida area that makes good classic "real" old school cocktails? Not the typical fruity, panty dissolver stuff you get at your typical "bar" where you've got some college kid pretending to be a bartender.

lilspooky fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 15, 2014

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Broken Shaker.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Archer2338 posted:

French 75's are a perfect summer drink and are easy to make.

1 oz gin (or Cognac)
0.75 oz 1:1 simple syrup
0.5 oz lemon juice
shake/strain over ice into a tall glass and top off with ~3 oz champagne or sparkling wine

You can also add a little bit of a good liqueur if you want to play with different flavors. I like to add St. Germaine and a dash of peach bitters.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Archer2338 posted:

Some great suggestions already. I just wanted to add a Champagne Cocktail

1 Angostura bitters soaked sugar cube
.25oz cognac

Drop sugar cube in flute, add cognac, top w/bubbly.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Thanks for all the suggestions! For the recipes involving champagne - it's okay to substitute with sparkling wine from other regions, right? Should I be looking for any particular sweetness level (not sure if the non-French ones have that labeled, actually) as well?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Yeah, you can switch for crement or pro secco or Sekt, as long as it's dry enough.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have made many a French 75 from cheap gin and sparkling wine from Trader Joe's. Likewise the Kir Royal.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Archer2338 posted:

Elderflower Spritz is where it's at. So drat good.

Quarter fill a goblet with ice cubes, line the outside with thinthinthin lemon halfwheels, then 4:2:2 champagne : St Germain : soda

Or for something a touch stronger, an Old Cuban.

1.5:1:0.75 dark rum:simple syrup:lime, shake with a bigass pinch of mint leaves (~5-6) and 2 dashes of Angustora. Strain into champagne glass, top with a dry champagne to taste (~2oz).

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Guys. Guys. I have come to a revelation. I actually don't mind Campari now.

I had a bottle of it sitting on my shelf after the last fiasco where I was decidedly against it. But I had a tiny bit of Beefeater left and figured, "What the hell, I'll give it another shot."

So I looked up some recipes for Campari and saw the obviously titled Gin and Campari. Although it calls for equal parts Gin and Campari I decided I'm too much of a pansy to drink that. But I do love me some Gin. So I made a tiny taste test cocktail.

10mL Campari
30mL Gin
40mL Ice water
Shake with ice, strain into cocktail glass.

I need the water because I am a sissy who prefers slightly less boozey tasting cocktails. My test resulted in a veritably "okay" cocktail. I'm no fan of lots of Campari (People drink it straight? The hell?) but that little bit of earthy bitters taste is nice. My only wish is if I had tonic water to swap for the water. I think that'd be a winning drink to me.

Anyone else have suggestions? I'm slowly opening up to Campari in a drink. Did I butcher a classic? Let me know!

Abyssal Lurker
Jul 14, 2007

:jeb:THRILLMASTER:jeb:
A drink with campari plus wuss? I heartily recommend the "Rome with a view":

1 oz campari
1 oz dry vermouth
1 oz lime
.75 oz simple syrup

Shake with ice, strain into highball glass with ice, top with soda water.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

BrosephofArimathea posted:

Or for something a touch stronger, an Old Cuban.

1.5:1:0.75 dark rum:simple syrup:lime, shake with a bigass pinch of mint leaves (~5-6) and 2 dashes of Angustora. Strain into champagne glass, top with a dry champagne to taste (~2oz).

Holy gently caress. I have all the ingredients for this at home right now and I am going to make the poo poo out of it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

syntaxfunction posted:

Guys. Guys. I have come to a revelation. I actually don't mind Campari now.

I had a bottle of it sitting on my shelf after the last fiasco where I was decidedly against it. But I had a tiny bit of Beefeater left and figured, "What the hell, I'll give it another shot."

So I looked up some recipes for Campari and saw the obviously titled Gin and Campari. Although it calls for equal parts Gin and Campari I decided I'm too much of a pansy to drink that. But I do love me some Gin. So I made a tiny taste test cocktail.

10mL Campari
30mL Gin
40mL Ice water
Shake with ice, strain into cocktail glass.

I need the water because I am a sissy who prefers slightly less boozey tasting cocktails. My test resulted in a veritably "okay" cocktail. I'm no fan of lots of Campari (People drink it straight? The hell?) but that little bit of earthy bitters taste is nice. My only wish is if I had tonic water to swap for the water. I think that'd be a winning drink to me.

Anyone else have suggestions? I'm slowly opening up to Campari in a drink. Did I butcher a classic? Let me know!

If you're already drinking gin and Campari, why not add sweet vermouth and make it a Negroni?

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Campari can be a bit much for me as well but I was surprised to find that a campari and tonic water goes down delightfully easy.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
My favourite Campari cocktail , aside from the Negroni, is the Bicyclette, apparently so named because it was drunk by elderly Italian men who would then wobble home on their bicycles. It's dead simple too.

2 Parts Campari
1 1/2 Parts chilled White Wine (I like dry)
Twist of lemon.

Drink, go for a ride and drink some more.

My wife is currently having to undergo a sea-change from a glorious lush to an expectant mother, and so whilst I'm drinking for two she's seeking something that has bite without alcohol. Any recommendations? She likes Dirty Martini's, Manhattans and Rye Whiskey based drinks. Is there anything virginal that compares?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Abyssal Lurker posted:

A drink with campari plus wuss? I heartily recommend the "Rome with a view":

1 oz campari
1 oz dry vermouth
1 oz lime
.75 oz simple syrup

Shake with ice, strain into highball glass with ice, top with soda water.

Cavenagh posted:

My favourite Campari cocktail , aside from the Negroni, is the Bicyclette, apparently so named because it was drunk by elderly Italian men who would then wobble home on their bicycles. It's dead simple too.

2 Parts Campari
1 1/2 Parts chilled White Wine (I like dry)
Twist of lemon.

Drink, go for a ride and drink some more.

I will have to try these two plus another attempt at a Negroni. Gotta find something to use this bottle with!

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
It's almost Negroni Season.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

It's always negroni season. :colbert:

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Vegetable Melange posted:

It's always negroni season. :colbert:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Last night I tried the Quill that someone mentioned upthread and it seemed like the absinthe blunted the bitterness of the Campari a little bit, so that might be a way to ease into Negroni season.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Alright goons, after reading this whole thread I went on a spree yesterday. Here's what I bought:
St Germaine
Rittenhouse Rye 100
Laird's Applejack (the plain one, VA...)
Barbancourt 5yr rum
Famous Grouse blended scotch

And here's what I have already:
Bombay Sapphire
La Cana Grande white rum (highly recommend if you want a very boring, plain rum. Like rum vodka)
Calvados VSOP
Sailor Jerry's!
Triple Sec

Can I make anything fun with this stuff?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Twice recently I've gone to open old bottles of Cognac at a guest's house where I was staying and the cork broke. Sucks.

tynam
May 14, 2007

NomNomNom posted:

Can I make anything fun with this stuff?

You're going to have to be a bit more specific, such as the tools you have, the mixers/garnishes you have and the flavor profiles you're looking for.

I've never really got a chance to play with St Germaine, although after checking out this site, I'm seriously tempted to pick up a bottle and give it a shot.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Comb Your Beard posted:

Twice recently I've gone to open old bottles of Cognac at a guest's house where I was staying and the cork broke. Sucks.

Sounds like someone needs a set of port tongs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ubeLgY4vWA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

A lot of my favorite cocktails depends on fresh lemon or lime juice. I don't have a lot of time in the evenings to make drinks at home either. If I get a hand juicer or something like that, what's the usual shelf life / how long can I keep the juice around in the fridge? A few days?