Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Kenning posted:

Yesss improved Old Fashioneds are the straight bomb. Marmot are you still in the Bay? I still think we should drink together. I'll let you know the next punch I'm making.

Yes! I'm down. Still here in Berkeley, dangerously close to the new Cask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Van Dis posted:

What's everyone serving at their parties tomorrow? Our menu includes pitchers of margaritas, apple-pear vodka cider, gibsons, rum & cokes, and 7&7s, plus stuff made to order if people want something else. Homemade pickled onions and a little lemon bitters really make those gibsons, let me tell you. Tasty.

We closed down the restaurant and threw a party with live music, costume contest, all the good stuff. We had a rum cider punch, our usual sangria, and pumpkin pie shots with pumpkin puree, cider spiced simple, cream, vodka, and Graham cracker rims, as well as a French 75 with grenadine (called it the Guillotine), corpse revivers #2, and blood orange old fashioneds. But everybody wanted Mules and Jack and cokes anyways. We killed it, had a blast, and I'm exhausted.

I'm still deciding if I'm going to this year's Jameson Bartender's Ball, its coming up quick.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

The Hebug posted:

So I generally don't cross-promote the "Not Cocktail of the Week" stuff I write for the /r/cocktails subreddit, but I recently launched a preorder campaign for a book with the help of redditmade. My usual entries focus on the history, recipes, and my taste notes for each cocktail, which will all be updated for the book. Additionally, in the vein of a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book, I'm adding what I think is a unique feature where I suggest drinks to try next based on similarity and minimizing the number of new ingredients needed. It's also going to have a foreword by Jeffrey Morgenthaler, which I think is pretty cool. Anyways, whether you happen to follow my work on reddit or not, please take a look and perhaps lend me your support. I'm also happy to answer any questions as best I can here.

redditmade campaign: https://redditmade.com/campaign/not-cocktail-of-the-week-book
More detail in my reddit post here: http://www.reddit.com/r/cocktails/comments/2kp92f/the_not_cocktail_of_the_week_book_is_coming/

Thanks, hebug, I just ordered one. I suspect you won't drum up a lot of enthusiasm here due to reddit antipathy, but if you guys haven't looked at hebug's NCOTW posts you should really check them out. Fantastic in-depth writeups, evaluation of different recipes with notes on which is "optimal" (America's Test Kitchen style) with great photography, all of a carefully curated list of drinks, which is pretty much exactly what I want in a book. Good luck with producing it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I got last-minute invited to a Halloween party by a coworker of mine. He had already bought 2 handles of Bulleit bourbon for punch. We ended up collaborating, and making up a punch using the bourbon, some Imperial Pumpkin Ale by Uinta, lemons, sugar, Trader Joe's pumpkin butter (like, pumpkin puree with sugar and spices), and some Angostura and Fee Bros Old Fashioned aromatic bitters. We chucked dry ice into the bowl and made it spooky. It was dope as hell, though not quite as good as my Lost Souls Punch. I don't really care for bourbon in punch as a rule.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

NIGARS posted:

Thanks, hebug, I just ordered one. I suspect you won't drum up a lot of enthusiasm here due to reddit antipathy, but if you guys haven't looked at hebug's NCOTW posts you should really check them out. Fantastic in-depth writeups, evaluation of different recipes with notes on which is "optimal" (America's Test Kitchen style) with great photography, all of a carefully curated list of drinks, which is pretty much exactly what I want in a book. Good luck with producing it.

Thanks. I was a goon way before I even learned of reddit, but their cocktails subreddit is much more active than this thread. :(

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
We are moving. I have been put on a bottle buying freeze for a while now, so my ingredient list is dwindling. I've been making lots of drinks on the fly with no recipe. My ingredient choices are mainly influenced by what bottles I need to kill, with what will taste perfect together a distant second. It's been fun, and a couple came out pretty great.

1oz Applejack
1oz gin
.5oz elderflower liqueur
.5oz simple syrup
.75oz lime juice
ds Ango

This is all over the place but just works for some reason, I think the ango ties it all up in a nice package.

1oz Applejack (I have too much Applejack obv)
1oz cognac
.5oz orange liqueur
.5oz simple
.75oz lemon juice
shake with cinnamon stick

This is like a fall flavor sidecar. I really liked this one too.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So I have debating making my own grenadine for cocktails. Maybe to make a ward 8?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's very easy and absolutely worth it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah seriously the flavor of homemade grenadine is truly wonderful.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

What I read was basically make it like simple syrup but replace water with pomegranate juice. Anyone got a better idea?

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2009/how-to-make-your-own-grenadine/

This stuff was mad delicious even when I cheated and made it with POM.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I like to mix equal parts hot process and cold process grenadine per Paul Clarke. I like a mixture better than either one or the other. I just use POM. Also I don't gently caress with flower waters because I like to have discretion over that when I'm mixing.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Have to have Thanksgiving early this year.

Thanksgiving pre-made cocktails/punch...
Go!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm going to be making Lost Souls Punch several more times this holiday season and I recommend it highly.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

I just made a batch of Philadelphia Fish House Punch since I've always wanted to and the flavors are nice and autumnal. There's a ton of variance in the recipes though so that's a little annoying.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

What did you do for the peach brandy?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Kenning posted:

What did you do for the peach brandy?

3 parts Laird's BIB, 1 part Rothman & Winter Apricot.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just make Paul Clarke's cold process grenadine and I'm extremely happy with it. Occasionally I mess around by adding a spoonful of some kind of rich jam, like elderberry.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

The Hebug posted:

I just made a batch of Philadelphia Fish House Punch since I've always wanted to and the flavors are nice and autumnal. There's a ton of variance in the recipes though so that's a little annoying.

Which one did you use?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

DontAskKant posted:

Which one did you use?

I ended up using something closest to Jeffrey Morgenthaler's found here: http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2012/vacuum-seal-oleo-saccharum/

Differences:
Scaled it down to yield 2L
Didn't vacuum pack for oleo saccharum, but let it go for 4+ hours

Substitutions:
Coruba instead of Appleton V/X
Paul Masson VSOP instead of Hennessey VS
Rothman & Winter Apricot instead of Briotette creme de peche
Laird's BIB instead of Laird's applejack

It was delicious, of course. One day I'll get a proper punch bowl for parties.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Paul Masson is so good for how cheap it is.

Made a Vieux Carre last night with calvados instead of cognac. Not too drastic of a change but it was delicious and a little more autumn flavored

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Man, i have tons of liquor but none work for these punches. Korean prices are like 5-7x US prices. Used to be more.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

What liquor do you have? I bet I have a punch just for you.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Kenning posted:

What liquor do you have? I bet I have a punch just for you.

Ricard
Pastis
Brugal white run
Rhum chauvet (darkish rum)
Bokbunja
Maesilju
Fernet Branca
Gallo Sweet Vermouth
Peychaud's bitters
Korean brandy
Wild Turkey 101
Cambodian whiskey
Various Japanese shochus
Korean soju
Japanese whiskey
Various scotches
Cheongju
Seagrams gin
Kirkland vodka
Ukrainian vodka
Pine mushroom Korean booze
Homemade limoncello and grapefruit...cello
Dandelion Korean booze
Baiju
Pere Kermann's Absinthe
Shaoxing wine

I also have access to Tesco wine and some homebrew as well as basics at a Costco.

I also have hops and toasted American oak chips.

DontAskKant fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 11, 2014

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
So clementines are being sold at my local grocery store again, thinking of experimenting. Gin + clementine + Angostura bitters? I feel like botanically stuff would work well.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That Martinique Rhum can absolutely be used for any of the rum punches I've posted. It might be too expensive though, I know Martiniques get pricey in the States.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Kenning posted:

That Martinique Rhum can absolutely be used for any of the rum punches I've posted. It might be too expensive though, I know Martiniques get pricey in the States.

I got a liter for $12 in Vietnam. :cheeky:

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
Does anyone have recipes they would recommend which use beer?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Rum in particular seems to vary wildly in price based on where you are. That reminds me to check if the local ABC has any more Coruba.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Devoz posted:

Does anyone have recipes they would recommend which use beer?

I've tried and failed multiple times to make a cocktail with beer that I actually like.

What I've learned so far is a nice syrupy sweet barleywine is a good swap for a sweet sherry or port, and egg white and stout go well together.

I'm much more interested in just using hops as an ingredient.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

The only beer cocktail I drink regularly is 1 oz Campari topped with 12 oz of IPA, on ice, twist of lemon. Hope you like Campari though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The best I've done with beer is the Potrero. Mixing with beer is definitely fiddly though.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Micheladas are cocktails, kind of. And shandies, I suppose.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hoperol flip is pretty good.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Try making a Hooker.It has a lot of stuff in it, including beer.
http://www.smallscreennetwork.com/video/847/raising-the-bar-hooker-cocktail/

giacomo
Mar 11, 2008

pgroce posted:

Pity this is too long for a thread title.

Old Fashion: add club soda and shake.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Chuck Biscuits posted:

Try making a Hooker.It has a lot of stuff in it, including beer.
http://www.smallscreennetwork.com/video/847/raising-the-bar-hooker-cocktail/

Made one last night. What a cool drink. Only had angostura and fee's Aztec chocolate and didn't have a malty Belgian, so I used Telegraph's California ale. It was still great. I liked it better before I added the beer, but I'm not a big fan of Belgians and I can definitely see a maltier one improving the cocktail.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Something about the combination of the Averna and a malty beer reminds me of a chocolate milk shake. I think that it's best as an after dinner drink just because it's so heavy and rich.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Kenning posted:

I'm going to be making Lost Souls Punch several more times this holiday season and I recommend it highly.

I love your punches. You single-handedly got me into making punches and it's great not slaving over cocktails all night at my own party.

We do a Thanksgiving dinner for friends every year and while we do all the traditional sides, we make Crab Legs and Ham instead of Turkey. I'd love to have an awesome fall punch for this event. I'm thinking about doing Lost Souls but was wondering if you had any other punch recommendations. We are going to start the dinner with light snacks and this punch, do wine and beer for dinner and then finish with a mulled cider beverage of some sort. Any suggestions for the starter punch or a good warm cider ending recipe would be much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Punchmaking is one of the lost gentlemanly arts. I'm doing my part to revive it, and it's always great to hear that other people are also sharing the good news.

Lost Souls Punch would definitely be appropriate as an aperitif. However, if you'd like some other options (as well as a hot post-meal suggestion) I can do no better than to point you towards this post of mine. Good luck!