Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Froyo Martinis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Anyone got experience with the shelf-life of coffee infused liquor? I adapted a cold brew recipe and infused some cognac and I really liked it, but it was a really small batch and I finished it in a few days. I want to make more for work but before I do a big batch I want to make sure it'll keep like liquor and last forever and not keep like cold brew and taste like poo poo in a week

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Had an amazing cocktail last night when I was out and about pub hopping with a goon, ended up in a cocktail bar.

Was Somerset Cider Brandy, Crème de banane, Ramazzotti and a dash of Angostura Bitters. But for the life of me I can't remember the ratios :negative:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Tea Bone posted:

Any recommendations for recipes to ease me into Campari?

I bought a bottle of it, it has an amazing herby taste to begin with but then tastes like bile when it hits the back of my throat. I thought it might be better once I used it in a cocktail but it's still too bitter for my liking.

I've read a few people who have started off hating it then something clicks and they love it. I'd like to get to that point.

Try adding a bit of Campari to a gin and tonic. Changes up the usual G&T dimensions without taking everything over. Some people also like an ounce of Campari in a beer - that didn't click as hard for me but might be worth trying. Both of these are super easy options that aren't as aggressively herbal as the negroni.

Personally I got into Campari through Americanos - equal parts Campari and sweet vermouth, some orange bitters if you have them, soda water and plenty of ice. That's a great summer drink to sip on. At some point you'll want more kick so pour in a shot of gin and you're 90% of the way to a negroni.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

goferchan posted:

Anyone got experience with the shelf-life of coffee infused liquor? I adapted a cold brew recipe and infused some cognac and I really liked it, but it was a really small batch and I finished it in a few days. I want to make more for work but before I do a big batch I want to make sure it'll keep like liquor and last forever and not keep like cold brew and taste like poo poo in a week

I make coffee bourbon all the time and it's potency lasts at least a few months

Failed Nihilist
Apr 10, 2015
Just got some more vodka, Stolichnaya this time. Really just because I wanted the bottle.

Anyway, is it some horrible castration-worthy treason to use Blenheim's Ginger Ale instead of ginger beer in a Moscow Mule?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It's so hard for me to guide people into liking Campari slowly because I loved the stuff the first time I had any. If you don't want your cocktails to taste like furniture polish I don't know what to tell you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Failed Nihilist posted:

Just got some more vodka, Stolichnaya this time. Really just because I wanted the bottle.

Anyway, is it some horrible castration-worthy treason to use Blenheim's Ginger Ale instead of ginger beer in a Moscow Mule?
I try to go with the brand that has the most gingery spice in it, and sometimes that brand says "ginger ale" instead of "ginger beer" on the label.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
there's something in campari that just overloads my bitter tastebuds for some reason. negronis taste like ear wax to me.

which is sad because i really really want to like it :(

Kenning posted:

It's so hard for me to guide people into liking Campari slowly because I loved the stuff the first time I had any. If you don't want your cocktails to taste like furniture polish I don't know what to tell you.

i feel this way about peaty scotch. once i tasted laphroaig i knew i had found my desert island liquor.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I posted ages ago about hating Campari, too. I found that the best way to ease myself in was to really offset the bitterness with not sweetness, but sour. So lots of fresh citrus, basically. The recipe I drank for a while was a shot of Campari, half a fresh squeezed lime, half a squeezed orange and top with a bit of soda water. Maybe that's blasphemy but that's how I started to enjoy it because the bitterness of Campari and the sour juice balanced nicely. I used less and less soda water over time and then eventually used less juice until now when I happily drink Campari on ice.

The other thing that helped was that Campari is definitely a sipper. Now, you might be thinking "Of course it is, who wouldn't just sip it?!" but after getting used to drinks like a Caiparinha or Black Russian or whatever, that you can drink immensely quickly, it was a definite difference. Everyone I've introduced Camapri to made the same mistake. I made Negronis and everyone took giant mouthfuls. These are people that err on the side of "super sweet" (Toblerone cocktails, cream based drinks, etc) or "still sweet" (Rum and shitloads of Coke, a bit of Vodka and loads of lemonade, etc). You might be more used to Sidecars or what have you but I'd still class them as more quaffable than a Negroni or other heavy-on-the-bitters drink.

So yeah, make sure you're sipping, and try to add some sour. That's what worked for me. Which reminds me that I need a new bottle of it.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Recently I've been grabbing a can of soda water out of the fridge, taking a couple swigs from it, and topping it up with Campari. It's lovely.

Going to try it with a lager this weekend. Camparty!

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

that's a good start, but have you tried taking a bottle of Campari out of the fridge, taking a couple of swigs out of it, and then topping it up with soda water?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
This changes EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Have you tried substitution like substituting the campari with bourbon and the soda water with nothing? My favourite tipple

Failed Nihilist
Apr 10, 2015
I will never be in a more perfect time and place to share this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Failed Nihilist posted:

Oh man when was this

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

that's loving art

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Failed Nihilist posted:

:worshipfap:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If I can ever get an original copy of that issue, I'll razor that page out and frame it on the wall next to my liquor cabinet.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

angor posted:

Recently I've been grabbing a can of soda water out of the fridge, taking a couple swigs from it, and topping it up with Campari. It's lovely.

Going to try it with a lager this weekend. Camparty!

Along those lines, if you want an easy Campari, just make an Aperol Spritz but with Campari instead: Campari, soda water, prosecco. Great hot-weather drink.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
How is Aperol anyway? I went to a party the other day and I felt like having a little sipping drink rather than A DRINK as is normally wont, I found myself in front of the aperitif section mainly because of the recent discussion. I ended up grabbing a fresh bottle of Campari but the other contender was Aperol or Dubonnet. Dubonnet is more wine-y right? And Aperol is just a fruitier, less bitter Campari? That's what I've gathered from reading stuff online. I want to pick up some Aperol for mixing at some stage but as I ration my alcohol purchases for the most part I can't really justify a bottle of something that is basically Campari, but less, when I already have Campari.

Another question I have is that now I'm rebuilding my bar I'm looking to grab the essential spirits along with good liqueurs. First on my list are Gin and Cointreau. But the liquor store (Dan Murphy's for Australians) is doing this thing where you can get harder to find stuff delivered for free. Given I'm already used to paying AU$50 for a bottle of whatever, and the prices for these are the same, I'm looking at spreading out and getting some weirder stuff. Specifically from Vedrenne. They do things like Kiwi liqueur and, most importantly, rose liqueur. I love rose. It smells awesome and tastes awesome in pretty much every application I've had it in. But I can't find any recipes for rose liqueurs or rose anything in general. Maybe a few with rose water drops but nothing rose centered. So good idea to grab a bottle I can't taste but love the (potential) flavour of?

While I'm at it, I might as well ask you guys to make sure I'm heading in the right direction with my bar. Essentially I'm starting from scratch again. I have no spirits and way too many liqueurs. I have:
- Crème de Menthe
- Crème de Banane
- Crème de Caçao (Both white and brown!)
- Parfait Amour
- Pama (Pomegranate liqueur)
- Frangelico
- Campari

You can kinda guess what the themes were. "Oh, I've never had a Grasshopper and the crèmes are cheap", "What about banana and chocolate?", and so on, combined with not actually wanting to get even tipsy due to sporadic work schedules and the like. My goals for the next few buys are (In no specific order):
- Gin (Either Beefeater or Sapphire)
- Vodka (Skyy probably)
- Cointreau
- Rum (Probably white to start, most like Mount Gay Silver)

Am I heading in the right direction? I'm aiming to hit a lot of flavours this time. I have an idea for a Gin, Pama, Parfait Amour and Cointreau cocktail that's been burning in my mind, plus I love Gin and drink it on the rocks. Vodka, yeah. Just something to add to a Grasshopper or Chocolate Banana thingy or whatever to add volume/alcohol. Cointreau, 'cause it's a classic and tastes great with nearly everything. Rum, because rum. Any others I should re-prioritize for?

Thanks thread.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

A couple years back I made a few posts about growing your liquor cabinet. The first one was a bunch of brand recommendations and the second was a guide for what spirits/liqueurs to buy together in order to maximize your mixing potential. The prices and some of the brands are a bit out of date (and the prices totally don't apply for Australia) but the general principles are still solid.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Kenning posted:

A couple years back I made a few posts about growing your liquor cabinet. The first one was a bunch of brand recommendations and the second was a guide for what spirits/liqueurs to buy together in order to maximize your mixing potential. The prices and some of the brands are a bit out of date (and the prices totally don't apply for Australia) but the general principles are still solid.

Those are great posts and were helpful for me a while back. I still don't have any rum in the home bar, have your thoughts changed at all with respect to brands since you made the original post?

I'm also wondering why orgeat syrup to get because after trying a Trinidad sour i just want to make those for the rest of my life.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
The liquor buying guide post is particularly useful to refer to in a store. I have it saved as a text file on Dropbox.

Kenning, have you ever though about starting a cocktail blog/Tumblr/whatever just so you can mirror all your punch recipes and other stuff from these threads in a way that's easy to search for later?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Oh gosh, I feel a little silly about some of my recommendations in that post, although of course I'm flattered, first and foremost. I've had the opportunity to try some more gins, tequilas, and rums since then. I still stand by Luksusowa over any other vodka.

I mean, I still like Gosling, but Coruba is just great for mixing. It's my go-to for a Planter's Punch or Painkiller.

Creme Yvette is nice, but now that I know a place where I can get Rothman & Baird creme de violette, I would never ever choose Creme Yvette over that. The problem with CY is that it's very syrupy-sweet, but the violet/vanilla flavour is pretty mild. So it's pretty much just for mixing; if you sip it your experience will be dominated by tasting sugar water.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Booyah- posted:

Those are great posts and were helpful for me a while back. I still don't have any rum in the home bar, have your thoughts changed at all with respect to brands since you made the original post?

I'm also wondering why orgeat syrup to get because after trying a Trinidad sour i just want to make those for the rest of my life.

Reposting that, I wanted to make some updates. Here they are:

Kenning's guide to cocktail liquors

Mixing spirits will cost somewhere between $15 – $30 USD. Fancy spirits should be used for sometimes cocktails – birthdays and anniversaries and whatever. It's not too expensive to make good drinks.

Gin

Gin is the most versatile mixing spirit. With a bit of sugar and citrus, you can make almost anything.

Cheap: Gordons, Seagram's. If you want to mix with tonic water this is your jam. The inexpensive gins tend to be big on juniper and that's what they've got. Good for G&Ts and Gimlets, wouldn't recommend for a a Martini
Solid: Bombay Dry, Beefeater, Tanqueray, Broker's, Boodles, Citadelle, 209. For something hilariously floral, consider Nolets. The gin scene is crazy right now.
Splendid: St. George Terroir is the best gin on the market right now imo, no joke. Their Botanivore is super light and botanical, their Dry Rye is funky if you lijke it. I love St. George. Other than that, Anchor Junipero is classic-tasting and great, Plymouth is forever, Old Raj is high proof and Tanq 10 and Beefeater 24 are nice and friendly for people who don't usually like gin. If you can find it Tanqueray Malacca is amazing, but I don't think it's in production anymore. Hendrick's is cucumber and rose for people who like old-school botanical-style gins. Only use it in Martinis and cocktails that feature cucumber.

Rye

Rye is the original American spirit. Almost anything that is made with bourbon can be made with rye to greater effect. Rye is my favorite American spirit.

Cheap: Old Overholt. This is the budget rye. It's spicy, but that's it. I still drink it whenever it's around.
Solid: Rittenhouse Bonded, Bulleit, WT 101, Sazerac 6 year. Sazerac is easily the best in this tier if you can find it. Plush and spicy. Rittenhouse is phenomenal, and their production/distribution is finally starting to catch up with demand. Wild Turkey Rye is better than Bulleit Rye, but those are your good bet for the generally available set.
Splendid: Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye is the best I've ever had. Michter's is also excellent. There are lots of small-batch ryes in this categories that are only for mixing on special occasions. $30+ dollars.

Bourbon

Bourbon is the best spirit for trying out new bitters (in an Old Fashioned). It's the go-to-spirit for American-style cocktails. Don't skip out on it.

Cheap: Evan Willams should be your go-to, but an Old Crow Old Fashioned was actually my first proper cocktail, so I've got a soft spot for it (it's not bad, especially for Sours). There are lots of good mid-level bourbons though.
Solid: Wild Turkey 101 is the best bang for the buck, easily. Some people like Buffalo Trace, but it's too sweet for me. Bulleit bourbon is everywhere right now, and there's no reason to turn it down. For an overproof offering Old Grandad 114 is unreal. Strongly recommended. Eagle Rare is like drinking caramel, but it may be at this tier and maybe at the next.
Splendid: George T. Stagg is a famous and amazing cask-strength. Booker's is also great. Smooth Ambler Old Scout is like berries and cream. Elmer T. Lee is like crème brûlée. Van Winkle stuff is amazing, if you can find it. Bulleit 10 year is so fruity it's a treat. There are so many bourbons at this tier I can't even recommend them all.

Scotch

Not as versatile, but Scotch should be explored for its sipping value. There are a couple good moves for mixing though.

Cheap: Famous Grouse is a great choice at this tier. Get a jug. (I still believe this).
Solid: Chivas Regal 12 if you want more of a Speyside character, Johnny Walker Black for more Islay peatiness. For a punch, look for Finlaggan single malt.
Splendid: Don't get fancy blended Scotch, just get interesting single malts. Laphroig 10, Laphroig Quarter Cask for peaty, Auchentoshan for sweet grain, Macallan 12 is overpriced, but really very good. If you want more fancy recommendations, check out the Whisk(e)y Thread (Glenmorangie Nectar D'or for dessert. Seriously).

Irish

The most up-and-coming spirit (at least in the Bay Area). Has a nice sweet grainyness that makes for a lovely sipping spirit.

Cheap: I don't know if there is good stuff at this tier. I think not.
Solid: Jameson and Bushmills are your go. The former is a bit spicier, Bushmills is sweeter. There are lots at this price point that I haven't tried yet though.
Splendid: Redbreast is amazing. People say the 12 year is the best value, and the 15 year is overrated. I disagree. The 15 year is a truly lovely sipper. The 12 year cask strength is amazing. Jameson 1738 is great, as is the Black Barrel. I hear Black Bush is great, but I've never hosed with it.

Brandy

If you want grape spirits you want Cognac (unless you want pisco [I like Portón]). Don't skimp on brandy.

Cheap: Use stuff that is French, but not Cognac, like Raynal or St. Remy. Don't go for E&J or Christian Brothers.
Solid: Any real Cognac VS or VSOP is great at this tier. They will mix like crazy. If you can swing it, Pierre Ferrand 1840 is unreal. It's fruity and nutty like Armagnac.
Splendid: When it's at this price, you shouldn't mix unless you're ballin'. Good luck!

Tequila

Honestly, it's not hard to drink good tequila. You just need to pay a little bit more.

Cheap: You will regret this (this is still true).
Solid: There are a lot of tequilas at this price! El Jimador, Peligroso, etc. If it's under $30 and says "100% de agave" it's a good move. Just make sure it's 100% de agave.
Splendid: De Leon. Check it out (the reposado is especially good). Siete Leguas is also good. Don't gently caress with Don Julio or Patrόn, they are overpriced for the quality.
Oaxacan Mezcal: There's so much weird poo poo in Oaxacan Mezcal. Del Maguey Vida is probably the good mixer, but Mezcal Vago is another. The single-village mezcals are for a crazy sipping adventure.

Rum

Rum is so complicated. These recommendations are easy, but rum goes so much deeper.

Rum is crazy. Check this post if you really want to learn rum.

Light: Flor de Caña Extra Seco is the good move. I don't know of any better "white" rum for mixing purposes. Look for Denizen or Banks Five Island (both 3rd party blends), or Havana Club (once the embargo isn't an issue) for variety, but the mixing tier of white rum is inexpensive. J. Wray and Nephews is a good overproof. Buttery and cake-y, it makes a great falernum.
Gold: Flor de Caña 4 Year is spicy, Plantation Barbados Grande Reserve or Mt. Gay Eclipse are richer and fruitier. Pusser's (if you can find it) has some of that nice pot-still funk to it.
Dark: Coruba. Honestly, this is the best black Jamaican rum. Meyers is fine if that's all you have, but Coruba is so good and so cheap. Some people like Appleton Estate, but it's more expensive and I feel like it doesn't capture the Jamaican flavor. If you want to get real funky and taste my favorite spirit, try Smith and Cross. I think Smitty is the most wonderful spirit going. Hamilton 151 is an astonishing overproof rum if you want to gently caress with it – tastes like brown sugar and gunpowder.

Vodka

Don't worry too much about vodka.

The thing that makes vokda nicer is how many times it's distilled and how good the water is that cuts it. Go for the "S" vodkas: Sobieski, Skyy, Svedka, Smirnoff, Stolichnaya. The more expensive ones (like Belvedere and Goose) are just distilled a couple more times. Mix with whatever (I don't take vodka too seriously).

Vermouth

The proper vermouth can make or break your Martini or Manhattan (or Bronx or Police Gazette). Make sure you store it in the fridge and buy small bottles. Don't let it go sour!

Vermouth is either dry/French/white, or sweet/Italian/red. There are basically 2 price points. Also: buy the smallest bottle you can find and keep it in the fridge.

Everyday French: Noilly-Prat. It's the best at its tier, by far.
Special French: Vya Extra Dry, Dolin Blanc, in that order.

Everyday Italian: Martini and Rossi is fine, Cinzano Rosso is better.
Special Italian: Dolin Rouge, Vya Sweet, in that order.

Of special note are Carpano Antica Formula and Carpano Bianco. Can be used in place of Italian and French vermouth respectively, they're both very rich and lovely. I almost consider using Carpano in cocktails to be Easy Mode – it just makes everything delicious.

Absinthe

Absinthe is all legal, but it's really high proof. Use discretion.

Go look at the Wormwood Society for guidance, since this is a big purchase. I'm quite happy with my bottle of St. George. Apparently Ridge is very good, as is La Sorcière. Absinthe is legal! Don't feel compelled to get Pernod or whatever.

Notable Liqueurs

These are roughly in order of their importance in the bar.

Cointreau for neutral spirit triple sec
Luxardo maraschino
Gran Marnier for brandy-based triple sec (though I hear Gran Gala is pretty decent)
Benedictine
Campari
St. Germaine for trendy contemporary stuff
Green and Yellow Chartreuse – so expensive, so worth it
Rothman and Winter's are a safe bet for anything (look for apricot brandy and creme de violette)
Marie Brizard is another favored brand, particularly their apricot brandy
Cherry Heering
Drambuie
Disaronno for amaretto
Kahlua or Tia Maria for coffee liqueuers
Creme de cassis (get whatever, should be around $20)
Senior Curaçao of Curaçao curaçao (not convinced anyone actually needs a curaçao)
Hiram Walker or DeKuyper white creme de menthe/cacao (alas, nothing better available for the most part, unless you can find Marie Brizard or Get).
Creme Yvette is recommended by Tanith. It's a violet and berry liqueur recently revived after a long extinction. It's on the expensive side, but apparently is quite nice.

Bitters

These are also listed in recommended order of acquisition.

Angostura. The granddaddy of them all. Get the biggest bottle you can find. Ango makes everything better.
Regan's #6 orange bitters. Angostura Orange is also apparently pretty good (after some experience: get it, it's really richly orange and bitter).
Peychaud's Bitters. Crucial in a Sazerac, it's the good move if you're mixing with brandy or rich rum.
Fee's Peach bitters. The most widely-available peach bitters. Pretty peachy. The best Fee's bitters.
Abbot's Bitters – this is a new, and essential, bitters from Tempus Fugit. It makes an unreal Manhattan. Woody and spicy.

Beyond those five are a whole range of boutique bitters which can be nice to have, but which cannot in good conscience be called "important." Some of the more commonly-used of these contemporary bitters include the following:

Fee's Old Fashioned Aromatic bitters (heavy cinnamon)
Fee's Whiskey Barrel Aged bitters (more classic)
Fee's Lemon Bitters
Fee Brother's Aztec Chocolate Bitters
Bittercube Jamaican #1 Bitters (ginger, clove, and black peppers). These are great for anything tropical.

The list goes on from there.

Obviously this isn't the be-all and end-all of your cocktail closet, but it should give you a solid place to start from.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 30, 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

That's an incredibly good post, thank you. Although personally Inwould but Lazzaroni amaretto over Disaronno -- where I live, it's even slightly cheaper

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I would add New Amsterdam to the cheap gin list. I prefer it to Gordon's and it's about the same price.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
New Amsterdam is also my go-to cheapo gin.

goferchan posted:

Lazzaroni amaretto over Disaronno --
I've heard good things about this; planning to pick some up on vacation.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Kenning posted:

Brandy

If you want grape spirits you want Cognac (unless you want pisco [I like Portón]). Don't skimp on brandy.

Cheap: Use stuff that is French, but not Cognac, like Raynal or St. Remy. Don't go for E&J or Christian Brothers.
Solid: Any real Cognac VS or VSOP is great at this tier. They will mix like crazy. If you can swing it, Pierre Ferrand 1840 is unreal. It's fruity and nutty like Armagnac.
Splendid: When it's at this price, you shouldn't mix unless you're ballin'. Good luck!

have you had Marie Duffau Armagnac? we can get it in PA state stores for like 30 bux. seems to hit that price/taste sweet spot that is really hard to find with actual Cognac, where you'll be paying closer to $50-60 for similar quality (imo).

I'm not a brandy expert, though, so i'd love to hear other people's opinions.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Pigsnose may be one of the smoothest blended scotches for mixing as well and in mid tier gin I would recommend bluecoat.

How things have changed for bourbons. I remember three years ago it was easy to get Lee and Weller.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I had an awesome cocktail with my girlfriend last night in Vegas. Muddled cucumber, Hendrick's gin, lemon juice, egg white, and a rim of some sort of pulverized pepper. They called it tahini? But I'm pretty sure that's not what it's called and I was just mishearing. Anyway, it was fantastic.

That liquor recommendation list is great. I agree with the poster who said Luksusowa vodka is good. Because it is good.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

cbirdsong posted:

I would add New Amsterdam to the cheap gin list. I prefer it to Gordon's and it's about the same price.

New Amsterdam smells like lemon furniture polish.

edit: Carpano Antica seems like a notable omission. Also why Fee's Aztec Chocolate over Bittermen's Xocolatl Mole?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

The Hebug posted:

New Amsterdam smells like lemon furniture polish.

edit: Carpano Antica seems like a notable omission. Also why Fee's Aztec Chocolate over Bittermen's Xocolatl Mole?

There are a lot of omissions, and I'll agree with you that not including the Antica Forumla is rather silly. I'd rather buy different bourbons and ryes than nearly everything on the list, but that doesn't really mean one is right or wrong; a lot of it comes down to personal taste or better/worse selection in your area. It's still an okay post for folks who doesn't really know anything and are looking for some worthwhile examples.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Haha haha. I'm hosting a bourbon and scotch tasting next week. The two bourbons I got were bulleit 10 and bookers. Glad you agree on em

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Kenning posted:

Gin

Gin is the most versatile mixing spirit. With a bit of sugar and citrus, you can make almost anything.

Cheap: Gordons, Seagram's. If you want to mix with tonic water this is your jam. The inexpensive gins tend to be big on juniper and that's what they've got. Good for G&Ts and Gimlets, wouldn't recommend for a a Martini
Solid: Bombay Dry, Beefeater, Tanqueray, Broker's, Boodles, Citadelle, 209. For something hilariously floral, consider Nolets. The gin scene is crazy right now.
Splendid: St. George Terroir is the best gin on the market right now imo, no joke. Their Botanivore is super light and botanical, their Dry Rye is funky if you lijke it. I love St. George. Other than that, Anchor Junipero is classic-tasting and great, Plymouth is forever, Old Raj is high proof and Tanq 10 and Beefeater 24 are nice and friendly for people who don't usually like gin. If you can find it Tanqueray Malacca is amazing, but I don't think it's in production anymore. Hendrick's is cucumber and rose for people who like old-school botanical-style gins. Only use it in Martinis and cocktails that feature cucumber.

I'd throw Sipsmiths under Splendid too

tynam
May 14, 2007

Kenning posted:

Vodka

Don't worry too much about vodka.

The thing that makes vokda nicer is how many times it's distilled and how good the water is that cuts it. Go for the "S" vodkas: Sobieski, Skyy, Svedka, Smirnoff, Stolichnaya. The more expensive ones (like Belvedere and Goose) are just distilled a couple more times. Mix with whatever (I don't take vodka too seriously).

I'll expand on vodka. It actually does matter quite a bit between using a high quality and low quality vodka, especially for very simple vodka drinks. In my opinion, most of the time you use vodka in cocktails you use it because you don't want it to really add anything substantial to the drink beyond an alcoholic bite. Cheaper vodkas that aren't distilled enough have a distinct enough taste that ruins some drinks, whereas quality vodkas like Goose is almost tasteless. (I've heard you can go as far as to home-filter really cheap vodkas to make them more palatable. Never tried it myself.)

When making a vodka martini, the difference between a potato base and grain based vodka makes a huge difference as well - such as a Chopin vodka vs a Goose vodka. The potato adds a good deal of distinct flavor and mouthfeel, while the grain keeps it very clean and simple. When making something like a fuzzy navel though, the drinker probably isn't a huge fan of the alcoholic bite and just wants something sweet that will give them a buzz - so you want to mute out the vodka as much as possible with a quality grain vodka.

So in general for mixing, you want to stick with decent quality grain vodkas. If drinking neat or nearly completely neat (martini), experimenting with potato or other types of vodka will yield unique results.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

bunnyofdoom posted:

Haha haha. I'm hosting a bourbon and scotch tasting next week. The two bourbons I got were bulleit 10 and bookers. Glad you agree on em

What scotch did you get?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

tynam posted:

I'll expand on vodka. It actually does matter quite a bit between using a high quality and low quality vodka, especially for very simple vodka drinks. In my opinion, most of the time you use vodka in cocktails you use it because you don't want it to really add anything substantial to the drink beyond an alcoholic bite. Cheaper vodkas that aren't distilled enough have a distinct enough taste that ruins some drinks, whereas quality vodkas like Goose is almost tasteless. (I've heard you can go as far as to home-filter really cheap vodkas to make them more palatable. Never tried it myself.)

When making a vodka martini, the difference between a potato base and grain based vodka makes a huge difference as well - such as a Chopin vodka vs a Goose vodka. The potato adds a good deal of distinct flavor and mouthfeel, while the grain keeps it very clean and simple. When making something like a fuzzy navel though, the drinker probably isn't a huge fan of the alcoholic bite and just wants something sweet that will give them a buzz - so you want to mute out the vodka as much as possible with a quality grain vodka.

So in general for mixing, you want to stick with decent quality grain vodkas. If drinking neat or nearly completely neat (martini), experimenting with potato or other types of vodka will yield unique results.
Lot of words to say drink gin martinis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tynam
May 14, 2007

Mr. Wookums posted:

Lot of words to say drink gin martinis.

Pretty much. Although the occasional vodka Gibson really scratches an elusive itch.