Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Pollyanna posted:

I have about 1/5 of a bottle of vodka left over (what's a fifth by the way? not 1/5 the other thing). What should I mix it with? Where do I get glasses and shot glasses and stuff? I tried the liquor store but they don't have glasses and poo poo. Also, what else can I make with something besides vodka? How does rum, jaegermeister, etc. work?

A fifth is slang for a bottle containing a fifth of a gallon, or roughly 750mL.

Because it's basically flavorless, vodka can pretty much go with anything. Juice, pop, spaghetti sauce, adding kick to wine & beer... Literally any type of soda will work, for example. Vodka & orange soda on the rocks is especially nice.

You can get glasses at a wal-mart equivalent, or really nice ones at a home/kitchen boutique store. Kitchen supply shops are an especially good, if bland source for glasses. Cheap and practical is the name of the game there.

As for the last question, I'm not sure if I'm parsing it right, but https://www.cocktaildb.com is an excellent reference for mixed drink knowledge. You can find recipes by either the name of a cocktail, or by typing in the ingredients you want to use. And of course, trial and error will give you experience.

For example, I used a shot of pepper infused vodka to three parts Canada Dry, and it tasted almost like ginger beer. I'm gonna use a stronger ginger ale next time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Those look pretty neat, but I feel they made a mistake with the "Bourgeoisie", specifically, the use of Goldschlager in an opaque drink.

That's just stupid. It defeats the purpose of the gold foil, which is to be seen.
And Rarity would never commit a fashion faux pas like that. :colbert:
Other than that, the taste combination itself sounds pretty decent.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 6, 2011

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I made a hilarious tasting cocktail spritzer, by screwing around with some leftover fortified wine and soda.
I give you:

Worcestershire soda

In a double rocks glass full of ice, add:

~ 2 Oz. Stone's Original Ginger Wine (13.5% ABV)
~ 2 Oz. Brio (Toronto-based Chinotto soda)
Stir lightly.

It tastes almost exactly like Lee & Perrins. :haw: :hurr:
Not salty enough though. Maybe rimmed on a glass...

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 9, 2011

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Anyone have any good cocktail recipes for tequila besides the big three? (Margarita, sunrise, la paloma)

I live near a small central American retailer who carries the jarritos soda brand. Any of those any good with tequila?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Sugar: when refined, it is a fine, white, crystalline powder addictive to millions. :ironicat:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Van Dis posted:

Mind if I ask where you got the citrus squeezer? The kitchen supply shops in my area don't carry that type (lever-based).

And tequila is awesome, but I find I like the blanco more than reposado.
I don't know why, but reposado tequila gives me a bad headache every time, and it's even 100% de Agave, and everything.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 28, 2011

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Van Dis posted:

I bought it for like $4 at Safeway. :xd: I've heard people say that about tequila, that it's the one alcohol guaranteed to give them a headache or hangover.

It's funny, because the Blanco doesn't do it at all.
Maybe it's the wood it's aged in... does it add tannins, or something?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I bought my first bottle of Hendrick's Gin a few days ago, and was planning on trying a few mixed drinks, in addition to trying it neat, and on the rocks.

Out of :downs: curiousity, does it matter what kind of cucumber I garnish/muddle with?
Would a garden cucumber be better than an english cuke? (The two that I have easy access to)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Since our state-run liquor stores don't stock Rumplemintz, what other creme de menthes/peppermint schnapps would you guys recommend?

Also, please recommend a light rum that isn't Flor de Cana. We don't have that either. :downs:
We do have Cuban rum (Havana Club), if that's any good.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 7, 2012

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Kenning posted:

Whoa how do you have Havana Club? Are you not in America? I was under the impression that poo poo was firmly embargo'd.

Go for the Havana Club. In terms of creme de menthe, Marie Brizard or Get. Those are drat hard to find though, and if you can't get them you might as well just get DeKuyper or comparable. Dunno anything about peppermint stuff.

Yeah, I'm in Ontario, Canada.
I just say "state-run" instead of "province run" because it's quicker, and amerigoons understand immediately.

And the LCBO carries Marie Brizard too, except it's sold out at my local store. :/

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 8, 2012

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

We can't get maraschino, though. :(

I want to try an Aviation...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Had some Cuba Libres with Havana Club Anejo Blanco, and watched Archer for the first time. :cheers:

I think I prefer Sailor Jerry ones more, but the cuban stuff was very smooth.
Apparently, it's aged rum, that's been charcoal filtered to remove the colour and lighten the flavour.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

cyberpunksurvivor posted:

I need help with a name for a cocktail I just had today. It was Bailey's, Kahlua, and Jameson. I called it a "White Irish" since it had the first two ingredients of a Russian, save for the whiskey. Anybody know the proper name?

And the bartender added a bit of milk to make it stretch. Went down like chocolate milk :D

Irish Carbomb variant, of some sort.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 20, 2012

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You don't get hangovers if you know where to draw the line. :smugbert:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Touché.

I'll let my friends be the "writers".
After all, someone needs to remember the poo poo, when the party's over.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You would probably be better off brewing it first, either normal strength, or very concentrated, and then diluting it with your spirit of choice, mixers, simple syrup, etc.

I'm pretty sure even powdered matcha needs hot water, to really get the best out of it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

On that note, what's the goon opinion of El Jimador? (blanco specifically, reposado optionally)
It's literally on the bottom shelf, and our province-run liquor stores price it ~$3 lower than the Cuervo/Sauza/Olmeca mixto poo poo.
In fact, I believe it's the lowest price tequila in Ontario. 100% agave, or otherwise.

Alton Brown had a bottle of Jimador in his Raising the Bar II episode, but I'd like the (anecdotal) opinions of other drinkers.
I'm still in the "clear spirits" (gin, tequila, and infused vodkas) phase of my drinking education, and have only recently started moving into rums.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Choom Gangster posted:

It's very good. Here's a drink to try with it:

Sonoran Old Fashioned

1.5 Jimador Repo or Anejo
.5 Cielo Rojo Bacanora Blanco
.5 Agave Nectar
1 Dash Angostura
1 Dash Regan's Orange
Grapefruit twist

If you can't get the Bacanora, and you probably can not, just use all Jimador.

We can't even get El Jimador Anejo, only Blanco and Reposado. :downs:
The cheapest Anejo was Cazadores, at $46.

I really have to wonder, how the LCBO decides what it should stock sometimes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Well, if AB is anything to go by, do what he does for homemade ice cream, and use liquid that's been refrigerating for at least a few hours.

The colder the water is, the less time it'll take to freeze- smaller, more dense crystals, and all that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

For anyone in Ontario wanting advice on a top-notch silver tequila for their (price controlled) buck, I'm gonna recommend Jose Cuervo Tradicional Silver.
It's 100% agave, and literally, no joke- it's as smooth as water. And it's price: $36.60 for a fifth, makes it one of the cheapest too.
Only other 100% agave silvers under $40 are El Jimador and 1800. Neither of which hold a candle to this stuff.

Good for margaritas, palomas, lime & cokes, sunrises, teqtonics, chilled - you name it. Just don't confuse it with Especial; their mixto offering.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 10, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

For anyone looking for a babby's first spiced rum, may I suggest Lamb's Black Sheep :canada:?
Very smooth, with a similar taste to The Captain, but 86 proof instead of 70. And in Ontario, a couple bucks cheaper too.

A good second choice for when I don't feel like Sailor Jerry.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Follow up on the bronx. BSE makes it delicious.

Mad Cow Disease? :downsrim:

Speaking of gin, Beefeater makes a superior Caesar than mere vodka. The juniper gives a nice contrast to the other flavours.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Azul Margarita. From Agave Azul, the latin name for the plant.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I know he's talking about the Curacao. The Curacao is blue; the agave tequila comes from is blue. So a margarita name using both should incorporate elements which they share.

And you need to relax. People have different tastes.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 21, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Our province-run liquor store had Sierra Milenario Extra Anejo for $22 off this week (normal price: $77.75), where sale prices the discounts are typically less than five dollars.
I just finished reading Boozehound, and I'm looking to expand my horizons through tequila and maybe rum. It's the most expensive liquor I've ever purchased, even at the sale price.
It smells great. :3:

Any good cocktails for aged tequila/spirits? I'm not much for sipping liquor straight or on the rocks, so I'd like a backup or two.
The only thing I plan on trying for sure is a Paloma; my go-to cocktail for silver tequila.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 22, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Actually Dillon's small batch distillers. As to where I live, I'm in Ottawa, so straddling Ontario and Quebec

Out of curiosity, what's buying booze that close to the border like?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Hendricks (Citadelle works too), a couple drops of Angostura, and Tonic make a nice, winter G&T.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

People in Ontario outside Toronto might want to check their local LCBOs, I just found maraschino in mind for the first time ever. :woop:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

On my Kindle, I've got this one:

"The Bartender's Bible: 1,001 Mixed Drinks and Everything You Need to Know to Set Up Your Bar"

252 - Caipirinha

2.5 oz. Cachaca
2 tsp. sugar
1 lime cut into eighths

Muddle sugar and lime in an Old Fashioned glass. Add ice. Add Cachaca. Stir well.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 22, 2014

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Besides vodka (which I don't have), do any drinks use the black currant concentrate Ribena?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Just wondering if anyone has tried Patron's orange liqueur.

Made a nice tequila drink with El Jimador Silver, half a lime and Senoral's Sangria soda.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 7, 2014

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Is there a name for a Moscow Mule made with gin?
Because they're really good.
I'm using Key limes too, but to be honest, I can't tell the difference from regular ones.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

$6571 dollars a bottle for Lucid here. :shepicide:

bunnyofdoom posted:

Haha still a loving dollar per lime up here in Canada.

Five for a buck at my local asian mart, five for two bucks at the NoFrills stores, and three for $1.89 at Metro; King of Ontario price gougers.

Only the asian mart has adjusted their prices (downward) in the last month.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 7, 2014

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

cbirdsong posted:

Is canned pineapple juice really as lovely as that post implies, when compared to fresh? Juicing a pineapple seems like such a pain.

The canning process basically cooks the juice. This changes the flavour completely (for the worse).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Just like to give my opinion that Ungava gin should not be used in a Gin & Tonic.
The flavour is just too subtle, and gets blown away.
The overall taste is alright; you're just not going to get anything unique from the gin to come through.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Hebug posted:

Here's a short blurb I wrote on the basics of sherry for a wildly unpopular write-up on the Sherry Cobbler.

Sherry is made with Palomino grapes, with a couple exceptions, and hails from Andalucia, the southern region of Spain, with its chalky soil and close exposure to the Atlantic Ocean. This terroir makes sherry a unique wine with bright fruit notes and a focused acidity, though these characteristics can vary widely within the family of sherry wines. Sherry is generally classified into two types, fino (dry) and oloroso (sweet).
The finos are lean with nutty and mineral notes and also include the manzanillas and amontillados. After fermentation, fino sherry is fortified with unaged grape brandy to ~15% alcohol. Part of what makes finos unique are that unlike most wine, they are aged open to air and are protected from oxidation by “flor”, a layer of indigenous yeasts that form on top of the wine which contribute to its unique nutty character.
Oloroso sherry is much richer and is fortified up to 18% alcohol, which prevents the growth of “flor”. These are much darker in color and also include Pedro Ximenez and Moscatel sherry, which are sweet dessert wines made from special varietals of grape that are dried to concentrate their sugars before fermentation.
Sherries are fermented in the solera tradition, in which the new sherry is mixed with older sherries and regularly continues to combine with older sherries as it is allowed to age to what is stated on the bottle. The commonly seen cream sherry that is probably the reason people don’t enjoy sherry are sweetened varieties of the lower quality fino (pale cream sherry) or oloroso (cream sherry) sherry, so don’t get or use those.

Where does "almond sherry" fit in? I kinda like it, as I find Disaronno to be too strong to drink straight.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Hebug posted:

Never use Rose's lime juice.

Also, Rose's Grenadine isn't even made from pomegranate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Is there a name for a Moscow Mule that uses tequila instead?

Because if not, may I submit to ya'll the name 'Politburro'? :haw: