Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

DasNeonLicht posted:

Try adding a dash or two to the Bee's Knees:

2.0 oz. gin
0.75 oz honey syrup (mix equal parts hot water and honey, let cool)
0.5 oz lemon juice

Shake, strain, serve up.

I read a few recipes for this cocktail that called for obscure floral ingredients, so your lavender bitters may achieve a similar effect, as well as rounding out what a cocktail that is on the sweet side.

That sounds awesome, and I'm trying it, but here's a caveat:
I bet the success of this cocktail, especially with lavender, depends on which gin you make it with. Gins have very different flavors, based on things like what botanicals are used in them and the amount and strength of juniper flavor; the garnishes things that complement them best vary wildly. I've had gins that were awesome with cucumber, but weren't done any favors at all by olives.

I guess I'm just saying if you tried this and it was terrible, you might try it again with a different gin. I bet a neutral, mellow gin like the low-shelf Gordon's or Gilbey's would work fine.

Choom Gangster posted:

As for the second part of your post, keep in mind the spice and drier nature of rye. I prefer Italian sweet vermouth for a Manhattan. Carpano Antica is my go to, but Punt E Mes will do just fine as well.

My recipe is 2oz spirit, 3/4 vermouth, 2 dash Ango, thick orange zest.

I enjoy ango as much as the next, but 6-8 dashes in a Manhattan goes from enthusiastic to overboard.

I can't wait to try one of these old school Manhattans; we always have used cherry.

I made my first successful Mint Julep recently. I'd short-cutted the first time and muddled mint in the shaker, added crushed ice, too much powdered sugar, a splash of water and bourbon. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't good.
This time I actually cooked up a 1/2 cup of simple syrup with about 50 coarsely chopped mint leaves and let it sit in the fridge for over an hour before straining it onto 2 glasses full of crushed ice, then added 4 oz. bourbon to each (I used Evan Williams because I was afraid of loving up 8 oz. of Makers Mark) and a couple more leaves of mint.
I also actually followed a recipe's instruction to serve it wit a straw that's been trimmed to just over the glass rim.
It was wonderful; little details can really make a huge difference in a cocktail.

What do the pros do for a Julep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Drink a Pimm's Cup instead.

Isn't that some kind of Gin Sling? Those are for kids and the British.

edit: I just looked it up. Gin and lemon soda? 25% alcohol? You loving troll.
(I've never seen one with mint, so I had no idea why you would have even compared them; apparently it's common at cricket matches or other sorts of picnics.)

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 27, 2011

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Well gosh, look at how wrong I must be.
It still sounds like a drink for teenage girls, but I'll try anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_R6YpLpV90

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 27, 2011

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'd have a Sazerac with that - I think it would complement perfectly. Of course it's rye based and powerful, but it sounds so good together. Actually I think I might do that this weekend.

Which makes this a great opportunity to post this excellent video from Chris McMillian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfhaxHYb46E

Jibo posted:

Lynchburg Lemonade
Oh, OK, I stand corrected. That's the teenage girlest drink.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Devoz posted:

Can anyone recommend some drinks that would go well with Thanksgiving dinner?

Eggnog with a shitload of bourbon is a Thanksgiving tradition for me.

This is similar to ours:
http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink11957.html

quote:

1 liter Maker's Mark® bourbon whiskey
1 quart milk
1 quart heavy cream
24 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
nutmeg

Separate eggs and beat yolks until creamy. Whip sugar into yolks. Beat whites until they stand in peaks, adding 1/2 cup additional sugar, if desired. Beat yolks and Maker's Mark together, add whites. Beat cream. Add cream and milk to mixture. Add nutmeg to taste and garnish each cup with nutmeg. Makes 2 1/2 gallons.

edit: That's really more for after dinner though. It's an awful lot of milk, too.
Something fruity and low in alcohol like a Sangria might be the way to go if you don't want to just serve wine.
A really nice draft cider would be great.

brand new edit!:
This post, and the olde-tymey Manhattan recipe from earlier in the thread have inspired me to try Manhattans, garnished with cranberry (probably dried) instead of cherry or orange. I'll test drive a Cranhattan(?) later this week,

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 3, 2011

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

bunnielab posted:

...working again, but in the mean time my eye has been wandering. I am looking for a recommendation for both a good "standard" shaker and a Boston shaker. Bonus points if the Boston can mate with normal pint glasses.

Here is the shaker we've used for the last 6 months or so. When I got it it was only $13; it is $20 now but eligible for one of those 4-for-3 promotions Amazon does. It feels great, and has 26 oz. capacity.

It's probably not professional level, but you might like it for 20 bucks.

Oggi Marilyn Tall and Slim Cocktail Shaker

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Doh004 posted:

Made my first Old Fashioned tonight and it's quite delicious and ended up buying a handle of Makers. Lots of Makers :yum:

The Triumphant posted:

That's literally the experience that made me into a religious bourbon drinker. Hangin with my roommate who'd been watching a lot of Mad Men adn he asked if I knew how to make an Old Fashioned. I said I'd do my best and six months later we've got five empty Maker's bottles around the apartment.

We make Manhattans at home a lot and my girlfriend always used Makers. Thanks to one of these whisky threads of the past we tried the often overlooked bottom-shelf Bourbon Evan Williams. Our first take was that it was almost as good, and, since then, I sometimes think I actually prefer it.
It's literally half the price of Makers $20 for a half-gallon, compared to $23 for a fifth of Makers. Grab a fifth for $12 some time and try it in your Olde-Fashiouneds; if you don't like it I'm sure you can ditch it at a party or use it when girls want "Jack + Coke".

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Vegetable Melange posted:

Evan Williams is Kentucky sour mash, like jack daniels, not bourbon. That said, it is also delicious. For your old fashioneds and Manhattans, try going old school and use a rye whiskey.

I am pretty sure that any American sour mash whiskey that's made mostly from corn and aged in new barrels is bourbon. Also, it says bourbon right on the bottle.
I bought a bottle of their single barrel bourbon, that costs as much as Makers and I didn't like it as much in a cocktail. It tasted a lot like Jameson's actually, and I enjoyed it with a couple ice cubes.

I really want to try rye, but the only rye I've found locally is Jim Beam rye and I assume it sucks.

vvvvvvvvvvvv

DasNeonLicht posted:

You shouldn't judge something without trying it. Jim Beam is a big operation, but it has a reputation for quality. It may not be artisan rye whiskey, but it meets the requirements for "straight rye," so I think you should give it a shot (heh) to give yourself a baseline against which to measure other rye whiskeys.

Well, I just found out that Booker's and Knob Creek were Jim Beam products, so I can see your point.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 2, 2011

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Kenning posted:

First of all, the glass is probably too big. It shouldn't be any more than 4.5 ounces (as I mentioned earlier in this thread). Secondly, it shouldn't be made with vodka. Third, the vermouth should be fresh. Fourth, it should actually be stirred with ice, rather than just lazily sloshed in the mixing glass. Fifth, there is such a thing as too dry – if your gin : vermouth ratio is exceeding 6 : 1 you should just call a spade a spade and say you're drinking gin up. Finally, a couple dashes of orange bitters and a lemon twist makes it all sing.

The reason that no one actually likes Martinis is that few places actually serve martinis. They serve vaguely cool gin/vodka faintly tainted with sour vermouth. And that's terrible.

All this, but I'd also add that:
a. chill the glass thoroughly by filling it with ice for a while before the Maritinis is poured into it
b.I had a great martini once that was served in basically a bowl full of ice that the stemless cocktail cone sat in and that was awesome
b. failing b.,you kind of need to be a drinker to down a martini before it gets warm. I enjoy my Martinis the most in the evening, outside, in the late fall or early Spring in New England when I go outside for a smoke and look at the stars. Everything stays nicely chilled.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I just got into making twists but I don't have a zester so I've just been using a paring knife.
I have a coupon to get a microplaner for $6 at a local store.
Will that work OK for twists?
(I will probably get it, regardless, and I will also very likely get a zester at some point, I'd just rather not get one right now if the planer will work.)

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Corvettefisher posted:

Thanks, I was wondering about any cocktails as well.

I bought him a bottle of greygoose and orange juice/lemonade

should be fine for him
You can turn that screwdriver into a really nice cocktail, that's also fun to say, called a Harvey Wallbanger just by adding a splash of Galliano.

In the future, don't bother blowing $25 on a bottle of Vodka for someone that doesn't appreciate booze. The difference in flavor is extremely subtle, and mostly in the mind of the taster, when it comes to vodka. Good Vodka is supposed to taste like *nothing, and Schmirrnoff achieves that goal for :10bux: less.

*I happen to like Stolichnya though, as an exception. It has a buttery flavor I like in a Vodka Gibson. There are other expensive Vodkas that are supposed to have delicate botanical flavors, and are distilled differently, but I'm pretty sure Grey Goose is just an overpriced neutral Vodka.

HOWEVER. You should save the Grey goose bottle when it's empty so you can refill it with cheaper Vodka and look like a big shot.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 16, 2011

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

cyberpunksurvivor posted:

Yeah, that's why I said I had to drink water afterwards. It's really not my kinda thing after all. I like cocktails that are sweet but not too sweet like White Russians and Hulks. Any suggestions?
I was going to try to get people to post their shittiest guilty pleasure lowbrow cocktail anyway.

I don't like them but you might like something like a Miami Vice -I saw a lot of people ordering them the last time I vacationed. It appears to be a Pina Colada mixed with a Strawberry Daquari.

Serious answer:
Rumplemintz and Hot Cocoa. Just make some hot chocolate and add the Rumplemintz to taste -I'm guessing 4:1 chocolate:schnapps would be a place to start. Top with whipped cream.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Some friends and I are doing the Ibsen play Hedda Gabler and in one scene they drink "Punch".
I'd like to make some approximation of what kind of punch a well-to-do Norwegian would have drank in the late 19th century.

I originally thought of some kind of Nordic Sangria type of thing, but research doesn't come up with anything of that sort.
Are they talking about a Swedish "punsch" type of thing or simply a rum punch with tropical fruits that would have come from the trade of the time?

Little help?

It's served cold.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Milk punch made with arrack. I think kenning posted one earlier in the thread, from the wondrich book. I'll post it when I get home if four separate liqour events today don't kill me first.
That would be awesome, thanks. No big rush though; I won't get around to making it for at least a month.

Holy poo poo. Dude is Mr. Punch.
Tangentially, the"Admiral Russel" sounds awfully good, and I have most or all the ingredients but yeah it sounds like I have to add Batavia to my shopping list. I sure hope I get somewhere that is near civilization soon; I also want to get Genever and Absinthe.

Cheers.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Ooh ooh, and I just bought a 1.75L bottle of Myer's Platinum for under $20. It was mis-priced by the distributor, apparently, to the same price as the 750 and the state liquor laws required the store to sell it at that price.
I am not a big fan of ginger flavors, what else could I infuse some rum with? Vanilla beans? Pepper corns?

Mint?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

cyberpunksurvivor posted:

teenage girl drink

Mister Macys posted:

Irish Carbomb variant, of some sort.

I think you have to drop it into a pint of Guinness to call it that. Blech.

The shot by itself is sometimes called a B-52, but there are so many variations ont he same theme. A "blowjob" is often the same ingredients + whipped cream.

As a "cocktail" I'd probably call that thing some kind of Irish Mudslide.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Appl posted:

Exactly. Here's an article by the owner of a really delicious cocktail bar that goes into more depth:

http://theblackhoof.com/2011/02/vodka-is-stupid/
Yeah bu -- but what about a -- drat, he's right.
The things I do occasionally drink with Vodka -grapefruit, cranberry, orange - are better with gin.

I do like to have Stoli around, but I don't consider it a neutral spirit; it has a subtle, buttery flavor.
Sometimes I want a vodka gibson and I don't have a bunch of gins around that I think go well with pickled onion. I'm sure there is at least one though, so that's not a real argument.
I have a half gallon of Gordon's or Gilbey's or something that has sat unopened for months. If some girl wants a Cosmo or a Mudslide or something I'm not going to waste the Stoli.

Now I wonder how a Harvey Wallbanger would be with gin or clear rum.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Alternatively, make all the same recipes and see how they compare! It's all about enjoying your booze. Personally I can tell the difference between a fancy sour made with Redbreast and one made with Evan Williams just as easily as I can tell a burger patty from a steak. Up the quality of all your ingredients and they'll all shine (ie, don't use juice from a plastic yellow lemon).

However, all tequila should be in shot form.:colbert:
I have a lovely palate and I can also tell Single-barrel, aged Irish Whiskey from bourbon. Evan Williams is actually pretty drat good; it just also happens to be cheap. I'd like to see if you could tell a sour made from EW from one with Woodford Reserve or its ilk.

quote:

VSOP
Isn't Hennessy a VSOP? I tried looking at their web site but it was far too annoying.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 5, 2012

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Meaty Ore posted:

This may or may not have been brought up already, but is there anything particularly wrong with making a martini using Hendrick's, as I've heard? Something about the flavor profile not being quite right for a proper dry martini? I made one with some Dolin dry vermouth last night (1:3) and garnished with an olive, and didn't think there was anything particularly off about it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. BUT, try it with a slice or two of cucumber and see if you don't agree that it's better than with an olive.
Different gins have different herbs and whatnots that go into them; the stuff in Hendrick's goes better with cucumber or a couple other garnishes than it does with olive (according to a lot of people including me).

I also don't think it goes particularly well with citrus. I've really liked string beans and grilled cocktail shrimp garnishes in Hendrick's.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Doh004 posted:

I have this small bottle of club soda that's gonna go flat soon. I have bourbon, rye, vodka, gin, silver tequila, ginger rum, spiced rum, "clear" rum (bacardi superior, it was cheap for the ginger rum), grenadine, rose's lime juice, maraschino cherries, limes, lemons, oranges, angostura bitters.

Goons, what cocktail do I make tonight with any of those ingredients with the club soda?

I'd probably have a Tom Collins or a Gin Fizz if I "needed" to use club soda.

Just squeeze all the juice from a lime into a glass with a bunch of ice, add a teaspoon or so of fine sugar or a dash of simple syrup, a couple ounces of gin, shake it up and then add the club soda at the end to to the top.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Corvettefisher posted:

[00:39] <corvettefisher> im gunan hack a everclear this weekend
[00:39] <corvettefisher> oughta be fun

[00:39] <fudepen> hahah
[00:39] <SKeLL> WTF
[00:39] <SKeLL> get PICS!
[00:39] <SKeLL> before and after!

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Kenning posted:

... A few more gentle stirs and in with the ice block!
Why does the block of ice go in last? I have little tupperware bowls I make punchbowl-ice in.

It sounds great and I'm going to try it, scaled down quite a bit. The problem I have with punch is that not everyone is always going to want punch; half the people still want a beer, a glass of wine, or their particular poison (g+t, more often than not). If I have 25 people over I probably only make a couple gallons and would still have some left over for breakfast.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Kenning posted:

Listen, this is a lot of words on the internet, but good drinking in general, and punch in particular, has been a passion of mine for a few years. I am only very slightly exaggerating when I say that Wondrich's Punch! changed my life. There's a lot of proselytizing you've gotta do when you're trying to get people to drink well, cause people don't drink well, usually. But if you talk it up, and show them a serious cocktail (or a serious bowl) a few times, pretty soon they learn to RSVP immediately when you mention you're having a punch party, even if everywhere else they drink they stick with beer or a G&T.

What the gently caress, man? I just wanted to know why the ice went in last, not your whole goddamn life story!
(Actually, your wonderful post might change my life a bit and I might just buy that book now.)

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

Thanks for running the numbers. I think the plan is going to be to start with the Limmer's Club punch, since its cheap, and if no one likes it/chips in for it then I'm not out that much.

And when they try it and love it, they can pay upfront for me to make the fancy stuff. :D

So expect to hear a punch trip report after next weekend. Assuming I can find Orange blossom water anywhere. Is that something that a higher end "organic" grocery store would have?

Failing that, I looked this up a few months ago when that recipe was posted.
People seem to have had pretty good luck making a substitute by infusing sweet wine with orange peels.

I just said gently caress it and dumped some triple sec and a dash of blood orange bitters in there. It was good, but I have no idea how close it was.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

my Gordon's cup someone is getting cut.

Am I right in thinking you make a variant of the Pimm's Cup with Gordon's? Can you post a recipe"

I know this has been covered before, but what does one do to substitute in some commonly available gin for Pimm's? A little brandy and a little bitters?
There is little chance of my finding it, but I do have a handle of Gordon's and access to a really nice local gin with lots of juniper and some blueberry in it, among other things I can't identify.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

pork never goes bad posted:

You can get Pimm's at Bevmo or Safeway in California! Where do you live that you can't find it?

Take a left at Northeast Bumfuck and drive until you can no longer get a cell phone signal. Then you should be able to hitch a ride here on a seaplane.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

sharkattack posted:

I'm assuming that this is the correct thread for this?

I made this on Fourth of July for a large party- Minty Watermelon-Cucumber Cooler

Watermelon + lime juice + cucumber + mint simple syrup + club soda + loooots of white rum, it was a hit :).

Speaking of watermelon, and of Pimm's Cups earlier, a friend of mine recently posted a photo on facebook of the drink he'd enjoyed earlier that day. He called it a "Charred Watermelon Pimm's Cup". I, and several others asked him for the recipe, but he hasn't been back on the facebook for a week or so.
I went out of state recently and found a bottle of Pimm's; I also have some nice watermelon.
What is "charred watermelon"? Is it just how it sounds, like I could hold a chunk in my charcoal grill with tongs and then garnish with it? Maybe dunk it in some brandy first? Is it even something I should do?
It just sounded cool to me.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Very Strange Things posted:

Speaking of watermelon, and of Pimm's Cups earlier, a friend of mine recently posted a photo on facebook of the drink he'd enjoyed earlier that day. He called it a "Charred Watermelon Pimm's Cup". I, and several others asked him for the recipe, but he hasn't been back on the facebook for a week or so.
I went out of state recently and found a bottle of Pimm's; I also have some nice watermelon.
What is "charred watermelon"? Is it just how it sounds, like I could hold a chunk in my charcoal grill with tongs and then garnish with it? Maybe dunk it in some brandy first? Is it even something I should do?
It just sounded cool to me.

If anyone gives a poo poo, this is what he emailed me a few minutes ago:

my buddy posted:

Charrede watermelon Pimm's Cup

here it is. 1 1/2 oz of Pimm's'
1 oz Bombay Gin
2 oz Watermelon juice (grill watermelon slices 5 min. on each side until charred. cool, blend and strain.)
Pour ingredients over ice in collins glass
Add ginger ale to fill ( we used fresh ginger ale by Bruce Cost)
Enjoy

I'll probably add a couple slices of cucumber, do more like 2 oz. Pimm's, and I'm guessing he meant to say to reserve some of the melon for garnish.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

The Tinfoil Price posted:

Could you explain why grain alcohol is a bad idea with jello? I've read the Craft of the Cocktail and The Essential Cocktail by Dale Degroff and I'm halfway through the Savoy Cocktail book at the moment.

I typically use fresh ingredients when I mix, but I've lately been making jello shots instead of mixing for the parties I host since I'd rather hit on girls than stand behind a table making drinks all night. I pretty much only make cocktails now for date nights, event gigs and dinner parties.

Hey Kenning, have anything you'd like to say about that?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Alright, my office is having a party friday afternoon and I'm in charge of making "jungle juice or punch or something, enough to get 24 people drunk". Coworkers are aged 23 to 55 with a mix of people who are beer drinkers, wine snobs, cocktail artisans, and people whose dream drink would be described as "something sweet that doesn't taste like alcohol".

Any recommendations for a punch? I know that Admiral Russell punch recipe is the first one in the arsenal, but that won't go over well here.

Is there someone in one of those groups that
a. you want to gently caress
b. is in charge of your review
?
Important.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

There is a gin based punch mentioned a few pages back that would probably do the trick. Should be pretty sweet, and if you get some decent gin, not taste like boozy pine sol.

Speaking of gin, I am throwing a gin cocktail party tomorrow night and wanted some recommendations for a good workhorse mixing gin.

Right now the plan is pick up some Cointreau, sweet vermouth and campari (maybe some maraschino if I can fit it into the budget). A friend said he would bring some champagne for french 75s. So we will have a huge amount of different drinks to make. Another friend is bringing the bottoms of a few different bottles of gin for some variety, but we will need more.

Gilbey's is the cheapest gin that doesn't taste completely like poo poo; it's pretty neutral-tasting, really. I haven't bought any in years, but I remember it being about $12 for a half-gallon.

Gordon's is a good step up from there. I'd get Gordon's if I was making a big punch or a shitload of mixed drinks, but I'm pretty cheap. Probably around $19 for the handle.

At the next tier up from there, I would get Beefeater; it's slightly cheaper than Tanqueray and I like it much better. I like it more than Bombay, actually. $20 a fifth. I've never bought a half-gallon, but I'd assume it's a little over $30.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Invalid Octopus posted:

As much as I like them, she asked me to make up a signature cocktail, so I was asking for advice on what the third flavor of vodka to mess around with should be. Ended up picking up some Asian pears!

I was going to suggest Rhubarb.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Kenning posted:

I regret being out of town during the whole Everclear jello shot thing. I guess that happens though.

The other night I had a friend over and offered him a drink. He didn't know what he wanted, so I told him to give me an adjective, any adjective, and I'd make a drink for it. I was expecting like "sharp" or something. He said "seething," which is in fact a verb, but whatever. The drink I came up with was actually pretty satisfying.

Seething Cocktail

2 oz. cognac
1/2 oz. Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur
3/4 oz. lemon juice
dash simple
Campari

Shake cognac, Domaine de Canton, lemon, and sugar together in a mixing tin. Strain into an appropriate glass, then dribble in just enough Campari over the back of a spoon to give the drink a bit of a red glow near the bottom.

The warmth of the ginger and the bitter bite of the Campari, along with the redness at the bottom, gave it a distinctly seething character, to my mind. I also feel like cognac is a very resentful spirit. I'd make it again.

The Cognac was angry that day, my friends, like an old man trying to return soup at a deli.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

nrr posted:

Ditch the hell out of the soda, and I'd soak that sugar cube in bitters.

Also, no marachino cherries. Ever. That goes for everyone in this thread. Don't ask me to source it, but everyone I know talks about a study that lists Marachino cherries as being a cause of cancer. Regardless of whether that study is worth anything or not, they're full of sugar, not real cherries, and taste like poo poo. gently caress marachino cherries - unless you're making actual marachino cherries ie. Real cherries soaked in marachino liqueur. Other acceptaple alternatives are soaking them in brandy or bourbon. It's super simple, and it's super worth it.

Please though, do me (and yourself!) a favour and don't ever use those lovely loving bullshit sugar bombs, soaked in colour and preservatives, in any drink you make. Ever. Thanks.

My mother's old boyfriend told me he toured a plant once and will never again eat one, but I've watched a couple videos and the process doesn't seem as bad as what he described.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ombBsECUY7o
The only suspect thing for me is how much corn syrup goes into them and, at about 1:15 or so in this video, they just refer to a "brine" into which the cherries go to get them all a uniform pale yellow color. Anything could be in a brine. A bunch of weird salts, maybe bleach?
I have them occasionally anyway.

I have a question. Should I get these stemless cocktail glasses that sit in a tumbler of ice?? The price is pretty good, but, I had a Martini years ago in a bar that used them and loved it, went back recently and they no longer used them. The current bartender said something like, "they were more trouble than they were worth," but didn't really go into too much detail. I can imagine that tipsy patrons might be inclined to set them down outside the base occasionally. I really like my straight ups to be ice cold. Hell, I even like some of my neats to be cold, though that seems weird to say...

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
All I know is that I put just a tiny splash of Pomegranate/Pineapple-flavored seltzer in my Old fashioned last night, on a whim, and it loving ruuuined it.
We've been using blood orange bitters and cranberry bitters on white sugar cubes, muddled with a maraschino cherry and one clementine segment between two drinks. I really think I'm going to back it off a bit on the sweet fruit though; I'm sure the bitters impart more than enough flavor for me, without taking away from the Bourbon.
What I would like to try now is brown sugar instead of white. Does anyone do that?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

cyberia posted:

I'm hosting a party for a bunch of girls who love drinking but don't like anything too strong so I thought I'd make a sweet-ish punch that's preferably not too heavy. So far I was thinking some variation on vodka, Malibu and pineappple juice but I'd love some suggestions to make it more exciting.

On the off chance that Kenning doesn't show up to tell you all about punch and how terrible your punch sounds, your punch sounds terrible.

Make a nice champagne punch. What is your budget? The better, more expensive ingredients are in parentheses.

Half a bottle of brandy (Cognac)
Half a bottle of triple sec (Grand marnier, Contreau)
Maybe half a cup of fruity liqueur, to tast, like raspberry (Chambord).
A lemon, a few oranges, a pineapple
A couple bottles of champagne
Make some big ice cubes by freezing some nice clean water in little tupperware containers
Make it the non-champagne part of it the night before with the the pineapple and citrus things I bolded from *the following post (even better: just make the punch in the post, but it sounds like you want something simpler and lighter), then add the champagne, and maybe some gingerale, right before it's served. I've successfully put black raspberry ice cream in a similar punch (mine, not Kenning's). Your results may vary:

Kenning posted:

...Regent's Punch

8 oz. white brandy (I use BarSol Pisco) or VSOP Cognac
2 oz. batavia arrack
2 oz. Jamaican rum
2 oz. maraschino or pineapple syrup (I go for the syrup, even though I am a maraschino addict)
16 oz. strong green tea
4 oz. white sugar
the peel and juice of 1 bitter orange, 2 sweet oranges, and 2 lemons
2 bottles of champagne

Make your pineapple syrup by making a 2:1 turbinado or demerara syrup, then soaking a fresh-chopped pineapple in it over night. Strain through a cheesecloth, squeezing well to extract every last drop of pineappley deliciousness.

Muddle the citrus peels in the sugar and let sit for as long as possible. Dissolve with the squeezed, strained juice a
nd the tea (which you make by steeping 2 tsp loose tea or 2 teabags with 16 oz. water for 5 minutes), fish out the peels, then add the syrup, spirits, and champagne. Then smile.

edit: I'm pretty sure turbinado is just brown sugar. You can use honey, agave nectar, "sugar in the raw", or just fine white sugar instead.
-----
re-edit:
A much simpler suggestion.
The stock answer to your question of how to make anything with vodka better is, "use gin".

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 10, 2012

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Mix it with gasoline, the next time you fill up, to keep your carbs clean. (Don't though.)

I would make regular drinks or desserts and then float a little on top to set on fire. Put it out before you drink it or you might end up setting your shirt or your throat on fire.

A shot of Amaretto, topped with flaming high-proof rum, then chased with a double shot of beer is a fun shot.

Flaming cups of rum punch would be nice at a Halloween party.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Kenning posted:

Drink your cocktails faster. Also shake your gimlets and serve them up.

There are also glass sets like these ridiculous things, but I'm just showing them, not suggesting them.

I bought this set of 12, when the price dropped to $35 recently. The set is $60 now, but it will probably go down again.
I don't like them very much.
Partly because you have to carefully figure out the exact amount of ice to actually chill the cocktail and even then it is only the bottom half that gets chilled. It's a pain to do it each time.
The larger reason I don't like them is that they are too small; I think our normal cocktail glasses are 6 ouncers; these say they are but they clearly are not.
They're a nice novelty. I will probably wrap and give away some pairs of them to give away as gifts.

Oh, if someone really had to try them here is the same set. but of just 6 of them for $13 + $5 shipping. I wish I'd done that; I'd buy them again at that price, just because they look cool.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 26, 2012

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Also while those are cute, the tops are particularly prone to breakage, because the top and bottom are being held at different temps. And the bases really scream for shaved ice, how you make that is your beef (blenders have to be crazy high powered to pulverize without excessive melting).

I have an ice-shaving machine. Somehow, though I've thought of it in passing a couple times, I never filled the base with it. I might trip report Manhattans later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Kenning posted:

I dunno, I've always felt that whisky stones are super gimmicky and nobody actually uses them. As such, if you want whisky stones just buy whatever and give it a go. They're like $20, and if you don't like them they're pretty easy to re-gift. They don't get your drink very cold though. It's like, they'll take it down a couple degrees, but it won't sustain a cocktail. It's for sipping spirits.

Don't be afraid of dilution. Cocktails are meant to be diluted by the ice.

That is how I feel about rocks drinks.
Trip report: I forgot all about putting shave ice in the cocktail 2-piece glasses; I'm having a Manhattan in my regular old $1 cocktail glasses from the local discount store.

However, I coincidentally received a set of whiskey stones for XXXmas yesterday; I never would have bought them myself for the aforementioned reason, but I have been chilling them anyway, to be polite, and I dropped one in each Manhattan. It seems to be keeping it pretty cold.
I can't think of any compelling reason not to drop a stone into a neat drink.

I believe these are made of soap stone; I'll look in a few minutes or so and edit in the brand. I just fished one out of my drink and it is definitely still very cold after a few minutes, so it seems like a fine addition to a neat drink.