Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
I've been loving my sidecars lately.
Current recipe:
1.5oz St. Remy XO Brandy
.75OZ of good quality triple sec
.75oz fresh lemon juice.
Goes great with a Chesterfield or other unfiltered cigarette of your choice.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Inspired by some previous posts in this thread, I just made an old fashioned with Brugal Anejo Rum. Why haven't I tried this before? Its delicious.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Vegetable Melange posted:

Rum/ron/rhum old fashioneds are the poo poo. Use diluted cane syrup for your sugar and some funky bitters and welcome to flavor country (cigarette non-optional).

I'm pairing it with a Cohiba Siglo VI. I've got the tobacco angle covered. Also, I used turbinado sugar cubes.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 3, 2012

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

I had a craving for an Old Fashioned tonight. I had all the essentials, with the glaring exemption of a fresh orange.
However, I did have a couple Clementines on hand.
It turns out that a Clementine Old Fashioned is delicious.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 19, 2012

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Kenning posted:

Except that when people do that with Martinis they're being retarded, since vermouth is a necessary component of the drink, given that it's all that turns what would otherwise be a glass of cold gin into a cocktail. The orange in an Old Fashioned, on the other hand, is an uncouth innovation and ought be roundly condemned.

I'm not one of those people who pulverizes half of an orange and a pile or maraschino cherries into my Old Fashioned. I muddle one sugar cube, a couple of dashes of Angostura, and a tiny bit of soda in the bottom of a glass. I then add 3oz of Bourbon and stir, and pour it into an Old Fashioned glass with ice. The orange comes last, a thin slice twisted over the finished product.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

So, thanks to recommendations in one of the older iterations of this thread, Booth's has become my go-to, everyday gin. It's equally at home in A Martini, Gimlet, or Gin and Tonic.

Nicol Bolas posted:

I tried this once, actually. The result made me retch.

(It was the 21st birthday of someone we didn't particularly like. Someone asked me to mix them "the worst thing ever" and I'm horrible.)

MMM, nothing like chunky, curdled Bailey's.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

So, Tonight I was figuring out what to do with a bottle of Jim Beam Honey Liqueur that was given to me for Christmas by some not very booze-savvy friends. It's thick and syrupy and I don't much like it, either straight or mixed as the main component of a drink. It almost reminded me of bourbon and honey flavored simple syrup. Suddenly an idea hit me, What if I used a small amount of it to replace the sugar cube in an Old Fashioned? I dissolved Angostura and Blood Orange bitters in about 1/4 Ounce of the Beam Honey in the bottom of a glass, then built my normal Old Fashioned on top of it, using Mackenzie Rye from Finger Lakes Distilling. It turned out better than I had hoped. Just the right level of sweetness, and a little background hint of barely recognizable honey flavor on the finish. The bottle will probably last me two years using it at this rate.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

If you like whiskey or amaretto sours, you can use that to stiffen them and replace some of the sugar.

I indeed do. Thanks for the tip!

Also, I really miss J.T.S. Brown 100 BiB. Made by Heaven Hill, it was one of the best cheap Bourbons I've ever had. The Ohio Bureau of Liquor control took it off the master liquor list last year, due to poor sales, which means It'll never be sold here again. It made a great Old Fashioned or Whisky Sour.

I can still get 80 proof J.T.S. Brown, which is horrible swill that makes Old Crow look like Pappy Van Winkle in comparison. The 100 Proof BiB version was a totally different animal, and I miss it dearly.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 23, 2014