Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

Tenterhooks posted:

I felt motivated to put pen to paper:

EDIT: VVV Nothing is so perfect.

That's really good. You should show it to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

When the 5by5 Talk Show ended, Hypercritical was my one show that I would always save and be sure to listen to. Not sure what to do now.

I hope Siracusa will still stick around on The Incomparable from time to time.
He doesn't get free rein as on Hypercritical, although they did give him the Journey show he wanted. The rest of its run I've found to be pretty decent as long as the hosts know something and it's a topic you like. Not every episode is good, even the ones with Siracusa on them. (See for example one on Brave, in which Pixar chauvinism and a mostly male panel made it difficult to listen to. Mulan was criticized by someone who'd never seen it; I think Serenity Caldwell at least tried to save the episode but it was a losing battle.)

Also, I guess Faith wasn't a 'full-time employee'? She got written out of history in the SOTU too. Glad that Haddie's really working out for him.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 22, 2012

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Kangra posted:

Also, I guess Faith wasn't a 'full-time employee'? She got written out of history in the SOTU too.

I found this odd as well.

Ruprecht
Jul 8, 2006

I decided to sleep in the car so my snoring wouldn't bother you, but I left that recording of my snoring so you wouldn't know I'm gone.
I hope the "cultural" focus of 5by5 will include something other than comics. Ihnatko talks about comics half the time, ditto for Moises and even Merlin now, and there are two whole shows just about comics. gently caress – talk about movies, or food, or anything else, please.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I'd like to hear what would pass as a dedicated 5by5 games podcast.

I've got to say, though, the comics focus has definitely drawn my attention to some really entertaining stuff.

Suck
Sep 22, 2002
Hey. It's Marco. Yes, this is my old username here. Siracusa sent me this link, so somehow he actually reads SA more than I do these days.

Thanks for all of the kind words. And for those who said my show was getting too annoying, running out of modern development topics, or full of too many ads: you're right, I think so too, and this is why I'm ending it. (I do laugh too much. That's a valid complaint. I'm a nervous speaker, as you can also tell from my occasional stutter, and the little laughs are simply a side effect of that nervousness. I'd love to stop, but it's so ingrained in my manner that I'm not sure I'll ever be able to, even though it never does me any favors and people always think I'm a bit more of an rear end in a top hat than I really am.)

There's a lot of speculation in here about 5by5 politics. Some of it's correct, but most of it isn't. (Most of those Quora answers were bullshit.)

What Gruber said in that Talk Show explanation was correct: there are two very different sides to Dan, the on-air host and the off-air businessman, and you — the audience — only know the host.

Gruber executed his departure poorly, and I think he'd agree, but I completely supported his decision to leave. Not only was it justifiable, but both 5by5 and The Talk Show were better for it after everything settled down.

But there's a lot less drama behind most of what goes on here than some of the speculation. Dan and I (and Dan and Siracusa) are parting on good terms. There's no grand conspiracy. We're not running off to Mule together next week, nobody has ever quit over T-shirt sales or the iPhone app, and I neither know nor particularly care why Faith was fired or whether she was a full-time employee beforehand.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my show, and I hope you'll try whatever I attempt next in podcasting.

I'll watch this thread for a while and respond to questions if you want.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Suck posted:

Hey. It's Marco. Yes, this is my old username here. Siracusa sent me this link, so somehow he actually reads SA more than I do these days.

Thanks for all of the kind words. And for those who said my show was getting too annoying, running out of modern development topics, or full of too many ads: you're right, I think so too, and this is why I'm ending it. (I do laugh too much. That's a valid complaint. I'm a nervous speaker, as you can also tell from my occasional stutter, and the little laughs are simply a side effect of that nervousness. I'd love to stop, but it's so ingrained in my manner that I'm not sure I'll ever be able to, even though it never does me any favors and people always think I'm a bit more of an rear end in a top hat than I really am.)

There's a lot of speculation in here about 5by5 politics. Some of it's correct, but most of it isn't. (Most of those Quora answers were bullshit.)

What Gruber said in that Talk Show explanation was correct: there are two very different sides to Dan, the on-air host and the off-air businessman, and you — the audience — only know the host.

Gruber executed his departure poorly, and I think he'd agree, but I completely supported his decision to leave. Not only was it justifiable, but both 5by5 and The Talk Show were better for it after everything settled down.

But there's a lot less drama behind most of what goes on here than some of the speculation. Dan and I (and Dan and Siracusa) are parting on good terms. There's no grand conspiracy. We're not running off to Mule together next week, nobody has ever quit over T-shirt sales or the iPhone app, and I neither know nor particularly care why Faith was fired or whether she was a full-time employee beforehand.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my show, and I hope you'll try whatever I attempt next in podcasting.

Hi Marco!

Thanks for taking the time to post in our little corner of SA. While I'm sad to see Build & Analyze go, it feels natural to 'sunset' it now rather than keep it going longer just for the sake of keeping it going longer.

The silver lining, at least for me, was your blogpost about the end of B&A. I now know about Core Intuition as well as Developing Perspective and am loving 'em.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Hey Marco. I'd just like to say that despite any criticism I've posted of your show here, I still listened every single week. I can't say that about every show.

Thanks for taking the time to come by here. I love both Instapaper and The Magazine, by the way.

Ruprecht
Jul 8, 2006

I decided to sleep in the car so my snoring wouldn't bother you, but I left that recording of my snoring so you wouldn't know I'm gone.

Suck posted:

Thanks for the show, Marco! It's been a highlight of my week.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I'll pile on and say thanks for doing the show for so long. I can respect your judgement in knowing when to call it a night, even if I was still listening every week (and would continue to listen for however long you decided to do the show).

I don't have any questions, aside from things that you can't answer/don't have the answer to.

The biggest bummer when stuff like this happens is that it breaks the illusion that everyone being a big happy family. I know that's not realistically the case, but there is an outward amicability and professionalism between everyone at 5by5 that I really respect. I look to 5by5 as an inspiration and example for my own podcast network (Duckfeed.tv), and I'd like to think that the best of them out there can make it last forever.

Build & Analyze, Hypercritical, and Back to Work are appointment listening for me, and the two that are departing will be sorely missed. I look forward to hearing from you on the Crossover.

(All of the talk of SA recently had me wondering if you'd pop into this thread. I'm glad you did).

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Diabolik900 posted:

Hey Marco. I'd just like to say that despite any criticism I've posted of your show here, I still listened every single week. I can't say that about every show.

Thanks for taking the time to come by here. I love both Instapaper and The Magazine, by the way.

Get out of my brain! Identical sentiments here.

Lately I've been likening B&A to Apple itself a lot - there's plenty of little things one can grumble about, and despite how often I find myself saying "maybe I should try something else" I usually end up sheepishly showing up with money [or time] to expend!

Thanks.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

By the way, the latest Critical Path episode with Benedict Evans is simply incredible if you care at all about the mobile industry.

I've just started a second listen; it's that good (and despite my enormous podcast queue).

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
I would like to add another "Thanks, Marco!" to the pile. I'm sure I whined earlier in the thread with petty gripes about Build & Analyze, but two years is a lot of content and entertainment. I hope you'll appear on The Crossover and The Talk Show from time to time.

(Also thanks for responding to those rumors. It's not required, but it is appreciated.)

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Hey Marco,

Bah! I saw someone tweet John with a link to my illustration here and I was like "Oh no, that's really embarrassing, I was being a whiny jerk in that thread!". So, apologies for being a whiny jerk. B&A was the first 5by5 show I ever listened to (think I found it through your blog) and, despite being a non-developer, a non-coffee drinker and a non-car driver, I really enjoyed it. The last couple of episodes have got me back into it after a little break and I'll be sad to see it go.

One thing I've been thinking about since you launched The Magazine is how editorial illustration (possibly even more so than editorial journalism) needs to evolve as technology changes. Is this, as someone who's trying out new things in the magazine racket, something you've given much consideration to? Not that I'm pitching - regular artwork would likely detract from the lightness of The Magazine, but I'm sure there's a whole lotta people out there, myself included, who make a living drawing pictures and are wondering if we're in for a tough time (well, tougher than usual) as the printed page continues to struggle.

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

Suck posted:

Hey. It's Marco … and people always think I'm a bit more of an rear end in a top hat than I really am.

But you're our favourite rear end in a top hat.

Suck
Sep 22, 2002

Tenterhooks posted:

One thing I've been thinking about since you launched The Magazine is how editorial illustration (possibly even more so than editorial journalism) needs to evolve as technology changes. Is this, as someone who's trying out new things in the magazine racket, something you've given much consideration to? Not that I'm pitching - regular artwork would likely detract from the lightness of The Magazine, but I'm sure there's a whole lotta people out there, myself included, who make a living drawing pictures and are wondering if we're in for a tough time (well, tougher than usual) as the printed page continues to struggle.

I've been looking into illustration.

The biggest question is whether it's worth the cost. A good article illustration from an experienced artist will cost about $300–600, depending on complexity. As an opportunity cost, I need to decide whether it's worth paying the authors more or getting more articles instead. How many people will skip past the illustrations without even noticing them? Would I get and retain more subscribers by having 6 articles per issue instead of 4? Or would I get more by having illustrations because it would look nicer, richer, and more magazine-like?

Or are illustrations in modern publications unnecessary, like the DJ promotion in that Louie CK article I quoted in the Foreword?

The choice isn't obvious. I'm going to try a few illustrations in the near future and see how it goes.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Oh, that's cool. I know Wired ask illustrators if they can animate their artwork for the iPad for an additional fee, creating essentially 20 frame loops - like fancy animated gifs. They're fun to make and can look awesome in their own right, but I dunno if they add (or really, really distract) from the writing. It's nice that they're trying to do something specific to the medium, though.

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 26, 2012

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Suck posted:

there are two very different sides to Dan, the on-air host and the off-air businessman, and you — the audience — only know the host.

Is it fair to say any future podcasts you're integral to won't be on 5by5?

Not to suggest you have any regrets with B&A, of course, just looking to the future.

Suck
Sep 22, 2002

pokeyman posted:

Is it fair to say any future podcasts you're integral to won't be on 5by5?

Not to suggest you have any regrets with B&A, of course, just looking to the future.

It depends. Working with 5by5 brings a large audience and removes almost all of the grunt work required to make, distribute, and monetize a podcast.

But I also like to control things myself, build everything my way, and completely own what I produce. That's why I'm much more likely to try to self-host in the future than go to a different podcast network.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^ Surely I'm not the only one who just read "monetize" in the "braaaannds" voice? :D

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Marco, I've had a great time listening to you, and wish you the best in all your future endeavors.

I think you've always presented a rational perspective on things, and had a great head for even personally controversial topics. Readability, for example, could have been handled with a lot less grace. You have been pretty acerbic about twitter, particularly after the tumblr thing, but that was even mostly expressed through twitter and not on your podcast. And I don't really think anyone has been defending twitter (outside of their organization).

I know software development. And I work and interact socially with people in the field. You're not arrogant, don't worry about it. You might only come off that way to someone who knows nothing about development. All it takes is one job in the sector and people would get that.

I understand the show has run its course, and respect that you feel the time has come to end it. I wish things were different, but I understand your choice.

Thanks, again, for all the hours of listening.

Suck
Sep 22, 2002

Lexicon posted:

^ Surely I'm not the only one who just read "monetize" in the "braaaannds" voice? :D

I wanted a different word and thought about that a bit, but "monetize" fit the parallel structure best there. I know it's a doucheword, but it's not quite douchey enough to avoid altogether even when it's the smoothest-flowing choice.

"Brand" isn't, either, actually. I'll use "brand" when it makes sense, like if I'm talking about Lexus being Toyota's luxury brand, or that Sony's quality problems have damaged their brand value.

People are douchey when they use these words to obfuscate or hide a more clear or direct alternative.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Suck posted:

I wanted a different word and thought about that a bit, but "monetize" fit the parallel structure best there. I know it's a doucheword, but it's not quite douchey enough to avoid altogether even when it's the smoothest-flowing choice.

"Brand" isn't, either, actually. I'll use "brand" when it makes sense, like if I'm talking about Lexus being Toyota's luxury brand, or that Sony's quality problems have damaged their brand value.

People are douchey when they use these words to obfuscate or hide a more clear or direct alternative.

For sure; I totally agree. "brand" and "monetize" are perfectly valid words and concepts.

I didn't intend my statement to come across as a criticism at all, and hopefully it wasn't received as such - it just reminded me of the special place the word "brand" holds in B&A!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I really wish Back to Work would get better. There are episodes in it that are like gospel to me, and got me through insanely hard times at work and understanding myself. And like Build and Analyze, it only works if there's regular progress with the hosts that matches the show's conceit. Maybe Merlin needs a real job for us to get relevant discussions again.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
I haven't listened to "Quit!" yet, I honestly thought it was a joke (similar to Back To Work ending). I'm still sad about Build and Analyze and Hypercritical ending, but hopefully I'll like Quit! and I already like the Crossover based on one episode, so I'll have enough things to listen to throughout the week.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Quit! was great, but unless they can get more calls I don't know how it can last more than a couple episodes.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
I went to the 5by5 meetup last week, it was very low key but fun and awkward at the same time.

Tenterhooks posted:

I felt motivated to put pen to paper:

EDIT: VVV Nothing is so perfect.

Dan specifically mentioned how much he loved your artwork, I think someone asked about hypercritical tshirts and he said he would have loved to print your artwork, but Siracusa wouldn't consent to any tshirt at all, let alone a caricature of him.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

It seems like Back to Work is finally talking about productivity again. Which is nice. Definitely the easier route, over changing the name to 'Back to Not That Funny In-Jokes about Other Podcasts, Comic Books, and 60's Music'.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

End of an era. Thankfully, I still have most of his back catalog to go through when my podcast feed is a bit sparse.

In other 5by5 news, the new Quit! show is absolutely awesome.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Lexicon posted:

End of an era. Thankfully, I still have most of his back catalog to go through when my podcast feed is a bit sparse.

In other 5by5 news, the new Quit! show is absolutely awesome.

Did it get better after the first episode? I didn't understand why the guest was there at all.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

I'll echo all of this as well.

Having only recently discovered 5by5 a couple months back, I feel like I was thrown into the deep end unable to swim. So much great content with not enough hours in a day.
Back To Work is one I'm really into, and even went out and bought Getting Things Done due to the recent string of episodes. The Crossover is fantastic as well and it was a great opener with Marco & Merlin.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

friendo55 posted:

I'll echo all of this as well.

Having only recently discovered 5by5 a couple months back, I feel like I was thrown into the deep end unable to swim. So much great content with not enough hours in a day.
Back To Work is one I'm really into, and even went out and bought Getting Things Done due to the recent string of episodes. The Crossover is fantastic as well and it was a great opener with Marco & Merlin.

I've been thinking about putting together a GTD/Omnifocus thread, spurred on especially by Merlin's return to productivity talk.

EDIT: Also, haven't listened to the last Hypercritical yet. Saving it for a rainy day :3:

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I've been thinking about putting together a GTD/Omnifocus thread, spurred on especially by Merlin's return to productivity talk.

EDIT: Also, haven't listened to the last Hypercritical yet. Saving it for a rainy day :3:

I'd be interested in a GTD thread. I've been doing the system off and on for years, and while I hate sitting through Merlin's comics chat, I love that he comes at GTD from the perspective of a creative person rather than an office drone. GTD is brilliant but feels designed for 1995 corporate mid-level managers.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
So I'm a long time B2W listener, and I've followed Merlin since he was on MacBreak Weekly and would speak about apps or books or whatever that supported his GTD productivity 'image' if you will. I feel like the last episodes detailing the GTD overview have been really weak. Merlin has been going over GTD concepts and framing topics over the past few episodes, but it has felt really disjointed. I almost feel like he'd be better off doing a single episode to drive a bigger point home. I agree that the show has gotten less focused over the past 15 or so episodes, and when I heard Dan and Merlin announce that they were going to review GTD, I got excited because it was the kind of thing that hooked me on productivity thinking and Merlin's work in general. But it felt pretty lackluster and kind of trudging along by the last two episodes. Does anyone else feel this way? I may hold this opinion because I feel like in earlier episodes where the topics were pretty clear and Merlin was plenty focused, there would be little bites and hints of GTD throughout the episodes.

My favorite episode has to be #64: Frozen Poster. It really struck a note with me in terms of personal success vs. happiness, I think it's great. The other episodes other posters mentioned are also quality, so newcomers should probably listen to the older stuff to get the real meat of the show.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Siguy posted:

GTD is brilliant but feels designed for 1995 corporate mid-level managers.

I think this is the first impression everyone has of GTD. I first approached it in 2007, and didn't pick it up for very long. I've always had attention and focusing issues, and so much of that was predicated simply on not really having a solid idea of what to do next. For me nowadays, getting into it again, I barely use GTD for work-related things, but I use it for basically every other part of my life that requires planning. It's about being honest with yourself that if you care about things, and want to do those things, you're going to have to sit down and figure out how those things are going to happen. And you're going to put those steps in a sane place so you can actually do the things instead of agonizing about them or never really committing to them.

Good software helps. OmniFocus is a dream. But it's not about the software, it's about ubiquitous capture, being honest with yourself about priorities, and setting aside a time where you actually plan the work you say is important to you. And that applies to creative people as well as drones.

I have contentions with it, mostly along the lines of the deep work vs. shallow work argument, but gently caress is it nice to get my mind off the constant stress of "What are all the things I have to remember to do?", while nicely mitigating the stress of "Oh my god I have a huge loving to-do list and I don't know where to start."

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I work a job (media production) that's one half project management, the other half writing and creative direction. If I didn't have something approximating GTD, I'd be too worked up by the former to be good at the latter. Merlin says it and David says it, but it's true: GTD helps you feel comfortable with the work you're NOT doing. Having "call client about X on Wednesday" in Omnifocus means that the Client Calling problem can wait, and Tuesday is about being funny.

I came to GTD through Merlin during college, so I got used to using it for student responsibilities... Which is pretty far away from being a corporate stooge. I benefitted from learning what to ignore (corporate speak, fax machines) and what I couldn't possibly ignore and still function (contexts, ubiquitous capture, and reviews).

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I'd love a GTD goonthread. I write a small website called http://technologynotes.net that covers a ton of GTD/productivity stuff and I'm going to be on a few podcasts with Gabe Weatherhead (macdrifter) which I suppose will appear in a few weeks (one's recorded, the other one doesn't record for a few weeks). I owe my entire interest in this stuff to Merlin and his appearances on Mac Power Users podcast.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

So Siracusa, Marco and some other dude have just started a podcast on cars: http://neutral.fm

Disappointing for me, because I don't give a crap about cars, but I'm sure others may enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Lexicon posted:

So Siracusa, Marco and some other dude have just started a podcast on cars: http://neutral.fm

Disappointing for me, because I don't give a crap about cars, but I'm sure others may enjoy.

Nice! I'm really intrigued about listening to Siracusa talk about cars.

• Locked thread