Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I agree about the "instapaper.com" thing. It's an LLC and it's called "Instapaper, LLC". He should just refer to him as "the founder of Instapaper" and be done with it.

I also 1000% agree about the Andy Inahtko comment. I listened to two shows and wasn't into his show at all. I had high hopes because he writes some entertaining and interesting reviews but I think he uses too many words nowadays and his "voice presence" isn't there.

Andy's thoughts in the article on the whole "ringer/silent" switch turned me off too, mainly because I thought they were stupid and didn't think of the whole picture. I don't necessarily just need to listen to podcasts I agree with, but if I have a limited amount of time to listen each week, podcasts I get infuriated by tend to fall out of my queue pretty fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I'm trying to decide whether or not I like the little memes and throughlines that connect each show. Don't get me wrong, I love "bulk bag", but stuff like the Mute/Ring switch and the toaster oven make the round on every show. I like hearing everyone's thoughts on these topics, but it gets kind of tiring to hear all of that ground get retread when the topics are brought back up.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I just listened to the Kindacritical special with Merlin, Marco, and Dan.

I wish this kind of thing happened more often. What a goddamn delight.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Google stuff got tiring after a while, but I am already on record in here about how I'd like more of this kind of thing, so overall it was a delight.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

I listen to every Build & Analyse, Hypercritical and Talk Show. And I think I like them in that order (B&A most)

Any recommendations for a fourth show to pick up? It doesn't have to be 5by5, but I'm not sure I can imagine listening to a show without Dan in. The odd episodes where someone else co-hosts are really jarring.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

sicut patribus sit deus nobis

Nevett posted:

I listen to every Build & Analyse, Hypercritical and Talk Show. And I think I like them in that order (B&A most)

Any recommendations for a fourth show to pick up? It doesn't have to be 5by5, but I'm not sure I can imagine listening to a show without Dan in. The odd episodes where someone else co-hosts are really jarring.

Back to Work is the other flagship show aside from those three, but your enjoyment of it will stem entirely from where you fall on your opinion of Merlin. I think he's great, but I know his style is not to everyone's taste. I don't listen to B&A so I can't really say which of the other shows is most like that.

The only other shows I know of that Dan is on besides B2W are Critical Path (which I haven't listened to and can't vouch for) and Ihnatko Almanac, which I enjoy but it's kind of random compared to the reasonably predictable focus of the other shows. Andy also has an obsession with trying to get the show shorter and shorter, while my ideal 5by5 shows are the 90 minute+ monstrosities along with 20-30 min of After Dark. But that's just me.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

patricius posted:

Back to Work is the other flagship show aside from those three, but your enjoyment of it will stem entirely from where you fall on your opinion of Merlin. I think he's great, but I know his style is not to everyone's taste. I don't listen to B&A so I can't really say which of the other shows is most like that.

The only other shows I know of that Dan is on besides B2W are Critical Path (which I haven't listened to and can't vouch for) and Ihnatko Almanac, which I enjoy but it's kind of random compared to the reasonably predictable focus of the other shows. Andy also has an obsession with trying to get the show shorter and shorter, while my ideal 5by5 shows are the 90 minute+ monstrosities along with 20-30 min of After Dark. But that's just me.

Cheers. Just listened to a Back to Work. Quite enjoyed Merlin's hyper style compared to Gruber's "yeah.... I dunno" laid back style.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

For those who listened to this week's B2W/AD, this is brilliant.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Quick question: They occasionally allude to using an older version of Skype, since the current version of Skype for Mac is utter poison. Can anyone remember which version 5by5 uses? I'm at the end of my rope here.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

Song For The Deaf posted:

Quick question: They occasionally allude to using an older version of Skype, since the current version of Skype for Mac is utter poison. Can anyone remember which version 5by5 uses? I'm at the end of my rope here.

They all use 2.8, I'm pretty sure.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
It appears John Gruber has left the building? http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/05/18/the-talk-show

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

cbirdsong posted:

It appears John Gruber has left the building? http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/05/18/the-talk-show
Yeah, I'm kind of curious as to whether there's any backstory there.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

My understanding is that Gruber is very good friends with Mike Monteiro, who runs the show's new home, so I would guess it's just because of that and not because there's any issue between him and Dan.

Edit: Dan's also mentioned several times wanting to cut back on the number of shows he co-hosts himself so he has more time to do other things. That could also be a factor, but who knows really?

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 18, 2012

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Starting on 9/11 this year I've 'season passed' Keith Olbermann on my tivo.

Also, Golden Girls.

cbirdsong posted:

He appears to have fireball'd the new site.

It's a shame. I like Dan and his chemistry with his guests. I hope Gruber moving doesn't change the show much.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Diabolik900 posted:

My understanding is that Gruber is very good friends with Mike Monteiro, who runs the show's new home, so I would guess it's just because of that and not because there's any issue between him and Dan.

Edit: Dan's also mentioned several times wanting to cut back on the number of shows he co-hosts himself so he has more time to do other things. That could also be a factor, but who knows really?

Dan is starting a new show next month "The Big Show" which I'm actually looking forward to:

http://blog.5by5.tv/2012/5/18/coming-soon-big-week-with-dan-benjamin

He's been talking about this on twitter and in After Darks for some time so it's not directly a reaction to Gruber leaving, unless it's been coming for some time. Seems unlikely to be unrelated though, since the announcement of both came the same day.

So it's probably a combination of Dan wanting to do fewer "______ and Dan" shows and I bet Mule also offered Gruber more money.

anotherone fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 18, 2012

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

Even if there's no bad blood, it is weird to have TTS leaving, because it has such a long history as a production involving Dan and in some ways it was the 'flagship' show of the network. It had a different feel from all the other shows, probably owing to the lack of focus/structure. Looking forward to Big Week, though.

And I still want Dan and Merlin to do the morning zoo.

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Also, Golden Girls.
Just listened to the new 'talk show'. Not as good as the old one. Just meanders, and the co-host (is he permanent, or will it be rotating?) was just kind of annoying.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Dan deserves more credit for the role that he plays on his shows. He's a tremendous moderator and facilitator, and really gets the best out of whoever he talks to. It's a shame that Grubes left... I don't know if I'd like to listen to him without Dan.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

One thing that people have pointed out is that this probably took Dan by surprise since he was just finalizing the TTS t-shirts for WWDC just a couple weeks ago, so this has to have been a really recent development. Mule Radio says that John approached them and that there was no poaching or bad blood between them and 5by5 as such, but it still seems like a dick move on John's part. I suppose it's possible that Dan had been planning to stop co-hosting TTS anyway per his comments about wanting to co-host fewer shows, but it certainly looks otherwise.

Either way, the total lack of comment from either of them is only fanning the speculation fire. Curious to see what info, if any, emerges in the next week or so. I'm not even going to bother listening now... I'll probably slot in another 5by5 show instead, maybe Amplified or Build & Analyze.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Dan deserves more credit for the role that he plays on his shows. He's a tremendous moderator and facilitator, and really gets the best out of whoever he talks to. It's a shame that Grubes left... I don't know if I'd like to listen to him without Dan.
I agree with this 100%. Dan really is great at what he does and I have grown to enjoy what he brings to the table with each show.

As far as Gruber goes, I've heard a lot of Monteiro snark in his shows at time but he remained classy while doing so. However I will have a hard time supporting anything Mike is involved with. He is as close to an amoral evil despicable person as I've ever met. Total scumbag.

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Also, Golden Girls.

he1ixx posted:

As far as Gruber goes, I've heard a lot of Monteiro snark in his shows at time but he remained classy while doing so. However I will have a hard time supporting anything Mike is involved with. He is as close to an amoral evil despicable person as I've ever met. Total scumbag.

As someone that's new to Monteiro, what is it that he's done that makes him a scumbag?

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

thedavid posted:

As someone that's new to Monteiro, what is it that he's done that makes him a scumbag?
I can't really get too specific but it was stuff on a personal level that happened when we were neighbors. Sure people can change but in his case I doubt it. We have mutual friends who say he's still pretty much the same guy he was years ago.

One funny story I can tell is I had a buddy in LA who was friends with Mike's then-girlfriend and Mike and this person stopped in for a visit on their way to TX or something.

Afterwards I get a call from my buddy and was like "man that Mike guy was a complete rear end in a top hat. Made fun of us to our faces, poo poo-talked our house and friends, wasn't nice to <gf>... Etc". I just thought, "yup. Sounds about right."

Dude basically thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, annoyingly usually is, makes everyone pay for the fact by being a classless dick. I wish him all the worst in life.

Ruprecht
Jul 8, 2006

I decided to sleep in the car so my snoring wouldn't bother you, but I left that recording of my snoring so you wouldn't know I'm gone.

patricius posted:

Either way, the total lack of comment from either of them is only fanning the speculation fire. Curious to see what info, if any, emerges in the next week or so.

I've always been confused at this silent strategy when dealing with professional drama. It's one thing when the cat is still in the bag: keep quiet and hope no one notices.

But when everyone knows something has changed, pretending it's just business as normal is transparent as hell and accomplishes nothing. Would Hacker News comments be any more of a cesspool if one of them was up-front and honest about what happened? No.

Of course, in the grand scheme of things who gives a poo poo, just gossiping.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
Gruber is just trolling Dan Benjamin now:

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/05/19/harmon

Stutes fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 20, 2012

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
"Why Wasn't I Consulted?"

Gruber is in full-on passive aggressive mode.

I think he's right to an extent. He doesn't owe anyone anything for a free show, but it's schizophrenic to ask people to buy your tshirts, donate to your site, and visit your advertisers and then a week later tell them you don't care whether they like you or listen to your show.

A simple one sentence statement would've avoided all this goofy twitter drama.

cioxx
Jul 14, 2001

Good speculation here. I think this is actually close to the truth

http://www.quora.com/The-Talk-Show/Why-did-John-Grubers-The-Talk-Show-switch-podcast-networks

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

cioxx posted:

Good speculation here. I think this is actually close to the truth

http://www.quora.com/The-Talk-Show/Why-did-John-Grubers-The-Talk-Show-switch-podcast-networks
Sounds about right. It sums up my thoughts on Montiero too but from a business perspective, rather than my admittedly personal one.

My worry is that Merlin (who also knows Monteiro from the early web design boom), Dalrymple, Siracusa and others leave 5by5 out of allegiance to John. I doubt it because Dan seems to have actual relationships with those folks but money speaks volumes.

I'll say this again: many people don't realize how critical Dan's voice and personality are to the shows he is on. He adjusts his style to the show talent, adjusts his tone to the gravity of the content and seems like an interesting likeable guy. He was a critical counterpoint to Gruber's worst qualities like ego and snark.

It's probably fair to say that I was able to put up with Gruber because of Dan & I am not sure his new cohost will be able to do the same. I also don't want to support Monteiro in any way, shape or form so that will make listening difficult.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Dan speaks: http://5by5.tv/specials/6

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Dan's great, he comes across very professionally. By contrast, Gruber so far has just posted a couple of passive aggressive links on his blog. I'd have expected him to have written some sort of reasoning by now.

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Also, Golden Girls.
Anyone notice that the user reviews for both of 'the talk show' entries on itunes are gone?

Edit: nm, they're completely gone everywhere for every podcast.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

I thought this was note-perfect. He gave just enough information to show some respect to the audience without engaging in wholesale dirty-laundry airing. Makes me like him even more.

Contrast that with Gruber's passive-aggressive posts and Mike Monteiro's mocking twitter feed all weekend.

Ruprecht
Jul 8, 2006

I decided to sleep in the car so my snoring wouldn't bother you, but I left that recording of my snoring so you wouldn't know I'm gone.

Do these people really need to scramble and be dicks for money? Every single one of them has a following large enough - even if only in the design/development world - that they will never want for opportunities as long as they are alive. Gruber could today quit blogging and podcasting and t-shirts and be hired by any number of companies just by telling them his name.

John rambles on his blog about corporate strategy, but for himself, he couldn't leave 5by5 gracefully?

he1ixx posted:

My worry is that Merlin (who also knows Monteiro from the early web design boom), Dalrymple, Siracusa and others leave 5by5 out of allegiance to John. I doubt it because Dan seems to have actual relationships with those folks but money speaks volumes.

Merlin seems to put more his genuine personality out there than other hosts; I can't imagine him wasting his time with these drama games. Are all these guys drama queens?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

While I've only recently discovered the greatness of 5by5, the way The Talk Show ended leaves a sour taste. It's a real shame. Dan and John had a great rhythm and I always looked forward to new episodes.

Can someone explain to me what Merlin means when he refers to things as "ping pong"?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Ping Pong comes from Roderick on the Line, and it means being carelessly racist against Asians.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ping Pong comes from Roderick on the Line, and it means being carelessly racist against Asians.

It's not really exclusively about Asians, though it clearly started out that way.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Cheers guys, thanks. I started listening to Roderick last week. What a strange and amazing podcast!

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

neurotech posted:

Cheers guys, thanks. I started listening to Roderick last week. What a strange and amazing podcast!

Did you start at the beginning? It's like each episode is 50% better than the last. Ep 29 is just incredible, probably one of my all time favorite podcasts.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

AnnoyBot posted:

Did you start at the beginning? It's like each episode is 50% better than the last. Ep 29 is just incredible, probably one of my all time favorite podcasts.

Yeah, I've enjoyed it from the beginning (including the "pilot" episode on Back to Work) but it's really hit a great stride over the last stretch. It's funny, I feel a bit like Merlin plays the role for John on RotL that Dan plays for him on B2W in terms of guiding the conversation but otherwise getting out of his way and letting him do his thing.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

AnnoyBot posted:

I did not - I've been doing a weird reverse-chronological listening order but am now convinced that I just need to queue them all up from #1 onwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

This isn't really 5by5 related, but does anyone know the name of the song used for the intro to each Roderick on the Line episode?

• Locked thread