Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Geekslinger posted:

The problem with that though is he gets a positive reaction from the audience in the live shows when he does it, so that just eggs him on.

So the core problem is people liking what you don't like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BklynBruzer posted:

I think the show with Penn Jillette is one of the best episodes of the podcast yet, honestly - it would have utterly sucked if he'd gone into his politics, but when he sticks to stories about insane parties and poo poo, it's great.

Yea as much as I abhor his politics, I love when Penn talks about his career and all because he has so many great stories and, when not screaming how the poor don't REALLY need help, he is an excellent storyteller. I agree that one was one of the best.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So after a good bit of being blah about the Nerdist I listened to it for the first time in ever because Alton Brown was on. Turns out I like it a lot! Hardwick's one of those guys I really should dislike because I normally hate the overeager happy puppy style of interview but for some reason I found it charming.

So, any real 'must hear' episodes of it, and how's the other shows on the network?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Geekslinger posted:

The Adam Savage one was one of my favorites but I think the recent live one with John Barrowman topped it.

Alton Brown was awesome. I still want to know which Iron Chef tried to sneak pot in as a ingredient...

Gotta be Cat Cora, or maybe Flay just got his confused with oregano.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hardwick is, from what I understand, one of those recovered alcoholics who got REALLY into that mindset of 'everyone is good deep down' which is a totally admirable way to go through life, but yea it leads to him not calling assholes out a lot which can make some interviews unbearable because it's just some dick rambling while Chris just kinda nods.

Oh also

I'm legit happy he's been able to get such great guests, it's a treat for us and he obviously loves getting the chance to meet them, dude's just a big fanboy still and that's adorable :3:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Dark One posted:

He talked about how some brain thing made him explosively over-emotional, and that he had to be medicated to not take every single event in his life as the most important thing ever. But then he stopped taking the medication as an adult and he's totally fine and here's this diatribe about why he has all these awesome movie ideas that he just can't get around to touching and and and

Yea I don't recall him doing anything really bad, he's just a really annoying douchebag who can't shut up about how clever he is. Less 'bad person' and more 'insufferable rear end' I guess.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Tune into next Nerdist where Chris interviews Your Dead Grandma. Yea, he's got a connection or something I don't know, it's gonna be half Doctor Who jokes half unraveling the mystery of death!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea at least most times when it's just some rear end in a top hat who thinks it's going to be 'douchebag jokes around with Hodgman for an episode' are the exact kinds of people he hates, so you can at least enjoy his utter disdain for the entire situation.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
As both a huge nerd and a wrestling fan, I hope Chris has more hilarious wrestlers on, there's a good few other guys like Jericho and Punk who are hilarious and awesome and basically never need to actually discuss wrestling to be good guests.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vincent posted:

What I could get from the encyclopedia dramatica article (before I realized I was reading encyclopedia dramatica and closed the tab so that I could think about my life and the choices that led me to that point) is that she was Neil Cicierga's girlfriend and...that's it?

Yea the only 'dirt' I can find is that she has boobs and posts pictures of herself on the internet, ergo she is a total whorebag.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea he's never pretended this is some proper interview show, it's always 'hey I invited a dude/lady/group I like over to talk with, poo poo's pretty awesome'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Honestly the best way to do it is look at the names and pick the guests you're into. That's the good part of a show like this, you don't need a ton of build up or anything, so just look through and go 'oh yea, he's cool, I wanna hear his deal!' For hostful episodes I personally like most all of them but the ones that I especially enjoyed were Sick Ray, Donkey Sauce, Casa de Queso, and Acid Party.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bunk Rogers posted:

Sex Nerd Sandra and her podcast partner break up on the latest show. Pulling back the hood is interesting, I guess, but listening to them dump their baggage on each other is a bit much.

Dave is the least funny comedian I've heard on Nerdist and this is nothing if not a good thing for anyone who follows the podcast. Why are there so few sex podcasts and why aren't they better?

I haven't listened but this seems like a really lovely thing to do in general. I'll most likely skip this one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Berzerker posted:

I still like the show, I just think that when they have a music person on, Jonah should be more involved (or at least be there). Compare the Divine Fits episode to the Henry Rollins episode and see the jump in quality from having someone who knows literally anything about the subject at hand in the room.

I liked this week's hostful a lot, too.

Yea I really love Nerdist stuff, and I'm pretty sure I enjoy the vast majority of hostful stuff too, but in their group Chris is the stand up/general nerdlord guy and Jonah is the music guy, so when there's a musician on he's the best to talk with them because he can actually talk on a better level.

Chris is a really funny guy who has a great interview method with the focus on a more relaxed atmosphere and all, but it's not hating on the dude to say there are some things his guest hosts do better. That's why there's more than one dude there, they have different skills and expertise and all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I actually liked the last season of Talking Dead, it sounds like a lot of the issues with it came from AMC being shits and obsessed with using the young looking guy to promote Twitter and poo poo. Hopefully the momentum keeps up.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Bob Saget remains just wonderful, him and Chris are just delightful together.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Josh Groban... owns?

He really does.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey guys if you don't listen to Competitive Erotic Fanfiction I don't think you're living a full life. I've only just found it and am just a few episodes deep but it's great.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I'm genuinely curious: Is there anybody here who listens to Nerdist who likes either of the three hosts? Or do you all just listen because they have really great guests?

I like all three of them and I don't know how people get so legitimately mad about Chris making some usually fairly interesting connections that pan out pretty well, or Matt and Jonah being usually pretty good supporting characters.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I like Jonah a lot but Jonah Radio never hooked me, I totally get the 'too written yet too loose' thing, everything feels like they have very rigid scripts with (IMPROVISE) blocked at very specific, orderly, times.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RetroHelix posted:

I liked the GURM episode. I've heard him answer a million ASOIAF questions, so it was nice to hear him talk about other stuff.

Yea I'm a big GoT nerd and I enjoyed hearing just one drat interview that wasn't filled with "HEY THIS THING YOU'VE SAID COUNTLESS TIMES, PLEASE SAY IT AGAIN" and "ANY SPOILERS FOR WINDS OF WINTER?!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea he's said multiple times that he throws himself into his work, especially when things around him are rough. If anything I'd be shocked if we didn't see an upswing in activity or something, though I kinda hope his friends do pull him away and make him relax or something. I know he loves the work and all but dude most likely would best be served by just having some me-time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
From Oliver Stone to Sasha Grey, alright then.

Is she trying to become a real actress now? Can you do that after most people know you from getting slammed?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BobTheCow posted:

I've also come to really enjoy the hostful episodes after listening to enough normal interview episodes and getting to know the different personalities.

Yea after listening to some interviews of people you like I'd reccomend just grabbing a random Hostful (the newest or second newest is one) and seeing if you like those. Honestly aside from when it's someone I super love Hostfuls are some of my favorites.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think it's a bit unfair to hate on Matt, the theme was 'lovely things that happened this year' and yea Chris super won that prize and Jonah easily took second with face cancer dad, but it's not like Matt could just go 'ignore me'. His friends went through, like, cartoonishly terrible things happening to them, pretty much anyone with normal levels of problems would look like a big whiny baby next to them.

Matt's kinda a dumbass but it's really not his fault in a show about tragedy striking he's bee very blessed compared to his friends.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea you kinda need to know some context to the 'I had to help my family', he's basically the only one making any money in that family and whenever anything goes wrong he has to help them, I imagine having to sell a very loved possession to bail them out would be very straining after a history of this poo poo. Dude didn't lose a dad and poo poo but he didn't have a great year either.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the dude's not in a good place emotionally, he had a dude who's dad who he loved dearly die suddenly comforting him about selling a guitar because Chris, for all his flaws, has become a pretty loving balanced human being, but he uses his toys as a form of interaction still and that's super not good. I just felt bad for him (and of course everyone) in that because even though his problems were smaller, he's way less put together than Chris and Jonah so he legit can't handle smaller problems than their poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'll be a Matt apologist for many things but christ is he unfunny on DLM :argh:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh man what a great Hostful episode today. I'm really loving that more of them are being focused on.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hostful are great, for every usually Matt caused groan there's usually way more legit interesting or funny things.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Popelmon posted:

Are you guys still listening to all episodes? I just listen to episodes with people I know/think are interesting and hostfuls now.

Sometimes if I'm bored I'll listen to episodes I skip but nah I listen to dudes who interest me or episodes I hear people saying 'wow that was good', and pretty much every hostful.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FlamingLiberal posted:

So they had William Shatner on for the first time ever and somehow didn't really ask any Star Trek questions.

Probably on purpose, he's said a few times while he obviously loves Trek he is a little bit sick of being only known as Kirk to some people. I imagine there was kinda an understanding of 'yo let's avoid a bunch of Trek stuff please?' when he agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GrandpaPants posted:

I have no idea how The Nerdist has this much clout.

Combo of Lion's Gate owning them and Chris being a legit well liked guy that everyone knows is going to be a positive interview experience. It's a pretty strong mix to appeal to big names.

• Locked thread