Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
:siren: Do not post spoilers from the novel in this thread! :siren:
:siren: There will be spoilers for Fate/stay night in this thread! :siren:
:siren: Please try and keep the Type Moon spergin to a minimum because it is making GBS threads up the thread, thanks! :siren:

Fate/Zero is an adaptation of the four volume novel series written by Gen Urobuchi. It is a prequel to Fate/stay night, a visual novel written by Kinoko Nasu and produced by Type-Moon.

Story
The Holy Grail War is a contest between seven magi, who summon Heroic Spirits (legendary heroes from the past) to fight for them. The last Master/Servant pair standing will obtain the Holy Grail, an omnipotent wish granting vessel. The first three Holy Grail Wars have ended in failure, with no Master obtaining the Grail in any of them. Now, the Fourth Holy Grail War is about to begin in Fuyuki City.

Kiritsugu Emiya is a man who wishes to save others. However, he has come to the realization that in order to save the most people possible, some must be sacrificed. As a result, he has become an extremely efficient killer, capable of using both magic and technology in order to achieve the best possible result (to put it simply, he brings guns to a magic fight). Kiritsugu's intention is to use the Holy Grail to create world peace. In order to do so, however, he must sacrifice everything he loves.

Staff and Other Details
Director: Ei Aoki (Hourou Musuko, Kara no Kyoukai movie 1)
Original Creator: Gen Urobuchi (Madoka Magica, Saya no Uta)
Music: Yuki Kajiura (Madoka Magica, Kara no Kyoukai)
Studio: ufotable (Kara no Kyoukai)
Number of Episodes: It's a two season show, so between 24-26 probably.
Airing/Streaming: The most recent episode can be found at niconico. Older episodes can be viewed on crunchyroll.
Air date: The first episode airs October 1st. I've heard that it's supposed to be a one hour special, but I haven't seen much information on that other than a couple of posts on another message board.

Personal Opinions
I wouldn't consider Fate/Zero to be Urobuchi's best work (Saya no Uta and Madoka Magica are both better), but I would consider the work that best represents his overall style. It's got guns, amazing and over-the-top action scenes, a bit of clever comedy, motorcycles, some really gruesome scenes, expensive military hardware, really awesome characters, and plenty of despair. If ufotable does even a halfway-decent job with this anime it will be one of the best action anime ever made and one of the best shows in a year with a whole lot of great shows already. Yuki Kajiura has already proved that she goes great with Urobuchi's style in Madoka Magica, but I'm a bit sad that we won't get ZIZZ Studio in on this one (their theme for Berserker owns also do not look at the comments). Overall, I'd say I'm rather optimistic about Fate/Zero being worth a watch!

Promo Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_deC1fg5l0

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Character Bios

Team Saber
Kiritsugu Emiya - Kiritsugu is a man who desired to be a hero of justice in his youth, but was eventually faced with the reality that in order to save someone, you must sacrifice another. He has been preparing for the Holy Grail War for the past nine years. During this time, he married Irisviel von Einzbern and gained a daughter, Ilyasviel von Einzbern. Having grown used to living with a loving family, he is torn between his ideal of saving the world and his desire to run away from everything and live a peaceful life with his loved ones. Infamous as a "Magus Killer", Kiritsugu uses a unique blend of magic and modern weaponry (by "unique" I mean he's basically Homura Akemi ver 0.5) in order to exterminate threats.

Irisviel von Einsbern - A homunculus of the Einzbern family and Kiritsugu's loving wife. In order to allow Kiritsugu to act alone, she poses as Saber's Master. In addition, she currently has possession of Saber's sheath, "Avalon", which grants incredible regenerative abilities upon the wearer. As the vessel for the Holy Grail, the completion of the Holy Grail War will lead to her demise in order to allow the Holy Grail to manifest. Irisviel's goal is to help Kiritsugu achieve his ideal, as well as spare her daughter from being burdened with the fate of being the vessel for a possible fifth Holy Grail War.

Saber - True identity: Aturia Pendragon (yeah she's King Arthur). Honorable and chivalrous, Saber fights according to a strict code of honor. Her incompatibility with Kiritsugu has caused Irisviel to become her surrogate Master in his place. Possesses the legendary blade, Excalibur. Believing that she was a poor ruler, Saber desires the Holy Grail in order to rewrite history and allow someone else to become the King.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN2FPRFssAk

Team Archer
Tokiomi Tohsaka - Tokiomi is a man heavily committed to being a proper magus. While he can be arrogant and use others for his own ends without any care, he does have his own code of honor. Husband to Aoi Tohsaka, father of Rin Tohsaka and Sakura Matou. His goal is to obtain the Holy Grail and use it as a gate in order to reach Akasha, the origin of all.

Archer - True identity: Gilgamesh. Gilgamesh is quite possibly the strongest possible servant. With a seemingly endless supply of Noble Phantasms and extraordinary power, Gilgamesh is a force to be reckoned with. However, he is extremely arrogant and prideful, to the point where his greatest enemy could be said to be himself. His unpredictable temperament makes him unsuitable for Tokiomi, who is forced to manipulate Gilgamesh through flattery and praise. Gilgamesh could not care for the Holy Grail, as he already considers it his property (along with everything else in the world). However, he may consider granting it to someone who catches his interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdiFGaWUaSY

Team Rider
Waver Velvet - A young magus studying at the Clock Tower, a Mage's Association institution in London. Since he comes from a weak bloodline, other Magi often look down upon him, including his own teacher. When Waver became aware that his teacher was receiving an artifact in order to summon a Servant for the Holy Grail War, he stole the artifact and traveled to Fuyuki in order to prove himself. Waver is talented, but inexperienced. His cautious manner of engaging in the War is at odds with his Servant's method of openly challenging any enemies. He simply wants to obtain the Holy Grail in order to have his talents recognized, he has no wish he wants granted.

Rider - True identity: Iskander. A towering giant of a man, Rider's only goal in the Holy Grail War is use the Grail to obtain a human body. He wishes to be resurrected as a human in order to conquer the world as a human. I'm also not saying anything more about him other than he owns a whole lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRjyNKZfWts

Team Lancer
Kayneth Archibald El-Melloi - El-Melloi is Waver's teacher. Very talented and from a bloodline with much history, El-Melloi is extremely proud of being a magus. Kiritsugu regards him as the second most threatening opponent in the Holy Grail War. His base of operations at the Fuyuki Hyatt Hotel is on the hotel's thirty-second floor and protected by twenty-four layers of bounded barriers, a countless amount of summoned monsters, various traps, and mystical spatial alterations in the lobby. He is engaged to Sola-Ui Nuada-Re Sophia-Ri. While he seems to love her, she does not return his affections. He sees the Holy Grail War as a simple competition between Magi and wishes to obtain the Grail simply for the honor it will bring him.

Lancer - True identity: Diarmuid Ua Duibhne. A tragic hero from Irish mythology, Diarmuid is a man cursed to have any woman who gazes upon his face fall in love with him. After this lead to his ruin while he was alive, his only wish now is to have a master to faithfully serve in order to make up what he sees as his sin in life. Lancer possesses two Noble Phantasms, the dual lances he wields. One has the power to lay a powerful curse, while the other has the power to break any Magecraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uR7_hlTnO0

Team Caster
Ryuunosuke Uryuu - A serial killer prowling the streets of Fuyuki City, his hobby is women and children. He becomes involved in the Holy Grail War after a joking attempt to summon a demon by killing an entire family at once. While he is the descendant of Magi, he is ignorant of magic and becomes involved in the Holy Grail War purely by chance. His goal in the Holy Grail War is simply to have as much fun as possible in experiencing things that are new to him (such as new and exciting ways to torture and murder children).

Caster - True identity: Gilles de Rais. A former knight under Joan of Arc and a well known serial killer of children. With no objections from Ryuunosuke, he spends much of his time in the Holy Grail War building up a base of operations and engaging in the mass murder of children. He has the power to summon large amounts of demonic servants. He believes Saber to be an amnesiac Joan of Arc, and plans to use the Holy Grail in attempt to restore her memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv5LdTCwL-c

Team Berserker
Kariya Matou - A childhood friend of Tokiomi and Aoi Tohsaka, and a beloved Uncle to both Rin and Sakura. Kariya was meant to be the successor to the Matou family bloodline, but left the family in disgust before his training under the master of the family, the incredibly ancient Zouken Matou, could begin. One year before the Holy Grail War, he discovered that Tokiomi and Aoi gave one of their daughters, Sakura, up for adoption to the Matou family in order to avoid any conflict in the succession of the Tohsaka bloodline. Storming into the Matou household, Kariya finds that Sakura has already been exposed to the Matou family training, which involves being violated by large "crest worms" in order to teach the body magic. Furious with both Zouken and Tokiomi, Kariya agrees to a deal with Zouken in an attempt to save Sakura. His goal is to obtain the Holy Grail and give it to Zouken in exchange for Sakura's freedom from the Matou family, and to obtain revenge against Tokiomi for giving up Sakura to Zouken.

Berserker - True identity: Unknown. A knight clad in black armor. As a member of the Berserker class, this knight has been stricken with insanity in exchange for increased power. His body is constantly covered in a black mist. The mist-like illusion also causes his image to double or triple randomly, making him appear to be a hallucination, and prevents the use of a Master's clairvoyance to read the status of Berserker. In addition, he has the power to infuse any potential weapon with mana and turn it into his own Noble Phantasm, from telephone poles to the Noble Phantasms of other Servants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVZEoF9i-OE

Team Assasain
Kirei Kotomine - The man Kiritsugu considers to be the most dangerous in the Holy Grail War. Kirei cannot find any happiness in life. No matter what quest he undertakes, or what pleasures he experiences, everything feels empty to him. In Kiritsugu, Kirei sees a man who may be able to grant him some manner of understanding as to why. Kirei is a member of the Holy Church's Assembly, an elite Executor. He is agile, talented in martial arts, and is a match for demons and Magi. While not powerful enough to take on a proper Servant head-on, he is still a force to be reckoned with. Apprenticed to Tokiomi, his objective is to simply aid the Tohsaka magus.

Assassin - True identity: Hassan-i Sabbah. The original Assassin, Hassan has the power of concealment. While not a strong servant, Assassin is useful for spying on and killing enemy Masters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnEZgytXGCU

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 23, 2011

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

This show is going to own and should be at the top of people's watch list for the fall season.

Also, motorcycles!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The chances of this show not owning are pretty much around 0% and everyone should watch it. Can't wait to see how they bring across how badass the novel was.

Even if you don't give a drat about Fate Stay/Night or were unfortunate enough to only see the awful anime series, watch this.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I have never read the novel, but I love F/SN so it's embarrassing how excited I am for this.

I'm really loving the design of Berserker. I hope his character can match up to the one in Stay Night.

Metajo
Nov 1, 2006

Created by R-Force Software
Your Console Sucks
I remember reading the translated novel years ago before the translation was stopped half way through the 3rd act, so I will get to see how it ends.
Also I quite enjoyed it despite never watching fate/stay.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
The translation of the novel was so choppy and bare-bones that I'm pumped to see it made into a more accessible format. Plus the fact that ufotable is handling it instead of DEEN means that the animation is going to be amazing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah it's less the Urobuchi connection that has me pumped, it's the fact that it's ufotable. Even the best stuff can be ruined by a lovely studio, but with Kara no Kyoukai it's hard to not be optimistic.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The most succinct way to sum up Fate/Zero is: This is what a war between heroes of history and legend should be like.

I'm pretty ambivalent towards the FSN VN, but F/Zero is just sheer awesome.

(Don't gently caress it up, guys.)

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I'll be watching this, although I'll probably take it in small doses. I haven't read any of the novels, but I have played through F/SN so I have some suspicions on how deep this despair will go.

On the other hand, Saber in a black suit is awesome.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I loving loved F/sn, and especially the Heaven's Feel route (which I hear this draws a lot from plot-wise), and Kara no Kyoukai is one of my favorite animated things ever.

My expectations are pretty high.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

WickedIcon posted:

I loving loved F/sn, and especially the Heaven's Feel route (which I hear this draws a lot from plot-wise), and Kara no Kyoukai is one of my favorite animated things ever.

My expectations are pretty high.

It doesn't really DRAW from it (thankfully), but there is one character who is heavily rooted in the backstory for it. He's very :smithicide:

jonjonaug posted:

op
You disappoint me with your lazy thread names son! At the VERY least one should always go for a dick joke. Having a thread title just be the series title is SHAME. :colbert:

Killbot posted:

On the other hand, Saber in a black suit is awesome.
Urobuchi just has a thing for women in suits I think. Hell, FZ even has an entirely useless character made just so there can be another woman in a suit following Kiritsugu around!

Those of you that haven't played FSN seriously might want to do so though, you're going to have some trouble following things.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
The glory of Rider shall spread throughout the land.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

MadRhetoric posted:

The glory of Rider shall spread throughout the land.

Can't wait to see reactions from those who haven't read the novels. :allears:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Rodyle posted:

You disappoint me with your lazy thread names son! At the VERY least one should always go for a dick joke. Having a thread title just be the series title is SHAME. :colbert:

I gave it a Guns tag what more do you want. "What are we going to do tonight Rider?" "Same thing we do every night Waver. Try to take over the world!" was too long for the field.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

I gave it a Guns tag what more do you want. "What are we going to do tonight Rider?" "Same thing we do every night Waver. Try to take over the world!" was too long for the field.

HIGHWAY TO THE DANGER ZONE

that is all.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

"The magical adventures of Kariya and Friends."

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Rodyle posted:

It doesn't really DRAW from it (thankfully), but there is one character who is heavily rooted in the backstory for it. He's very :smithicide:

Well yeah, that and HF has most of Kotomine's backstory, and if I recall it's the route that actually reveals a little bit about Kiritsugu.

But yeah holy loving poo poo this looks awesome.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

If I was going to go with a title I'd have chosen something like 'BEHOLD MY PEERLESS ANIME!' or something like.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Fate/Zero: Mapo Tofu Own Zone

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

^^ As all zones should be

Staffed by Hourou Musuko, Madoka Magica and Saya no Uta people = holy poo poo I am so watching this :stare:

Actually, wait, there was an adaptation of Saya no Uta? Really? How the hell did that work?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 24, 2011

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Gen Urobuchi wrote Saya no Uta.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I remember watching Fate/Stay night when it was airing in 2006, but other than that I'm clueless about the whole series!

I can't recall much at all about F/sn since it was 5 years ago. Should I rewatch it to understand this "prequel", or will I be fine with at best a vague understanding of the whole thing?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Lamquin posted:

I remember watching Fate/Stay night when it was airing in 2006, but other than that I'm clueless about the whole series!

I can't recall much at all about F/sn since it was 5 years ago. Should I rewatch it to understand this "prequel", or will I be fine with at best a vague understanding of the whole thing?

Ideally, you should play the VN (or read the completed and archived LP), since the anime only covers one of three routes and all three have important plot points that will come into play in F/Zero.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Lamquin posted:

Fate/Zero was written with the intent of being standalone, so you should be fine. Besides, the F/SN anime will do jack squat to prepare you for this, since that is only an adaptation of the first third of the actual plot, and F/Z draws heavily from the last third.

But if you were going to read the VN at any point you might want to do that now, since F/Z will spoil significant plot points without mercy.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Pollyanna posted:

Actually, wait, there was an adaptation of Saya no Uta? Really? How the hell did that work?

There wasn't. Gen Urobuchi wrote Saya no Uta and it owns so I put it there.

Also I put character bios in the second post.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 24, 2011

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Metajo posted:

I remember reading the translated novel years ago before the translation was stopped half way through the 3rd act, so I will get to see how it ends.
Also I quite enjoyed it despite never watching fate/stay.
Actually the translation of the novels was finished back in April.

jonjonaug posted:

There wasn't. Gen Urobuchi wrote Saya no Uta and it owns so I put it there.
An adaptation of Saya no Uta does exist:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Factor_VIII posted:

An adaptation of Saya no Uta does exist:

No it doesn't you shut up with your terrible lies.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
My morbid curiosity is compelling me regarding that comic. It's fairly cheap from what I gather, and my standards are really low, so I might as well. :)

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

WickedIcon posted:

My morbid curiosity is compelling me regarding that comic. It's fairly cheap from what I gather, and my standards are really low, so I might as well. :)

You know not what you do, desist from this foolish course of action at once.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I initially saw the FS/N anime and thought it was okay. Then I saw the light and read seorin's excellent lets play thread, I can't wait to see this.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

jonjonaug, I'm pretty sure it's Tokiomi Tohsaka, not Tokomi.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I've enjoyed Madoka very much, however I only have superficial knowledge of the Fate universe. Most of it is concerned with an obscene amount of swords.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Ideally, you should play the VN (or read the completed and archived LP), since the anime only covers one of three routes and all three have important plot points that will come into play in F/Zero.

I thought the VN was one of those "choose your partner to bone" kind of games, with the anime only being loosely based on it. Shows how much I knew before looking into it just now :downs:

I'll give the LP a read. Hopefully I won't be exposed to things I'd rather not see the characters do :ohdear:.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Man, I should keep my hopes low for this but I really hope this will be an excellent adaptatiom

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
I am not familiar with fate/zero, but the whole idea of possessed F-15 just sealed the deal for me.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Well this seems to be shaping up to be a good season to have been bored enough to venture back into anime. From what I've heard of the novels, even if this only gets half of it, it will still be a pretty kick-rear end show.

Lamquin posted:

I thought the VN was one of those "choose your partner to bone" kind of games, with the anime only being loosely based on it. Shows how much I knew before looking into it just now :downs:

I'll give the LP a read. Hopefully I won't be exposed to things I'd rather not see the characters do :ohdear:.

I read the LP. it's pretty drat great. There are a couple of those scenes but they are really a very minor part and the op has a great way of dealing with them so that you don't have to deal with the horror that is the original material.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I'm kind of dubious about this - I watched a little bit of fate/stay night, but it quickly became rather creepy, with contrived excuses for random sex/near rape to 'recharge their mana' - I ended up not watching the whole thing as the random creepy fanservice kept on getting more and more common.

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

I'm kind of dubious about this - I watched a little bit of fate/stay night, but it quickly became rather creepy, with contrived excuses for random sex/near rape to 'recharge their mana' - I ended up not watching the whole thing as the random creepy fanservice kept on getting more and more common.

But there wasn't anything like that in the anime at all :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Generic FAQ-type question: Will I need to know much or anything about F/SN to watch this?
And I never thought about it before but did Urobuchi work for both Type-Moon and Nitroplus or was this just some guest-writer gig/commission?

• Locked thread